• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

itxaka

Defeatist
felipepl said:
There you go. Name me a PC game that looks better than this.
Please, no modded-to-the-hell Crysis 1 and beautiful beaches please, we're talking graphically, not aesthetically speaking.
Bulletstorm
Just cause 2
Metro2033
Ac broderhood

mxgt

Banned
plagiarize said:
and yet you accept it just fine on console.
Console games never let you customise graphical options.

PC games always have had the freedom of user customisation.

It isn't difficult to grasp, really.

Y2Kev said:
My fair appraisal of this situation is that it is unacceptable and insulting.

EXACTLY! Why am I going to give $60 to a developer that couldn't care less to spend a little effort to offer what some modders could do in an hour or less. Its preposterous and insulting.

plagiarize said:
and yet you accept it just fine on console.

You really are clueless when it comes to PC gaming and logic itself.

scitek

I <3 Memes said:
Timeline

• 2004: Crytek releases Farcry. A first person shooter noted for its large levels, ground breaking graphics and physics, and the ability to travel across levels by vehicle, boat, or on foot.

• 2007: Crytek releases Crysis. A first person shooter noted for its large levels, ground breaking graphics and physics, and the ability to travel across levels by vehicle, boat, or on foot.

• 2008: Crytek releases Crysis Warhead. A first person shooter noted for its large levels, ground breaking graphics and physics, and the ability to travel across levels by vehicle, boat, or on foot.

• 2011: Crytek releases Crysis 2. A first person shooter noted for its tiny levels, slightly above average blurry graphics, near non-existent physics, striped down graphics options, and the ability to travel across levels by foot only.
This is bullshit.

theres a tank level, not to mention you can hijack any of the vehicles the enemies drive

LovingSteam said:
EXACTLY! Why am I going to give $60 to a developer that couldn't care less to spend a little effort to offer what some modders could do in an hour or less. Its preposterous and insulting.

You really are clueless when it comes to PC gaming and logic itself.

mxgt said:
Console games never let you customise graphical options.

PC games always have had the freedom of user customisation.

It isn't difficult to grasp, really.
it doesn't matter if the game is fun, because Crytek have insulted you by only giving you three options for the graphics. well, aside from being able to run the game at whatever resolution you want, but you've only got three options aside from that and aside from things you can set in your graphics card drivers of course.

and, well, aside from letting you choose to play it in 3D or not.

nothing else matters because you can't tweak the graphics outside of those three presets (and resolutions... and 3d).

well i mean, ignoring that you can actually tweak the graphics if you know a bit about how the engine works, and how to specify command line arguments, ignoring that. the fact that you can't do it in a menu is all that matters.

i mean, it's not like long term expert PC gamers such as yourselves could ever be expected to do anything outside of an ingame menu.

it's not like thousands of people that played crysis used one of five preset configs that a modder made, because they could never figure that out. also, i'm sure no one played crysis at one of the built in presets... and even if they did, i'm sure that they only enjoyed the game because they knew, that if they wanted to, that they could go into the advanced menu and make the textures shit, but leave everything else high.

i'm sure it wasn't anything to do with the gameplay, or any of that stuff, because that doesn't matter if you've been insulted.

if you accept something in one game on one platform, it's completely logical that you wouldn't accept it in another game on another platform. it's completely logical that you aren't insulted by console games, but you are insulted when a pc game becomes more like one of those console games that don't insult you.

it's completely logical that these things don't stop you having fun on one system, but make gameplay completely irrelevant on another.

i mean, it's not as if i already put forwards an explanation as to perhaps *why* i don't find it insulting. i mean it's not like that at all. and even if i did, it must have been completely insane and unreasonable, so we'll ignore any explanation that i didn't totally give, and make up something else insane and presumptious instead, but we'll believe *that* of course because we're logical and rational long time expert PC gamers who aren't capable of tweaking a game if we can't do it in menus and aren't capable of enjoying a game unless it's using the latest API, unless, well, you know unless it's an open GL game and then we're just cool and dandy with it naturally.

because it doesn't matter how good Crysis actually looks, what actually matters is that it runs on DX9 instead of DX11. how it actually looks? completely irrelevant because it could look even better if it was on DX11. i mean, it might not and a number of DX11 games don't really look that different to the DX9 ones, but hey you know again, not relevant.

i'm sure you can't understand why people talk about PC gamers and their entitlement, or why console gamers get upset at you for looking down at them when they should be blessed to even touch someone that got to play the same games as them at 1920 x 1200 at 120 fps with 16xAA and 8xMSAA with transparency supersampling.

all you can see is how terribly you've been treated by this company that made a game that you were sort of hopeful about. i mean, it's like they installed Windows ME on your PC. it's that insulting!

i am glad that i stopped being a stuck up PC gamer over ten years ago. i am glad that i can enjoy a game on PC that wasn't designed with PC in mind first.

i am glad that i don't get insulted when a developer tries to bring their game to more platforms. i am glad that i don't let stupid things cloud my vision leading me to overlook a potentially fun game because of secondary bullshit.

if, and i stress the word if because i don't know that i'm going to like (unlike you, who knows you are going to hate the game because THEY HAD THE NERVE TO INSULT YOU SUPER PC OWNER)... if i enjoy Crysis 2, and get more than my $60 worth of enjoyment from it, you can look at me condescendingly and laugh.

'that guy' you can sneer, 'he can't have been playing PC games for long if he is stupid enough to actually ENJOY Crysis 2'.

you can point at me as i smile. 'look at him.' you can say 'he doesn't know better. poor illogical fool. he actually thinks whether or not a game looks good and is fun is more important than whether or not the PC version was secondary to console versions.'

if i like it, you can say all this, and i will not care, because your innability to see past your emotional response to not getting everything you expect from a developer who once made the best PC game ever, your innability to see past that isn't costing me anything.

videogames eh?

plagiarize said:
it doesn't matter if the game is fun, because Crytek have insulted you by only giving you three options for the graphics. well, aside from being able to run the game at whatever resolution you want, but you've only got three options aside from that and aside from things you can set in your graphics card drivers of course.

and, well, aside from letting you choose to play it in 3D or not.

nothing else matters because you can't tweak the graphics outside of those three presets (and resolutions... and 3d).

well i mean, ignoring that you can actually tweak the graphics if you know a bit about how the engine works, and how to specify command line arguments, ignoring that. the fact that you can't do it in a menu is all that matters.

i mean, it's not like long term expert PC gamers such as yourselves could ever be expected to do anything outside of an ingame menu.

it's not like thousands of people that played crysis used one of five preset configs that a modder made, because they could never figure that out. also, i'm sure no one played crysis at one of the built in presets... and even if they did, i'm sure that they only enjoyed the game because they knew, that if they wanted to, that they could go into the advanced menu and make the textures shit, but leave everything else high.

i'm sure it wasn't anything to do with the gameplay, or any of that stuff, because that doesn't matter if you've been insulted.

if you accept something in one game on one platform, it's completely logical that you wouldn't accept it in another game on another platform. it's completely logical that you aren't insulted by console games, but you are insulted when a pc game becomes more like one of those console games that don't insult you.

it's completely logical that these things don't stop you having fun on one system, but make gameplay completely irrelevant on another.

i mean, it's not as if i already put forwards an explanation as to perhaps *why* i don't find it insulting. i mean it's not like that at all. and even if i did, it must have been completely insane and unreasonable, so we'll ignore any explanation that i didn't totally give, and make up something else insane and presumptious instead, but we'll believe *that* of course because we're logical and rational long time expert PC gamers who aren't capable of tweaking a game if we can't do it in menus and aren't capable of enjoying a game unless it's using the latest API, unless, well, you know unless it's an open GL game and then we're just cool and dandy with it naturally.

because it doesn't matter how good Crysis actually looks, what actually matters is that it runs on DX9 instead of DX11. how it actually looks? completely irrelevant because it could look even better if it was on DX11. i mean, it might not and a number of DX11 games don't really look that different to the DX9 ones, but hey you know again, not relevant.

i'm sure you can't understand why people talk about PC gamers and their entitlement, or why console gamers get upset at you for looking down at them when they should be blessed to even touch someone that got to play the same games as them at 1920 x 1200 at 120 fps with 16xAA and 8xMSAA with transparency supersampling.

all you can see is how terribly you've been treated by this company that made a game that you were sort of hopeful about. i mean, it's like they installed Windows ME on your PC. it's that insulting!

i am glad that i stopped being a stuck up PC gamer over ten years ago. i am glad that i can enjoy a game on PC that wasn't designed with PC in mind first.

i am glad that i don't get insulted when a developer tries to bring their game to more platforms. i am glad that i don't let stupid things cloud my vision leading me to overlook a potentially fun game because of secondary bullshit.

if, and i stress the word if because i don't know that i'm going to like (unlike you, who knows you are going to hate the game because THEY HAD THE NERVE TO INSULT YOU SUPER PC OWNER)... if i enjoy Crysis 2, and get more than my $60 worth of enjoyment from it, you can look at me condescendingly and laugh.

'that guy' you can sneer, 'he can't have been playing PC games for long if he is stupid enough to actually ENJOY Crysis 2'.

you can point at me as i smile. 'look at him.' you can say 'he doesn't know better. poor illogical fool. he actually thinks whether or not a game looks good and is fun is more important than whether or not the PC version was secondary to console versions.'

if i like it, you can say all this, and i will not care, because your innability to see past your emotional response to not getting everything you expect from a developer who once made the best PC game ever, your innability to see past that isn't costing me anything.

videogames eh?
Lol all of that and you still misrepresent our concern and frustration? Lol. Nice straw man attempt though. It gave me a chuckle.

LovingSteam said:
Lol all of that and you still misrepresent our concern and frustration? Lol. Nice straw man attempt though. It gave me a chuckle.

"i don't care about what you think! i'm ignoring you, i'm ignoring you hard!"

plagiarize said:

Sorry, I don't like watered down console shooters that are poorly adapted to the PC. Never mind the graphics.

Honestly if it wasn't for the mentality (which drives the core game design) revealed by the lack of visual options I wouldn't give a shit if the menu settings were exactly as they are, provided I still had full access to the *.cfg files since anybody who would care enough to tweak the settings would end up doing so via autoexec because that gives you total control over the visual aspects of the game, far more so than what is available through the UI.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
I'm a customer who has standards and Crytek didn't meet them. of course they owe me. it's my money that made them rich.
No. He's correct they don't owe us anything amd wedon't owe them our money. They want our money requires them earning it and a half ass PC port doesnt quaify.

Metroid-Squadron said:
Official Hate Thread?

It'll probably be the same as the DA2 thread. Filled with haters and trollers before release, but it simmered down after release and is filled with some relatively positive stuff. Even the people who are not thrilled with it don't come across as trolling or really negative. That's my prediction at least.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ysiadmihi said:
I think you're overestimating the draw of this game quite a bit.
You might also be overestimating the sincerity of internet anger. If you combine the page views, the Crysis 2 demo, preview, and review threads got more eyeballs than the Steam thread. People are gonna cave like Carlsbad.

Zzoram

SapientWolf said:
You might also be overestimating the sincerity of internet anger. If you combine the page views, the Crysis 2 demo, preview, and review threads got more eyeballs than the Steam thread. People are gonna cave like Carlsbad.

Maybe. However a lot of the draw of Crysis was the "zomg best graphics", people didn't realize the gameplay was great until after they bought it.

Crysis 2 has the stink of "zomg dirty console port" that will affect sales. Maybe not hugely, but it will definitely hurt both initial and long tail sales on PC.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think the real issue is that while people are more than willing to make thousands of posts criticizing a PC game sequel that targets the console audience, we can't get past a few pages for dedicated PC games like Dawn of War II: Retribution or Shogun II.

Hell, the three demo threads for Crysis 2 are more than double the length of the Crysis 1 OT, and back then we were still reaching 10,000+ posts with Oblivion, so there certainly wasn't a lack of people.

strata8

scitek said:
This is bullshit.

theres a tank level, not to mention you can hijack any of the vehicles the enemies drive
Stuff about Warhead is bullcrap too. Apart from the last level, Warhead was far more restricted than Crysis was. I would say it was around about the same level as Crysis 2.

EDIT: It's pretty obvious Crysis 2 was rushed. I've got no idea what Crytek have been doing for the past 3 years.

Zeliard

Nirolak said:
I think the real issue is that while people are more than willing to make thousands of posts criticizing a PC game sequel that targets the console audience, we can't get past a few pages for dedicated PC games like Dawn of War II: Retribution or Shogun II.

This is true.

Calcaneus

The lack of real graphics settings is pretty shitty, I totally feel you guys on that. I still think these kinds of OPs are just as annoying as the overdone hype ones, though.

Mrbob

Nirolak said:

Hell, the three demo threads for Crysis 2 are more than double the length of the Crysis 1 OT, and back then we were still reaching 10,000+ posts with Oblivion, so there certainly wasn't a lack of people.

I don't know if it is that surprising. The thing is with PC gaming there really isn't one genre everyone gravitates too. Crysis 2 resonates with more people because it is a FPS which is now multi platform and FPS is the most popular genre. So more people get involved in this type of conversation.

Riddler

edit: Beaten

Nirolak said:

It might just be a RTS thing because alot of people didnt care that supreme commander 2 was horribly dumbed down compared to the first one(worse than Warhead > Crysis 2).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would argue this is a pretty widespread issue.

The Conduit |OT| - 65 pages
Crysis |OT| - 46 pages
The Witcher |OT| - 42 pages
Risen |OT| - 20 pages
Shogun 2 |OT| - 7 pages
Drakensang |OT| - 6 pages
NWN2: Storm of Zehir |OT| - 5 pages
DoW2: Retribution |OT| - 4 pages

We have so many platform exclusives get huge threads, even super niche stuff like Valkyria Chronicles, so I would say it's far more of a PC specific issue.

BeeDog

Nirolak said:

Crysis |OT| - 46 pages
Risen |OT| - 20 pages
Shogun 2 |OT| - 7 pages

That's pretty sad, but it is to be expected; it's obvious NeoGAF attracts many more console gamers these days, and has been for a good while.

Crysis 2 will be a solid and decent looking game no doubt about it.

But nothing i've seen from it looks like it'll be the benchmark setter that the original was.

Every hardware enthusiast forum out there has a massive thread or even a whole forum dedicated to crysis screenshots and mods, the excitement around that game was palpable and it sold a lot of us on DX10...it was THE goto title for an eyeball fucking. And it was a bloody good game as well.

To me this just feels like another "AAA" shooter, it'll have it's big marketing splash, 9/10 reviews and 15 minutes in the sun.

Mrbob

Nirolak said:

Crysis |OT| - 46 pages
Risen |OT| - 20 pages
Shogun 2 |OT| - 7 pages

We have so many platform exclusives get huge threads, even super niche stuff like Valkyria Chronicles, so I would say it's far more of a PC specific issue.

Despite all the talk about GAF PC elite, this forum seems to be fairly console driven. I do more PC talk on another forum because of this reason.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BeeDog said:
That's pretty sad, but it is to be expected; it's obvious NeoGAF attracts many more console gamers these days, and has been for a good while.
Right, I understand why it happens, but I feel if people can get so worked up that the Dragon Age 2 OT hits 2500 posts before the game even releases that we should at least be able to get something like Retribution past 200 posts.

Unfortunately there just seems to be no interest in most smaller to medium PC exclusives, both from most forums I've seen and the media in general, so I'm never too surprised when I see a console focused sequel.

Mrbob said:
Despite all the talk about GAF PC elite, this forum seems to be fairly console driven. I do more PC talk on another forum because of this reason.
There are definitely some places that are better about it, but I still find it rather unfortunate, since we do a good job even with niche handheld titles which are largely despised here.

BeeDog

Nirolak said:
Right, I understand why it happens, but I feel if people can get so worked up that the Dragon Age 2 OT hits 2500 posts before the game even releases that we should at least be able to get something like Retribution past 200 posts.

Unfortunately there just seems to be no interest in most smaller to medium PC exclusives, both from most forums I've seen and the media in general, so I'm never too surprised when I see a console focused sequel.

I honestly think some of this can be blamed on forumgoers' attraction to complaining on forums. As you say, when it's a topic that can be hotly debated (e.g. DA2: Shit Mountain), it seemingly attracts a lot of argumentation (and outright bitching). A forum is just an anonymous venue for people to vent. DoWII: Retribution, as one example, doesn't warrant that much discussion/"whining", so its topic is also inevitably smaller.

I'm probably just stating the obvious though. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BeeDog said:
I honestly think some of this can be blamed on forumgoers' attraction to complaining on forums. As you say, when it's a topic that can be hotly debated, it seemingly attracts a lot of argumentation (and outright bitching). It's just an anonymous venue for people to vent. DoWII: Retribution, as one example, doesn't warrant that much discussion/"whining", so its topic is also inevitably smaller.
I definitely agree, but then we get a thread like Valkyria Chronicles that is 180 pages or Uncharted 2 that is 600 pages and they aren't exactly threads with lots of complaining.

Nirolak said:
I definitely agree, but then we get a thread like Valkyria Chronicles that is 180 pages or Uncharted 2 that is 600 pages and they aren't exactly threads with lots of complaining.
That's one of the tools I use when I'm on the fence about buying a game a few months after release. I go to the forums and see what people are talking about. If they're all bitching and moaning and waiting for patches that's not a great sign. When they're all patting themselves on the back for having a great match the night before, and discussing tactics or whatever, that's probably worth a buy.

Funny-ass OT. Man, some of you guys are acting like this is the worst OT ever... does no one remember this travesty?

That is a bad OT. This one is funny. Plus, I think he's in the right, I don't think anyone else volunteered to make a C2 OT. Doesn't it work by a volunteer basis?

I always thought it worked on a volunteer basis.

sleepykyo

Nirolak said:

I don't know. I could have sworn there were complaints in either thread.

VC
-Sega's marketing is terrible
-Why is no buying it
-Animu

U2
-Health too high/too low
-Perks too strong/not diversified enough

Also console games are standardized so all experiences with games are relatable among the base. With pc games everyone's experience is unique, due to his/her own hardware, programs going on in the background and personal preferences.

antonz said:
Well in traditional fashion the 360 version leaked. wonder when they will bitch about pc piracy

Well, sure. But it's not about when it leaks or anything: it's about the number of people willing to download and play it. There are far more PC owners than those with cracked 360s or PS3s.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Funny-ass OT. Man, some of you guys are acting like this is the worst OT ever... does no one remember this travesty?

That is a bad OT. This one is funny. Plus, I think he's in the right, I don't think anyone else volunteered to make a C2 OT. Doesn't it work by a volunteer basis?

I always thought it worked on a volunteer basis.
There are no official rules, but generally it goes to whoever volunteers first, unless it's a sequel, at which point the person who made the previous game's thread gets first dibs.

Mickey Knox both volunteered first and made the Crysis 1 OT, so he got to do this one.

sleepykyo said:
I don't know. I could have sworn there were complaints in either thread.

VC
-Sega's marketing is terrible
-Why is no buying it
-Animu

U2
-Health too high/too low
-Perks too strong/not diversified enough

Also console games are standardized so all experiences with games are relatable among the base. With pc games everyone's experience is unique, due to his/her own hardware, programs going on in the background and personal preferences.
Well sure, there are complaints in every OT, but what I mean is that neither was one of those threads that are defined by people arguing about whether the game is good or not or complaining about its every aspect.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DennisK4 said:
This is how I feel.

The only real piss-take |OT| threads I can remember are the two Dragon Age threads by Evilore and now this one from MickeyKnox. Its not like a torrent of satirical OTs or anything.

yes, its purely a coincidence that those two games happen to be following up a strong PC focused original game with a lot of interest from the PC community, with watered down multiplatform offerings which don't appear to be taking advantage of the PC in any way.

As for how can we judge as we've only seen multiplayer, well doesn't the fact that we've only seen multiplayer, and reviews are embargoed create some sense of doubt in your mind?

mrklaw said:
yes, its purely a coincidence that those two games happen to be following up a strong PC focused original game with a lot of interest from the PC community, with watered down multiplatform offerings which don't appear to be taking advantage of the PC in any way.

As for how can we judge as we've only seen multiplayer, well doesn't the fact that we've only seen multiplayer, and reviews are embargoed create some sense of doubt in your mind?
just because we can't talk about specifics of the leak doesn't mean it didn't happen. there are plenty of people that have played that talking about the single player and posting impressions elsewhere.

and no, the embargo doesn't worry me because it's standard business for EA these days it seems. if only Dragon Age 2 had the same embargo i'd be worried, but given Dead Space 2 also had it... the embargo says nothing to me of the quality of the game.

this thread is massive because peoples emotions are running much higher. i honestly think that Warhead would have received similar response if it had been on consoles. PC gamers would have been more offended by the dumbed down gameplay, more linear level design, change of preset names to 'gamer' and 'enthusiast' and the like.

i think we're all a little disappointed if we were fans of the original. i just think people here on gaf are for the most part capable of looking past that and forming an opinion of the game as it is, rather than ranting about how it is unacceptable that they can't tweak graphical options in the menus of the game or how it's only running on DX9.

i'm only trying to reason with these people for their own sake. these 'principles' at best will get them not to play a game they wouldn't have played anyway (say if Crysis 2's single player is universally criticised). at worst, these principles will get rob these people of a fun sequel to a game they obviously loved.

Top Bottom