• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

2hyyy54.png

?

nib95

Banned
Fortinbras said:
Crysis 2 looks better but the performance is worse.

The performance and IQ. With respect to textures, resolution, AA, AF, animations and post processing. Far as I can tell only the lighting is better in Crysis 2.

Animator

Does the friend invites and squad system work on the pc mp? I never managed to squad up with anyone in the demo because the invites didnt work.

I think I'll pick up the ps3 version after work based on what I've seen and read.

Anyone know how the upgrades you earn carry over into multiple playthroughs? Do you pick which weapons you take into a chapter?

I wonder if the highest difficulty is balanced assuming you go in fresh or assuming you're bringing in a ton of upgrades. Do the weapons get "crazy" say like RE4?

mbmonk

I don't care if the areas are less open in Crysis 2 than Crysis 1 because they either a) choose a city setting because they wanted to do something different or b) did so because the limitations of consoles. The key is the areas are less open. The part that made Crysis 1 so enjoyable and unique to me was the fairly large areas I got to play around in. When Crysis 1 turned into a corridor shooter it was just "okay" in terms of gameplay.

So regardless of why they did it, removing those really large areas from the game just takes away the draw for me in terms of must have status. I still will pick up the game eventually. For me personally there just doesn't sound like there is a unique experience that I can only get from Crysis 2 that I haven't had with Crysis 1 (except the graphics of course).

I will keep checking in on this thread to see if my above assumptions are incorrect. If they have truly large open areas I will pick it up ASAP :p

PS: I am not saying Crysis 2 is a bad game because it may lack these open areas. Those were just the draw to Cry1 for me. Cry 2 might have a different draw for me, but I haven't found it yet.

asdad123

Getting my free copy for 360 soon (EA shipped me a cancelled order and told me that "I could keep the title on them because there was a rare mix-up in their ordering system")

I was gonna wait til I could get it for cheaper than $60, but you cant get much cheaper than free :D

Gonna attempt to play it in 3D mode tonight after work.

mbmonk said:
I don't care if the areas are less open in Crysis 2 than Crysis 1 because they either a) choose a city setting because they wanted to do something different or b) did so because the limitations of consoles. The key is the areas are less open. The part that made Crysis 1 so enjoyable and unique to me was the fairly large areas I got to play around in. When Crysis 1 turned into a corridor shooter it was just "okay" in terms of gameplay.

So regardless of why they did it, removing those really large areas from the game just takes away the draw for me in terms of must have status. I still will pick up the game eventually. For me personally there just doesn't sound like there is a unique experience that I can only get from Crysis 2 that I haven't had with Crysis 1 (except the graphics of course).

I will keep checking in on this thread to see if my above assumptions are incorrect. If they have truly large open areas I will pick it up ASAP :p

PS: I am not saying Crysis 2 is a bad game because it may lack these open areas. Those were just the draw to Cry1 for me. Cry 2 might have a different draw for me, but I haven't found it yet.

Is this big enough for you, for example?

(I feel like my post got forgotten for being last on the page)

-bakalhau- said:
This is a pretty big area, you'll be going all the way from here to the building on the center of the screen. It's not only long, but wide as well, by my standards, although maybe not as wide as your standard Crysis 1 area.

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/crysis21.png/

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mr_Brit said:
Best textures for the time it came out.
And best particle effects, even now.

I'm thinking about jumping on the $15 off at Amazon digital download. Are there any better deals out there?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Areas are way larger than you might expect AND the time between loading screens is quite long (as in, the levels are huge).

It never reaches the sheer size of Crysis 1, obviously, but that doesn't mean it's a corridor shooter. Not even close.

My 360 Live membership ran out and I don't wanna renew it so I went ahead and just picked up the PS3 version (as well as Red Dead cuz it was $30 :p ) Will post impressions soon.

mbmonk

-bakalhau- said:
Is this big enough for you, for example?

(I feel like my post got forgotten for being last on the page)

I am impressed; it is larger than I expected. Still seems a bit narrower than Cry1 but not bad overall.

dark10x said:
Areas are way larger than you might expect AND the time between loading screens is quite long (as in, the levels are huge).

It never reaches the sheer size of Crysis 1, obviously, but that doesn't mean it's a corridor shooter. Not even close.

I didn't mean to suggest that Cry2 was "just a corridor shooter". I can see how my post would suggest it though.

RedSwirl

Mystery said:
ixiRVl.jpg

These are the graphics options for the retail game. :(

Reminds me of last-gen console games whenever they got ported to PC. Reviews are looking good in terms of the sandbox level design though. And in my opinion the streamlined nanosuit controls seem to make sense.

Picked up the 360 version earlier and played the campaign for about an hour and right now I am underwhelmed, just finished Killzone 3 a week or two ago and this pretty much pales in comparison to it in every area so far... I was expecting a lot more.

The visuals are great but seem kind of blurry to me, the guns sound pretty weak and the score seems kicks in at questionable times during the campaign. I just really miss the "weight" of each character in Killzone. Crysis 2 feels like every other FPS now where you are just "skating" around. Also the animations and feel of shooting someone just feels off compared to KZ3. I think I'm gonna restart on a higher difficulty level because it's been way too easy on the 2nd one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, I am having one annoying issue. For some reason, the melee attacks stops working randomly. Like, I load up the game, die, and then when I try to use the melee attack from then on it just doesn't work (the button does nothing). If I restart the game, everything is fine again.

No idea why this happens. Happened a couple times thus far. :\

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well after deciding to buy this instead of renting I went to Best Buy and picked it up with $20 in Reward Zone money and got a little surprise, a free $10 BB gift card with purchase. Woot.

sTaTIx

shinobi602 said:
Looks better to my eyes.
Crysis 2 looks "better" to my eyes also; on the purely subjective basis of the art and visual style, I prefer the character designs and modern-day metropolitan environments of Crysis 2. However, Killzone 3 clearly has a significant technical edge, with a higher level of detail, image quality, and overall polish (on consoles).

For example Killzone 3:
  • runs in full 720p, as opposed to sub-HD.
  • has a far-superior AA system.
  • has parallax mapping on many surfaces (including snow footsteps and bullet holes), whereas Crysis 2 cut out parallax mapping altogether (on consoles)
  • actually runs at a relatively smooth and consistent framerate.
  • has more detailed texturing, even when right looking up-close at the surface.

Crysis 2, by comparison, experiences extreme framerate dips into the 15-20 fps range during its more intensive scenes. It has glaring texture and geometry pop-up that is some of the worst I've seen in a non open-world game. It has markedly lower-detail textures than KZ3, while completely lacking parallax mapping. And, the overall image has more jagged edges because of the sub-HD resolution and worse AA implementation.

Personal, subjective opinions on what is more "visually appealing" to you are meaningless. The biggest question one should be asking, when you want to do a fair and objective comparison between the graphics of two games, is which game is more impressive technologically?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
dark10x said:
OK, I am having one annoying issue. For some reason, the melee attacks stops working randomly. Like, I load up the game, die, and then when I try to use the melee attack from then on it just doesn't work (the button does nothing). If I restart the game, everything is fine again.

Are you using mouse/keyboard or an x360 controller?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
dark10x said:

I guess a pc patch is on it's way then... Seems odd that a bug like that can make past quality control unless they were really focusing on the console versions.

feel

Can't freaking wait! I've been avoiding most of the latest media, but the few 360 or ps3 gifs/pics/vids I couldn't resist clicking, impressed me very much! Not that hard to believe ign when they say it's the best looking game on consoles. And even if that's not true (really who gives a fuck) the reactions of preoccupied sony fans were interesting.

styl3s said:
I like how the first achievement is "Can it run crysis?" after the first sequence

fucking hilarious
ha!! That is a strong contender for best achievement on live.

edit- fine

sTaTIx said:
Crysis 2 looks "better" to my eyes also; on the purely subjective basis of the art and visual style, I prefer the character designs and modern-day metropolitan environments of Crysis 2. However, Killzone 3 clearly has a significant technical edge, with a higher level of detail, image quality, and overall polish (on consoles).

For example Killzone 3:
  • has parallax mapping on many surfaces (including snow footsteps and bullet holes), whereas Crysis 2 cut out parallax mapping altogether (on consoles)

Crysis 2, by comparison, experiences extreme framerate dips into the 15-20 fps range during its more intensive scenes. It has glaring texture and geometry pop-up that is some of the worst I've seen in a non open-world game. It has markedly lower-detail textures than KZ3, while completely lacking parallax mapping. And, the overall image has more jagged edges because of the sub-HD resolution and worse AA implementation.

Personal, subjective opinions on what is more "visually appealing" to you are meaningless. The biggest question one should be asking, when you want to do a fair and objective comparison between the graphics of two games, is which game is more impressive technologically?
if you're even going to attempt to do this, don't fail to mention the significant things Crysis 2 does that KillZone 3 doesn't.

seeds19

Banned
My experience with the two versions of the game (360,ps3) says IGN is liying, or trolling, the only things 360 version has better are framerate and resolution (and the framerate isnt solid in 360 version and the framerate of ps3 version isnt awful) , the other things, illumination textures shadows etc... are the same on both platforms (i think illumination and shadows in ps3 is better but who knows depend on your eyes).
BTW the game looks great on both platforms, the resolution on 360 is a plus, but the other things performs equal on both platforms, and under mi eyes the ps3 version does better job with illumination and shadows.

chris121580

Picked it up for 360 and put an hour into it at lunch. Really enjoyed what I've played so far. Great opening sequence too and the game is gorgeous. Controls feel a little floaty at times so that'll take some getting used to

styl3s

So i have been playing a bit, i put it on the easiest mode for the first play through than vet than super soldier.

the AI is pretty smart even on the easiest mode, either that or they have super eyeballs that can see me cloaked 100 feet away, either way it makes the stealth a little more challenging which i like, i can tell im going to have a pretty tough time on vet/super soldier, just wanting to enjoy the game right now.

The graphics not that i really care are fantastic, i agree with journalist saying it's the best looking game on consoles, the lighting/shadows and textures look better than any other game i have played this gen, performance is great i haven't had any problems with texture popping (notorious with unreal engine games) nor have i had any FPS loss, or any that is noticeable, if the game really is 12-14 hours i can see it being longer if you stealth through most of it because im still on the first stage but im sneaking around like batman trying to stealth kill everyone and believe you me it's not that easy because the wrong step even on easy mode and their superman ears and eyeballs flag your ass.

i am having a fucking blast with this game, more so than any other major title this year so far, i hope other companies can use this engine because it truly is beautiful and great and i hope more companies do longer FPS SP, im tired of 4 hour games.

i haven't played it enough to rate it but so far this is my favorite game this year, im sure that will change Q3-Q4 of this year but im digging it.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Having fun (about 3 hours in) on PS3.

So far the framerate is fairly stable, but eww @ some of the interior environments.

It's definitely one of the most impressive PS3 games graphically when outdoors.

Indoors is a completely different story.

mbmonk

Letters said:
Can't freaking wait! I've been avoiding most of the latest media, but the few 360 or ps3 gifs/pics/vids I couldn't resist clicking, impressed me very much! Not that hard to believe ign when they say it's the best looking game on consoles. And even if that's not true (really who gives a fuck) the reactions of butthurt sony loyalists were worth it.

Quality post here! Juniors take note.

RedSwirl

Hold on. If the three pre-set graphics options are "High, Very High, and Extreme," does that make "High" the low option? What fucking sense does this make?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh yeah, this is out now.

So, which looks better on PS3: Killzone 3 or Crysis 2? Sounds like they might have pulled it off.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
RedSwirl said:
Hold on. If the three pre-set graphics options are "High, Very High, and Extreme," does that make "High" the low option? What fucking sense does this make?

From the piccies I've seen, you can hardly tell the difference and that's on a static screen. In motion I dont think you'd notice at all.

pix

RedSwirl said:

High is the new Low. Low sounds fuckin weak, and it sounds better when you can play a game on high settings instead of low.

sTaTIx said:

For example Killzone 3:

plagiarize said:
if you're even going to attempt to do this, don't fail to mention the significant things Crysis 2 does that KillZone 3 doesn't.
Indeed. He makes a long, detailed post about being objective and subjective, including several neatly laid out bullet-points, yet somehow forgets to mention Crysis 2's lighting, shadows, and reflections, and whatever else the game does better. Thanks for the objective opinion, sTaTIx.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Snuggler said:
Oh yeah, this is out now.

So, which looks better on PS3: Killzone 3 or Crysis 2? Sounds like they might have pulled it off.

Only 3 hours in, but if Crysis 2 had no indoor environments, it would be Crysis 2 easily.

It really is amazing the scale of some of the environments, especially considering the complexity of a city setting.

The same cannot be said about the indoor environments which so far, are few and far between thankfully.

The indoor intro sequence from KZ3 left quite an impression however, and it's hard not to compare, despite how apples/oranges the comparison is

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
cyberheater said:
From the piccies I've seen, you can hardly tell the difference and that's on a static screen. In motion I dont think you'd notice at all.
I think it mostly controls the LoD. I hope the config files are editable.

Top Bottom