• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

cgcg

Snuggler said:
Oh yeah, this is out now.

So, which looks better on PS3: Killzone 3 or Crysis 2? Sounds like they might have pulled it off.

The subpar framerate alone disqualifies it. Both versions actually.

mbmonk

RedSwirl said:
Hold on. If the three pre-set graphics options are "High, Very High, and Extreme," does that make "High" the low option? What fucking sense does this make?

LMAO.

It's to help with PC self esteem. That way you don't have to tell other people or yourself you are running Cry2 on Low. ... Hey guys my rig can run Cry2 on High. SWEET!

It's like restaurants where medium is the new small etc.

eso76

on X360 it looks better than KZ2 to me, not to mention areas are a lot larger and much more complex in structure.
Haven't played KZ3 yet, but i read somewhere that they dropped object based motion blur ? if that's the case that's too bad, because like i stated previously, motion blur adds a lot to the overall look of a game

The subpar framerate alone disqualifies it. Both versions actually.

does KZ3 run smoother than its prequel ? Because KZ2 wasn't smoother than Crysis 2 at all.
I don't understand how KZ2 never raised framerate complaints, i swear there were entire chapters struggling to achieve 20fps on my Ps3.

mbmonk said:
LMAO.

It's to help with PC self esteem. That way you don't have to tell other people or yourself you are running Cry2 on Low. ... Hey guys my rig can run Cry2 on High. SWEET!

It's like restaurants where medium is the new small, and extra large is the new large.
Yup, it's basically a PR move from Crytek/EA. Having "low" or even, god forbid, "medium" settings would lead to the same stigma Crysis 1 had being attached to the sequel. It's kind of insulting that they think we're that dumb.

Anyway, my copy just arrived. What a glorious day this will be...

batiatus.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D lol

RedSwirl

pix said:
High is the new Low. Low sounds fuckin weak, and it sounds better when you can play a game on high settings instead of low.

They should do what other console ports with preset graphics settings do, rename "low" to "fastest".

Massa

eso76 said:
on X360 it looks better than KZ2 to me, not to mention areas are a lot larger and much more complex in structure.
Haven't played KZ3 yet, but i read somewhere that they dropped object based motion blur ? if that's the case that's too bad, because like i stated previously, motion blur adds a lot to the overall look of a game

does KZ3 run smoother than its prequel ? Because KZ2 wasn't smoother than Crysis 2 at all.
I don't understand how KZ2 never raised framerate complaints, i swear there were entire chapters struggling to achieve 20fps on my Ps3.

KZ3 runs at a solid 30fps in the single player campaign. It also didn't drop motion blur.

BeeDog

eso76 said:

Yeah, KZ3 is a lot smoother than KZ2, and the motion blur is toned down significantly but still present. The KZ3 environments are often larger than KZ2's levels as well.

EDIT: beaten.

eso76

BeeDog said:
Yeah, KZ3 is a lot smoother than KZ2, and the motion blur is toned down significantly but still present. The KZ3 environments are often larger than KZ2's levels as well.

thanks, that's good to know

iam220

wj9Dn.jpg

PS3 has extra effects trurned on? (picture distortion to left and right). Or is that just a bad screenshot taken with the water effect on the screen?

Corky said:
Anyone got some performance impressions of the pc-version?
I have a q6600 at stock speed, 9800gtx at stock speed, 4gb ddr2 ram. Playing on Very High (ie Medium) I hover around 30fps. Drops to 25ish sometimes in crowded outdoor scenes, but mostly sticks around 30. Looks really good. Edit: 1680x1050.

I'm missing the small things from 1. Manually picking up weapons/ammo, the "interactivity" of the environment (explosions rocking everything around it), etc. The AI is pretty dumb, too.

yeah, ign are mad. unless these LOT screens are mislabelled (and i doubt they can be because the PS3 ones do look lower res) the lighting and shadows in the PS3 version seem to be superior. some textures better on PS3 also.

sTaTIx

plagiarize said:
if you're even going to attempt to do this, don't fail to mention the significant things Crysis 2 does that KillZone 3 doesn't.
When I wrote my post, I never meant for it to be a long, detailed list of pros and cons between the engines of the two games. It was just to briefly state my belief that all these arguments about Crysis 2 "looking better," or being a match graphically/technically for KZ3, should be put to rest. Mind you, I didn't list EVERY single way in which Killzone 3 is technically superior either; there are few other advantages I didn't mention for brevity's sake.

Insofar as things Crysis 2's engine does under the hood that's better than KZ3 (again, comparing the console versions only), the only thing that I can notice is that Crysis 2 uses a deferred radiosity technique (a form of global illumination), as compared to the pre-baked GI model of KZ3... which is a pretty cool, fresh bullet point on Crysis 2's side, I must admit.

----------------------------------------------------

BeeDog said:

It was a deliberate artistic decision on the developers' part to make the motion blur less overbearing or obvious; it is in no way of lower quality, let alone "missing." This would be akin the them tweaking the shutter speed of the camera in the engine to deliberately reduce or increase the amount an object blurs (or for how long) when in motion.

To be honest, the only reason I think Guerilla toned down the motion blur from KZ2 was because they (wrongly) listened to the jabs by ignorant fanboys who insulted Killzone 2's for being "too blurry."

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
petethepanda said:
I have a q6600 at stock speed, 9800gtx at stock speed, 4gb ddr2 ram. Playing on Very High (ie Medium) I hover around 30fps. Drops to 25ish sometimes in crowded outdoor scenes, but mostly sticks around 30.

oh that's nice, which resolution?

Would anyone be so kind to tell me how the *PC* version plays on *multiplayer* with a 360 controller?

They disabled auto-aim I know - I understand it for obvious reasons - but it saddens me because I was loving being able to play normally. Did they, maybe, lower the auto-aim, and not disabled it completely?

Can anyone tell me if you can play decently, or if you are spreading bullets all over the place comparing to the demo?

Dyno

I got my PS3 copay!!! People are saying 360 looks nicer but I still refuse to pay for multiplayer and besides, we know that Gaffers, being the wealth of knowledge that they are, can get a bit too nit-picky when it comes to graphics.

This whole KZ3 vs. Crysis 2 is a bit silly. I have KZ3 and I love it but above anything else it is a very cinematic game. Powerful, yes but it looks over the top because of some very adroit tricks. They nailed their style but it's made for planet Vekta and the Killzone story.

Crysis 2 on the other hand is a technical showcase. They want that engine out there in other devs. hands and so I think it will have more variablity right off the bat to say nothing of it being multiplatform.

But why even talk about this? Why can't we just love it all? Do you realise that this has been one of the best seasons in video game history? Dead Space 2, Killzone 3, Bulletstorm, and now we get this beast of a game on a console.

It's fucking awesome! What shit are you shooting at? I am shooting all the motherfucking shit!

kitch9

Banned
iam220 said:
wj9Dn.jpg

PS3 has extra effects trurned on? (picture distortion to left and right). Or is that just a bad screenshot taken with the water effect on the screen?

PS3 version is missing some lighting from the flame is all I can gather.

Dyno

iam220 said:

From those pictures it looks like the god beams are distorting ones' vision.

For how many seconds do you think you are in that corridor?

sTaTIx said:
When I wrote my post, I never meant for it to be a long, detailed list of pros and cons between the engines of the two games. It was just to briefly state my belief that all these arguments about Crysis 2 "looking better," or being a match graphically/technically for KZ3, should be put to rest. Mind you, I didn't list EVERY single way in which Killzone 3 is technically superior either; there are few other advantages I didn't mention for brevity's sake.

Insofar as things Crysis 2's engine does under the hood that's better than KZ3 (again, comparing the console versions only), the only thing that I can notice is that Crysis 2 uses a deferred radiosity technique (a form of global illumination), as compared to the pre-baked GI model of KZ3... which is a pretty cool, fresh bullet point on Crysis 2's side, I must admit.
you only listed the things that KZ3 did better than Crysis 2. by not listing the areas in which they are equivalent or the areas in which Crysis 2 surpasses KillZone 3, how do you expect to put anything to rest?

the argument can be made one way or the other as to which is ultimately more impressive, and i'd say technically kz3 is probably more impressive, however as a mature and exclusive engine on the PS3 you'd expect that. that Cry Engine 3 looks this good on the first attempt on a multiplatform game is pretty much mind blowing.

and taking the final effect into account i'd give it to Crysis 2 personally, because lighting for me is a huge deal, and i prefer that 'look' of it to the 'look' of KZ3. but then i was one of those crazy people that praised Halo 3's graphics because of how amazing the lighting in that game was for the time.

iam220

Also, is the ps3 version in that shot missing some game assets? Look at that big silver duct (or something?) in the xbox 360 version. It seems to be missing on the ps3.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
iam220 said:
Also, is the ps3 version in that shot missing some game assets? Look at that big silver duct (or something?) in the xbox 360 version. It seems to be missing on the ps3.
That's true but otherwise the res is the only difference.

LovingSteam said:
Hardly any PC impressions so far. Hmm.
No one cares about that port :p

This is a console game now :/

LovingSteam said:
Hardly any PC impressions so far. Hmm.
most people are still downloading i think :) i haven't picked up my copy from the store yet and won't be able to until later on this evening. i'll post them when i have them though.

xion4360

iam220 said:
PS3 has extra effects trurned on? (picture distortion to left and right). Or is that just a bad screenshot taken with the water effect on the screen?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it was a momentary effect that was captured on the PS3 screenshot, but missed on the 360 one.. for example, a splash of water onscreen. Otherwise the 360 version looks easier on the eyes

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The issue I have with these type of competitive face-offs is that they are so busy trying to isolate the differences as a point-scoring exercise you get very little real sense of how impacting to the overall experience (or not) they are.

If a port is egregiously poor, I see the reason in highlighting the fact and maybe deducting review points. However it seems like most of the time it boils down to the writer looking to arbitrarily call "winner" and "loser".

Not helpful at all in my opinion.

bj00rn_

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Are we looking at the same pictures? I see little to no difference in the lighting in that shot.

I think he's referring to that metal stuff missing or not showing in the PS3 pic. But it seems like the LOT guys are a bit lazy when grabbing screens. They should be putting in some extra effort when taking screenshots from scenes with a lot of animation (flashing lighting, water animation etc.), if they don't then the grabs are basically useless. That badge-pic of theirs is f.ex. already "debunked".

belvedere

Junior Butler
LiquidMetal14 said:
That seems to favor the PS3 version outside of resolution issues. The lighting on PS3 looks much better. They should have thrown in some PC shots :p

Which makes that water picture above even more confusing.

Nearly ever PS3 pic in these shots look slightly better.

seeds19

Banned
iam220 said:

Yeah its missing in the ps3 shot, but this problem is in two versions (360 has missing buildings in outdoors, ps3 no)

sTaTIx

iam220 said:
It's there. It's just hard to see in that screenshot because it's not being lit up by the spark of light at that particular frame in time, unlike the 360 version.

iam220 said:
http://i.imgur.com/wj9Dn.jpg

Having seen HD footage of that scene on both consoles, I would say that the distortion effects you're seeing are simply due to the water running down on the player's face at that particular point in time. The same water distortion effect is present in both the 360 and PS3 versions.

BeeDog

Why do people use LoT as any form of evidence? Hasn't it been shown that they are often incorrect in their face-offs? Always assumed that site had a bad rep when it came to comparing games.

sn00zer

iam220 said:
wj9Dn.jpg

People complaining which version is better haha HAHAHAHA...seriously guys the game looks almost entirely the same unless you go at it with a microscope or pixel zoom...give it a rest...

I remember when gamers didnt know what IQ was...now it seems to be the ultimate deal breaker... there is always away to complain I guess

xion4360

bj00rn_ said:
That badge-pic of theirs is f.ex. already "debunked".

My first thought when I saw that was, texture pop-in? I seriously doubt there would be a difference in texture quality like that.. especially favoring the PS3 in a multiplatform title

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BeeDog said:
Why do people use LoT as any form of evidence? Hasn't it been shown that they are often incorrect in their face-offs? Always assumed that site had a bad rep when it came to comparing games.
Which makes their findings more confusing as everyone seems to be shouting from the rooftops that the 360 version looks better. I don't think there's a doubt about the resolution but the rest has been very alarming.

BeeDog said:
their screenshots are consistant with the other PS3 screens i've seen in that the PS3 seems to have lighting more akin to the PC version (and more aesthetically pleasing at least to my eyes anyway).

it could be down to selective screenshotting, but i don't think so at this point.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Which makes their findings more confusing as everyone seems to be shouting from the rooftops that the 360 version looks better. I don't think there's a doubt about the resolution but the rest has been very alarming.
well, the obvious differences favour the 360. better framerate and less blurry visuals are the sort of things you can spot without putting the games side by side. differences in lighting aren't so easy to discern that way, but are readily apparent when you put two screenshots side by side.

given that the LOT screenshots give you no idea about framerate, that should be your answer there.

StevieP

Banned
-bakalhau- said:
Would anyone be so kind to tell me how the *PC* version plays on *multiplayer* with a 360 controller?

They disabled auto-aim I know - I understand it for obvious reasons - but it saddens me because I was loving being able to play normally. Did they, maybe, lower the auto-aim, and not disabled it completely?

Can anyone tell me if you can play decently, or if you are spreading bullets all over the place comparing to the demo?

Playing normally means you were playing this shooter with a keyboard and mouse :p

grendelrt

Just a heads up to crossfire users, there is a extreme flickering issue when running crossfire. So far I have seen people with 4,5,and 6 series cards reporting it. I have a 5970 and had to disable one GPU to get around it for now. You would think between ATI and Crytek someone would have caught this :O

xion4360 said:
My first thought when I saw that was, texture pop-in? I seriously doubt there would be a difference in texture quality like that.. especially favoring the PS3 in a multiplatform title

LoT hates texture pop in and tends to focus on it a lot. In their Homefront comparison they have a similar pic but point out that they showed the 360 screen the way they did because it takes a lot longer for the texture to pop in.

Top Bottom