• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

mbmonk said:
I don't care if the areas are less open in Crysis 2 than Crysis 1 because they either a) choose a city setting because they wanted to do something different or b) did so because the limitations of consoles.

The real answer is c) Crytek sought out to prove to publishers that the engine could do urban environments as well as forests and jungles. Doing this gives them a better chance at licensing the engine out as a true competitor to Unreal. Most games in the genre are urban or hard structure based with a side of open terrain.

You have to understand, Crysis like Gears is a game but also an advertisement for the technology and the real money is in licensing tech. Unreal Engine 3 is around a million dollars a sku.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Revolutionary said:
lol no, I wish it were something that simple. Two of my friends are having the same issue. I doubt it's us.

Is yours a retail disc or a digital download?

scitek

dark10x said:
The system.cfg file doesn't work for me. I can change the fov in game, but it does not actually read any of those settings placed in the system.cfg file.

That's odd, mine works fine. Hmm...

Put it after r_displayinfo = 1

Sethos

Banned
How about these;
g_dlcPurchaseOverwrite = 1 ; "Cheat to unlock DLC content on PC without purchase"
g_ignoreDLCRequirements = 1 ; shows servers in browser that run DLC you don't have
g_presaleUnlock = 0 ; 1 unlocks presale content without voucher

Could be handy in the future when the LE isn't the standard edition anymore?

SeanR1221

Sho_Nuff82 said:
If these are human enemies, you're probably just missing.

Multiplayer.

I'm doing terrible. Last game I went 1 and 7. I've never been this bad at a multiplayer game, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Lingitiz

SeanR1221 said:
Multiplayer.

I'm doing terrible. Last game I went 1 and 7. I've never been this bad at a multiplayer game, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Don't rush. Take advantage of cloak when running out and use nanovision to spot other cloaked people. Use armor before every firefight, it reduces your recoil and will absorb damage as long as you have energy.

mbmonk

Warm Machine said:
The real answer is c) Crytek sought out to prove to publishers that the engine could do urban environments as well as forests and jungles. Doing this gives them a better chance at licensing the engine out as a true competitor to Unreal. Most games in the genre are urban or hard structure based with a side of open terrain.

You have to understand, Crysis like Gears is a game but also an advertisement for the technology and the real money is in licensing tech. Unreal Engine 3 is around a million dollars a sku.

Interest and good point. I still don't care if it's because of a, b,c,... infinity though. :p

But I do take your point. :)

SeanR1221 said:
Multiplayer.

The damage model and hit detection seem really off, It seems nothing is fixed from the demo. Good thing I bought the game for the single player. Whats the word on new game +? how does it work?

AEREC

Ive been having pretty decent results on my rig:

Windows 7 x64
i7 @ 2.93GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 460 1GB

I play at 1680x1050 with Vsync on and my best guesstimate of framerates would be:

Extreme - 20-30 FPS
Very High - 30 - 40 FPS
High - mostly 60 FPS

For multiplayer Ive been leaving it on High just to have smooth gameplay and for singleplayer I will probably go Very High or Extreme and just use a 360 controller as it hides the stutters a little better when aiming.

Even on High the game looks great in multiplayer...obvioulsy much better than MW2 or BLOPS.

I wonder which setting the consoles are running at?

Filth

SeanR1221 said:
Multiplayer.

Maybe you were shooting a hologram and you were killed from behind or from behind the hologram.

AEREC said:

Windows 7 x64
i7 @ 2.93GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 460 1GB

I play at 1680x1050 with Vsync on and my best guesstimate of framerates would be:

Extreme - 20-30 FPS
Very High - 30 - 40 FPS
High - mostly 60 FPS

For multiplayer Ive been leaving it on High just to have smooth gameplay and for singleplayer I will probably go Very High or Extreme and just use a 360 controller as it hides the stutters a little better when aiming.

Even on High the game looks great in multiplayer...obvioulsy much better than MW2 or BLOPS.

that's damn good if u ask me!

sTaTIx

Metroid-Squadron said:
That's one biased post.

Let's try to balance it a little:

Things Crysis 2 does better than KZ3:

1) HDR (very good implementation).
2) 100% realtime lighting and shadowing with GI and Image Based Lighting.
3) SSAO.
4) Bokeh DOF.
5) More advanced shaders (SSS for characters, translucency for aliens, proper specular reflectivity, etc...)
6) Physics. Take a look at any Crysis 2 level, they're filled with interactive physical props. Big metal containers are also deformable.
7) Much more open levels.

All in all, both games look fantastic.
A few points:

1) HDR is just one tool that can be used to produce certain effects like bloom or tone-mapping effects, both of which can be approximated to a fair degree with other methods ("faked HDR" if you really want to put it that way) albeit with less precision. Both bloom and tone-mapping are present in KZ3; can't speak as to the relatively quality of the implementations, but it looks pretty decent and artifact-free in KZ3 to me.

2) I don't understand why you're saying Crysis 2 has 100% realtime lighting and shadowing, as if to say KZ3 doesn't. All of the lighting and shadows of KZ3 are dynamic, with the exception that it uses pre-baked GI (which nearly every game does); Crysis 2 uses a dynamic radiosity as its GI method, but I already mentioned this. Note that the use of dynamic radiosity doesn't necessarily mean it looks "better," but it is an impressive technical innovation, I would admit. Although "innovation" might be a misnomer, considering that games such as Far Cry 2 back in 2008 and MLB '09 in 2009 are examples of older games that implemented dynamic radiosity.

Furthermore, the Killzone engine is purportedly capable of rendering hundreds of lights per scene, with every light casting its own dynamic shadows (including muzzle flashes from your and enemy gunfire). The same can't be said for Crysis 2.

5) Translucency and specular reflections are nothing new in games; GRAW 2 back in 2007 featured translucent surfaces; it is neither a new nor particularly impressive graphical feature anymore. As for SSS, has it even been confirmed to be present in the console versions? If it is present, I can guarantee you that it's used almost exclusively in cutscenes (where human faces are present), especially seeing as how none of the enemies you battle in gameplay even show any exposed skin.

6) True, the number of physics objects per scene might be higher in Crysis 2, but honestly, how many of those objects are actually active (in a state of motion) at any given moment? A potential physics object isn't active or having physics calculations performed upon it until you either shoot at it, push it, or pick it up. In any case, one could make the argument the fewer physics objects is offset by the fact that Killzone 3 has a seemingly superior physics-driven bullet-impact and ragdoll system for enemies that you shoot... I couldn't say one way or another.

7) "Much more open levels" is really questionable, imo. Most areas I've seen in Crysis 2 feature predetermined "zones" for combat, with the size of these zones being no bigger than some of the larger, more open areas of Killzone 2 or 3. Crysis 2, for its part, creates the feel of larger playable areas than it really has, by having large draw distances showing off nice-looking backdrops and vistas that you technically cannot go to (a step or two better than using "painted" bitmaps for backgrounds).

Thank you for reminding me that SSAO is used in Crysis 2, I did neglect/forget to mention that one..

Mr_Brit

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Sweet mother of god this looks good on PC. Fucking obliterates Crysis 1 IMO.
How about the textures? Do they look significantly better than the console versions? How much VRAM does the game use?

charsace

One thing I've noticed is that something with the shading is different on on PS3 than it is on PC and 360. There is something missing in every bright, day time screen I've seen.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Stallion Free said:
Sweet mother of god this looks good on PC. Fucking obliterates Crysis 1 IMO.

what kind of performance are you having stallion?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Game reports my NAT type of moderate. I'm using a router with DD-WRT. Are there certain ports this game requires me to forward?

Mr_Brit said:
How about the textures? Do they look significantly better than the console versions? How much VRAM does the game use?
They look very similar overall, but they could definitely be sharper. No POM and definitely lower resolution than something like Metro 2033. Still, amazing looking game overall.

7) "Much more open levels" is really questionable, imo. Most areas I've seen in Crysis 2 feature predetermined "zones" for combat, with the size of these zones being no bigger than some of the larger, more open areas of Killzone 2 or 3. Crysis 2, for its part, creates the feel of larger playable areas than it really has, by having large draw distances showing off nice-looking backdrops and vistas that you technically cannot go to (a step or 2 better than static bitmaps for backgrounds).
It's not questionable at all. The areas in Crysis 2 are significantly larger than anything in Killzone 3. The maps are absolutely massive and are not interrupted by loading tunnels or FMV sequences.

Lingitiz

D23 said:
im glad the single player is lengthy.. now will the mp hold me off until bf3?
Really hoping the MP takes off so that we see strong support so it stays fresh. Hopefully their big xbl push with the demos pays off.

x3sphere

Some screens I took from the PC version (2560x1600):

4f6c4507b218aa4ee5be915e07d1ae9b7eaadc78.jpg

bc31fa692977123fb918c766500a396893fd807a.jpg

The game still has that extreme kind of "smear" effect, but it does look damn purdy. The textures (at least on Very High) vary from great to crap up close, but they ratcheted the effects up to 11.

I just reached the first forced vehicle segment, and damn do explosions look sweet as hell in this game. It's too bad the environment is mostly indestructible.

Those screenshots are... weird. The contrast between the overall presentation and the slight blurriness leaves me conflicted about how I should feel.

Has anyone tried to force a different kind of AA via RadeonPro, etc? Is that even possible?

Anyway, MOAR PC SCREENSHOTS!

scitek

Revolutionary said:
We're all on Steam. According to the Steam forums a lot of us are having CD Key issues.
I ordered from Direct2Drive and have had to enter my CD Key both times I've logged into multiplayer. Hope they fix that soon.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
LaserBuddha said:
Those screenshots are... weird. The contrast between the overall presentation and the slight blurriness leaves me conflicted about how I should feel.

Has anyone tried to force a different kind of AA via RadeonPro, etc? Is that even possible?

Anyway, MOAR PC SCREENSHOTS!
I'm not sure I see the problem with the "slight blurriness". It gives the game a very clean and smooth appearance. The image quality is light years beyond the original Crysis.

x3sphere

dark10x said:
I'm not sure I see the problem with the "slight blurriness". It gives the game a very clean and smooth appearance. The image quality is light years beyond the original Crysis.

Yeah I don't actually have a problem with it. Looks incredible in motion.

AEREC said:

Windows 7 x64
i7 @ 2.93GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 460 1GB

Extreme - 20-30 FPS
Very High - 30 - 40 FPS
High - mostly 60 FPS

I went back and booted up Crysis 1. On my machine which has both the CPU and GPU overclocked (DC2D E6750, 8800GT), I can barely run the game on high settings at 1440x900.

Newer cards might run Crysis 1 better, but it is still a very demanding game. Which brings me to the following: who exactly is going to benefit from having the DX11 features in Crysis 2 other than the people with absolutely insane rigs. If Crysis 1 is any indication it will take at least 3 years until the mainstream is able to run Crysis 2 at reasonable settings in DX11.

LowParry

Up to Rank 9 in MP already. The Crash game type I'm having a lot of fun with though TDM I'm always going back to. Takes some time getting used to knowing that it's going to take a few shots or so to down someone. The cloak feature I think is very nice and fun to sneak around with. Though people tend to forget that thermal vision (or whatever it's called) is your friend. Oh and the decoy is really fun to use. Overall I like what I'm playing (compared to Homefront). Though some maps are out of control with visuals which slows things down. As far as games go with lag, I've had a couple where I've been two yellows bars but still kinda/sorta doable. Though having that 3 - 4 green bars is good. Host migration when needed is pretty quick compared to CoD's method. Names list up with the "migrating host" message. Once the migration is done, you're back into the game instead of having to wait for a load screen or whatever. Overall I'm having a lot of fun with the MP portion of the game. Eventually I'll hit up the SP. 360 version.

pixelbox

Metroid-Squadron said:
That's one biased post.

Let's try to balance it a little:

Things Crysis 2 does better than KZ3:

1) HDR (very good implementation).
2) 100% realtime lighting and shadowing with GI and Image Based Lighting.
3) SSAO.
4) Bokeh DOF.
5) More advanced shaders (SSS for characters, translucency for aliens, proper specular reflectivity, etc...)
6) Physics. Take a look at any Crysis 2 level, they're filled with interactive physical props. Big metal containers are also deformable.
7) Much more open levels.

All in all, both games look fantastic.

Ehhh, yeah lets balance this out a bit.

Things that Killzone 3 does better than Crysis 2:

1)Full deferred rendering engine which allows cheaper, more complex shaders.
2)POM(Paralax maps) which Crysis lacks.
3)Higher resolution. Both Screen based and textures.
4)High freqency detail mapping, which Crysis also lacks.
5)More accurate Physics. Objects behave with accurate weight due to processing on the Cell.
6)Particles which interacts with the environment. Every particle can collide with geometry. Instead of vanishing before ever having a chance to.
7) More advanced Per-pixel motion blur which eliminates the need for two types of blur, object and screen space.
8)Patented "Hit response" allows for better bullet to body interaction.
9)Volumetric water effects where objects affects the poly mesh that makes up the water.
10)Better L.O.D. engine
11)MLAA well...
12)Much more advanced a.i. that doesn't cheat.

The SSS is not proven to be on console/low end versions. The translucency referred to here is design not some special effect. Killzone 2/3 has a MRT specifically for specular reflectivity. WTF is proper specular reflectivity? It also possesses IBL. The props i would give to Crytek is the addition of Bokeh DOF and GI which acturally runs at 5 fps based off the pdf i read that other day and Crytek isn't even the first to bring G.I. to consoles. A baseball game brought it first and it updated 60 times in a second. Another thing you forgot to mention is how bad those textures are in C2, and i mean every type of texture from shadows to environments. GI and "realtime" lighting took it's toll on the engine If it fucks everything up why use it? Yeah, C2 is a great looking game, but remember using real life refrences for textures will always make a game look better than it is(The getaway,PS2)

sTaTIx

dark10x said:
It's not questionable at all. The areas in Crysis 2 are significantly larger than anything in Killzone 3. The maps are absolutely massive and are not interrupted by loading tunnels or FMV sequences.
The maps may be huge, and you can see far into the distance, but you're still confined to a small, predetermined battle zone at any given point in time. This is in contrast with Crysis 1, where there were huge island areas with draw distances of over 1 km, and you could actually GO anywhere that you saw (hence, vehicles being useful or even necessary at some points). Crysis 2 appears to have much smaller playable areas, and after you're done with one combat engagement/area, you are funneled into another area (which is streamed in dynamically) for another battle. There's no real sense of exploration to be had whatsoever.

dark10x said:

I agree it looks better than the first game or Warhead. It just seems like the picture isnt quite as sharp as it could be (especially at that huge resolution). I feel like a crisper form of AA would make it look even better than it already does. (honestly I can't really articulate why it looks soft/blurry, it just looks that way to me).

sTaTIx said:
The maps may be huge, and you can see far into the distance, but you're still confined to a small, predetermined battle zone at any given point in time. This is in contrast with Crysis 1, where there were huge island areas with draw distances of over 1 km, and you could actually GO anywhere that you saw (hence, vehicles being useful or even necessary at some points). Crysis 2 appears to have much smaller playable areas, and after you're done with one combat engagement/area, you are funneled into another area (which is streamed in dynamically) for another battle. There's no real sense of exploration to be had whatsoever.
You're completely wrong about this.

SeanR1221

Thanks for all the tips guys! I finished MVP the last round.

I stopped running out in the open. When I moved from cover to cover I activated cloak. As soon as I started getting shot at I put armor on. And I stalked people, and didn't jump the gun.

Awesome game.

AEREC

Lasthope106 said:
I went back and booted up Crysis 1. On my machine which has both the CPU and GPU overclocked (DC2D E6750, 8800GT), I can barely run the game on high settings at 1440x900.

Newer cards might run Crysis 1 better, but it is still a very demanding game. Which brings me to the following: who exactly is going to benefit from having the DX11 features in Crysis 2 other than the people with absolutely insane rigs. If Crysis 1 is any indication it will take at least 3 years until the mainstream is able to run Crysis 2 at reasonable settings in DX11.

Even my system has trouble with Crysis 1...I play on High as anything below that looks terrible to me...the game is playable but Im pretty sure it dips into the teens and lower during big fights, especially the last Boss.

Crysis 2 is much better optimized so far.

Top Bottom