• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Has anyone tried Assault mode in multi-player yet? I'm gonna wait a bit before diving into the MP. Assault is the mode where it's Nanosuits with pistols versus regular soldiers with all weapons.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
x3sphere said:
Some screens I took from the PC version (2560x1600):

4f6c4507b218aa4ee5be915e07d1ae9b7eaadc78.jpg

bc31fa692977123fb918c766500a396893fd807a.jpg

Well I for one am not a fan of the blurriness/softness of the PC version, especially at that res, I'm an old school PC gamer and definitely prefer the cleaner more clinical look of older PC games with maxed out aa/af.

Soma

So any who's on PS3 who's tried the multiplayer how is the frame-rate and how is connecting to a game compared to the demo? Apologies if it's already been asked to death.

arena08

Heavy said:
Has anyone tried Assault mode in multi-player yet? I'm gonna wait a bit before diving into the MP. Assault is the mode where it's Nanosuits with pistols versus regular soldiers with all weapons.

It's great. It's got a real Counterstrike feel to it. Some of the most tense and exciting battles in MP.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Revolutionary said:
We're all on Steam. According to the Steam forums a lot of us are having CD Key issues.

I'm going to get mine from Steam. I hope they sort it out soon.

pixelbox

mescalineeyes said:
I "love" how the kz3 defense force is all over this game.
Let it go, guys.
There's nothing to "let go" Crysis 2 is a beautiful game and does things that most games don't. But, there were a lot of shortcuts made to do those things and even still, it's doesn't using either system effiently. There's a lot less going on in C2 than the heavy hitters on the consoles.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
On the hardest difficulty, the gameplay completely embarrasses recent other FPS offerings. It's just so much better than CoD, Killzone etc it isn't even funny.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
belvedere said:
Someone hasn't been paying attention.
And if you're the one to respond to comments like his, you're probably looked at as part of that faction I bet. And yes, I agree with you.

sTaTIx said:
A few points:

1) HDR is just one tool that can be used to produce certain effects like bloom or tone-mapping effects, both of which can be approximated to a fair degree with other methods ("faked HDR" if you really want to put it that way) albeit with less precision. Both bloom and tone-mapping are present in KZ3; can't speak as to the relatively quality of the implementations, but it looks pretty decent and artifact-free in KZ3 to me.
False. HDR is more than just bloom. Using high precision values to make the lighting calculations is an absolute MUST for realistic graphics. Ask any graphics programmer about it.

sTaTIx said:
2) I don't understand why you're saying Crysis 2 has 100% realtime lighting and shadowing, as if to say KZ3 doesn't. All of the lighting and shadows of KZ3 are dynamic, with the exception that it uses pre-baked GI (which nearly every game does);
No. Most of the environment lighting and shadowing in KZ2/3 is lightmapped, with lightprobes to shade dynamic objects like characters.

sTaTIx said:
Crysis 2 uses a dynamic radiosity as its GI method, but I already mentioned this. Note that the use of dynamic radiosity doesn't necessarily mean it looks "better," but it is an impressive technical innovation, I would admit. Although "innovation" might be a misnomer, considering that games such as Far Cry 2 back in 2008 and MLB '09 in 2009 are examples of older games that implemented dynamic radiosity.
FarCry 2 didn't ship with GI if i recall, it was dropped. As for the MLB game, I remember an image explaining how they shade the objects in realtime, but it doesn't say anything about OBTAINING the lighting information at runtime. I could be wrong, of course.

sTaTIx said:
Furthermore, the Killzone engine is purportedly capable of rendering hundreds of lights per scene, with every light casting its own dynamic shadows (including muzzle flashes from your and enemy gunfire). The same can't be said for Crysis 2.
+
That's false as well. Not every light in KZ2/3 casts shadows. Deferred rendering doesn't actually help with shadows, only with lights. Also, since ALL the shadows in C2 are realtime with the sun shadows and the like (which are of very good res), there's less resources to process individual point/spot light shadows.

sTaTIx said:
5) Translucency and specular reflections are nothing new in games; GRAW 2 back in 2007 featured translucent surfaces; it is neither a new nor particularly impressive graphical feature anymore. As for SSS, has it even been confirmed to be present in the console versions? If it is present, I can guarantee you that it's used almost exclusively in cutscenes (where human faces are present), especially seeing as how none of the enemies you battle in gameplay even show any exposed skin.
Who cares if it's new or not. Not many games use those effects even today, certainly not KZ2/3.

sTaTIx said:
6) True, the number of physics objects per scene might be higher in Crysis 2, but honestly, how many of those objects are actually active (in a state of motion) at any given moment? A potential physics object isn't active or having physics calculations performed upon it until you either shoot at it, push it, or pick it up. In any case, one could make the argument the fewer physics objects is offset by the fact that Killzone 3 has a seemingly superior physics-driven bullet-impact and ragdoll system for enemies that you shoot... I couldn't say one way or another.
Actually, most objects in the world have physics active, mostly affected by gravity only unless another force acts on them. It's specially noticeable with the taxis and other cars you encounter that even have working suspensions.

sTaTIx said:
7) "Much more open levels" is really questionable, imo. Most areas I've seen in Crysis 2 feature predetermined "zones" for combat, with the size of these zones being no bigger than some of the larger, more open areas of Killzone 2 or 3. Crysis 2, for its part, creates the feel of larger playable areas than it really has, by having large draw distances showing off nice-looking backdrops and vistas that you technically cannot go to (a step or two better than using "painted" bitmaps for backgrounds).
Funnily enough, KZ3 actually does use bitmaps for a lot of its backgrounds, lol.

sTaTIx said:
Thank you for reminding me that SSAO is used in Crysis 2, I did neglect/forget to mention that one..
I forgot full res particle buffers too.

pixelbox said:
Ehhh, yeah lets balance this out a bit.

Things that Killzone 3 does better than Crysis 2:

1)Full deferred rendering engine which allows cheaper, more complex shaders.
Actually, a full deferred renderer allows for less advanced shaders. Get your facts right.
pixelbox said:
2)POM(Paralax maps) which Crysis lacks.
Was stated before, no need to repeat it.
pixelbox said:
3)Higher resolution. Both Screen based and textures.
KZ3 is a combination of full res and quarter res buffers, C2 does them all at the same res.
pixelbox said:
4)High freqency detail mapping, which Crysis also lacks.
No it doesn't. Plenty of surfaces use it, like concrete. Also, no need for tech euphemisms, detail mapping is simply another texture layer repeated over and over on the same surface.
pixelbox said:
5)More accurate Physics. Objects behave with accurate weight due to processing on the Cell.
The same applies to C2.
pixelbox said:
6)Particles which interacts with the environment. Every particle can collide with geometry. Instead of vanishing before ever having a chance to.
Not really, a lot of particles in KZ2/3 go through objects.
pixelbox said:
7) More advanced Per-pixel motion blur which eliminates the need for two types of blur, object and screen space.
That's good, but during gameplay the difference is trivial.
pixelbox said:
8)Patented "Hit response" allows for better bullet to body interaction.
Yeah, this is much better realized in KZ2/3.
pixelbox said:
9)Volumetric water effects where objects affects the poly mesh that makes up the water.
Haven't seen this but I believe you.
pixelbox said:
10)Better L.O.D. engine
It's called "linear game" xD
pixelbox said:
11)MLAA well...
Which sucks for subpixel geometry, of which KZ2/3 has plenty.
pixelbox said:
12)Much more advanced a.i. that doesn't cheat.
C2's AI doesn't cheat. And what do you mean by more advanced? If anything the alien AI in C2 with its ability to freely traverse all kinds of surfaces both horizontal and vertical is pretty advanced.
pixelbox said:
The SSS is not proven to be on console/low end versions. The translucency referred to here is design not some special effect.
Characters in the screens posted appear to use SSS. Translucency IS a shader effect, look at the aliens upclose.
pixelbox said:
Killzone 2/3 has a MRT specifically for specular reflectivity. WTF is proper specular reflectivity?
Specular highlights that look like lines instead of circles. There are recent papers about it, look them up.
pixelbox said:
It also possesses IBL. The props i would give to Crytek is the addition of Bokeh DOF and GI which acturally runs at 5 fps based off the pdf i read that other day and Crytek isn't even the first to bring G.I. to consoles. A baseball game brought it first and it updated 60 times in a second.
That method is still not properly specified. The same thing you complained about previously about CE3's GI method.

pixelbox said:
Another thing you forgot to mention is how bad those textures are in C2, and i mean every type of texture from shadows to environments.

GI and "realtime" lighting took it's toll on the engine If it fucks everything up why use it? Yeah, C2 is a great looking game, but remember using real life refrences for textures will always make a game look better than it is(The getaway,PS2)
LMAO, now you're trying too hard. Nothing but a bitter fanboy.

In hindsight, it was a complete waste to even address your points.

----

TL:DR

Both games look great. Stop bitching so much and trying to downplay each other all the freaking time. You want to praise C2? Do it in this thread. You want to praise KZ3? DO IT IN THE KZ3 THREAD!

jackdoe

Sigh. I'll probably end up buying the game this week. And I only wanted to buy one game this month (which ended up being DA2, one of the most disappointing games I've had the misfortune of purchasing).

NIN90 said:
Killzone 3 was pretty fucking boring. Just sayin!
first half was incredibly boring, second half was great. Buuuut, this thread is about Crysis 2.

Stupid question, but is there ANY type of co-op to look forward to in Crysis 2? Something like spec ops or something like that?

Klocker

game is stunning on my 50" TV...wow...

Internetz pictures don't show you how good it is.

also City Hall Mp map is so friggin beautiful

Fox Mulder

jackdoe said:
Sigh. I'll probably end up buying the game this week. And I only wanted to buy one game this month (which ended up being DA2, one of the most disappointing games I've had the misfortune of purchasing).

yeah, I try to do the same but recently got Homefront. At least I was able to flip it on ebay for a little over $40 a few days ago though.

burgerdog

Klocker said:
game is stunning on my 50" TV...
Yes, I'm playing it on my tv as well and at 1080p it is gorgeous. This game will take me 20 hours to beat at this rate. I'm looking at everything and exploring all of the play zones.

Aklamarth

The IGN reviewer is wrong. This is far from a graphical masterpiece (playing the 360 version).Don't know why but the lightning seems "off" to me. Granted i haven't played too much yet but so far is not even on par with Bulletstorm.

Moofers

Crysis 2 is pretty amazing. I rented it purely out of a feeling of obligation so I could talk about it on my podcast this week, but now after a few hours of play I'm thinking up ways to pay for a copy of my own after I return the rental. The graphics are good, yeah, like real fucking good, but the thing that impresses me most is the amount of choice you have at your disposal. Its having the impact on me that Halo 1 had all those years ago when I realized you could do objectives in any order you wanted.

In the city, I not only found out that I could bypass entire squads of enemies using the sewers, but I could choose to fight them in lots of different ways. They had a armored vehicle with a gun mounted on top in this one area, so I thought I'd kill the gunner and take over his position. Little did I know I'd be able to actually drive the vehicle around the map as well. And then I found out that when I got on the mounted gun, I could detatch it and carry it with me on foot. How cool is that?

So if you take these scenarios and then add in the ability to use your suit's powers of stealth and super armor, suddenly you find yourself with lots of options for any given encounter and that is something that a lot of FPS games don't have. Definitely want to buy it now.

Tom Penny

So does it run well enough to buy it for PS3 and play it on my nice G25 Plasma or do I buy it for my old dual core CPU and an 8800 GT? To be perfectly honest I thought the 1st Crysis was ok. I'm hoping this one is better.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Metroid-Squadron said:
DESTRUCTION
Wow, completely destroyed all arguments in that post. Someone should probably add this to the OP to stop silly console fanboy back and forth arguments in their tracks.

C2 and KZ3 both look great and do some things better than the other, there is no definitive winner.

Edit: I meant C2 on consoles, the PC version destroys both KZ3 and C2 on consoles.

burgerdog

Aklamarth said:
The IGN reviewer is wrong. This is far from a graphical masterpiece (playing the 360 version).Don't know why but the lightning seems "off" to me. Granted i haven't played too much yet but so far is not even on par with Bulletstorm.
You must hate realistic lighting. I enjoyed Bulletstorm and UE3 has made great strides in the lighting department, but to say that has superior lighting is insane.

jackdoe

bkfount said:
yeah, I try to do the same but recently got Homefront. At least I was able to flip it on ebay for a little over $40 a few days ago though.
Shame I can't re-sell a PC version of Dragon Age 2. But oh well, live and learn.

KKRT00

@Metroid-Squadron
I would add that many lightsources that cast shadows are fully interactive in Crysis 2. Like lamps or vending machines. Most object are destructible or interactive. Water is fully interactive too. Game also has great refraction effects only in water but also by other surfaces, mostly through glasses [even in multiplayer http://strony.aster.pl/kakarotto/c2_demo/2/crysis2_demo_img005.jpg], windows glass not only is breakable and transparent but also is also is semi-reflective.
Wet shader surfaces are also reflective.
Explosions are much better in Crysis 2 and particles are in higher res [http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2030/crysis25.png], it also has volumetric smoke.
Game has also better lens effects than Killzone, features god-rays and more detailed enviroments [thats why LOD is way more aggresive].

Killzone on the other hand has more NPC units, better AI, better animation, more particles and particles collisions, better AA solution, framerate and resolution.

For me both games are even in terms of technology. Killzone is more polished and focused and feature full 3D, splitscreen, MP with more players and Move controls.
Crysis 2 is fully packed with stuff even if it doesnt need it, thats why it runs worse and in lower IQ, but is unquestionable that as a game Crysis 2 is more impressive technically, because is running on multiplatform engine and its CryEngine3's first output.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:
I'm not sure I see the problem with the "slight blurriness". It gives the game a very clean and smooth appearance. The image quality is light years beyond the original Crysis.
x3sphere said:
Yeah I don't actually have a problem with it. Looks incredible in motion.
I completely agree with you guys. Fucking light years man. The only issue is the ghosting with motion blur.

And sweet jesus these levels have a lot of play space. I'm exploring all over finding tons of new routes to stealth through. I've probably played about an hour a level so far.

Nizz

jackdoe said:
After the PS3 demo I was set on not picking it up. But after reading some of the impressions so far I'm thisclose to pulling the trigger on it. I'm hoping my trade-in credit gets deposited to my Amazon account soon. They just got it today and it's 2 business days till they deposit the trade-in value.

Hopefully Amazon keeps the $10.00 credit plus one day delivery offer going a couple of more days. I just checked and those options are still available.

jackdoe

Oh yeah. Any confirmation on whether you change the suit voice to female? If I'm going to have to listen to a nanosuit voice bark instructions, I'd rather it be a female voice.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mr_Brit said:
C2 and KZ3 both look great and do some things better than the other, there is no definitive winner.
C2 on PC in motion fucking decimates anything I have seen in games in the past couple years. The feeling I had during the entire first 2 levels was lol this is the UE3.9999 GDC tech demo only better and well animated.

kaskade

abracadaver said:
wtf ?
what kind of glasses you need depends on the TV and not the game
I meant that motorstorm was going to be my reasoning for buying the glasses. But now that's delayed for who knows how long. Crysis 2 is my new reason to buy them.

burgerdog

Stallion Free said:
I completely agree with you guys. Fucking light years man. The only issue is the ghosting with motion blur.

And sweet jesus these levels have a lot of play space. I'm exploring all over finding tons of new routes to stealth through. I've probably played about an hour a level so far.
Ghosting comes from TAA. I'm loving the game too much at the momen to mess around with configs. Next playthrough!

Here's something as bad as the "...almost too good" comment. I almost wish the game had infinite respawns, it's so fun messing with enemies in these play spaces.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
C2 on PC in motion fucking decimates anything I have seen in games in the past couple years. The feeling I had during the entire first 2 levels was lol this is the UE3.9999 GDC tech demo only better and well animated.
What performance/card/settings are you using? I seem to recall you got rid of the 5850 but I can't remember.

Top Bottom