• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Xander51

Fix The Scientist said:
Playing this fresh off beating Killzone 3 and Crysis 2 looks a lot better to me. Tech side by a small margin, artistic side by a huge margin.

I also just finished Killzone 3, and I agree. Crysis 2 also has much less jarring cutscene to gameplay transitions.

pixelbox

Metroid-Squadron said:
False. HDR is more than just bloom. Using high precision values to make the lighting calculations is an absolute MUST for realistic graphics. Ask any graphics programmer about it.
He stated that it was more than Bloom. Yes, HDR is many things that are put together, like GI
Metroid-Squadron said:
FarCry 2 didn't ship with GI if i recall, it was dropped. As for the MLB game, I remember an image explaining how they shade the objects in realtime, but it doesn't say anything about OBTAINING the lighting information at runtime. I could be wrong, of course.
You would have to search that out but it's full GI.
Metroid-Squadron said:
Actually, a full deferred renderer allows for less advanced shaders. Get your facts right.
Deferred rendering allows for better shading because most of the shading is done once then placed in a buffer. It is more effiecent in that reguards. MRT make for a simpler shading because it processes 1 effect per buffer. That allows for a faster, more percise render. When all of the MRT are combined, that's where you see the results.
Metroid-Squadron said:
Funnily enough, KZ3 actually does use bitmaps for a lot of its backgrounds, lol.
Have you played that Maulr level or the snow scene? No cheating there.
Metroid-Squadron said:
KZ3 is a combination of full res and quarter res buffers, C2 does them all at the same res.
They are "full res" because they are not transparent. Overdraw eats bandwidth.
Metroid-Squadron said:
No it doesn't. Plenty of surfaces use it, like concrete. Also, no need for tech euphemisms, detail mapping is simply another texture layer repeated over and over on the same surface.
2 things, 1. The detail mapping carries normal information, it's not just some texture. 2.even if there were some in C2 it's no where near as detailed.
Metroid-Squadron said:
C2's AI doesn't cheat. And what do you mean by more advanced? If anything the alien AI in C2 with its ability to freely traverse all kinds of surfaces both horizontal and vertical is pretty advanced.
The a.i. in C2 always know where you are versus KZ2/3 which uses a ray tracing method and prediction navigate and "see" where the player is.
Metroid-Squadron said:
That method is still not properly specified. The same thing you complained about previously about CE3's GI method.
The information is there.
Metroid-Squadron said:
Not really, a lot of particles in KZ2/3 go through objects.
See, that's where you're wrong unless you're referring to te clipping of larger particles like smoke which will partially clip other than that KZ2/3 has a set amount of particles to render. It will scale if it's reaching capacity and they are all designed to collide.
Metroid-Squadron said:
Characters in the screens posted appear to use SSS. Translucency IS a shader effect, look at the aliens upclose.
Yes, i am aware of what transparences are. I'm saying it's nothing special. And just because it appears to have SSS doesn't mean it is.

scitek

Stallion Free said:
460 1 gb I get 30-60 fps depending on scene. Triple-buffered makes the fps drops far less obvious.
Was going to say, this game is even more impressive considering how well it runs while looking like it does. Pretty incredible job by Crytek.

pixelbox

LaserBuddha said:
Yeah really. I mean WTF at this:

How the hell can something look better than it looks? Definitely a sign you've run out of arguments to try to make.

I hope some mod ends up making Killzone-related discussion in this thread a bannable offense. So far, it has only been used as the object of pathetic fanboy console warz bullshit, and the quality of this thread would be immensely improved without that going on.
I forgot, i'm on the internet. Using real life refrences is a nice cheap easy way of making lighting look more complex than it is. Sort of like GT3,4,5 where they took snap shots of places and used them in their environments.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
BTW - Bestbuy is running a great deal for console versions of Crysis 2:

If you buy Crysis 2, you get a $10 gift card. And, if you buy Dragon Age 2, Fifa11, Fight Night, Bulletstorm or one other EA game I can't remember at the same time, you get $20 off of that.

I didn't go for the $20 off EA games as I already had the ones I wanted, but I used the gift card immediately to purchase the already $20 discounted Yakuza 4 for $30.

Hmm, I just bought the game off Steam and three seconds into the download AVG said one of the files had a virus. Hope everything is ok....

Wasn't going to buy this right away but I like the impressions so far. I loved Crysis/Warhead, so hopefully this is just as fun.

I also second the idea for a Crysis 2 PC Tweaks thread. My comp isn't top of the line and I'd like help getting the game to run the best.

jackdoe

FlyinJ said:
BTW - Bestbuy is running a great deal for console versions of Crysis 2:

If you buy Crysis 2, you get a $10 gift card. And, if you buy Dragon Age 2, Fifa11, Fight Night, Bulletstorm or one other EA game I can't remember at the same time, you get $20 off of that.

I didn't go for the $20 off EA games as I already had the ones I wanted, but I used the gift card immediately to purchase the already $20 discounted Yakuza 4 for $30.
IF the deal had included Bulletstorm PC, then I'd jump on it immediately. Sadly, it is only Bulletstorm consoles.

Man

Nabs said:
It's time to replace AVG with something better
Microsoft_Security_Essentials_Trojan.png

Multiplayer (PS3) is pretty fun. I'm glad I didn't let the beta dissuade me from getting the game. I actually got into my first game in about 2 seconds. Games were full too!

FoxSpirit

So another case of fail demo but great game?

I wonder why companies do that to themselves. *facepalm*

Now get us DX11 for some real pr0n.

Hmm, nobody with the PC version is hating on the game. Might just pick it up now then, on the assumption that the game's good enough to play through again when DX11 drops.

I'm wondering if they're ever going to fix the f'd MyCrysis login issue. Nobody has gotten responses from support yet. I can't believe they didn't fix this back when the demo was out.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
FoxSpirit said:
So another case of fail demo but great game?

I wonder why companies do that to themselves. *facepalm*

Now get us DX11 for some real pr0n.
I pretty much bought Cry2 solely because of the MP demo. I don't day 1 for single player. That's what Steam sales are for. But Cry2's online mode might be a ghost town when Rage, BF3, and the next CoD drop in the fall.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
jetjevons said:
Wait Crysis 2 3D doesn't take advantage of active shutter glasses?

It must do. Gamesradar must have got there wires crossed or were playing the game on the devs parallax polarising display and didn't know it.

Shurs

Playing on Soldier difficulty level, the AI is a joke.

Other than that, I'm really digging it so far.

I really enjoy the multiple approaches you can take.

I prefer to play stealthily.

markao

Any of the PCers, how is the response/feel of the mouse (felt weird in the demo) and any options ( I know ;) ) in the menus to alter it, if needed?

kamspy

I've seen, I've came all over my keyboard.

275 GTX
4 GB RAM
AMD 955x4

30+ fps on extreme, 1920 x 1080. Runs better than Crysis 1 and Warhead.

I can't stop cumming.

raphier

Banned
Technosteve said:
PC GRAPHICS WHORES should i buy now or wait till DX10/11 patch comes out =/ game looks more orange while the Crysis 1 looked more green.
WAIT! We don't even know whether we're getting the patch yet 100%

smik

to the people that have it

is the Classic mode with no nanosuits in the online playlist? if so, whats the impressions

Sethos

Banned
smik said:
to the people that have it

is the Classic mode with no nanosuits in the online playlist? if so, whats the impressions

Shh, don't speak of it around here, you'll upset the GafMachine >.>

Zeliard

Probably going to spring on this when the first sale comes about, which shouldn't be in too much time.

Having said that, man, it is strange days. From the patch notes:

"Remove Auto Aim - This has now been completely removed due to overwhelming community feedback"

A former PC-exclusive dev now apparently needs "overwhelming community feedback" to remove the option for auto-aim from their PC shooter with multiplayer.

So judging by the lens of truth comparisons, the ps3 version is clearer with better textures (closeup of that one guy tells me this)? But with a choppier framerate? Asking because my brother is interested in the ps3 version.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Wow they modeled my dads building that he designed irl into the game. 17th State Street... Fuck so cool seeing it in the game when you first open the doors to the outside, never seen it in a game before. I was like :O and :O at the insane graphics.

246430175_de5ac2d83c.jpg

Technosteve said:
PC GRAPHICS WHORES should i buy now or wait till DX10/11 patch comes out =/ game looks more orange while the Crysis 1 looked more green.

Why wait? Even with DX9, it looks better than almost any other PC game that came before.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The lighting is definitely the biggest improvement. I can still see this sort of blur like the AA is getting in the way of some of these PC shots.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
markao said:
Any of the PCers, how is the response/feel of the mouse (felt weird in the demo) and any options ( I know ;) ) in the menus to alter it, if needed?

I've been trying to get an answer on how the mouse feels for a few pages now.

Klocker

MoonsaultSlayer said:
So judging by the lens of truth comparisons, the ps3 version is clearer with better textures (closeup of that one guy tells me this)? But with a choppier framerate? Asking because my brother is interested in the ps3 version.

Can not speak for the PS3 frame rate but my 360 textures of that face when actually playing it looked better than the LOT pics. For whatever reason.

Game looks phenomenal

yuna55

MoonsaultSlayer said:

There are other direct-feed captures where there's no texture pop-in in the 360 version. It's assumed to be caused by the 360 version not being installed in the LOT comparison.

Other than LOT, we have nothing but speculative fiction being regurgitated by the usual tourists.

kamspy

Zeliard said:
Probably going to spring on this when the first sale comes about, which shouldn't be in too much time.

Having said that, man, it is strange days. From the patch notes:

"Remove Auto Aim - This has now been completely removed due to overwhelming community feedback"

A former PC-exclusive dev now apparently needs "overwhelming community feedback" to remove the option for auto-aim from their PC shooter with multiplayer.

I actually know a hardcore PC gamer who is pissed when the MP doesn't support auto aim when using a controller. Comfy couch etc.

I have no beef with there being an option, but forced auto aim can fuck off.

DennisK4 said:
So, to the people with the PC version:

does it have the best graphics of any PC game ever?

Yes.

Soma

canadian crowe said:
Multiplayer (PS3) is pretty fun. I'm glad I didn't let the beta dissuade me from getting the game. I actually got into my first game in about 2 seconds. Games were full too!
That's good to hear. How does the frame-rate hold up?

DennisK4 said:
So, to the people with the PC version:

does it have the best graphics of any PC game ever?

when you count all the effects and how smooth it runs YES (IMO). Never doubt Crytek I guess.

Gameplay is ace so far too.

x3sphere

Sethos said:
Can you change just the size? I don't want it off, just not as big as house.

Unfortunately, no. It's all or nothing. Maybe you can by manually editing the config files, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Tom Penny

Is every PS3 version limited edition...I know that makes no sense but that's what they gave me at gamespot. Hopefully the game isn't too shabby. The MP demo was pretty bad.

sleepykyo

brain_stew said:
Its arguably the most impressive technical achievement from a thrid party on the PS3, it in no way deserves the tag of "crappy port."

Strange I don't remember Dead Rising 2 getting so much kindness from you. I just remember reading about how abyssmal the frame rate was. And that is a slow paced game where the frame rate isn't really a huge issue.

In regards to the PS3 it arugably has a lot under the hood, but that lot came of out the image quality, and more importantly, the playability. Or is the frame rate in Crysis 2 really supposed to less of a playablity issue than in Dead Rising 2?

What term should be given to the overly ambitious PS3 games that threw out performance to be a better tech demo?

edit: @Tom Penny Don't think limited edition means limited in that sense. More like first print run, just like movies where the standard edition is now special edition.

Top Bottom