• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm about halfway through the game now (I'm assuming) after about 4\5 hours playing on the hardest difficulty. After going through C1 on delta at least 10 times I was worried this would be too easy but thankfully it's a decent challenge. The AI has managed to surprise me once in a while (I like how they actually relocate when in cover so you can't just aim at them and wait until they pop up) and I haven't noticed any glitches or pathfinding problems yet. Playing at 1360x768 on extreme and I get a nearly solid 60fps on my 4870x2. God this game looks so fucking incredible.

The mouse does still feel a bit off with a bit of acceleration, but when it's running smoothly at 60fps it feels perfectly fine. I'll have to muck around in the configs to turn it off. All in all I'm very pleased by how this turned out, as a huge fan of the original.

EDIT: I should note that I still can't seem to log in to my mycrysis.com account for MP. Fix this shit Guerilla.

moonspeak said:
That's good to hear. How does the frame-rate hold up?
It's better than the demo, but not amazing. I'm not a frame rate guy so it's perfectly playable to me. I did find the graphics kind of blurry and the colors were kind of muted. All in all though, if this was released as the beta people wouldn't be complaining as much.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm taking a break from the single player to play some MP (pc) and I'm wondering when all my extra content from the LE is supposed to kick in (I pre-ordered through steam). Nothing popped up when I inputed the LE code when the game asked for it.

Did I miss something?

smik

Sethos said:
Shh, don't speak of it around here, you'll upset the GafMachine >.>

i feel you Sethos,

sorry the graphical discussion in this thread is really lame and over bearing, just want some confirmation on the MP classic mode and if its in the online playlist/impressions

any MP streams out there?

kamspy

I played Crysis 1 at 13 fps on a 6800 gt. It was the best gaming experience of my life.

Frame rate does not matter in Crysis.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
wow, game is fun, when I try to do a batman like approach I always end up like rambo killieng everything :p

is it possible to stealth a good part of the game?

kamspy

The MP demo is almost like a completely different engine.

Haven't touched MP retail, but the campaign is head and shoulders above the demo.

Zeliard

kamspy said:
I actually know a hardcore PC gamer who is pissed when the MP doesn't support auto aim when using a controller. Comfy couch etc.

I have no beef with there being an option, but forced auto aim can fuck off.

Even having auto-aim as a mere option is bad, because why wouldn't a bunch of newbs just turn it on for multi? Keep it entirely out of PC shooters that have multi. If people desperately and incomprehensibly want to use a gamepad to play a multiplayer shooter on the PC, they can instead simply do so on consoles, where they'll only be going up against others on gamepads. Auto-aim has and always will be viewed in PC multiplayer as a form of botting, aka cheating.

Crytek has come to their senses in this regard, at least. But for them to never agree or perhaps never even realize it was an issue until they had mounds of people yelling at them about it is pretty worrisome. This should be one of those things that is plainly obvious.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
kamspy said:
I played Crysis 1 at 13 fps on a 6800 gt. It was the best gaming experience of my life.

Frame rate does not matter in Crysis.
I hope that was mainly in the hairiest of situations as I get at least 60fps on Crysis with with very high settings. I would consider a 13fps performance range to be borderline unplayable.

Moofers

beelzebozo said:
awesome impressions! i popped in to see how the game played (not just how the game looks, snore) and at least on this page this proved very helpful. it sounds really freaking incredible. i wonder, if i haven't been playing shooters for a while and generally prefer half-life/bioshock-esque things, would i have much interest in what's happening?

I'm kind of the same way. I've been getting real bored of the typical MW2/Homefront kinda fare, so stuff like Bioshock 2 has really been going over well with me. Its too early to tell what exactly is going on in the story, but what I've seen so far seems alright. Really, the draw for me is arriving in a new area, surveying all the possible points to engage the enemy from, looking for alternate routes, and then deciding how to proceed.

It really is the shooter where you can think of something to try and then do it. One last example for you: I come into a parking garage and there are about 2 to 3 cars parked on each side of the room. Its a small garage, so there's really only like 10 spots to park in on each side. On the other side of it from me there are 3 enemies all taking cover behind one of the last cars. I can:

A) Take cover behind a car of my own and trade shots until I win
B) Stand out in the open and activate my super armor which will allow me to just soak up damage while I toast the car they are hiding behind until it blows up
C) Go into stealth mode and sneak over or around cars until I'm right on top of them
D) Superkick a car across the room until it smashes into their car, at which point their car slides across the floor and pins them to the wall behind them

I chose option D.

There are other options, of course. I could have lobbed a grenade back there, but the AI is so impressive that they fanned out into different spots and really I'd have just risked giving them multiple angles to shoot at me from. But that's part of the fun. The game is very smart in the AI's behavior and what keeps it fun instead of frustrating is that you always have several ways to challenge that behavior.

After more playtime, I've decided I have to own this game. Its really amazing.

Dennis

Banned
What is the equivalent of Delta called in Crysis 2 and can you change difficulty mid-game or are you locked to your initial choice?

wenis

Has anyone else encountered "Your Serial code is in use" when they first booted up Multiplayer?

are we going to get the traditional crysis 2 graphics whore thread of console seconds. Dennis did you not get game? was expecting brain melting jpegs from you.

DieH@rd

Banned
DennisK4 said:
What is the equivalent of Delta called in Crysis 2 and can you change difficulty mid-game or are you locked to your initial choice?

You unlock the chapters when you play, and you can replay them later with different difficulity.

kamspy

DennisK4 said:

Post Human. Yes.

Best difficulty name ever.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
DennisK4 said:
Post-Human Warrior. Unfortunately it only really changes the damage modifiers and nothing cool like the original (stuff showing up on binocs, grenade warnings, language).

TheExodu5

Banned
Technosteve said:
are we going to get the traditional crysis 2 graphics whore thread of console seconds. Dennis did you not get game? was expecting brain melting pngs from you.

Fixed.

I'll try to fill the void, though my screenshots are never as well chosen as Denis'. :(

wenis said:
Has anyone else encountered "Your Serial code is in use" when they first booted up Multiplayer?

The Crytek forums are flooded with PC multiplayer issues - including that one. I haven't seen one reply by a Crytek CM either. No idea what is going on.

My issue is that I can't login at all to MP using my MyCrysis ID. I log in on the website just fine, but in-game it tells me that the login info is incorrect. Grrrr....

I was able to play a few hours of SP though. Yum yum :)

benzy

dgenx said:
wow, game is fun, when I try to do a batman like approach I always end up like rambo killieng everything :p

is it possible to stealth a good part of the game?

I got by some levels by just cloaking and running to the end point, which is cool since I get tired of shooting sometimes.

Konig94

Neo Member
I picked up the 360 version, and it's been pretty fun so far. I have one problem though; I changed my button layout to alternative (switches B and right stick), and now when I'm zoomed in with a sniper it says "right stick to zoom", which is my crouch. So I have to crouch to zoom in with a sniper :\ . Anyone know how to fix this, or had this problem also?

wenis

Boof said:
Yes. This is frustrating. It wont even save my serial number when I exit the game and reopen it. Apparently this is more than an isolated issue...

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10889

This is what I did (the advice I got from the Steam forums):

Heres what i did to fix mine.

Restart after game install
Run ccleaner, do regular and registry cleaning.
Restart
Launch game and enter serial number

Worked fine for me after that.

I can get into matches now, but my pre-order swag isn't popping up. at least i can play though..give it a shot and let the thread know for more evidence.

Animator

Can you guys tell me what MP modes are in the game other than the capture and hold the drophip and the team deathmatch that was in the demo?

Lingitiz

Played the first few chapters and wow it looks amazing (360) . It plays pretty well so far with all the tactical options, but I haven't played enough to give a verdict or anything. Leaves a very strong first impression. Now time to dive into a bit of MP.

wenis said:
This is what I did (the advice I got from the Steam forums):

I can get into matches now, but my pre-order swag isn't popping up. at least i can play though..give it a shot and let the thread know for more evidence.

Another option:

Follow these steps:
1. Enter the game
2. At the log in screen, click "modify" under the serial key entry.
3. Type in your serial with dashes, ALL LOWERCASE
4. THEN retype all user credentials (username and password)
5. Untick the check box next to password, labeled "remember details".
6. THEN re-check the box.
7. Log in.
*Note: If it tells you that your credentials are not correct, re-enter your password.

Weenerz

Banned
Team Klimt said:
The Crytek forums are flooded with PC multiplayer issues - including that one. I haven't seen one reply by a Crytek CM either. No idea what is going on.

My issue is that I can't login at all to MP using my MyCrysis ID. I log in on the website just fine, but in-game it tells me that the login info is incorrect. Grrrr....

I was able to play a few hours of SP though. Yum yum :)

I'm getting invalid CD key when I try to log onto a mp server, but that was 8 hours ago and I'm now stuck at work so I can't test for another 3 ugh.

Zimbardo

wenis said:

i did at first.

what i did to get it working:

enter your serial key on the main login screen ...under where you put your nickname and password it should say that its not already entered. just click on it and put it in with all caps and the included dashes.

should work. i entered multiplayer games no problem and it saved my cd key. you might have to actually join a game in order for the cd key to stick ...i saw someone post that on a forum, but i'm not sure. i joined a game right away and it has worked ever since.

i also entered my limited edition promotion key on the mycrysis site. that also worked no prob. it auto downloaded my items in game afterwards.

Er is this a bug? The first vehicle part?
get into a tank and fire at a weak looking wall to destroy it
but the vehicle refuses to move - the wheels spin in place! Tried going on foot over the wall and got cut to pieces so I am assuming something's wrong and I am supposed to drive?

other than this, very impressive graphics wise playing the 360 version. music is amazing.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Seafood Soup said:
Nice that PS3 version seems the better console iteration...will pick up tomorrow.

Wait I am totally confused. I thought the 360 SKU had a better resolution and smoother frame rate? After all this talk which SKU should I get? I don't have a gaming PC.

wenis

Zimbardo said:
i also entered my limited edition promotion key on the mycrysis site. that also worked no prob. it auto downloaded my items in game afterwards.

Where on the mycrysis site did you do that?

DennisK4 said:
So, to the people with the PC version:

does it have the best graphics of any PC game ever?

I've only played the PC demo and looked at these screenshots, but I'll say that's a loaded question.

Metro 2033, for example, has a cleaner image, better textures, and possibly better character models/details, yet Crysis 2 goes above and beyond it in other areas like effects and lighting. Additionally, both have such different environments (dark tunnels vs. bright open city) that it's very apples and oranges.

Another example: I think Crysis 2 looks much better than the comparable Mirror's Edge, yet you could argue that Mirror's Edge on PC looks more "realistic".

Just an example of how little meaning an answer to that question can have. I can at least say that I think it looks better than any other game with a similar setting.

Y2Kev said:
What is it with games that can't get subtitling right?

This happens in movies too, I've found. I think it has to do with actors improvising their lines and the script being the source of the subtitles.

Tom Penny

Not sure how anyone can't be impressed with the lighting and water... walking down to the water staring at the Statue of Liberty with the sunset and smoke for a console version.

Oh God it's as bad as I thought, and I was secretly hoping against hope that it really wouldn't be such a corridor-arena-corridor affair but goddamn it when the best thing about your game is the fucking soundtrack you have a serious problem.
DennisK4 said:
So, to the people with the PC version:

does it have the best graphics of any PC game ever?
not at all

MickeyKnox said:
Oh God it's as bad as I thought, and I was secretly hoping against hope that it really wouldn't be such a corridor-arena-corridor affair but goddamn it when the best thing about your game is the fucking soundtrack you have a serious problem.
Totally disagree. It's not a corridor shooter in the least and I'm not the only one with that opinion. Every single review + a quite a few comments in this thread back it up. It's not as open as the original but it's definitely not anywhere near a corridor shooter.

Best graphics I've seen as well, until BF3 releases (maybe).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Stallion Free said:
Damn the sound is generally fucking excellent on my headphones. The weapons and pretty much everything sound so crisp.
Yeah that immediately struck me. The sound design and overall fidelity is astounding.

MickeyKnox said:

not at all
You must have hated Warhead then, because this game plays like an urban version of it.

Heavy said:
Totally disagree. It's not a corridor shooter in the least and I'm not the only one with that opinion. Every single review + a quite a few comments in this thread back it up. It's not as open as the original but it's definitely not anywhere near a corridor shooter.
You mean this corridor that I'm walking through from one arena into the next arena isn't really a corridor?

Top Bottom