• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Morn

Banned
jetjevons said:
Wait I am totally confused. I thought the 360 SKU had a better resolution and smoother frame rate? After all this talk which SKU should I get? I don't have a gaming PC.

It is. Get the 360 version.

MickeyKnox said:
You mean this corridor that I'm walking through from one arena into the next arena isn't really a corridor?
I didn't say there weren't corridors. They're spliced in there but the mini sandboxes are huge, allowing just as much freedom and open-ended gameplay as the original.

I'm beginning to think people completely erase the second half of Crysis and the entirety of Warhead from their minds when discussing linearity.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've played a few hours on PS3 and I'm really digging it so far. The first few chapters don't give the best impression. They have some pretty bad framerate issues and your suit powers aren't all available until after you've done the tutorial for each of them. Thankfully, as the game goes on a few chapters it starts to run smoother and the suit powers click. That's when the game really starts to pick up. The arenas are pretty wide open in some spots and there are a lot of options. The size may not be as big as Crysis but there's certainly enough room for the same amount of improvisation. The suit upgrades so far have also made a pretty noticeable difference.

The atmosphere in the game is fantastic. I was honestly surprised at how much you get to see the civilians in the midst of everything. It really makes it feel like a situation where people are actually involved, as opposed to the military being the only thing around. The lighting touches are pretty great, especially indoors, and the soundtrack is great.

Heavy said:
I didn't say there weren't corridors. They're spliced in there but the mini sandboxesare huge, allowing just as much freedom and open-ended gameplay as the original.

I'm beginning to think people completely erase the second half of Crysis and the entirety of Warhead from their minds when discussing linearity.

Crysis 1 = Deserts
Crysis 2 = Mini Sandboxes

Dreohboy

Zeliard said:
Even having auto-aim as a mere option is bad, because why wouldn't a bunch of newbs just turn it on for multi? Keep it entirely out of PC shooters that have multi. If people desperately and incomprehensibly want to use a gamepad to play a multiplayer shooter on the PC, they can instead simply do so on consoles, where they'll only be going up against others on gamepads. Auto-aim has and always will be viewed in PC multiplayer as a form of botting, aka cheating.

Crytek has come to their senses in this regard, at least. But for them to never agree or perhaps never even realize it was an issue until they had mounds of people yelling at them about it is pretty worrisome. This should be one of those things that is plainly obvious.

So, through all this personal opinion about PC gamers that prefer using a controller should opt to buy an extra copy of Crysis 2 bullshit, are keyboard guys still getting owned by controller guys?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Dreohboy said:
So, through all this personal opinion about PC gamers that prefer using a controller should opt to buy an extra copy of Crysis 2 bullshit, are keyboard guys still getting owned by controller guys?

Well, there's no auto aim in retail, so no.

schennmu said:
Crysis 1 = Deserts
Crysis 2 = Mini Sandboxes
Not really. The environments aren't as big as the original, but nowhere near as bad as people are making them out to be. Very open, large areas that also have a vertical aspect that was lacking in the original. We're comparing a beach/jungle to a metropolitan city. Seriously, it's fine.

"Serial Code already in use"

Fuck this. WTF. I waited all day and this is the shit I get.

oh awesome there are solutions. will try.

commedieu

Banned
jetjevons said:
Wait I am totally confused. I thought the 360 SKU had a better resolution and smoother frame rate? After all this talk which SKU should I get? I don't have a gaming PC.

The framerates are within a 2-3 frames per second differences it appears. Both are boggy horse ass when the engine gets demanding, and as far as feature to feature, the PS3 code seems to have better 'technical' graphical features. Just take a look at the head to head to see which version the other is missing.

Toss up, whomever you have more friends with online, but neither runs a solid 30fps online or off. If thats *REALLY* your deciding factor. The game doesn't run smooth.

I wish they would've left some kind of... Minimal auto aim on multiplayer. I come from a console background but I felt like I was cheating owning KB&M players on the demo. But absolutely no auto aim doesn't satisfy me, because my camera will be all over the place now. I don't demand console level auto-aim, ala CoD or Halo, or how it was on the demo, but I would love if they'd give me a little assist with my right stick. I'd still have to carefully aim to actually kill someone.

It kinda sucks because I have a gaming PC - I want this title on nothing but my PC for obvious reasons, it's kinda tough to swallow that you have a fantastic controller support for single player, and it's now useless on multi. I don't have the money to get the game for my 360 - and if I own the PC version I don't want to deal with the inferior IQ on the console.

It's more wishful thinking instead of a complaint, because I liked the multiplayer, but I absolutely understand their decision to remove it.

2393746510_d86ef72ca1_o.jpg

4644792317_ec5879c8bb_z.jpg

Anyway, this game is impressive. It's equally impressive as Metro 33 and Crysis vanilla, you ask me. A texture pack and Dx11 effects should give it the final nudge above the pack. But as of right now, it's definitely among the top three or four best looking PC shooters. (and fuck off with BF3, it's not even out yet)

Shurs

So, yeah, I hope the AI got brutalized in reviews.

In the part on the pier right after FDR Street:

I was sniping soldiers and, one by one, I'd kill a guy, another soldier would run to the exact same spot, I'd shoot him, another soldier would run out to the exact same spot, I'd shoot him...

I piled up four or five soldiers' corpses in the exact same spot.

I've also run into a lot of spots where soldiers would ignore the gunfight that was happening mere feet from them and also guys running in place, head against the wall.

nib95 said:
No it doesn't. It has 3D, but a faked 3D, not stereoscopic as far as I have read.

The blockbuster action game will be the first major video game on multiple platforms to take full advantage of true stereoscopic 3D

Thats a quote from crytek

Shurs said:

I was sniping soldiers and, one by one, I'd kill a guy, another soldier would run to the exact same spot, I'd shoot him, another soldier would run out to the exact same spot, I'd shoot him...

To be fair to the sequel, enemies in Crysis 1 would do this if you stayed undetected.

pixelbox said:
He stated that it was more than Bloom. Yes, HDR is many things that are put together, like GI
HDR doesn't necessarily use GI, actually.

pixelbox said:
You would have to search that out but it's full GI.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/19/mlb-09-the-show-–-lighting-explained/

Yeah, seems on par with C2's method. Though it's irrelevant for this discussion since KZ2/3 don't use it.

pixelbox said:
Deferred rendering allows for better shading because most of the shading is done once then placed in a buffer. It is more effiecent in that reguards. MRT make for a simpler shading because it processes 1 effect per buffer. That allows for a faster, more percise render. When all of the MRT are combined, that's where you see the results.
This post explains it nicely:

http://graphicrants.blogspot.com/2008/08/deferred-rendering.html

Gurialla's deferred system for Killzone 2 is explained in this great presentation.

In their system the attributes stored in the G buffer are:

* RGBA8 for color
* standard depth/stencil buffer (can be used to derive world position)
* normal
* XY motion vectors
* spec exponent
* spec intensity
* diffuse color

There's a few things immediately obvious that this can't do. There is no floating point color buffer so real HDR is not possible nor things like gamma correct lighting that require higher precision color. Because only spec intensity is stored only grayscale specularity is possible. Since the game looks pretty gray this is likely not a problem for them but it is for other people.

What isn't obvious is the lighting equation has to be the same across all materials. It is likely Phong based. This rules out cool things like hair shaders, anisotropic brushed metal, fake subsurface scattering, fresnel, roughness, fuzz, cloth shaders, etc.

Crytek's renderer is not fully deferred, and therefore not subject to the same limitations as exemplified by the plethora of different materials shown in the game (SSS, translucency, anisotropic specular, etc...)

deferredgnc0.jpg

They talk about energy preservation as well, something pretty new even by offline standards.

brdf17ugi.jpg

brdf2vng5.jpg

From the "Reaching the speed of light" presentation. A recommended read.

http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/presentations

pixelbox said:
Have you played that Maulr level or the snow scene? No cheating there.
Not on that level, no.

pixelbox said:
They are "full res" because they are not transparent. Overdraw eats bandwidth.
Full res > Quarter res

pixelbox said:
2 things, 1. The detail mapping carries normal information, it's not just some texture. 2.even if there were some in C2 it's no where near as detailed.
1) As you're quick to point out, that's nothing new. Even Gears of War 1 used that "technique" (just another texture layer) back in 2006.
2) Detail layers usually use very low res textures since they're tiling is very high frequency. However, in the case of KZ3, the base textures (the ones that are supposed to be so high-res) are nothing to write home about:

http://i.imgur.com/oiaSd.jpg

Just look at his jacket pocket. Pixelation FTL.

pixelbox said:
The a.i. in C2 always know where you are
False. They simply have a good sensorial system. They're not like metal gear NPCs that can't see beyond 3 feet in front of them. They can see you from afar (as long as you're in their field of view) and can hear your actions, like running or shooting.

pixelbox said:
versus KZ2/3 which uses a ray tracing method and prediction navigate and "see" where the player is.
Raytracing LMAO. You mean "raycasting". They also use waypoints for navigation (pretty common, C2 use them as well)

http://sijm.ca/2009/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/michiel-van-der-leeuw.pdf

pixelbox said:
See, that's where you're wrong unless you're referring to te clipping of larger particles like smoke which will partially clip other than that KZ2/3 has a set amount of particles to render. It will scale if it's reaching capacity and they are all designed to collide.
That doesn't cause clipping. Maybe if they don't use soft particles, though.

pixelbox said:
Yes, i am aware of what transparences are. I'm saying it's nothing special. And just because it appears to have SSS doesn't mean it is.
Transparency =! Translucency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_and_translucency

Again, look properly at the aliens flesh. If somebody can post some picture it would be appreciated.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Christ on a cracker, damn man Crytek just made the best looking console game i've played yet. Fricken amazing.

And for what its worth, that Lens of Truth article is confirmed bullshit. Many of the images of low resolution textures or a "missing" lighting effect are completely present in the 360 version im playing. In fact i havent noticed a time they werent there (i installed game to HD), so im wondering how they got the pictures.

Dreohboy

-bakalhau- said:
I wish they would've left some kind of... Minimal auto aim on multiplayer. I come from a console background but I felt like I was cheating owning KB&M players on the demo. But absolutely no auto aim doesn't satisfy me, because my camera will be all over the place now. I don't demand console level auto-aim, ala CoD or Halo, or how it was on the demo, but I would love if they'd give me a little assist with my right stick. I'd still have to carefully aim to actually kill someone.

It kinda sucks because I have a gaming PC - I want this title on nothing but my PC for obvious reasons, it's kinda tough to swallow that you have a fantastic controller support for single player, and it's now useless on multi. I don't have the money to get the game for my 360 - and if I own the PC version I don't want to deal with the inferior IQ on the console.

It's more wishful thinking instead of a complaint, because I liked the multiplayer, but I absolutely understand their decision to remove it.

Yeah. pisses me off that I've gotta buy two copies of the game to enjoy it the right way (no one will convince me a keyboard is a more enjoyable input device for ME to use)...but, I'm going to buy two copies.

PC version for single player.
PS3 and it's janky DS3 controller for multi.

A.R.K

Shurs said:

I've also run into a lot of spots where soldiers would ignore the gunfight that was happening mere feet from them and also guys running in place, head against the wall.

Nope its not a PS3 exclusive so it gets a pass...

But I am curious, how is the A.I in general? Is it this bad all around?

nib95

Banned
Outtrigger888 said:
The blockbuster action game will be the first major video game on multiple platforms to take full advantage of true stereoscopic 3D

Thats a quote from crytek

Sounds like a lie then, unless something changed. But I was under the impression even the retail copies use S3D and not stereoscopic 3D.

To give you an example of the difference.

3d_1_anaglyph.jpg

Crysis2_S3D.jpg

It's not as costly nearly as costly on hardware, but you don't get the same level of depth and dimension either.

Shurs

LaserBuddha said:
I think the enemies in the original Crysis could probably read better than you.

No need to be offensive because I have issues with the AI in a video game that you like.

Were you tacitly suggesting something that went over my head?

lol, at the console wars in here. If you care about graphics that much, just buy a pc. Anyway, C2's version of "Delta" will be fucking awesome. Even playing on the difficulty below that yields tense firefights.

TheExodu5

Banned
So now the graphics settings are High, Very High, and Extreme. Better, but still funny.

I'll get to play later...raid night for now.

Shurs said:
What did I miss in your layered and brilliant post?

Were you tacitly suggesting something that went over my head?

I'm saying that I was only referring to the behavior in the text that I quoted. You responded with such a ridiculous straw man that I'm shocked to now see that you were serious.

Shurs

LaserBuddha said:
I'm saying that I was only referring to the behavior in the text that I quoted. You responded with such a ridiculous straw man that I'm shocked to now see that you were serious.

In the specific instance I was speaking of, the AI was certainly acting dumb.

The monster closet reference was to the door from which the soldiers ran, down the same path, to the same spot, to die the exact same way as their comrades.

How was I constructing a straw man?

dyergram

Welp just bought the pc version thought I could resist especially since I have a 3ds on the way turns out I cant. Not paying 29.99 though steam you can piss right off.

Heavy said:
I didn't say there weren't corridors. They're spliced in there but the mini sandboxes are huge, allowing just as much freedom and open-ended gameplay as the original.

They are not "mini-sandboxes" they are arenas, and let's not re-imagine history here, Crysis went linear for the last act of the game not half of it, and it was always the weakest element in that game. Warhead was somewhere in between the two designs but apart from the fucking mines, was still much more open than this game.

If anything this is more like Killzone 2 than Warhead.

Dreohboy said:
Yeah. pisses me off that I've gotta buy two copies of the game to enjoy it the right way (no one will convince me a keyboard is a more enjoyable input device for ME to use)...but, I'm going to buy two copies.

PC version for single player.
PS3 and it's janky DS3 controller for multi.

Reminds me of Bioshock 2 PC, although I do understand Crysis' situation. When you have a feature that's nowadays becoming standard, you don't take it away in the sequel. I mean, you gave this game that thousands of players enjoyed on a controller (Bioshock had great support for the 360 pad), only to strip the sequel of that same support, leaving those thousands of gamers with their pants down. How can you even do such a thing? That's crapping on your customer. I was baffled by that.

Crysis 2 was set to support the controller from the very start. Crysis 1 has a great support already, although not as seamless as Bioshock, but when problems arose, they came across a way to fix it - they didn't remove the entire support altogether because of multiplayer, they removed auto-aim - and kept the singleplayer intact. Bioshock 2 had multiplayer, and so the developers thought it was brilliant to remove all controller support on a game that people bought almost exclusively for singleplayer.

This is a rant on Bioshock 2, no Crysis so hum yeah... /offtopic

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
commedieu said:
The framerates are within a 2-3 frames per second differences it appears. Both are boggy horse ass when the engine gets demanding, and as far as feature to feature, the PS3 code seems to have better 'technical' graphical features. Just take a look at the head to head to see which version the other is missing.

Toss up, whomever you have more friends with online, but neither runs a solid 30fps online or off. If thats *REALLY* your deciding factor. The game doesn't run smooth.

So are you saying it's just not a good game on console?

KingDizzi

Banned
Does this have an online code? Guessing yes because all EA games seem to as of late but a free trial would be nice, something Hot Pursuit had but Bulletstorm did not.

DieH@rd

Banned
nib95 said:
Sounds like a lie then, unless something changed. But I was under the impression even the retail copies use S3D and not stereoscopic 3D.

To give you an example of the difference.

3d_1_anaglyph.jpg

Does this mean that 120hz screen is not needed?

Shurs

KingDizzi said:
Does this have an online code? Guessing yes because all EA games seem to as of late but a free trial would be nice, something Hot Pursuit had but Bulletstorm did not.

I did not have to enter a code to play online.

skyfinch

neoism

SapientWolf said:
The FOV is going to be too wide at 90, causing it to fisheye. I adjusted mine to 75 for the demo and it looked ok.
not for me I play REACH all the time so. I think its 90. I don't want playing this effecting Reach. I would like to know if I did them right. the skipintro command doesn't work. I still go through all those logos. :/

Top Bottom