• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

~Kinggi~

Banned
Game is hitting me like a train. All of a sudden playing it im just blown away by the whole presentation and setting. Apocalyptic New York is pretty sweet. Kinda reminds me of I Am Legend. Sound design is incredible. So much awesome.

And the best thing yet is the gameplay seems to hint at some goodness. Especially on harder difficulties. I guess after all the negative press this is the biggest surprise so far this year. Crytek deserves a bunch of sales for this one.

rabhw

Can anyone confirm that objects should NOT be glowing like this?

Because the game is incompatible with a bunch of SLI and CrossfireX configs (how did they manage to fuck that up?), I had to force Bioshock's CFX config to be used, but I think it's causing excessive bloom.

Can anyone also playing the PC version confirm that these objects should not look like this?

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559778048231909929/C2327F3892A3A50E0850E8B0F2316FF88C6B0D66/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559778048231910903/99E177138F316A1037A32C698F0B7B01F8D43C66/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ok I just hit this part and all I can say is man it sucks to be all other companies right now.

The lighting was...

I can't even put it into words. FUCK.

Oh and that smoke is fucking insane too.

Stallion Free said:
Ok I just hit this part and all I can say is man it sucks to be all other companies right now.

The lighting was...

Ugh Stallion why are you doing this to me! You're making me want to buy this :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LovingSteam said:
Ugh Stallion why are you doing this to me! You're making me want to buy this :(
Just do it. I stopped giving a fuck about options and it being DX9 about 5 minutes into the game. It has been worth every penny so far.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So because this thread is moving too fast to follow a couple of questions before I head home and sink my teeth into the PC version.

1. Are the config files still encrypted?
2. If not can I easily disable mouse smoothing?
3. What about TAA is that still forced on?

rabhw

Sinatar said:
So because this thread is moving too fast to follow a couple of questions before I head home and sink my teeth into the PC version.

1.) No
2.) There's a cfg command, I'm sorry I don't have it on hand right now.
3.) No one has figured out how to force it off yet, afaik.

kamspy

Stallion Free said:
Just do it. I stopped giving a fuck about options and it being DX9 about 5 minutes into the game. It has been worth every penny so far.

Yup.

The TAA isn't nearly as poorly implemented as it was in the demo.

commedieu

Banned
Sinatar said:

To sum the thread up..

Play now, ask questions later if they really still matter.

Shurs said:
In the specific instance I was speaking of, the AI was certainly acting dumb.

The monster closet reference was to the door from which the soldiers ran, down the same path, to the same spot, to die the exact same way as their comrades.

How was I constructing a straw man?

All you said originally was that you'd kill a soldier, another soldier would run to the same spot, rinse, repeat. There was no mention of monster closets. So when I state that Crysis 1 exhibited the same behavior, and you interpret that as me stating that Crysis 1 had monster closets, then yes it's a straw man. You're inferring something about my opinion that was nowhere to be found in either your post or mine.

That aside, what you're describing is not a monster closet, unless we're talking about an otherwise small/empty/useless room that spawns enemies out of nowhere in response to a specific trigger. If they were just running out of that door because they happened to be on the other side of it, then it's not a monster closet.

MickeyKnox said:
They are not "mini-sandboxes" they are arenas, and let's not re-imagine history here, Crysis went linear for the last act of the game not half of it, and it was always the weakest element in that game. Warhead was somewhere in between the two designs but apart from the fucking mines, was still much more open than this game.

If anything this is more like Killzone 2 than Warhead.
No way, not even close to Killzone 2 and I've finished that. Killzone 2 is as linear as any Call of Duty campaign. That's just blatantly false.

And regarding the linearity of Cryis. The last 5 chapters of the game:
* Core (alien labyrinth chapter)
* Paradise Lost (after Core, when the snow hits)
* Exodus (I believe this was linear but I'd have to play through it again)
* Ascension (VTOL chapter with the tornadoes)
* Reckoning (last chapter, aircraft carrier)

That's 5 out of 11 total chapters, not just the "last act". Revisionist history at work.

Shurs

LaserBuddha said:
All you said originally was that you'd kill a soldier, another soldier would run to the same spot, rinse, repeat. There was no mention of monster closets. So when I state that Crysis 1 exhibited the same behavior, and you interpret that as me stating that Crysis 1 had monster closets, then yes it's a straw man. You're inferring something about my opinion that was nowhere to be found in either your post or mine.

That aside, what you're describing is not a monster closet, unless we're talking about an otherwise small/empty/useless room that spawns enemies out of nowhere in response to a specific trigger.

You cannot enter the door that the enemies spawn (and re-spawn) from.

I maybe went a bit overboard in my description. Didn't think you needed to insult me over it.

DaBuddaDa

Sinatar said:
Mouse smoothing matters. That shit drives me fucking *bananas*.
i_mouse_smooth 0
i_mouse_accel 0

Put those in your system.cfg file.

g_skipIntro 1
cl_fov 80
r_DrawNearFoV 80
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov 80
sys_maxfps 120
r_vsync 0

while you're at it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Honestly, I think pad is the way to go in singleplayer. It was clearly designed around it and the rumble really shouldn't be missed. I mean they use it for everything and it always feels just right. Like the subtle rumble while running in Armor mode.

Oh and I got a ticket for running a red light (or maybe it was speeding) in my suit lol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stallion Free said:
Oh and I got a ticket for running a red light (or maybe it was speeding) in my suit lol.
I love the little things like that in this game. The radio broadcasts, the souvenirs, and other collectables are actually fun and fit the atmosphere. Also, the first trophy made me laugh my ass off.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RoboPlato said:
I love the little things like that in this game. The radio broadcasts, the souvenirs, and other collectables are actually fun and fit the atmosphere. Also, the first trophy made me laugh my ass off.
Yeah mad TLC went into designing the levels.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Stallion Free said:
Honestly, I think pad is the way to go in singleplayer. It was clearly designed around it and the rumble really shouldn't be missed. I mean they use it for everything and it always feels just right. Like the subtle rumble while running in Armor mode.

First you're pre ordering COD DLC and now you're suggesting people play a PC shooter with a gamepad?

What happened to you man? I thought I knew you? *sob*

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sinatar said:
First you're pre ordering COD DLC and now you're suggesting people play a PC shooter with a gamepad?

What happened to you man? I thought I knew you? *sob*
If the game was designed around the MKB I would use it. It is severely obvious that it isn't. Furthermore, try the pad and pay attention to the rumble. It is immaculate.

Dreohboy

ok.

1) Fuck all you guys for making me spend $60 before I was ready to spend it. Now I'm eating oatmeal and spaghetti for the next week and a half and nothing else.

2) Console minded PC gamer here. How do I load this config on my machine?

g_skipIntro 1
cl_fov 80
r_DrawNearFoV 80
sys_maxfps 120
r_vsync 0

Exactly where do I type that?

nib95

Banned
Stallion Free said:
If the game was designed around the MKB I would use it. It is severely obvious that it isn't. Furthermore, try the pad and pay attention to the rumble. It is immaculate.

I wouldn't sacrifice a better control/aiming system for gimmicky rumble. I mean, don't get me wrong, rumble is a nice addition. But nothing a good sound system and sub can't emulate to a lesser degree. Besides rumble, is there any other reason you think the game would play better with a pad over kb/m?

DaBuddaDa

Dreohboy said:
Reposting from many pages back:

-HOW TO CONFIG THE RETAIL RELEASE-

The game has a config file, system.cfg. However, there isn't anything useful in it. You can find it in your Crysis 2 folder. If you installed through steam, the file is probably in c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\crysis 2. If you installed off a disc, the folder is probably c:\program files\Electronic Arts\Crysis 2.

Add this text to it so you have some useful options to play with.

g_skipIntro 1

con_restricted 0
sys_DeactivateConsole 0

i_mouse_smooth 0
i_mouse_accel 0

cl_fov 80
r_DrawNearFoV 80
sys_maxfps 120
r_vsync 0

r_MotionBlur 0
r_DepthOfField 0
r_Glow 1
r_GlowAnamorphicFlares 0
r_Reflections 1

r_FSAA 0
r_PostMSAA 0
r_UseEdgeAA 1
r_SSAO 0
r_UsePOM 1

Some of these settings are my own personal preferences, so feel free to tweak them.

If you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7, there will be extra protection for any files under the Program Files directory. In order to edit your system.cfg file, you'll need to launch notepad with administrator rights. Just find it in the start menu, right click on it, and choose "Run As Administrator".

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Dreohboy said:
ok.

1) Fuck all you guys for making me spend $60 before I was ready to spend it. Now I'm eating oatmeal and spaghetti for the next week and a half and nothing else.

2) Console minded PC gamer here. How do I load this config on my machine?

g_skipIntro 1
cl_fov 80
r_DrawNearFoV 80
sys_maxfps 120
r_vsync 0

Find where the game installed (if its from Steam look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\crysis 2) and open "system.cfg".

Put those lines at the bottom of the file, save + quit. I would recommend r_vsync 1 instead of 0, though. While you're at it, install RivaTuner so you can get D3DOverrider to enable Triple Buffering. See this thread for why:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366413

Ysiadmihi

Banned
nib95 said:
I wouldn't sacrifice a better control/aiming system for gimmicky rumble. I mean, don't get me wrong, rumble is a nice addition. But nothing a good sound system and sub can't emulate to a lesser degree. Besides rumble, is there any other reason you think the game would play better with a pad over kb/m?

I would never play with a pad in multiplayer but I see no reason why it matters when it comes to SP, especially since this game was built with pad limitations in mind.

Dreohboy

Stallion Free said:

Fuckin' A. If I could give you a hug and kiss right now I would. Rumble ain't shit, but if used correctly it can add to the immersion of the game.

I'm still pissed they took good pad support out of multiplayer, but I understand that I'm in the minority. (PC gamer that prefers playing a shooter with a controller)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nib95 said:
I honestly don't think rumble is a gimmicky here. It was clear that it was given a lot of attention and I think the assumption that a sound system can replace it is mildly retarded. If all you care about is aiming, then sure go for the MKB. But I was rubbed the wrong way by it in the demo quite severely.

For the record I consider Crysis 1 unplayable on the pad.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
iNvidious01 said:
anyone playing at 2560x1600? how's it going for you?

I've got a Xeon E5620, 12GB RAM, and a GTX 470 at work. Trying to rock 2560x1600 I can't maintain 60fps.

Stallion Free said:

The lighting was...

So... Which part? In spoiler tags obviously. Wanna know if it's the same part I went all :O :O :O on.

vazel

Banned
Dreohboy said:
Damn. Fucking 7% download on steam.

Fuck

Me

Hard

.......still at 7%. 1.5mb/s dammit.
At least you didn't buy it from Amazon! I'm getting 750KB/s from them. But I couldn't resist the $15 credit they're giving out if you buy Crysis 2 from their DD store.

Animator

Am I asking a fucking taboo question or is it getting lost in between all the pixel counting? How many mp modes are in the game and what are they? I know tdm and capture and hold from the demo but I cant seem to find info on the rest of them anywhere.

Wow playing on pc very high and it's smooth as butter and looks great, might try to bump up to extreme and see if it runs well as well. Kinda expected this to be murder on the current high end systems.

Visuals are fantastic, some details though are a bit weak at times but overall it's quite good. AI is a bit wonky though, sometimes it seems smart and many others it gets really stupid.

Few hours in so far though and its been good, though made much more linear and corridor like, it still has a very open game design to how encounters play out that feels refreshing compared to the constant "GO GO GO" roller coaster fps extravaganzas

Lonely1 said:
Will I be able to Max this game with a 280 at 30fps?

Yes, running a BFG GTX285 OC2 here, Extreme is ALWAYS 30-60, Very High is 60fps all the way through. Mind you, Very High is practically the same as Extreme, minus some pop up and lower res shadows.

Edit: 1680x1050

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Lonely1 said:
Will I be able to Max this game with a 280 at 30fps?
I have a GTX 260, i5 750, 4GB RAM and I am getting 40-60FPS (via FRAPS) early on with it set to very high, 1920X1080P, with vert sync on. Very, very impressed.

iNvid02

DKo5 said:
I've got a Xeon E5620, 12GB RAM, and a GTX 470 at work. Trying to rock 2560x1600 I can't maintain 60fps.

what setting are you on and any AA? I have i7 2600k, 8GB RAM and GTX 570 in SLI but would like to max out the game with some AA if possible. If not im just gonna wait, getting 580s instead in a few weeks.

Im debating on getting this on PC or 360. From what I heard the 360 version looks good enough and the PC has alot of issues. Maybe ill wait a month and get the PC version with the patch, what do u guys think? Also is the PS3 definitely the worst of the bunch?

Top Bottom