• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
One thing is for certain, EA is run by monkeys. They should have just released a SP demo.

I would really hate to play this on an SDTV. I doubt you would be even able to seeing as some of the enemies are pretty small even on my 50"

alr1ghtstart said:
One thing is for certain, EA is run by monkeys. They should have just released a SP demo.

Seriously. That was the real meat and potatoes of Crysis.

No, let's instead release a multiplayer demo in where half the people couldn't sign on to play on multiple platforms! I remember the first night I tried to make an account for the PC, I gave up and went to sleep.

So bad, they actually pulled the PS3 demo after only a few days.

EviLore said:
So the SP campaign is good, huh. Blargh, okay, despite going through all the annoyance of cancelling my Steam preorder I guess I'll pick it up. I've really been wanting a graphics whore game for a while now.
Nooooooo. Your bile and anger were the only thing that kept me away from buying it as well. God damn it.
Sinatar said:
It's weird that they went with a silent protagonist in this seeing as Nomad talked in the original as did Psycho in Warhead. Usually games go from silent to blabbermouth, not the other way around.
Yeah that's some bullshit as well.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well they want a piece of the CoD pie, and the CoD pie continues to sell like gangbusters thanks to the multiplayer, hence the demo.

belvedere

Junior Butler
EviLore said:
So the SP campaign is good, huh. Blargh, okay, despite going through all the annoyance of cancelling my Steam preorder I guess I'll pick it up. I've really been wanting a graphics whore game for a while now.

I have mixed feelings about the overall SP experience after about 4 hours into the game.

While I enjoy the open ended and choice driven gameplay (in specific situations), the plot points that drive the story are just downright predictable and boring. I usually assume this to be the case with most action oriented games, especially FPS', but there are some almost hilarious moments with the dialog in this game.

For example. Some far away and holed up person you've never met guides you via radio into predictably inconvenient scenarios. We've seen this a million times before, but the occasional non-linear moments of Crysis 2 make it a bit more enjoyable.

I'm having a good time with the game, but there's just something that's not keeping me completely "engaged".

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not.

TheExodu5

Banned
belvedere said:
While I enjoy the open ended and choice driven gameplay (in specific situations), the plot points that drive the story are just downright predictable and boring. I usually assume this to be the case with most action oriented games, especially FPS', but there are some almost hilarious moments with the dialog in this game.

I just played through the original game for the first time this passed week, and it was no different, if that's the case. The story in the original Crysis is laughable. As long as the pace keeps up, that doesn't hurt the game too badly.

If the game presents different vistas, with fun and engaging scenarios with enough variety, it's a win in my books.

FStop7

Banned
I have a 1 gig 4890 on an 8 core Mac Pro (pre-Nahelm). Am I going to be able to play this at 1900x1200 at max detail or am I going to have to cough up for an Apple approved 5870?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, I picked up the PS3 version because my Q6600/4890 ATI is due for an upgrade.

The game play is fast, and the graphics are crazy good for PS3. Not disappointed at all. REALLY loving the single player.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm having a good time with the game, but there's just something that's not keeping me completely "engaged".

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not.
Yeah, the story isn't great. That is definitely the weakest part.

The game itself, though, has been extremely entertaining. It really feels as if you are moving through a large world rather than a series of small maps.

belvedere

Junior Butler
TheExodu5 said:
I just played through the original game for the first time, and it was no different, if that's the case. The story in the original Crysis is laughable. As long as the pace keeps up, that doesn't hurt the game too badly.

Exactly what I thought of after
meeting Gould in person for the first time

jackdoe

TheExodu5 said:
I just played through the original game for the first time, and it was no different, if that's the case. The story in the original Crysis is laughable. As long as the pace keeps up, that doesn't hurt the game too badly.
Only difference here is that an "accomplished novelist" wrote the story for Crysis 2.

knitoe

LiquidMetal14 said:
With those specs you should be getting 60fps. Turn off MLAA first. Do you have the GPU OC'd too? I got my 6950 OC'd to ratings that get me close to GTX 580 performance in many games.
Disable MLAA, and now, getting ~60fps.

Also, was able to find and enter promo code thanks to people's guide.

-PXG-

I started my second play through this morning on Veteran. Trying to be as stealthy as possible and less run 'n gun.

I'm also taking my time and explore and see how detailed everything is too.

belvedere

Junior Butler
dark10x said:
Yeah, the story isn't great. That is definitely the weakest part.

The game itself, though, has been extremely entertaining. It really feels as if you are moving through a large world rather than a series of small maps.

I'm waiting on the Steam version to finish now (I bought the PS3 version to 1.) test graphical fidelity and 2.) gain the easy "comfy couch" experience) so maybe the gunplay will be more seamless as I'm way more comfortable with my mouse/WASD setup, but it just seems like there are a bunch of small firefights spread out over a huge environment with seemingly meaningless story points peppered in.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Could I run this on my Laptop?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz
8 GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5600/5700 Series
4083 MB Total available graphics memory

Got everything as high end as I could when I bought it last year, but worried about the graphics card.

-PXG-

Mikasangelos said:
gawd i wish i had a monitor that supports 1080p.

They're cheap. Do yourself a favor and get one. I have a 25" 1920 x 1200 (1080p max for consoles) monitor with a 2 ms response. Pure heaven.

So when's the DX11 patch going to be released, anyways? I'm in no hurry to pick it up at this point and I'm hoping by the time Crytek gets around to the DX11 patch it will be $20.

All Hail C-Webb said:
Could I run this on my Laptop?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz
8 GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5600/5700 Series
4083 MB Total available graphics memory

Got everything as high end as I could when I bought it last year, but worried about the graphics card.

What is the actual card? Because between a 5650 ad a 5770... There's still some difference.

aeolist

Banned
jackdoe said:
Only difference here is that an "accomplished novelist" wrote the story for Crysis 2.
I'm sure the game story is shit but Richard K Morgan does not deserve those quotation marks. His books are fucking awesome.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Unknown Soldier said:
So when's the DX11 patch going to be released, anyways? I'm in no hurry to pick it up at this point and I'm hoping by the time Crytek gets around to the DX11 patch it will be $20.

Nobody knows.

jackdoe

aeolist said:
I'm sure the game story is shit but Richard K Morgan does not deserve those quotation marks. His books are fucking awesome.
It wasn't sarcasm (at his novels in any case). I was paraphrasing what CryTek and EA PR were saying regarding the game's story and its writer.

robotrock

Banned
Well, I think I'm having a problem but I'm not sure if its just the game or if its a glitch. The enemies shoot like, these green laser things and there are about 50 of them everywhere. Is that intentional, or is my game messing up here? PC version here.

Mrbob

Weenerz said:
So my CD-Key is in use now, wtf is up with the PC version?

Yeah I had the same issue too trying to join a game online. I think it is just first day online jitters where nothing is working. Of course I saw the online is powered by Gamespy and that makes me want to cry.

Unknown Soldier said:

What is it with people and DX11? Direct X is a means to an end, not the end itself. Why hold off for a graphical upgrade if this game is already among the best looking ever made?

If this game was using DX11, and looked exactly the way it does now, I don't think anyone would be complaining.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Lostconfused said:
Nooooooo. Your bile and anger were the only thing that kept me away from buying it as well. God damn it.

Yeah that's some bullshit as well.

I'm hating that so far.

Having a character talk to you about something and not responding is horrible and forced.

Specially when Gould is calling you Prophet, I mean, come on! JUST SAY YOU'RE ALCATRAZ!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Just got thru playing the opening sequence of the PC version and it's leaps and bounds better than the PS3 one. The opening sequence on the submarine ruined the PS3 version for me. One of the first things I saw were polygons in the water splashes. After that, it was all down hill and I couldn't help but critique all the graphic imperfections. Most of the problems aren't present on the PC version. So far I'm not wowed by the graphics like I was the first two, but it's nice to be in the nano-suit again. It's already looking like it will be a lot of fun.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
-bakalhau- said:
What is the actual card? Because between a 5650 ad a 5770... There's still some difference.

Mobility GDDR3 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5650 PCI-Express 3D Video [CZ-11 Ultra]

Happy to play on lowest settings, as long as I get solid FPS. Gamee looks mad fun.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
-PXG- said:
They're cheap. Do yourself a favor and get one. I have a 25" 1920 x 1200 (1080p max for consoles) monitor with a 2 ms response. Pure heaven.

Please sir, pray tell what monitor this is? I'm using a 24" BenQ that's 16:10 and it turns most PS3 games into a pixel-lated junkyard...

I'm getting that terrible flickering when any light is on screen. It seems to come from having my 5770's crossfired.

Ugh, I really want to play this. The only fix I've seen has been to put it in windowed mode. However, windowed mode and Crysis give me terrible memories of having to reset it to fullscreen every time.

Juan29.zapata said:
I'm hating that so far.

Having a character talk to you about something and not responding is horrible and forced.

Specially when Gould is calling you Prophet, I mean, come on! JUST SAY YOU'RE ALCATRAZ!

The Nanosuit is obviously putting some extreme pressure on him, as such he has a hard time speaking.

That or he doesn't know which button turns on the intercom.

Dreohboy

DKo5 said:
Find where the game installed (if its from Steam look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\crysis 2) and open "system.cfg".

Put those lines at the bottom of the file, save + quit. I would recommend r_vsync 1 instead of 0, though. While you're at it, install RivaTuner so you can get D3DOverrider to enable Triple Buffering. See this thread for why:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366413

Thanks.

if I go r_vsync 0 won't D3D Overrider still force it?

Can't believe how great this looks and runs on my (pretty decent but not mind-blowing) system.

Also, I appreciate that they went with the 'fake' 3D approach as I'm able to run it at 1080p 60hz with great framerates and without the need to purchase Nvidia 3DTV Play and it still looks damn good to me.

x3sphere

Night shots

bc70956a19d5990ffdb18f0a57da889329765158.jpg

2eda8ad1632af052b0c74d6fcab6058b3a79cf25.jpg

Dreohboy

Unknown Soldier said:

You planning to buy in 2013?

Even 2012?

If you think this game is going to be less than $40 this year you're kidding yourself.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Bought the 360 version. Bout an hour in and I am getting that warm fuzzy feeling that comes at the onset of game love. Graphics are AMAZING. Loving the Halo sized sandbox areas for combat. Loving the crumbled city aesthetic. Loving dynamic physics on zoo many loose environmental items. Loving the sound. Loving the dashing karate kick.

Oh yeah playing in full stereoscopic 3D. There is an option to adjust the % of stereoscopicness (yeah i just invented that word) and it goes down to 0% at which point the game still runs in some kind of 3D and you get quite the performance boost. I'm assuming this is the cheap 'fake 3D' from the demo which still looks good in my book.

Back to playing!

Top Bottom