• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Nekrono

Sinatar said:
Thumbs way up so far. Combat doesn't really feel dumbed down at all (at least on the hardest difficulty) minus the inability to go prone or lean at will. At least the built in cover system compensates for the leaning mostly.

The game is also *gorgeous*, all the bitching from the demo thread feels petty and stupid now cause fuck me this is a stunner.

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis22011-03-2222-559n6e.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

If only we could choose to turn off TAA to take away that retarded blurry look to it :( [SPOILER]and ghosting.[/SPOILER]

Heavy said:
That's even sadder. Wtf? I hope the MP demo didn't turn people off that much. 16,000 is really bad. Are you sure that's not the max you can see?

No that was the total number. When I started playing earlier it was only at 13,000.

Mrbob

So I decided to frame rate check this game in FRAPS. I have a Q9550 at 3.2ghz with a gtx 470 and 4gb of ram.

I turned vsync on and get near a perfect 60 fps on Very High setting. In extreme circumstances the frame rate drops to 55 to 52 but this is only in heavy areas. Otherwise I'm getting a solid 60. In extreme mode I'm averaging about 45FPS. I could lock it down at 30 but I'm going to keep it on Very High for now. Playing this game at 60fps is orgasmic. I'm running at 1080P.

Absolutely loving this game, better than I expected. The shooting feels great, the movement is smooth, love the cover-to-pop out mechanic. The thing that suprised me the most is the level of sandbox gameplay that is introduced here; feels like there are options at every turn.

One thing that really improved things for me is turning the crosshairs off (they clutter my field of vision when shooting an enemy from far away) and turning aim assist off. With no aim assist the shooting mechanics feel waaay less clunky and I use the strafe-and-aim method for minute adjustments.

Way to go, Crytek.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
No that was the total number. When I started playing earlier it was only at 13,000.
That REALLY sucks :(

Even if a lot of people are playing single-player that's a really small number. This is one of the best shooters I've played in years. It's crazy I went from Homefront's campaign to this. It's like going from Snooki to Scarlett.

TheExodu5

Banned
Still early...yeah the fights aren't that open. They feel closer to Uncharted 2's level of open, where the fights feel fairly dynamic, but your options for approaching the fights are still fairly limited. Fights seem to be small arenas separated by linear corridors. Perhaps things open up as the game progresses.

The main thing that seems lacking is the enemy AI. It seems like a downgrade, so far.

Heavy said:

Even if a lot of people are playing single-player that's a really small number. This is one of the best shooters I've played in years. It's crazy I went from Homefront's campaign to this. It's like going from Snooki to Scarlett.

Same here. It's so liberating to have a choice to either stab a guy in the back, shoot him in the face, or just walk by him entirely.

jackdoe

Okay. I just purchased the game from Amazon's download service. The positive reaction to the campaign and the $56.99 price with $15 game credit sealed the deal.

Mrbob

Lol what the heck. There is a 15 dollar credit with the download version now. Hahah that is lame I would have bought this one instead of the retail box.

Wait you get a 15 dollar credit with the retail pc version now. But it is back to $59.99.

jackdoe

Mrbob said:
Lol what the heck. There is a 15 dollar credit with the download version now. Hahah that is lame I word have bought this one instead of the retail box.
I was considering retail box until I saw that the downloadable version was $3 cheaper and had $5 more credit. I personally don't feel that a box and manual are worth $8. And the Amazon.com download speed isn't bad. 2.85 MB/s.

Nekrono

Heavy said:

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Same here. It's so liberating to have a choice to either stab a guy in the back, shoot him in the face, or just walk by him entirely.

I bet it is lol, when it hurts is when you come from Crysis 1 to this :(

Mrbob said:
Lol what the heck. There is a 15 dollar credit with the download version now. Hahah that is lame I would have bought this one instead of the retail box.

Wait you get a 15 dollar credit with the retail pc version now. But it is back to $59.99.
Wow dude we got robbed. Would've been $41.99 for the download. The manual's black and white and sucks and the case is the standard crappy DVD case.

wegotrobbed.gif

Zimbardo

tried out the xbox360 gamepad on the PC version (single player) ...that thing works perfect. all the abilities are mapped perfectly and the xbox buttons are shown on the screen when you have to do things, etc. works great.

Mrbob

Heavy said:
Wow dude we got robbed. Would've been $41.99 for the download. The manual's black and white and sucks and the case is the standard crappy DVD case.

Hey at least it is 13 pages! This has to be a new high for a recent ea game manual! Good thing this game kicks ass so it keeps me from getting truly upset. :D

Mrbob said:
Hey at least it is 13 pages! This has to be a new high for a recent ea game manual! Good thing this game kicks ass so it keeps me from getting truly upset. :D
Indeed. Take my money, Crytek! I don't even have a job anymore, just take it. Well deserved

LaserBuddha said:
What is it with people and DX11? Direct X is a means to an end, not the end itself. Why hold off for a graphical upgrade if this game is already among the best looking ever made?

If this game was using DX11, and looked exactly the way it does now, I don't think anyone would be complaining.

Totally agreed.

Who cares what technology it's being used to make the image the way it is now? It looks spectacular and amazing, so why wait?

It's just an added incentive to play the game through again when DX11 patch comes out and have a better graphical experience the next time...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ok, as I understand no DX11.

Are there graphics options and not encrypted config files at least?

strata8

TheExodu5 said:
Here's what's wrong with the lighting:

crysis2_3.png

Are those plastic briefcases glowing with radiation or something?
Generally that's what it should look like if you have a really bright object contrasting with a dark area. A situation like that doesn't really occur in real life, though, since the 'dark' area in the screenshot would be much brighter.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
k91t.jpg

Goddamn. Just. Goddamn. The night stages in the last half of the game have without question the most impressive lighting I've ever seen.

Mrbob said:
The level of detail in New York city is amazing and this is DX9. I wonder what extras we will see with DX11. I can't believe how well it runs as well.

I love messing with soldiers cloaked. I feel like the Predator.
You won't see shit, best we're gonna get is some half-assed ground tessellation, if we get a dx11 patch at all, it's all in the air at this point.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
If going invisible...throwing nades into a camp full of baddies...then jumping down going to maximum armor and mowing them down while screaming 'diee motherfuckerrrsss'is wrong...then i do not want to be right.

njean777

played 3 multiplayer matches on the ps3 version tonight and its pretty fun, although sometimes it feels like I am shooting them forever. The framerate hiccups are not that bad and do not effect gameplay for me at least.

strata8

luka said:
k91t.jpg

Goddamn. Just. Goddamn. The night stages in the last half of the game have without question the most impressive lighting I've ever seen.
Every shot I've seen of this scene includes the player assassinating that guy. It's really weird.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Only real downer so far is the lack of a quicksave option. Playing on the hardest difficulty so far feels good but if you screw up at all the enemies will drop you damn fast. With the way I'm meticulously stalking and taking guys out, I'm often loosing 20+ minutes when I die.

I imagine the problem isn't so bad on the lower difficulties.

jackdoe

Sinatar said:
Only real downer so far is the lack of a quicksave option. Playing on the hardest difficulty so far feels good but if you screw up at all the enemies will drop you damn fast. With the way I'm meticulously stalking and taking guys out, I'm often loosing 20+ minutes when I die.

I imagine the problem isn't so bad on the lower difficulties.
They took away quicksave? That sucks. With quicksaves, I could experiment more frequently without fear of losing 10 to 20 minutes of work.

Lasthope106 said:
Anyone with an 8800GT playing this game? How are the framerates and at what resolution are you playing? I'm on the fence, but as I mentioned a few pages back, the original Crysis runs in the mid 20s fps at 1440x900 and I fear this game is going to run the same.

I got the demo to run in advanced at mid 30's but the single player is a whole other beast.

Im running an 8800 gt with 3gb ram and a 2.4ghz processor. I've played thru most of the SP on the highest setting with v-sync on and it runs pretty consistently over 30fps at 1280x768. If you turn off v-sync that will go up a bit. During the larger environments with lots of post (rain/ particles/ smoke) it will drop under 20 though.

Ive now switched to "very high" (the middle option) and im rocking close to 60. It will drop around 30 every once in a while, but it is so smooth it never gets choppy. Aside from the motion blur getting switched off (still there for guns) and a little less AA (not sure exactly what it runs in the 2 settings) it looks the same to me. There might be slightly less polys on "very high" but i cant tell a difference. Id be very interested in what the differences actually are if anyone knows the actual details.

It runs a shit ton better than Crysis 1 on my rig and it is just staggeringly beautiful. I havent seen anything near this quality before. Im stunned.

Now if i could actually get the MP to work.... The game wont accept my MyCrysis ID so i cant sign in to the online yet. Kinda ridiculous :/

IceMarker

STOP IT GAF, STOP MAKING ME WANT TO BUY THIS GAME AGAIN, THE DEMO KILLED My INTEREST AND NOW YOU'RE BRINGING IT BACK

I'll just wait for this years holiday Steam sale.

Top Bottom