• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Cornbread78

I asked earlier, but do you think this will be woth it on PS3 honestly? I only buy a few new games a year and I already have this one paid off.. I just don't want to waste my money if there is something better (outsode of Socom) coming out in the next few months.

strata8

adelante said:
Crytek said there wouldn't be any realtime GI on consoles versions? News to me....
They didn't, but you can't see it in the videos, eg:
GIComparison.gif

But it honestly still looks amazing without it, so why does it matter?

scitek

Cornbread78 said:
I asked earlier, but do you think this will be woth it on PS3 honestly? I only buy a few new games a year and I already have this one paid off.. I just don't want to waste my money if there is something better (outsode of Socom) coming out in the next few months.

I hung onto my pre-order. I think it'll be worth it.

Truant

adelante said:
Crytek said there wouldn't be any realtime GI on consoles versions? News to me....

Didn't Eurogamer say it was impressive that they got the GI working on consoles? I may be wrong here, so don't go all nerd-rage on me.

Ermm, this game is looking fucking amazing Single player-wise?

Seriously, seems to have borrowed from the Halo formula big time. Big(ish) areas, fairly open in terms of how to approach a scenario, yet remains very much a linear/objective based campaign with scripted moments sprinkled throughout.

I'll take this any day of the week over the fucking awful campaigns that exist in COD/Modern-shooter games - even if it's not massive like Crysis 1.

Peterthumpa

Mhuahahuahuahua, I told you non-believers, game looks amazing, period.
Waiting for final PC version running to redeem Crytek, lol.
ok, just kidding... but it DOES look amazing on the 360

Talafas

Neo Member
360 footage looks amazing! really liked the PC demo after altering the fov. I can't remember being this hyped over a fps in a long time... haters be damned

scitek

Cornbread78 said:
I hope to see more impression outside of the MP demo, that I heard was g0d-aweful at best!

I liked the multiplayer. It wasn't original, but I thought the map design was pretty awesome. Lots of shortcuts, places to hide, good XP system, good gunplay, etc. I played a shit-ton of CoD4 and World at War, and it honestly was just as fun.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I actually don't mind a limited set of options, providing they are properly optimised for my setup. I can tend to get a bit of analysis paralysis tweaking different settings, trying to get the right balance of framerate/visuals. Someone else doing that hard work for me would be appreciated.

But considering the vast combinations on PC that probably isn't possible.

i've nearly spent all my Crysis 2 preorder cancellation credit on other games now. I know i'll buy it day one, who am I kidding?

Khronikos

Banned
Really, this is what you guys get hyped on after those demo's? I can maybe understand the PC version totally maxed but honestly I have spent some time with both console demo's and I come away feeling like this game is a complete and utter waste of time. A piece of shit as they say. Yet this is gold to some of you? Hmmm. I must adjust my standards. I guess I don't whore for shooters. Killing people gets way too boring to play crap like this over and over. For some people killing must be life. Good luck.

plagiarize said:
just because we can't talk about specifics of the leak doesn't mean it didn't happen. there are plenty of people that have played that talking about the single player and posting impressions elsewhere.

and no, the embargo doesn't worry me because it's standard business for EA these days it seems. if only Dragon Age 2 had the same embargo i'd be worried, but given Dead Space 2 also had it... the embargo says nothing to me of the quality of the game.

this thread is massive because peoples emotions are running much higher. i honestly think that Warhead would have received similar response if it had been on consoles. PC gamers would have been more offended by the dumbed down gameplay, more linear level design, change of preset names to 'gamer' and 'enthusiast' and the like.

i think we're all a little disappointed if we were fans of the original. i just think people here on gaf are for the most part capable of looking past that and forming an opinion of the game as it is, rather than ranting about how it is unacceptable that they can't tweak graphical options in the menus of the game or how it's only running on DX9.

i'm only trying to reason with these people for their own sake. these 'principles' at best will get them not to play a game they wouldn't have played anyway (say if Crysis 2's single player is universally criticised). at worst, these principles will get rob these people of a fun sequel to a game they obviously loved.

Dude you come off as a real patronizing ass in this paragraph. Trying to reason for our own sakes? Give me a break. Also I see you can't help but continue your straw man statements. The majority of people who have an issue with the lack of options haven't said they're never buying the game, they're saying they're not spending $50-60 on it and instead will wait for a Steam sale. But I suppose we should thank the heavens for your presence has arrived in trying to REASON with us on why this is a justifiable purchase for OUR money and that if we choose not to use OUR money that WE have earned for the $60 price tag that it's somehow unfair to Crytek. Too funny.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So far it just looks good, not great. Everything else is not impressing me. I want to see some PC footage from the single player.

Khronikos said:
Really, this is what you guys get hyped on after those demo's? I can maybe understand the PC version totally maxed but honestly I have spent some time with both console demo's and I come away feeling like this game is a complete and utter waste of time. A piece of shit as they say. Yet this is gold to some of you? Hmmm. I must adjust my standards. I guess I don't whore for shooters. Killing people gets way too boring to play crap like this over and over. For some people killing must be life. Good luck.

It is quite possible to have divisive opinions on two different game modes. I actually liked the multiplayer (not so much on the 360, even though it ran okay I thought the aiming was awful), but the SP looks loads better. I've never even loaded up Crysis Wars, so the SP was always going to make or break the game for me.

LiquidMetal14

Heavy said:
WOW! What happened to the corridors, guys? Can't seem to find them in this vid! Shocking!

This is the exact mini-sandbox gameplay I've come to love from the series.

By the way, it looks fantastic, especially if that really is the console version.
Those really aren't that open....yet at least :p

Khronikos said:
Killin's in mah blood

pixelbox

I would like to express my irritation for Crytec here. They've promised GL, deformable environments, all realtime shadows, ect. and what we have here is a static Halo/COD mash-up. GL is missing, particles do not interact with the environment ala KZ2,KZ3,UC2, shadows are not all dynamic and bink blended cutscenes. Don't get me wrong, it looks fantastic, but most of the shit is baked/static. I know there's not many resources on the consoles but why lie about what you can do on them? Speaking strictly in the developing sense, any dev could bake from a better source.

pixelbox

Heavy said:
WOW! What happened to the corridors, guys? Can't seem to find them in this vid! Shocking!

This is the exact mini-sandbox gameplay I've come to love from the series.

By the way, it looks fantastic, especially if that really is the console version.
Well, with all the shit that was taken out, they have enough resources to make bigger environments...

scitek

Khronikos said:

Sho-Nuff82 said:
It is quite possible to have divisive opinions on two different game modes. I actually liked the multiplayer (not so much on the 360, even though it ran okay I thought the aiming was awful), but the SP looks loads better. I've never even loaded up Crysis Wars, so the SP was always going to make or break the game for me.

Can you imagine if Dead Space 2 only had a multiplayer demo?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
pixelbox said:
all realtime shadows,

all shadows and lights are realtime, it's the foundation of their engine. If shadows don't move it doesn't mean that they aren't realtime.

LiquidMetal14

Mikasangelos said:
im hoping the final release for PS3 isnt what was presented in the DEMO. Anyone confirm?
The Crysis SP looked better than the MP for sure. It was a bad choice to release an MP demo of the second. They can beta test the hell out of that on their own. Crysis, again, is an SP game first.

I have no doubts that all versions will look better than their MP counterparts. It's the handling of this that is offensive. We have leaked PC and 360 version footage here too. Unless somehow someone legit has a real 360 copy and not one of those download ones as was stated yesterday.

Khronikos

Banned
If the single is somehow that much better than congrats. KZ3's multi looks exactly like single so I am not sure what the hell people are expecting. Their engine is their engine and looks like shit on consoles. You might have lower standards so be it. But that is the word. The truth. And I don't pay nor should you pay 60 dollars or even close to what at times looks like MAG. Some of you guys and gals are in fairy land imo. This game ain't going to pull miracles in single that is not how game engines work. You think single is somehow so much less intensive that there is going to be this great leap in graphics? LOFL. Hilarious.

LiquidMetal14

subversus said:
all shadows and lights are realtime, it's the foundation of their engine. If shadows don't move it doesn't mean that they aren't realtime.
It just means their less impressive than other games which do more than static lighting as seen with differed rendering techniques. It's basically just putting it there but nothing more.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
LiquidMetal14 said:
It just means their less impressive than other games which do more than static lighting as seen with differed rendering techniques. It's basically just putting it there but nothing more.

What do you mean? I can't understand.

Khronikos

Banned
chris0701 said:
wow,best water I 've seen in this gen

Oh, good god. These posts should be edited for extreme exaggeration. Game isn't even top 5. U2 still holds this crown by quite the margin on consoles imo and in 720p without framedrops or tearing or some shitty AA. Not sure how anybody could disagree harshly unless you are blind.

All this talk of realtime this and that. Make your game look good not your fucking tech rhetoric.

LiquidMetal14

subversus said:
What do you mean? I can't understand.
Perhaps I quote the wrong person :p

Khronikos said:
Oh, good god. These posts should be edited for extreme exaggeration. U2 still holds this crown by quite the margin on consoles imo and in 720p without framedrops or tearing or some shitty AA. Not sure how anybody could disagree harshly unless you are blind.

All this talk of realtime this and that. Make your game look good not your fucking tech rhetoric.
Let them have their opinion. It doesn't look better than what you mentioned and it doesn't even look better than Crysis 1. Haven't played the entire game to make that call.

LovingSteam said:
Dude you come off as a real patronizing ass in this paragraph. Trying to reason for our own sakes? Give me a break. Also I see you can't help but continue your straw man statements. The majority of people who have an issue with the lack of options haven't said they're never buying the game, they're saying they're not spending $50-60 on it and instead will wait for a Steam sale. But I suppose we should thank the heavens for your presence has arrived in trying to REASON with us on why this is a justifiable purchase for OUR money and that if we choose not to use OUR money that WE have earned for the $60 price tag that it's somehow unfair to Crytek. Too funny.
again you fail at reading comprehension. start reading what i write or stop responding because so long as you keep responding to things i never said, or presuming things about me counter to information i have already given you, i will keep patronising you.

i have never said the game is a justifiable purchase for your money. i have never said you have to buy it at any price. i have never said you have to like it.

i asked that you could judge the game based on what it is, not on how it fails to meet your expectations, and you replied saying...
Why should I do that when they can't be bothered to put simple effort in to allowing basic customizations that Indie games offer?

never have i said it is only fair to Crytek. i couldn't give a shit how they feel about it. i think refusing to judge a game fairly because it hasn't got graphics customisation menus is stupid.

i think refusing to judge a game fairly for any reason is immature.

asking you to judge the game fairly, as i've repeated time and again (and been ignored time and again) is not asking you to do anything but JUDGE the game. not to like it. not to buy it. none of that shit.

you accusations of 'straw man' is amusing to me. i've seen this behaviour a lot in debating. criticise the other person of what you're doing yourself first, so that if they try and criticise you back for it they'll sound stupid.

from wiki:
To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.

show me where i have done that. show me where i have misrepresented your argument. i may have lampooned it, but i don't believe i've ever misrepresented it.

your argument as i see it is essentially this:

if Crytek can't be bothered to put in the minimal effort to offer me the options i am used to, why should i be bothered to pay any attention to anything else.

you seem to think mine is:

Crysis 2 is still an awesome game even though it has these flaws, and you should totally buy it!

i wonder why.

S1kkZ

Khronikos said:
Oh, good god. These posts should be edited for extreme exaggeration. Game isn't even top 5. U2 still holds this crown by quite the margin on consoles imo and in 720p without framedrops or tearing or some shitty AA. Not sure how anybody could disagree harshly unless you are blind.

meltdown, much?

pixelbox

subversus said:
I'm aware of what they are, and i'm saying they are not. Their engine can bake shit in, it was in a dev video i saw. Light maps as well. If you can't tell, then they did a pretty damn good job hiding it but as for me? I can see though their BS with my ultimate eye. I will say their lighting is some of the most beautiful this GEN. Can't say much about the water since the reflections update at a lower framerate than the actural game. Plus it seems the only time the water actrually moves is if it is pre-programed to do so, i.e. ocean.

Khronikos

Banned
Why is that a meltdown? It is a response to an obviously limited opinion that should go no further than that post. It does other devs an extreme injustice. There is no meltdown here dude. I am in a great mood. WTF. Anything critical is a meltdown?

Again, Crytek has lied to us in a fashion that should not be acceptable at all. This is negativity and rationality rearing its ugly head. They deserve all of it.

LiquidMetal14

S1kkZ said:
meltdown, much?
Please leave these kinds of responses out of the conversation. Don't make it SW type banter. Your comment goes along the lines of a butthurt and angered slant. Don't be condescending. To me, there's no reason to claim anything as we haven't even see the entirety of the game :p

[Nintex]

Mikasangelos said:
im hoping the final release for PS3 isnt what was presented in the DEMO. Anyone confirm?
I recall some Crytek or EA guy say that the PS3 demo was released later so they were able to use the final code for the demo and everyone was like 'yeah' and then it launched and I was like lol playstation.

Khronikos said:
They deserve all of it.
Even the "who can list the most PlayStation exclusives!" on one page competition?

Top Bottom