• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

FINALBOSS said:
So far all I've really seen is people talking about the SP. How's the MP playing? Any ideas of if this is a game people are going to stick with online? Not counting lag issues and such.

I really like the MP. I've played about 2 hours last night and 3 hours on the demo. The maps are nice. Don't feel too cramped. No campers so far plaguing the game. Snipers are not an issue. I like the dogtag system. It rewards people who don't sit in corners with killstreaks. Or it could punish you if you aren't careful when retrieving them. I think I'm gonna stick with this game until BF3 comes out. Amazon's giving a 32 dollar GC for Black Ops and that seems mighty tempting to me.

Klocker

Multiplayer on 360 kicks ass

Get games fast. Not too bad a connection and the games are full, frantic and fun. Maps look friggin outstanding too.

Rikyfree

I'm posting this again since I didn't get an answer:
Should I get the PC or console version?

My rig- 2.83 dualcore processor
radeon HD 4680 1 gb
2 gb ram
Vista 32b

I've been playing the PC version with, extreme, 1080p, fullscreen, no v-sync and have noticed some framerate issues.

Specs
Phenom II X4 955 4.0Ghz
6950 flashed to 6970 Bios 900Mhz
8Gbs Ram 1600Mhz

Haven't turned on Fraps

FINALBOSS said:
So far all I've really seen is people talking about the SP. How's the MP playing? Any ideas of if this is a game people are going to stick with online? Not counting lag issues and such.

It seems like a toss up. On PS3, somebody in this thread said that there were 16,000 playing. Some games are full, other games only have 6 people in them. I'm not sure if that's a match making problem or a numbers problem.

In terms of gameplay, it's good and bad. I find that there are a lot of cheap deaths, and it's comparable to Black Ops in that regard. There are times when I'm pumping almost a full round of SMG bullets into somebody and they just run up and kill me with 2 shots of a handgun. This might be a lag issue, but it's very frustrating.

The customization aspect seems pretty fun. It's very much like COD, but with less perk redundancy.

Overall, I'd be willing to stick with it if the community stays and they patch up a couple issues.

Right, I'm a few hours in, and so far, I have a few remarks on the game. Naturally, there'll be spoilers, so read them at your own risk.

The story itself isn't bad, but fairly generic. Aliens take over major city, lone hero has to stop them. Richard Morgan tried spicing things up by making the Nanosuit 2 a big deal, but I'm not a big fan of what he did. The whole "semi-organic"-thing is rather confusing and stupid, especially as the Nanosuit 1 was rather widespread.

The main character, well, so far, I'm not really liking him either. Mute protagonists are a cliché I rather avoid. I would've infinitely preferred playing as Nomad again, but so far, his story just seems like its being glossed over. Prophet got made super-important, only so he could shoot himself in the first minutes of the game. For a character that raised so many questions during Crysis 1, killing him off like that was kinda lame and anti-climactic.

The presentation of the story also raises some huge question marks. The moment you're pulled out of the water by Prophet and get donned in the Nanosuit 2, a horribly compressed (360 version) opening cinematic starts playing, in which a Nanosuited character wakes up and starts killing everything. It took me a while to realize I was actually watching Prophet, and not Alcatraz. Even worse, this cinematic had a big "PRESS A TO SKIP"-message in the lower middle of the screen the entire time it was playing, as do all the other intermission cutscenes, which look like they got lifted straight out of Call of Duty 4. They only exist to mask the level loading, and take Alcatraz conveniently from one place to the other.

To kill some of the negativity, though, I'm enjoying the dialog. The A.I. often have interesting things to say, and the lines delivered by some of the main characters (Hargreave comes to mind) are pretty awesome. His fascination with and study of the Ceph biology are pretty awesomely conveyed in his dialog. The other characters have some pretty good moments, too.

The sound is awesome, too. It may sound silly saying it like this, but the game sounds really, really good. I'm a big fan of the aliens' garbled speech and mechanical noises.

Oh, speaking of the aliens, they're pretty amazing to fight. Tough, but not too tough, they can present quite a challenge if you're not careful. One thing I'm wondering, though... Crytek kept their base forms so similar to what we saw in Crysis 1, so it'd be pretty easy to explain the whole "new armor"-thing. But why did they make them red, instead of blue?

Anyways, I'll write down some more thoughts later on.

Gvaz

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
smh... Can't believe there are people defending silent protagonists. Then again there seems to be a defence force for everything on GAF.
I can't believe people defend voiced protagonists. I simply can't relate with roleplaying a character if I can't pick and choose the lines I'm saying. Having him voiced is just another disconnect I don't want to have.

Rikyfree said:

radeon HD 4680 1 gb
2 gb ram
Vista 32b
That's a close one. I'm not sure. Did some googling and couldn't even find benchmarks for a 4680...

How did the MP demo run for you?

see5harp

Kibbles said:
Is there a catch to the 10 day free trial of gamefly? Like could I just rent it and play it for a few days and cancel and send it back without a charge?

There's no catch but at this point you're not getting Crysis 2 by the end of your trial. The game was basically all shipped by a day before release date.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finally available on the australian steam store! just decrypted the files but now i have a 3gb update to download.>_>

SeanR1221

I'm stuck in single player

It's on the FDR highway. I'm told to get a vehicle, but all I see is a tank at the end of the highway. I can't get anywhere near it, and when I do (with stealth) I don't see a way to take it. The blue waypoint is at a cracked wall...I'm assuming I need a tank to blow it up

Any help?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Wait, you can skip the cutscenes in the 360 version? Is there something I'm missing on pc?

FINALBOSS said:
I wouldn't know I haven't even been able to log in! :mad:

Rikyfree

Heavy said:
That's a close one. I'm not sure. Did some googling and couldn't even find benchmarks for a 4680...

How did the MP demo run for you?
I didn't try it on the pc. Also that was my bad, its a hd 4650

TheExodu5

Banned
Rikyfree said:

radeon HD 4680 1 gb
2 gb ram
Vista 32b

I'd probably go with the console version on that one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
SeanR1221 said:
I'm stuck in single player

It's on the FDR highway. I'm told to get a vehicle, but all I see is a tank at the end of the highway. I can't get anywhere near it, and when I do (with stealth) I don't see a way to take it. The blue waypoint is at a cracked wall...I'm assuming I need a tank to blow it up

Any help?
I got stuck there too.
There's a sewer to the right of where the tank is. Go through that and it'll take you under the wall to where there's another one parked. Get into that one, blow through the wall and continue on through the tunnel.

SeanR1221

RoboPlato said:
I got stuck there too.
There's a sewer to the right of where the tank is. Go through that and it'll take you under the wall to where there's another one parked. Get into that one, blow through the wall and continue on through the tunnel.

Thanks so much. After a half hour, I rage quit.

I'll come back to it later tonight or tomorrow.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
4 hours in now.

This is a game that is highly competent on all fronts, but never exciting, and designed with zero ambition. Crytek went into this desiring to funnel money into a successful, safe "AAA" game and nothing more. And that's fine for them to want to do from a business perspective, since they want to show off the potential of Cryengine 3 for development of typical sorts of games, much like Epic did with Gears of War, but it's very depressing as a fan of the original Crysis (and Far Cry before it).

Hiring Richard Morgan and Peter Watts has to be nothing more than a marketing bullet point, because so far the story amounts to "go here...now go here...now go here...oh shit! go here." There is no story, just a series of very, very thin excuses for traversing the environment from one enemy encounter to the next. I haven't done anything or experienced anything.

That wouldn't be so bad, but the combat is not particularly interesting either (on the highest difficulty). My tactical options are basically flanking with armor mode on or doing hit and run headshots with cloak, or just trying to avoid combat entirely. Everything's been so carefully designed to facilitate a specific set of multiple options in each set piece, and to wave these tactical options in your face (with the awful yellow overlays), that whatever I decide to do never feels like a good decision or a bad decision, but rather just a whim with no particular consequence. It reminds me of Deus Ex: Invisible War's design doctrine in that regard.

Nothing too surprising, considering what I knew going in, but it's still a shame.

RoboPlato said:
I got stuck there too.
Same here. :lol
I cloaked to the tank, killed the gunner, and then thought that if I stood behind it, I could have a look around and plan my next move. Apparently, the tank thought otherwise, and shot me through its own hull. :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Multiplayer shots

multi2.bmp

multi1.bmp

multi3.bmp

multi6.bmp

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Blue Ninja said:
Same here. :lol
I cloaked to the tank, killed the gunner, and then thought that if I stood behind it, I could have a look around and plan my next move. Apparently, the tank thought otherwise, and shot me through its own hull. :lol
I did the same thing three times.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
EviLore said:
4 hours in now.

This is a game that is highly competent on all fronts, but never exciting, and designed with zero ambition. Crytek went into this desiring to funnel money into a successful, safe "AAA" game and nothing more. And that's fine for them to want to do from a business perspective, since they want to show off the potential of Cryengine 3 for development of typical sorts of games, much like Epic did with Gears of War, but it's very depressing as a fan of the original Crysis (and Far Cry before it).

Hiring Richard Morgan and Peter Watts has to be nothing more than a marketing bullet point, because so far the story amounts to "go here...now go here...now go here...oh shit! go here." There is no story, just a series of very, very thin excuses for traversing the environment from one enemy encounter to the next. I haven't done anything or experienced anything.

That wouldn't be so bad, but the combat is not particularly interesting either (on the highest difficulty). My tactical options are basically flanking with armor mode on or doing hit and run headshots with cloak, or just trying to avoid combat entirely. Everything's been so carefully designed to facilitate a specific set of multiple options in each set piece, and to wave these tactical options in your face (with the awful yellow overlays), that whatever I decide to do never feels like a good decision or a bad decision, but rather just a whim with no particular consequence. It reminds me of Deus Ex: Invisible War's design doctrine in that regard.

Nothing too surprising, considering what I knew going in, but it's still a shame.
Hey, now. Comparing it to DXIW is pretty harsh, even for you. :p

I personally think the game really starts picking up in "Train to catch" in the last half. "Unsafe Haven" in particular was a mindblowing level, both visually and gameplay-wise. I agree that a lot of the accessibility additions are terrible, but I had a hell of a lot of fun with it.

I'd recommend any PC gamer plays on veteran at least on their first time through, if not post-human.

lantus

Yup, same results here regarding the PS3 res setting. 720 definitely makes the hud and textures noticeably sharper, not that I had anything to complain about to begin with, but I see a difference.

aeolist

Banned
EviLore said:
4 hours in now.

About what I expected

Commence waiting for $30 sale, thinking it'll get that low during a Steam sale this year

EviLore said:
Everything's been so carefully designed to facilitate a specific set of multiple options in each set piece, and to wave these tactical options in your face (with the awful yellow overlays), that whatever I decide to do never feels like a good decision or a bad decision, but rather just a whim with no particular consequence. It reminds me of Deus Ex: Invisible War's design doctrine in that regard.
here's where i don't agree. i don't see the yellow highlights as your only options, merely suggestions. i rarely follow those suggestions myself and have been enjoying carving my own path, and changing my tactics on a whim.

at the part of FDR where you first encounter a tank for example, i didn't go in through the sewers. i didn't go in underneath the highway. i didn't go around the left to 'observe' as suggested.

i kicked a car down to the doors on the right, keeping out of sight, and instead lept over the locked gate between the two observation out posts.

there was no invisible wall preventing this and it didn't break the scripting.

the game is full of situations like that. the suggestions are just a starting point.

sure, as you move from one sandbox to the next you are shunted through a choke point, but within each sandbox don't think for one moment that your only options are the ones highlighted before you. challenge yourself to do something else.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Klocker said:
Multiplayer on 360 kicks ass

Get games fast. Not too bad a connection and the games are full, frantic and fun. Maps look friggin outstanding too.
MP is my biggest surprise out of Cry2. It's extremely solid for a franchise that never put any emphasis on it. I sure wish it had some vehicle maps though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
plagiarize said:
here's where i don't agree. i don't see the yellow highlights as your only options, merely suggestions. i rarely follow those suggestions myself and have been enjoying carving my own path, and changing my tactics on a whim.

at the part of FDR where you first encounter a tank for example, i didn't go in through the sewers. i didn't go in underneath the highway. i didn't go around the left to 'observe' as suggested.

i kicked a car down to the doors on the right, keeping out of sight, and instead lept over the locked gate between the two observation out posts.

the game is full of situations like that. the suggestions are just a starting point.

sure, as you move from one sandbox to the next you are shunted through a choke point, but within each sandbox don't think for one moment that your only options are the ones highlighted before you. challenge yourself to do something else.

I don't look at or follow the yellow options, I just know that each set piece has been designed with them in mind, and I cringe each time the suit informs me that it's time to look at the overlay.

It's also extremely generous to call each set piece a "sandbox."

Mrbob said:
I'm loving Crysis 2 but how can the game not be scaled back when it is made to work on systems with 512MB of total ram? My video card alone has over double this amount beyond my main system ram. So the game would have to be scaled back when the target hardware to develop on doesn't pack as much punch.

At any given moment you are probably looking at more static geometry (buildings, bridges, streets, etc) being processed than Crysis 1 ever had to do. You are probably looking at a far larger investment in art/textures as well due to the urban setting. It takes way more effort to build a busted up city than paint terrain maps and place trees. Anyone who has used the Crysis editor would know.

You can look at it like this...the game is scaled back to accomodate the console version which in turn (and in theory) buys you 1920x1080 @60fps on your PC and added effects, higher res textures, and better draw distances which the console version could never do in a million years. Sure they could have upped the game more for PC, and lets be honest, EVERY game could do more if the spec was higher but return on development investment is far more important than appeasing hardcore PC game enthusiasts.

I would think that more people would rather have a game they could play smoothly on their current rig (assuming that it is playing smoother on their PC ) than the Crysis 1 problem where in some cases it took a long time for enough people with PCs good enough to really show the game off.

PC specs also no not equal console specs. Windows will eat up more resources than a console when idling let alone running anything. Windows Explorer alone is sucking up 80 meg as I write this. Not that this is that big of an issue.

I've seen the Cry Engine 3 demo from GDC 2009 and it is obvious from what they showed the consoles could run Crysis with a few draw distance cuts on props and so forth as well as a 720p resolution setting to keep the framerate up. Hell they essentially had it running.

It is really a case of apples and oranges due to the environment style they went with here, but what is important to Crytek was showing off that their engine is flexable enough to accomodate both which many publishers were very sceptical of believeing the engine was only suitable for outdoor areas.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
plagiarize said:

I completely agree with you. The tactical options are merely suggestions that I've only used as a starting point. Usually the combat shifts in a way that it's no longer a viable option and I have to improvise. I love the flow of fights in this game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
By the way its true that the PC version doesnt include the Sandbox editor?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
EviLore said:
Yes, post-human is not particularly difficult.
It does get tricky on the last few stages though, when they start throwing groups of the big brute aliens + energy shielded guys at you, coming from someone who can basically no-death speed run the original on delta.

edit: I can also thankfully reveal that the game has no shitty/scripted boss fights at all.

jackdoe

The melee glitch is aggravating as hell. Every time I die, the melee locks up and I can't use it unless I restart the game (quit to Windows and load it up again). I don't use melee that often, but this kind of bug shouldn't exist.

Kibbles

see5harp said:
There's no catch but at this point you're not getting Crysis 2 by the end of your trial. The game was basically all shipped by a day before release date.
It says availability is low, so I assume they still have some copies

luka

Loves Robotech S1
jackdoe said:
The melee glitch is aggravating as hell. Every time I die, the melee locks up and I can't use it unless I restart the game (quit to Windows and load it up again). I don't use melee that often, but this kind of bug shouldn't exist.
Usually tapping 1 to switch primaries a couple times straightens out any of these control glitches I got.

Jtrizzy

So after playing through 2 or 3 hours of single player on PS3, here are my thoughts. Great game, atmosphere is well done. Reminds me of Arkham Asylum with the guided open world feel. It's still pretty linear, but way better than other console fps I've played. I still haven't finished KZ3, however.

Technically it looks pretty good, considering the PS3 shortcomings like hard to make out enemies because of the low res and blurry aa, and too much dust (especially) or smoke effects look bad. Of course there is that lingering feeling that annoys you knowing that it doesn't look as good as it could/should. I rented it, but If I only had a PS3 I'd probably buy it. I'm building a gaming PC in June and I will buy both Crysis games right away.

I've been through the various resolutions and 3d as well. My understanding is that this isn't true stereo 3d. Either way it's the same as 2d in that indoor parts look way better, and frankly pretty impressive. I will say it gave me more eyestrain than the best 3d titles on PS3.

I guess it looks better forcing 720 in 2d, but it could be a placebo effect from reading people claim it is better. Looking forward to the DF article.

eshwaaz

Gvaz said:
I can't believe people defend voiced protagonists. I simply can't relate with roleplaying a character if I can't pick and choose the lines I'm saying. Having him voiced is just another disconnect I don't want to have.
I think both can work, and I don't have particularly strong feelings about Alcatraz either way, but there are definitely games where a voiced protagonist would really hurt the experience for me.

In Half-Life 2, when Alyx is speaking to Gordon with obvious affection and admiration, it would kill that moment to hear Gordon voice a reply. Because of the way those games are designed and presented, she's not really speaking to Gordon, she's speaking to the player.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
EviLore said:
4 hours in now.

That is what the story in Crysis was like, though. The gameplay you described was Crysis as well, except in Crysis 2 the vehicles are almost non-existant. On foot combat is just as good as the first. I played through most of it not too long ago when I upgraded to my 1090t. C2 is a lot easier though, and the hand holding is kinda lame.

jackdoe

luka said:
Usually tapping 1 to switch primaries a couple times straightens out any of these control glitches I got.
Huh. I'll give that a shot.

_tetsuo_ said:
That is what the story in Crysis was like, though. The gameplay you described was Crysis as well, except in Crysis 2 the vehicles are almost non-existant. On foot combat is just as good as the first. I played through most of it not too long ago when I upgraded to my 1090t
To be honest, the only time I truly enjoyed a vehicle in Crysis 1 was when I piloted a VTOL and a tank. All the other vehicles sucked in that there was really no way to shoot AND drive at the same time as you had to change seats to do so. So it doesn't quite bother me too much if there are fewer vehicles in Crysis 2.

Top Bottom