• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

see5harp

Kibbles said:
It says availability is low, so I assume they still have some copies

Not really. I had two open spots for launch day and didn't get one. They may have copies at certain shipping centers but if you are anywhere in CA, you aren't getting one.

Pimpbaa

I'm after seeing alot of textures in the game that are in dire need of parallax mapping or something similar. Like flat rock textures and another with a bunch of bullets on the ground and that is all flat as well. I'm hoping the dx11 patch will remedy this.

Warm Machine said:
At any given moment you are probably looking at more static geometry (buildings, bridges, streets, etc) being processed than Crysis 1 ever had to do. You are probably looking at a far larger investment in art/textures as well due to the urban setting. It takes way more effort to build a busted up city than paint terrain maps and place trees. Anyone who has used the Crysis editor would know.

You can look at it like this...the game is scaled back to accomodate the console version which in turn (and in theory) buys you 1920x1080 @60fps on your PC and added effects, higher res textures, and better draw distances which the console version could never do in a million years. Sure they could have upped the game more for PC, and lets be honest, EVERY game could do more if the spec was higher but return on development investment is far more important than appeasing hardcore PC game enthusiasts.

I would think that more people would rather have a game they could play smoothly on their current rig (assuming that it is playing smoother on their PC ) than the Crysis 1 problem where in some cases it took a long time for enough people with PCs good enough to really show the game off.

PC specs also no not equal console specs. Windows will eat up more resources than a console when idling let alone running anything. Windows Explorer alone is sucking up 80 meg as I write this. Not that this is that big of an issue.

I've seen the Cry Engine 3 demo from GDC 2009 and it is obvious from what they showed the consoles could run Crysis with a few draw distance cuts on props and so forth as well as a 720p resolution setting to keep the framerate up. Hell they essentially had it running.

It is really a case of apples and oranges due to the environment style they went with here, but what is important to Crytek was showing off that their engine is flexable enough to accomodate both which many publishers were very sceptical of believeing the engine was only suitable for outdoor areas.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for elaborating.

_tetsuo_ said:
That is what the story in Crysis was like, though. The gameplay you described was Crysis as well, except in Crysis 2 the vehicles are almost non-existant. On foot combat is just as good as the first. I played through most of it not too long ago when I upgraded to my 1090t
Agreed. Only thing really different is the lack of vehicles, which wasn't a huge part of C1's gameplay to begin with. The armor/stealth mode gameplay he described is just like the first game. Sprint might not be as fast but you do get other moves that weren't in the first like the slide, being able to grab ledges off jumps, and seamlessly running over small obstacles... those last two allowing you to move much smoother through the environment.

Pimpbaa said:
I'm after seeing alot of textures in the game that are in dire need of parallax mapping or something similar. Like flat rock textures and another with a bunch of bullets on the ground and that is all flat as well. I'm hoping the dx11 patch will remedy this.

Stairs generally look awful especially in buildings.

So can we agree that it turned out the people who were drawing attention to the streamlining of the game, the reduced options and the arrows indicating what to do were (mostly) right?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I NEED SCISSORS said:
So can we agree that it turned out the people who were drawing attention to the streamlining of the game, the reduced options and the arrows indicating what to do were right?
Since when has GAF agreed on anything?

Nekrono

I NEED SCISSORS said:
So can we agree that it turned out the people who were drawing attention to the streamlining of the game, the reduced options and the arrows indicating what to do were (mostly) right?

Pretty much, except that the game is not bad, therefore the mixed emotions in the thread.

One thing I have to add. I'm really digging the audio. I think it even tops Battlefield Bad Company 2. The sound the bullets make when it clanks on the metal is music to my ears. The soundtrack is also amazing. Plus, I love how it unlocks all the songs for you when you progress through the game.

game is actually really really good. Just not nearly as much freedom as Crysis 1. Honestly feels more like Halo+Uncharted+crysis.

Its definately not the Lazy AI less" thrill rides" most COD type fps games are now a days.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
game is actually really really good. Just not nearly as much freedom as Crysis 1. Honestly feels more like Halo+Uncharted+crysis.

Yeah. I'm still really early, but it's feeling a little dumb though (just got the
alien injection
). I basically go in and blast people. Stealth around with my near limitless energy and blast more people. Maybe I should up the difficulty. I played Crysis on regular difficulty and it offered a proper challenge.

Nekrono said:
Pretty much, except that the game is not bad, therefore the mixed emotions in the thread.

So is it like this?:

Console only gamers = aroused and surprised!
PC only gamers = angry and dissapointed
PC/console gamers = dissapointed but condescending

I'm in the latter BTW but I still haven't got the chance to aquire the game so I can have my real and well fundamented opinion about it.

JoeBoy101

EviLore said:
4 hours in now.

This is a game that is highly competent on all fronts, but never exciting, and designed with zero ambition. Crytek went into this desiring to funnel money into a successful, safe "AAA" game and nothing more. And that's fine for them to want to do from a business perspective, since they want to show off the potential of Cryengine 3 for development of typical sorts of games, much like Epic did with Gears of War, but it's very depressing as a fan of the original Crysis (and Far Cry before it).

Hiring Richard Morgan and Peter Watts has to be nothing more than a marketing bullet point, because so far the story amounts to "go here...now go here...now go here...oh shit! go here." There is no story, just a series of very, very thin excuses for traversing the environment from one enemy encounter to the next. I haven't done anything or experienced anything.

That wouldn't be so bad, but the combat is not particularly interesting either (on the highest difficulty). My tactical options are basically flanking with armor mode on or doing hit and run headshots with cloak, or just trying to avoid combat entirely. Everything's been so carefully designed to facilitate a specific set of multiple options in each set piece, and to wave these tactical options in your face (with the awful yellow overlays), that whatever I decide to do never feels like a good decision or a bad decision, but rather just a whim with no particular consequence. It reminds me of Deus Ex: Invisible War's design doctrine in that regard.

Nothing too surprising, considering what I knew going in, but it's still a shame.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the game. A solid shooter, but with its pedigree, it should have been better. Especially given the ambition and innovation of the original Crysis.

Incidentally, for you PC owners, here is my extra commands my system.cfg that I THINK has improved the graphics:

g_skipIntro = 1

i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel = 0

sys_maxfps = 120

sys_spec_texture = 3
sys_spec_postprocessing = 3
sys_spec_shading = 3
sys_spec_water = 3
sys_spec_particles = 3
sys_spec_objectdetail = 3
sys_spec_shadows = 3

r_MotionBlur = 0
r_DepthOfField = 1
r_Glow = 1
r_GlowAnamorphicFlares = 0
r_Reflections = 1

r_FSAA = 1
r_PostMSAA = 1
r_UseEdgeAA = 1
r_SSAO = 1
r_UsePOM = 1

r_TexMaxAnisotropy = 16

Pimpbaa

Necronomikon said:
So is it like this?:

I'm in the latter BTW but I still haven't got the chance to aquire the game so I can have my real and well fundamented opinion about it.

I am PC/console but I fit into none of those. I didn't think Crysis 1 was that great to begin with. The parts in the normal jungle fighting North Koreans was great, but once the frozen levels and aliens showed up, everything went to shit. Mostly everything gameplay wise is an improvement in Crysis 2 for me. The multiplayer even more so. Probably gonna get alot of flak for those comments lol.

samus4ever said:
One thing I have to add. I'm really digging the audio. I think it even tops Battlefield Bad Company 2. The sound the bullets make when it clanks on the metal is music to my ears. The soundtrack is also amazing. Plus, I love how it unlocks all the songs for you when you progress through the game.

I like the audio too but I don't think it holds a candle to BC2, particularly in gun sounds.

Nekrono

Necronomikon said:
So is it like this?:

Pretty much yeah, im also in the latter, and also like you I don't have the game yet but when i do i hope im in for a decent if not good SP campaign like most people here are claiming it to be.

Nekrono

EviLore said:
PC-only gamers? You'll really only see that among casual gamers, not hardcore.

I think by "PC-Only gamers" he meant the superior master race, and a lot of us have consoles too for those juicy exclusives :p

Nekrono said:

I don't think anyone* thinks it's a bad game. It's just good in a different sort of way... a way which is pretty different from the previous game. It's like Resident Evil 5, which wasn't a proper Resident Evil game by any measure, but was still the best co-op action game this gen. At least I hope this terrible analogy holds true.

*who is not insane like HardOCP

Pimpbaa

LaserBuddha said:
I like the audio too but I don't think it holds a candle to BC2, particularly in gun sounds.

I find the surround sound in BC2 to be lousy. Can't pinpoint sounds like I can in other games (blops and crysis 2 mp).

JoeBoy101 said:
This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the game. A solid shooter, but with its pedigree, it should have been better. Especially given the ambition and innovation of the original Crysis.

Incidentally, for you PC owners, here is my extra commands my system.cfg that I THINK has improved the graphics:

g_skipIntro = 1

i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel = 0

sys_maxfps = 120

sys_spec_texture = 3
sys_spec_shading = 3
sys_spec_water = 3
sys_spec_particles = 3
sys_spec_shadows = 3

r_MotionBlur = 0
r_DepthOfField = 1
r_Glow = 1
r_Reflections = 1

r_FSAA = 1
r_PostMSAA = 1
r_UseEdgeAA = 1
r_SSAO = 1
r_UsePOM = 1

r_TexMaxAnisotropy = 16

Are "GlowAnamorphicFlares" the huey lense flare effects?

george_us

The greatest thing about this game: Being in a shootout with a ton of guys while hiding in cover like a bitch only to realize that I can stealth and super jump any time I want. Feels like I need to 'unlearn' everything I've learned about FPSers over the years.

Nekrono

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I don't think anyone* thinks it's a bad game. It's just good in a different sort of way... a way which is pretty different from the previous game. It's like Resident Evil 5, which wasn't a proper Resident Evil game by any measure, but was still the best co-op action game this gen. At least I hope this terrible analogy holds true.

*who is not insane like HardOCP

I know what you mean, and I agree. Problem is that it's called Crysis 2 and was done by Crytek, so expectations were pretty high, we were hoping that it would carry on what the first game created.

RoboPlato said:
It's coming over the summer.
It is NOT, over the summer they are supposedly releasing the modder/indie version of CryEngine3 (which comes with Sandbox3) but there is no word at all on whether they will patch in Sandbox support for Crysis2, meaning they would have to release the *.cry versions of the levels for them to be editable.

EviLore said:
4 hours in now.

This is a game that is highly competent on all fronts, but never exciting, and designed with zero ambition. Crytek went into this desiring to funnel money into a successful, safe "AAA" game and nothing more. And that's fine for them to want to do from a business perspective, since they want to show off the potential of Cryengine 3 for development of typical sorts of games, much like Epic did with Gears of War, but it's very depressing as a fan of the original Crysis (and Far Cry before it).

Hiring Richard Morgan and Peter Watts has to be nothing more than a marketing bullet point, because so far the story amounts to "go here...now go here...now go here...oh shit! go here." There is no story, just a series of very, very thin excuses for traversing the environment from one enemy encounter to the next. I haven't done anything or experienced anything.

That wouldn't be so bad, but the combat is not particularly interesting either (on the highest difficulty). My tactical options are basically flanking with armor mode on or doing hit and run headshots with cloak, or just trying to avoid combat entirely. Everything's been so carefully designed to facilitate a specific set of multiple options in each set piece, and to wave these tactical options in your face (with the awful yellow overlays), that whatever I decide to do never feels like a good decision or a bad decision, but rather just a whim with no particular consequence. It reminds me of Deus Ex: Invisible War's design doctrine in that regard.

Nothing too surprising, considering what I knew going in, but it's still a shame.
I'm probably at the same point as you are in the game, and I feel the same way. The game is just okay for me. It's very pretty, though.

mxgt said:
Yeah, the AI is horrible. I also dislike how enemies can see you through certain objects. Sometimes I'll think I'm hidden well enough to let my suit recharge. I'll uncloak, and I'll find the enemy shooting in my direction even though there's a solid wall directly in front of them. Far Cry had this problem, too, I think? :mad:

You know I don't make insane angry ranting posts too often. So I think its time I left fire one off.

What the fuck crytek, the fuck. So I wanted to play the game for a few minutes but I can't. Started up a new game and I am in some shitty as cutscene. I am mashing space as hard as I can but nothing happens so I try to mash escape but that only brings up the menu. Why the fuck am I still stuck in that cutscene instead of playing?

Then I am forced into a stupid fucking tutorial on how to use binocs like I am a complete moron, getting the way of me being awesome and doing cool shit for a few more seconds. Then you don't even start of with all the suit modes available or weapons or anything what the hell man. What the fuck happened to Crysis? You got a gun a rifle and some amazing fucking suit powers in the first minute you were playing the game. None of this stupid tutorial bullshit, you started playing the game and right away it was you and a whole bunch of KPA not ready for the wrath of god that was about to fall on them.

Jtrizzy

see5harp said:
Not really. I had two open spots for launch day and didn't get one. They may have copies at certain shipping centers but if you are anywhere in CA, you aren't getting one.
Talking about gamefly? I got it today and I just re upped a week ago. Live in NC though.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Lostconfused said:
You know I don't make insane angry ranting posts too often. So I think its time I left fire one off.

What the fuck crytek, the fuck. So I wanted to play the game for a few minutes but I can't. Started up a new game and I am in some shitty as cutscene. I am mashing space as hard as I can but nothing happens so I try to mash escape but that only brings up the menu. Why the fuck am I still stuck in that cutscene instead of playing?

Then I am forced into a stupid fucking tutorial on how to use binocs like I am a complete moron, getting the way of me being awesome and doing cool shit for a few more seconds. Then you don't even start of with all the suit modes available or weapons or anything what the hell man. What the fuck happened to Crysis? You got a gun a rifle and some amazing fucking suit powers in the first minute you were playing the game. None of this stupid tutorial bullshit, you started playing the game and right away it was you and a whole bunch of KPA not ready for the wrath of god that was about to fall on them.

Don't blame the game, blame the... What the hell, lets all blame Crytek for this.

I'm with you man, I want to use cloak from the get go!

just installed it and the girlfriend decides to remind me we have to go eat dinner with her family. ugh... i guess i won't get to experience this game until late tonight. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I finished the game and I just wanted to chime in on the "oh how far are you into it, cause it really opens up later on" crowd. No it doesn't, the pacing just switches from corridor-arena-corridor-arena-setpiece over to corridor-SETPIECE-SETPIECE-arena-SETPIECE-corriSETPIECEdor-arena-SETPIECE.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
KingOfKong said:
just installed it and the girlfriend decides to remind me we have to go eat dinner with her family. ugh... i guess i won't get to experience this game until late tonight. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

You need to engage your cloak and sneak away.

mbmonk

This game just isn't that much fun to me. The gunplay was never the biggest strength of the Crysis series; it was acceptable but never top notch in terms of how the guns feel. The SMG is a prime example because it's particularly weak and not exciting to use.

In Cry1 if I didn't like the gun play I could hop into a vehicle (jeep or boat) and play around (now there seems to be very specific vehicle designated moments instead of sandboxes ). Not to mention you could play with the suits abilites ( Strength throw an object at someone, throw and exploding barrel at someone and shoot it, Grab someone by the throat and toss in the air ). You had all these other options besides straight "gun on gun" to steal a line from El Presador.

In Cry2 I am pretty much using straight up gun battles 95% of the time. So the fact that the gunplay isn't satisfying to me really stands out.

On a techical level graphics, sound, and general polish it's impressive. But the core gameplay has just been rather boring. I have tried the game on the next to highest difficulty and the very lowest difficulty and while the experience changes it doesn't change enough for me.

I am still fairly far away from finishing the game, but I almost am having to push myself to go back to it because I spent the cash on it.

JoeBoy101 said:

g_skipIntro = 1

i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel = 0

sys_maxfps = 120

sys_spec_texture = 3
sys_spec_shading = 3
sys_spec_water = 3
sys_spec_particles = 3
sys_spec_shadows = 3

r_MotionBlur = 0
r_DepthOfField = 1
r_Glow = 1
r_Reflections = 1

r_FSAA = 1
r_PostMSAA = 1
r_UseEdgeAA = 1
r_SSAO = 1
r_UsePOM = 1

r_TexMaxAnisotropy = 16

How do I input the config changes?

EviLore said:
4 hours in now.

This is a game that is highly competent on all fronts, but never exciting, and designed with zero ambition. ......

This completely opposite what reviewers are saying, tighter & better gameplay/combat all around from Crysis 1. I haven't the full game yet, but from what I seen, I have to agree. Crysis 1 was a nice sandbox to mess around with stuff, but the fundamentals were fairly weak. The sequel seems to heavily improve on this

There is no story, just a series of very, very thin excuses for traversing the environment from one enemy encounter to the next. I haven't done anything or experienced anything.
That wouldn't be so bad, but the combat is not particularly interesting either

As long as traversing the environment is actually well designed, then I'm sold as it's the most important part for me :)
The A.I. sucked in Crysis, so I don't expect a huge things from it in the sequel.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I NEED SCISSORS said:
From my experience, the game feels a lot like splinter cell if it were a shooter. You take corridors to larger areas where there are designed encounters with a few options through.

It doesn't feel as open as Crysis, but it's fun.

Crysis 1 was a nice sandbox to mess around with stuff, but the fundamentals were fairly weak

Fundamentals? Like AI?

jackdoe

Y2Kev said:
From my experience, the game feels a lot like splinter cell if it were a shooter. You take corridors to larger areas where there are designed encounters with a few options through.
Splinter Cell became a shooter with Conviction. And I agree. A large variety of the segments felt kind of like Conviction.

Top Bottom