• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

TheExodu5

Banned
I think if this were to be called Call of Duty: Future Warfare, I might like it more...

The disappointment coming from Crysis 1 is starting to set in.

george_us

I think my biggest complaint with the game is the gunplay. It feels a bit...sluggish I guess? Just off in some way. I love the physics and stuff but I wish it came into play a bit more then what it already does.

nyong

Banned
I gave in and picked it up for Steam. My downloads are capped at 250k, though...so I won't finish until super-late tonight. Anyone know how to speed this garbage up? I've tried deleting the blob file and changing servers without success. I can download up to 3MB/sec from other sites....

mbmonk

When do you gentlemen kick cars? The only time I think it would be useful is if the guy was on the other side of the car and you kicked it on top of him. Any suggestions?

scitek said:
Hold down the fire button while you're holding them to charge up your throw.

Yep. I am doing that. Thank you though. It just doesn't throw objects near the distance or velocity so it's of lesser use than in Cry1.

Mrbob

nyong said:
I gave in and picked it up for Steam. My downloads are capped at 250k, though...so I won't finish until super-late tonight. Anyone know how to speed this garbage up? I've tried deleting the blob file and changing servers without success. I can download up to 3MB/sec from other sites....

Try to change servers.

Pimpbaa

Foliorum Viridum said:
Fuck this thread is confusing me. I just need to play this game already.

Most people were set on hating it before they even played it (about as soon as they learned that the game would be on consoles). Yes the game has smaller levels, but you can still approach groups of enemies like you could in the first game. The only difference is your not running or driving through a whole lot of nothing between battles. How the suit powers work in this game are much better, the gunplay is better, the AI is slightly better, the multiplayer is considerably better, the sound is better, and the graphics are better on your average current PC.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Most people were set on hating it before they even played it (about as soon as they learned that the game would be on consoles). Yes the game has smaller levels, but you can still approach groups of enemies like you could in the first game. The only difference is your not running or driving through a whole lot of nothing between battles. How the suit powers work in this game are much better, the gunplay is better, the AI is slightly better, the multiplayer is considerably better, the sound is better, and the graphics are better on your average current PC.

No.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
~Kinggi~ said:
I think these people are crazy. Game has been incredible for me. Jaded motherfuckas up in this bitch!
Yep, I'm the biggest fan of the original around and I had an absolute blast with this, warts and all.

Gaf will be Gaf.

Pimpbaa said:
you can still approach groups of enemies like you could in the first game.
In what part of the game can you pass so far away from a group of enemies that you would never run into them or even know that they were there?

Pimpbaa

luka said:
Yep, I'm the biggest fan of the original around and I had an absolute blast with this, warts and all.

Gaf will be Gaf.

A whole lot of people doing this
UeUug.png
rather than playing the game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Uh, yes? You were never fighting constantly in the game. It was going from one enemy base or outpost to the next.

That's not the only difference though. Fights and tactics were very, very different in the original Crysis if you wanted them to be. There were a lot more options available to you, primarily involving misdirection. Of course, that all went out the window for the second half of the game, but the point stands.

Pimpbaa said:
Uh, yes? You were never fighting constantly in the game. It was going from one enemy base or outpost to the next.
But those moments were awesome. The calm between the storms. Looking for the best approach to the next enemy outpost. Swim? Drive? Sneak through the foliage?

That element being gone in this game will make me very sad.

Pimpbaa

Lostconfused said:
In what part of the game can you pass so far away from a group of enemies that you would never run into them or even know that they were there?

How is that a good thing?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Lostconfused said:

Those were secondary objectives, then. It's much better to actively sneak through an entire encounter and have them know you were never there.

Pimpbaa said:

I think people forget this is what Crysis was for the most part.

-GOUKI-

Just played it for an hour. I don't know why but the combat feels really boring. The gunplay kinda feels static compared to the first and its not even because of the size of the maps. Can't pinpoint it.

Pimpbaa said:
I feel pretty much the same way about 3-4 hours into the campaign and 40+ hours in the MP (demo mostly).

If Crytek created a poll tomorrow and said vote on what crysis 3 will be more similar to - crysis 1 or crysis 2. I'd vote 2 in a heartbeat.

Crysis 1 was amazing - but I never felt satisfied with gameplay, I found I had to create my own fun. And much like Crackdown and the like - I find the 'make your own fun' games enjoyable only when playing with friends. As a SP experience - it was decent. Crysis 2 is keeping me interested via set pieces and a little more hand holding - I'm cool with that. I probably wouldn't enjoy Halo SP so much if it just dropped me in a level without leading from set piece to set piece.

I'm just glad that after lifting so much from COD in terms of MP - the SP is awesome and not the lifeless husk that is COD campaigns.

Pimpbaa

Foliorum Viridum said:
But those moments were awesome. The calm between the storms. Looking for the best approach to the next enemy outpost. Swim? Drive? Sneak through the foliage?

You are still doing basically the same thing. Looking at a group of enemies and figure out how you are going to attack them. Sneak through the area and stealth kill, take them out from afar, going in rambo style.

mbmonk said:
When do you gentlemen kick cars? The only time I think it would be useful is if the guy was on the other side of the car and you kicked it on top of him. Any suggestions?

Yep. I am doing that. Thank you though. It just doesn't throw objects near the distance or velocity so it's of lesser use than in Cry1.
well, i've snuck up on guys hiding behind cars and kicked them into the guys.

i've kicked cars near to walls and ledges you can't normally reach to make my own shortcuts.

i even kicked a car off a roof onto an apc and then blew them both up.

don't forget you can strap C4 to stuff, so strap C4 to cars, then kick the car, and then detonate it. that's fun.

i did spend an entire MP match kicking a car around trying to kill someone with it. that was not so successful. the funny thing is i got the pacificist award as a result for not firing a round. my dog tag now has flowers on it.

i will use that tag forever!

Stitch

Gold Member
i was fighting all the time in crysis. kpa patrols are all over the island. not just in camps. there are sooo many little troops in the woods, it's really amazing.

Finally.

I restart my PC, steam kicks up with a 1.5 gig patch to the game. FINALLY I can play the game with the movies and *drumroll* character models.

Still can't log in with my MyCrysis login. Not sure what the hell is going on there, I'd much prefer to have my stats tracked and be able to play some MP.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Foliorum Viridum said:

You still get that, just not on as big of a scale. Like, you come up on a rooftop overlooking a street you have to cross and there are a bunch of enemies. I still stealth, look around, tag dudes, think of a plan and have that "Ok, here we go" moment. The game is still very much Crysis.

Weenerz said:
How bout a linear box of sand?
4401running_hourglass.jpg

Anyway, I'm on the second chapter now. Kinda disappointed you can't skip cutscenes. Also disappointed somewhat at the lack of quicksave, yet it, plus dying within a few seconds of being shot at kills, forces me to be more careful in the middle of a battlefield.

Also, as antithesis to the above image, I find neat little side-areas, such as sewers I can use to bypass soldiers.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
plagiarize said:

i've kicked cars near to walls and ledges you can't normally reach to make my own shortcuts.

don't forget you can strap C4 to stuff, so strap C4 to cars, then kick the car, and then detonate it. that's fun.

i did spend an entire MP match kicking a car around trying to kill someone with it. that was not so successful. the funny thing is i got the pacificist award as a result for not firing a round. my dog tag now has flowers on it.

Can you strap C4 to dudes, pick the dudes up, and throw them into other dudes?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SapientWolf said:

I have C4 now, will try this. I'm pretty sure you can, considering you can strap it onto other things.

Yikes. Evilore's impressions turned me off, and just the mention of the awful Splinter Cell Conviction has turned this from a must buy to a wait until Steam holiday sale.

It's really disappointing. To this day my favorite FPS gameplay is the first 6 levels of Crysis. Sandbox gameplay where your goal can be approached from 360° (yet I believe theres still some imperceptible corridoring) with tactical options. To this day my most enjoyable playthrough was on delta where I stealthed through the jungle avoiding some fully designed enemy encampments. My most memorable FPS setpiece to this day is level 2 where you rescue the female hostage in the video. My first playthrough I went guns blazing through across the front bridge. Second playthrough I approached by boat on the beach and ran to the building. And the delta playthrough I stealthed to the right of the bridge and crossed the waterfall, entering from the back of the camp and entered the building undetected.

Warhead started down the CoD path (or maybe more like Half-Life with the small side paths but without the puzzles). I realize Warhead was more polished and streamlined, but it got rid of everything that made the series special and unique - sounds like Crysis 2 is even worse.

If it's not obvious I really love Crysis 1 (enough to ignore possibly the worst story and characters of all bro games :p, worst is I really think none of it is the developers being tongue and cheek), and I'm not one to get angry or feel entitled, so Ill play it when it's reasonably priced. It's just sad to me that the most "next generation" FPS gameplay (only I feel are debatable is Stalker and Far Cry 2, but Stalker has it's general jank and only decent gunplay and FC2 has it's share of bad design decisions) is from 2007 and is not going to be continued. It's not as bad but reminds me of Deus Ex.

How About No said:
snip

Anyway, I'm on the second chapter now. Kinda disappointed you can't skip cutscenes. Also disappointed somewhat at the lack of quicksave, yet it, plus dying within a few seconds of being shot at kills, forces me to be more careful in the middle of a battlefield.

Also, as antithesis to the above image, I find neat little side-areas, such as sewers I can use to bypass soldiers.
the checkpoint system like it does in halo encourages me to goof off and try different tactics after each failed attempt. there have been times where i've just come up with the worst possible plan on purpose... like i'll leap off this roof and land down in the middle of those three guys and use my shield and spin around and drop them all and then charge that apc throwing grenades at it.

then actually pulling something like that off... which i'll be honest doesn't happen much but when it does it makes me feel like an uber badass which to me is kind of what Crysis is about.

i do miss hurling people into the sky and having them land on destructable roof tops and plummet through them. i do miss lots of things from the original Crysis... but i do find that Crysis 2 offers other pleasures.

and Wolf, no i don't believe you can strap C4 to dudes, though i haven't tried.

Lostconfused said:
You know I don't make insane angry ranting posts too often. So I think its time I left fire one off.

What the fuck crytek, the fuck. So I wanted to play the game for a few minutes but I can't. Started up a new game and I am in some shitty as cutscene. I am mashing space as hard as I can but nothing happens so I try to mash escape but that only brings up the menu. Why the fuck am I still stuck in that cutscene instead of playing?

Then I am forced into a stupid fucking tutorial on how to use binocs like I am a complete moron, getting the way of me being awesome and doing cool shit for a few more seconds. Then you don't even start of with all the suit modes available or weapons or anything what the hell man. What the fuck happened to Crysis? You got a gun a rifle and some amazing fucking suit powers in the first minute you were playing the game. None of this stupid tutorial bullshit, you started playing the game and right away it was you and a whole bunch of KPA not ready for the wrath of god that was about to fall on them.
Let me get this straight, you were feverishly clicking space and enter to skip the intro? Really? You couldn't have just watched it? I understand some people don't like cut scenes but it was really well done and like 2 minutes long. Do you do this with every game? Do you care about story and setup at all in games?

And you had both cloak and armor mode within an hour of playing, not even. Is it so wrong for them to spend a half hour explaining those modes for the PS3/360 users? It's like a 10-12 hour game. You had to wait about 10 minutes to use cloak... come on man. You're flipping out with F bombs left and right over that? This is gross overreaction.

I <3 Memes said:
Same. I was going to give my impressions after playing it tonight but I'm not sur ethe thread needs more of that. It's not a bad game and I will definitely buy it when it drops down to a normal price for PC games, but the gameplay is just so boring and average now. It's gone from maximum gameplay to meh gameplay.

I can see how people who are primarily console gamers who never had a chance to play Crysis 1 might not understand how disappointing this is. Just go back a few pages and ctrl+f for nanosuit ninja and watch his videos. You had the choice in C1 to play stealth, combat, or go completely fuckin nuts like he does in his videos. Now it's just some very light stealth situations and almost entirely forced combat. And it is plodding and slow combat at that. What happened to the speed of the game? Sprinting is sooo slow now. Why slow it down and make it so clunky? The overall production of the game is top notch and the presentation blows C1 away, but the gameplay is just so boring.
This is CRAZY! I hope I'm reading your post wrong, Memes, and if I am I apologize, but you haven't even played the game and have completely made up your mind? Read the bolded... he doesn't have the game. Jesus christ... I hope I'm reading that wrong.

Pimpbaa said:
I am PC/console but I fit into none of those. I didn't think Crysis 1 was that great to begin with. The parts in the normal jungle fighting North Koreans was great, but once the frozen levels and aliens showed up, everything went to shit. Mostly everything gameplay wise is an improvement in Crysis 2 for me. The multiplayer even more so. Probably gonna get alot of flak for those comments lol.
No no no, the last 5 chapters of Crysis 1 don't exist. Only the first 6 count.

Pimpbaa said:
Best post in the thread right there.

The setting might be smaller (let's be real, it's the most dense metropolitan city in the world versus a tropical island with beaches and jungles) but the core gameplay is the same, and even improved in certain aspects. The only downside is the lack of free roam areas with vehicles, but again it's in NYC... what could they have done here? We've had two games in the tropical setting already. The change was welcome in my eyes.

The core gameplay; the armor/cloak mode and open-ended engagements are no different than Crysis 1. I just replayed the game over the past 3 weeks; it's 100% fresh in my mind.

TheExodu5 said:
That's not the only difference though. Fights and tactics were very, very different in the original Crysis if you wanted them to be. There were a lot more options available to you, primarily involving misdirection. Of course, that all went out the window for the second half of the game, but the point stands.
Care to cite some examples (about the first half)? C1 is fresh in my mind.

Heavy said:
Let me get this straight, you were feverishly clicking space and enter to skip the intro? Really? You couldn't have just watched it? I understand some people don't like cut scenes but it was really well done and like 2 minutes long. Do you do this with every game? Do you care about story and setup at all in games?

And you had both cloak and armor mode within an hour of playing, not even. Is it so wrong for them to spend a half hour explaining those modes for the PS3/360 users? It's like a 10-12 hour game. You had to wait about 10 minutes to use cloak... come on man. You're flipping out with F bombs left and right over that? This is gross overreaction.
I already stated in the first sentence of the post that irrational hate and anger was the entire point.

But to answer your questions. Yes I couldn't wait two minutes, thirty seconds at most and that's only for the loading screen and the transitions between cutscene and gameplay. Nope I couldn't give a damn about the story or anything in the game, I wanted to play it. As I stated I wanted to fire up the game and be able to play it. Like Crysis, where the only part you couldn't skip off was the parachuting scene.

luka said:

Gaf will be Gaf.
I'm a MASSIVE fan of the first and agree with you.

I also kind of find it weird that prospective buyers are taking EvilLore's opinion like gospel and basically ignoring everyone else. I understand he owns the site and is smart and most likely incredibly attractive (joking I'm not gay, not there's nothing wrong with that), but the value of his opinion should be no more than the plethora of people saying how great the game is, including ones who loved the original. Does anyone agree?

Lostconfused said:
I already stated in the first sentence of the post that irrational hate and anger was the entire point.

But to answer your questions. Yes I couldn't wait two minutes, thirty seconds at most and that's only for the loading screen and the transitions between cutscene and gameplay. Nope I couldn't give a damn about the story or anything in the game, I wanted to play it. As I stated I wanted to fire up the game and be able to play it. Like Crysis, where the only part you couldn't skip off was the parachuting scene.
Fair enough. For me story and setup are important so the few minutes there was all gravy.

Massa

videotape said:
Yikes. Evilore's impressions turned me off, and just the mention of the awful Splinter Cell Conviction has turned this from a must buy to a wait until Steam holiday sale.

His impressions only cover to the first 4 hours of the game. In fact, the only review I read for Crysis 2 (Gamespot) says the first third of the game is slow and boring, and then it gets a lot more exciting for the final two thirds, gameplay and story-wise.

I'm convinced anyway, but my copy will only get here in 3-4 weeks. :(

Heavy said:

I also kind of find it weird that prospective buyers are taking EvilLore's opinion like gospel and basically ignoring everyone else. I understand he owns the site and is smart and most likely incredibly attractive (joking I'm not gay, not there's nothing wrong with that), but the value of his opinion should be no more than the plethora of people saying how great the game is, including ones who loved the original. Does anyone agree?

Agreed.

Play it for yourself.

For instance, I don't play much "sandbox" style games, so that's a bit lost on me as a reference bias.

I really hope a couple of things get patched soon. I have to play this in windowed mode in order to stop the flickering (I've read its a crossfire thing).

Also, I can't fucking play anything multiplayer because my "serial code is in use".

Heavy said:

Nothing to do with his power on my part, merely he has high standards when it comes to PC games and doesn't bullshit.

Not meaning to come off as a bit of a dick, but you seem to defend this game way too much. We get it, you like Crysis and Crysis 2.

Heavy said:
This is CRAZY! I hope I'm reading your post wrong, Memes, and if I am I apologize, but you haven't even played the game and have completely made up your mind? Read the bolded... he doesn't have the game. Jesus christ... I hope I'm reading that wrong.

Relax man. I played about 5 or 6 hours of the game at a friends house today. I started at the part
where the alien ship has crashed and Gould wants you to get a sample and played through to the section on the bridge

Edit: Btw the nonosuit guy saying Goulds name sounds ridiculous. It sounds like he is choking on the name.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SapientWolf said:

Just confirmed human bombage.

edit: also, a long charge will throw the shit out of a person

Heavy said:

Fair enough. For me story and setup are important so the few minutes there was all gravy.
Evilores opinion carries alot of weight because he understood what made Crysis 1 great - and was reasonably level headed about Crysis 2 even during the shit storm that was the PC demo. I don't agree with his evaluation of C2 - but I can understand why many fans of the original will ignore the C2 fans and listen to Evilore Moreso.

mbmonk

plagiarize said:

FLOWER POWER!!

Thanks. I just got the C4 recently in the SP so I will start to use it as a tool as you suggested.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips. It's helping out the fun factor :)

TheExodu5

Banned
Heavy said:

It has nothing to do with his admin status, and everything to do with how many people here have come to respect his opinion and impressions as a PC gamer. There are a few other posters I trust for proper impressions and reviews on PC games. While other people's impressions are very well appreciated, they don't quite carry the same weight...at least not until I identify with their tastes and get an idea of how they relate to my own.

Heavy said:
Care to cite some examples (about the first half)? C1 is fresh in my mind.

Sure why not. Besides giving freedom you also had to deal with random patrols in the game that you could or could not encounter. Suit powers were in essence weaker in C1 making for a much more interesting game experience because mainly energy was not as plentiful nor as fast of recharge. In C2 you can easily just crouch stealth through majority of the encounters because of the crazy amount of energy you have. Enemy AI in C2 makes C1 AI look like rocket scientists, and the C1 AI at least were not fooled as easily by stealth. You had to keep to the shadows and foilage in stealth to get proper stealth, but in C2 you can pretty much in broad daylight waltz past enemies who will look your direction and not notice you.

The new armor mode also makes combat so easy, in C1 you couldn't take more than a couple hits before death, but armor mode in C2 really makes encounters a breeze. You can just turn it on and walk into an area and unload. Ammo is extremely plentiful in C2, besides enemy pick ups like in C1, you have ammo dumps every couple feet it seems, I've yet to feel the need to conserve ammo. In C1 the wide open jungle often made it costly to waste ammo and you wanted to conserve which promoted more gameplay variety. In C2 really you can stealth through majority of the game easily or just rambo easily too.

Vehicles were fun, and they took out that fun in C2, as well as the amount of destructibility though the city setting, it makes sense that you can't destroy stuff as easily. Theres alot of little things that also set the game apart.

But really it's not all bad, lot of the new design choices in C2 are excellent and in many ways the suit powers are better integrated into the game. 2nd half of C1 was often seen as the crappy part, and getting a whole game of that is bugging many people. C1 was a long game like this one, but it at least had lot more gameplay variety and a hell of a first half which itself is longer than majority of fps on the market. I don't hate C2 at all, I'm enjoying it myself, but there are issues and do wish it had more of the originals feel in parts to mix things up.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Heavy said:
It certainly does suck on replays though. :p

TheExodu5

Banned
The cutscenes suck and I would definitely much rather skip them. It's the same old boring stuff we see in 90% of shooters. I've been watching them, and I still can't make any sense of the story whatsoever.

Pimpbaa

Ahh fuck, big bug in single player. You lose nano catalyst every time you quit and resume the game. I have 0 when I should have a lot more.

Jin

Has anyone experience a bug where your Nano catalyst points disappear when you exit and restart game? Everytime I play it's zero. Apparently someone on the Steam forum is having the same problem. This is the PC version.

Edit: Beaten. How could this bug not be caught by QA?

The quickest generalisation that comes to mind to describe Crysis 2 would be if Call of Duty and Crysis had a bastard lovechild. It's not exactly a corridor crawler like your standard CoD clone but it definitely lacks the scope and freedom of the first Crysis. There's so much hand-holding and so many scripted moments for the first half-hour, actual player interaction feels like an afterthought. FMV cinematic (hello 1995, how are you), on-rails style Cod guided "gameplay" moment, more cinematics, another guided gameplay moment, more cinematics...oh, what's this, I finally get to play? Oh, except now the suit is verbally and visually telling me where to go because I'm dawdling poking about too much.

From a gameplay and design perspective, Crysis 2 feels kind of antithetical to Crysis and Warhead. People can argue about the scripted more linear moments in those games and they may raise some valid points but its doubtful that Crysis 2 will ever reach as grand a scope or have as great a freedom with its environments and gameplay as Crysis and Warhead did.

Crysis 2 may be good, or even great, at what it's doing with its single player, but it's going to be hard to divorce from its predecessors.

Top Bottom