• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Foliorum Viridum said:
Nothing to do with his power on my part, merely he has high standards when it comes to PC games and doesn't bullshit.

Not meaning to come off as a bit of a dick, but you seem to defend this game way too much. We get it, you like Crysis and Crysis 2.
There are others in the thread who have just as high standards. Stallion Free was negative towards the game pre-release... read his posts now. There are lots of others in the thread who think the game's awesome. People should play it for themselves rather than relying on one person's opinion.

I will post less. Sorry for shitting up the thread. Like 90% of my total posts are in the various Crysis 2 threads... it's kind of pathetic, I agree.

I <3 Memes said:
Relax man. I played about 5 or 6 hours of the game at a friends house today.
Sorry about that, Memes.

TheExodu5 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZS0JIGUKoo

In Crysis 2, enemies just tend to sit in one location mostly. I would shoot from behind a truck and then stealth towards them. I hear from one "Move out!", and they just stay where they are. There's no flanking, no cornering...it all feels very simple.
That vid was cool and you're right about them moving around more. The humans in C2 just stand there for the most part, but the aliens definitely have better AI.

TheExodu5 said:
It has nothing to do with his admin status, and everything to do with how many people here have come to respect his opinion and impressions as a PC gamer. There are a few other posters I trust for proper impressions and reviews on PC games. While other people's impressions are very well appreciated, they don't quite carry the same weight...at least not until I identify with their tastes and get an idea of how they relate to my own.
Fair enough. I just started posting here a month ago. I registered last year but honestly I don't know that many of the personalities and tastes yet, if any.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Pimpbaa said:
Ahh fuck, big bug in single player. You lose nanocrystals every time you quit and resume the game. I have 0 when I should have a lot more.
I got that too. Also when I started killing aliens on my replay nothing I was picking up was added to my total. I still had one last power to buy. :<

Just got the PC version today played about 2 hours worth, thankfully haven't noticed any bugs yet, except for the fact I still can't log in using "mycrysis" details only the Demo login I made works >.<
And the demo account doesn't work with "mycrysis" so is there anyway I can change the password for this account?, or am I just stuck with this demo account that works but don't really have any control over.

Game looks beautiful though, even on an old rig like mine still get a decent framerate.

Last post for a while, promise. lol. He spent time making a long post and I'd feel bad if I didn't reply and ignored it.

BattleMonkey said:
Suit powers were in essence weaker in C1 making for a much more interesting game experience because mainly energy was not as plentiful nor as fast of recharge.
You're right about the suit powers. The recharge is definitely more generous, but the game at its core is all about the Nanosuit so I don't see the problem with this?

Enemy AI in C2 makes C1 AI look like rocket scientists, and the C1 AI at least were not fooled as easily by stealth. You had to keep to the shadows and foilage in stealth to get proper stealth, but in C2 you can pretty much in broad daylight waltz past enemies who will look your direction and not notice you.

This is false. You can walk right up to the Koreans in Crysis 1 while stealthed till you're a few feet away, which is when they notice you. You don't have to hide behind foliage and the shadows or anything like you described.

The new armor mode also makes combat so easy, in C1 you couldn't take more than a couple hits before death, but armor mode in C2 really makes encounters a breeze. You can just turn it on and walk into an area and unload.
This is incorrect, too. What difficulty are you playing on? If you have armor mode active on Veteran or Post-Human and walk into an area like that you'll be mowed down in seconds.

Ammo is extremely plentiful in C2, besides enemy pick ups like in C1, you have ammo dumps every couple feet it seems, I've yet to feel the need to conserve ammo. In C1 the wide open jungle often made it costly to waste ammo and you wanted to conserve which promoted more gameplay variety.
You're right about the abundant ammo. That was a disappointing change and definitely has the console stench all over it.

But really it's not all bad, lot of the new design choices in C2 are excellent and in many ways the suit powers are better integrated into the game.
The suit powers are integrated better, definitely. It's much smoother swapping powers and pulling off complex moves.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Heavy said:
People should play it for themselves rather than relying on one person's opinion.

You've posted in this thread more than anyone else has, by far, and it seems to me that you're trying to do some convincing, so it's a little disingenuous to dismiss someone else's opinion in that way.

kamspy

My favorite part about Crysis was the ballistics. They are in Crysis 2 unscathed. I also feel like I have the same amount of options per encounter as I did in Crysis and WH.

The aliens are much better to fight in Crysis 2. They remind of Elite in Halo. Beats the hell out of flying squid.

I came within a mouse click of canceling my preorder, and I'm really happy I didn't. I'm loving the game. The only thing that really really bugs me is all the prompts. I hope someone finds a way to remove them. Game would be perfect then.

Dizzle24

PS3 version here.

I have been experiencing a glitch where during a cutscene when Alcatraz isn't holding a weapon up, the scene ends and my weapon doesn't appear, so I can't shoot or interact with anything.

Happened on 3 seperate occassions and I am only about 2 or 3 chapters in I think.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I just got thru
the church
section on PC. The game's starting to grow on me a lot more. The graphics aren't as impressive as the original, but it runs a hell of a lot smoother on my PC. I put in the PS3 version earlier today just for comparison again. It makes a world of difference playing on PC imo. Going back to the PS3 version looks like a blurry mess, but if that's all you have I'm happy people are able experience it.

I've encountered some bugs as well, particularly the one where you can't melee attack. There's also been numerous times when I've jumped on the back of a humvee and it won't let me use the M60. Anyone else experience this? There was also a section of the game where I was unarmed and able to grab people by the neck and throw them like in the first two games. I hit the "Y" button - playing w/the 360 controller - and once I armed a gun, it wouldn't let me do it again. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, can you tell me how to grab people like in the first two?

All in all, the game is picking up picking up for me. It's still not as fun as the original or Warhead, but I'm enjoying it none the less. One area I have to say it improves on over the first two is the vividness in color. I like what they've done with it. I also like sliding.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
BattleMonkey said:
Enemy AI in C2 makes C1 AI look like rocket scientists, and the C1 AI at least were not fooled as easily by stealth. You had to keep to the shadows and foilage in stealth to get proper stealth,

I don't disagree with your other points but this is horseshit. The AI in Crysis was horrendous. I can't count the amount of times 5 or 6 guys would sit in a semicircle on the other side of whatever rock or crate I was hiding behind and just stand there fondling their nuts.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
kamspy said:
My favorite part about Crysis was the ballistics. They are in Crysis 2 unscathed. I also feel like I have the same amount of options per encounter as I did in Crysis and WH.

The aliens are much better to fight in Crysis 2. They remind of Elite in Halo. Beats the hell out of flying squid.

I came within a mouse click of canceling my preorder, and I'm really happy I didn't. I'm loving the game. The only thing that really really bugs me is all the prompts. I hope someone finds a way to remove them. Game would be perfect then.
See, I loved sneaking up on the flying blue squids, grabbing em and chunking em into a group just before they exploded. I really hate that they took the grab away. It was one of the best features of the original. I like the stealth kills, but grabbing was so much more fun.

Jenga

Banned
Sinatar said:
I don't disagree with your other points but this is horseshit. The AI in Crysis was horrendous. I can't count the amount of times 5 or 6 guys would sit in a semicircle on the other side of whatever rock or crate I was hiding behind and just stand there fondling their nuts.
circle jerking was an exclusive feature of crysis

I like:
Solid controls, auto aim works like COD which is a compliment.
Love the sprint slide.
Love that you're not a God, even with armor on.
Graphics. Just wow.
Tactical gameplay seems approachable from many angles.

Don't like:
By the nose story sections, by rule any time I'm in first person I expect to be in control, not an AI.
Can't switch to R2 for guns, never have liked R1 for shooting.
Inability to move crouch off the O button / generally just a lack of controller layout options.
STOP ASKING ME IF I WANT TO UPDATE TO THE LATEST VERSION.
I mean holy crap it literally interrupts me in the middle of the game over and over and over asking me to do so. Seriously wtf?

Overall I really like it so far.

Dizzle24 said:
PS3 version here.

I have been experiencing a glitch where during a cutscene when Alcatraz isn't holding a weapon up, the scene ends and my weapon doesn't appear, so I can't shoot or interact with anything.

Happened on 3 seperate occassions and I am only about 2 or 3 chapters in I think.
Try pressing Triangle when that happens. Always works for me, but I have the 360 version, so it may be different.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
MadOdorMachine said:
See, I loved sneaking up on the flying blue squids, grabbing em and chunking em into a group just before they exploded. I really hate that they took the grab away. It was one of the best features of the original. I like the stealth kills, but grabbing was so much more fun.

I just stuck C4 on a guy, grabbed him and threw him like 20 yards into his buddies while exploding him for good measure.

EviLore said:
You've posted in this thread more than anyone else has, by far, and it seems to me that you're trying to do some convincing, so it's a little disingenuous to dismiss someone else's opinion in that way.
Yeah, I wasn't speaking in the first person there, which is why I mentioned Stallion and not myself. I would take my own opinions about the game with a heavy (pun intended lol) grain of salt because of my admitted bias towards the series and developer. I still enjoyed sharing them and think they hold some sort of value, but I know I come off overbearing and defensive towards criticism about the game and that's my bad.

kamspy

So how does PC GAF feel about the TAA? I think it's great. The only time I get ghosting is through the ACOG scope, but damn, not a single jaggy.

So has anyone confirmed that it's built into the engine? ie: other forms of AA won't even by a possibility on CE3

If I had an uber computer I might be upset, since proper 8xMSAA would have the same effect sans the minor ghosting. But I'm running a 275 that I'm hoping to stretch as long as I can. I can only pray that Skyrim and BF3 run this well. If so I won't need to buy a new card this year.

mbmonk

Heavy said:
There are others in the thread who have just as high standards. Stallion Free was negative towards the game pre-release... read his posts now. There are lots of others in the thread who think the game's awesome. People should play it for themselves rather than relying on one person's opinion.

"High standards" does not equate to "same or similar tastes". If the individual in question tends to agree with Evil in terms of taste more than Stallion it doesn't mean Stallion lacks "high standards".

I think the only way for a person to play SP for themselves is to pay $60. That isn't a trivial amount of cash. Reserving full judgement, I currently want my money back :p.

Anyone else here running a 5970?

I'm having performance issues and flickering problems :(

It seems that Crossfire isn't properly supported at the moment.

How f'n lame!! I'm getting sub 30fps at 1920x1080 :( :( :(

TheExodu5

Banned
kamspy said:
So how does PC GAF feel about the TAA? I think it's great. The only time I get ghosting is through the ACOG scope, but damn, not a single jaggy.

I don't notice the ghosting it produces since I'm gaming on an LCD TV anyways. IQ wise, it's a little blurry, but ends up making the overall picture look a lot better than the original Crysis since it's a lot friendlier when it comes to foliage.

Still, I would much prefer if it were an option. Let me turn it on and off. Let me use MSAA if I want instead.

kamspy

TheExodu5 said:
I don't notice the ghosting it produces since I'm gaming on an LCD TV anyways. IQ wise, it's a little blurry, but ends up making the overall picture look a lot better than the original Crysis since it's a lot friendlier when it comes to foliage.

Still, I would much prefer if it were an option. Let me turn it on and off. Let me use MSAA if I want instead.

I'm always for more options. I'm just really impressed with the implementation. The 99% complete lack of jaggies is surreal.

I'm honestly more excited to play this game than I was for the first, but I think I'm going to hold off.
The glitches people are mentioning in forums & in reviews are starting to stack up, don't really want the experienced ruined like by so many new buggy games I bought.
I'm guessing there won't be a major update until 2-3 months from now :/

luka

Loves Robotech S1
MadOdorMachine said:
But...you can still do that. :p
Melee(V) is stealth kill, use(F) is grab.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Tylahedras said:
Can't switch to R2 for guns, never have liked R1 for shooting.

oh wow I'm actually surprised they have R1 for shooting (which I personally prefer), normally in ports you are forced to use the triggers as that is the default configuration for the 360 controller, but I agree that they should let you choose it's ridiculous.

Dreohboy

Sinatar said:

Agreed. Saying the AI in the original Crysis was much better (if at all) is a huge stretch. Maybe they flanked better, but I didn't notice anything special compared to the hour and a half I've put into Crysis 2.

Let's hope the AI routines in the PC version of Crysis 2 can be patched/modded.

FINALBOSS

Banned
lowrider007 said:
oh wow I'm actually surprised they have R1 for shooting (which I personally prefer), normally in ports you are forced to use the triggers as that is the default configuration for the 360 controller, but I agree that they should let you choose it's ridiculous.

I RARELY see that.

mjc

Something just feels off about the MP, it's probably the latency. There are times where I get the jump in a firefight with a guy and he'll come out on top for some reason. I pump near a full clip into him and he still kills me. And the spawns are mostly fucked too.

strata8

Dreohboy said:
Agreed. Saying the AI in the original Crysis was much better (if at all) is a huge stretch. Maybe they flanked better, but I didn't notice anything special compared to the hour and a half I've put into Crysis 2.

Let's hope the AI routines in the PC version of Crysis 2 can be patched/modded.
I run Crysis 1 in Warhead's engine (which includes the AI routines from Warhead), and wow, just wow. They were actually scary at times.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game has really grabbed me like no other FPS has in a while. I highly, highly recommend it to anyone that likes shooters. I mentioned it before but, PS3 players, set your PS3 to 720p output for this game. It looks and runs a lot smoother that way.

mjc said:
Something just feels off about the MP, it's probably the latency. There are times where I get the jump in a firefight with a guy and he'll come out on top for some reason. I pump near a full clip into him and he still kills me. And the spawns are mostly fucked too.
Yup, dunno if its net code or bullet detection but shit is horrible and makes the MP unplayable

Big fan of the SP so far, only two real complaints are that 'Press Y to look' is crazy obtrusive, it stays on the screen forever, doesn't even fade out when you're doing it. That and the unskippable cutscenes. Which I don't mind watching once, but on a second playthrough (which I definitely plan on doing) they'll be pretty obnoxious I'm sure.

And third, it should let you look at upgrades before you can buy them. Otherwise how are you supposed to know if you should save your alien DNA bucks, or splurge? I know you can do it from the Nanosuit showroom but you should be able to do it ingame too.

sfedai0

Banned
RoboPlato said:
This game has really grabbed me like no other FPS has in a while. I highly, highly recommend it to anyone that likes shooters. I mentioned it before but, PS3 players, set your PS3 to 720p output for this game. It looks and runs a lot smoother that way.

Is that in game settings or do we have to manually go in to our system settings to access it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
sfedai0 said:
Is that in game settings or do we have to manually go in to our system settings to access it?
Manually in the system settings. It's annoying but it does make a huge difference. Other games people have recommended that for haven't made much of a difference but here it's really obvious. Everything runs smoother and looks a lot more crisp.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
RoboPlato said:

I think it is easily the best Campaign from FPS in a good while.

Zimbardo

i liked crysis 1, but it bugged me how those stupid choppers would always follow me to the ends of the earth, even with me being invisible. there was no getting rid of them, unless you had the ammo/firepower to take them down it seemed.

also loved some of the bugs (not) ...ie, constantly falling through the floor of the ship during the very last part of the game. i didn't think i was going to be able to beat it, but i managed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MickeyKnox said:
Ai was all controlled in the cfgs, every aspect of it, you could make the crysis 1 ai incredibly good if you took a minute to peruse through the settings.
I am aware of that, I wasn't aware that they bothered to change it for Warhead.

Nizz

RoboPlato said:
So glad your impressions of it are good man! I think we kind of have similar tastes so I'll take your word for it. :) I've also seen someone else in this thread mention the point of setting the PS3 to 720p. I think I'm going to switch it from 1080p tonight and just leave it there. Most games run at or near that resolution anyway.

Dammit, now I just need Amazon to come through and give me that trade-in credit soon. Crysis 2's $53.99 now, and they're still giving you a $10.00 credit for future use.

strata8

MickeyKnox said:
Ai was all controlled in the cfgs, every aspect of it, you could make the crysis 1 ai incredibly good if you took a minute to peruse through the settings.
You can change their accuracy, etc, in the config files, but their actual 'intelligence' is in a whole bunch of Lua files in 'Scripts.pakl'.

But yeah, Crytek Budapest really went all out with Warhead's AI.

Once, (this is playing Crysis in Warhead's engine) I was running around that river area in Recovery, and suddenly I was seen by a sniper and a spotter on the other side. I quickly went into cloak (they saw me do this) and went to the other side, but instead of shooting me, they both ran off along the river. Curious, I followed them, and ended up near a whole squadron of KPA infantry. The sniper went up to the leader of the squad, the leader barked a command, and as one, the whole squad turned around and started shooting at the entire area where I had been standing uncloaked just moments before.

It was insane.

edited OP with this, will continue to do so as i get results

W.I.P config
Code:
sys_spec_full 4
sys_MaxFPS 60
sys_physics_CPU 3

e_ShadowsCastViewDistRatio 2
e_ProcVegetationMaxViewDistance 256
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes 1536
e_SkyUpdateRate 0.05
e_TerrainDetailMaterialsViewDistXY 4096