• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

strata8

bhlaab said:
r_PostMSAA is the temporal AA right?
On Gamer (and maybe Advanced) it's just temporal AA, on Extreme it's temporal AA combined with some really good EdgeAA. Look at this shot:
2011-03-22_00003ldnx.jpg

Slight blur, but no jaggies at all. Well worth it, IMO.

on the last level. got to say while i enjoyed C2 i'm really disappointed in how cramped the later half of the game becomes giving the player far fewer viable tactical options.

oh and the story is fucking retarded. still a good game and way better then your average corridor shooter.

CyReN

Really enjoying the single player a lot, been playing it non stop since yesterday. The scenery and action reminds me of the Cloverfield (movie) in some parts and I love it. The game also craps on Homefront in just about every department.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
WickedLaharl said:
oh and the story if fucking retarded.

I am legitimately curious about the novelization now (which never happens), since the story in the actual game appears to be so sparse (leaving not much to have to conform to) and the novelization is written by Peter Watts. I just finished reading one of his books, Blindsight, the other day, and while the plotting wasn't great it was very well-researched and thought-provoking hard scifi.

This shit with no Crossfire working and flickering when trying to get the best performance out of my card is f'kn WHACK!!!

Crysis is the kind of game that high end gamers CRAVE yet there is no proper support for this game yet?

I have to rename the exe to rift.exe in order to get it to not flicker.

Also: Does the config info in the previous page remove the motion blur when turning?? Tell me we can disable that right?

I imagine if you came to Crysis 2 in a relative vacuum that it could be kind of mind blowing, compared to what passes for shooters these days Crysis 2 must seem like a rich tapestry of freedom and possibility.

I think I would be more fine with the limited scope of the game if you could disable some of the visual and audio prompts. I don't need the suit to repeat everything to me verbatim when someone provides me with a new objective, or to inform me of tactical possibilities right before each combat set piece. It would be nice to be able to discover and experience the game on my own without it pointing everything out to me.

enemy AI breaks really easily. i can't tell you how many times i'd hear footsteps only to round a corner and see a soldier walking straight into a wall.

Aon

The lack of Sandbox 3 in the release is making me really sad. My friend who is a dirty pirate keeps telling me about all these interesting things he's making with the version that was in the leak.

I'm surprised by the quality of some of the multiplayer maps though. I really like the bit in Impact where you're fighting inside a building that's on a tilt.

Mohonky

Playing on Xbox360: totally surpassed my expectations of what a console is capable of.

Would love to get it on PC but my 8800GT is old as the hills. Will look at a new card when the new tech starts dropping for stuff like Battlefield 3 etc.

pakkit

Banned
Played up to the church (spoiler? eh...) today, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the game yet.

The story is surely awful. Privatized military? Check. Human bioengineering? Check. Obnoxiously obvious radio broadcast personalities? Check. Conspiracy theorist scientist that throws in the word "man" at the end of every few sentences to remind you that, yes, he is based off of Jeff Bridges from Tron. It's funny to see the subtitles, because even more of his script has him saying "man" or "dude" but apparently they scrapped those parts. It doesn't really matter anyway, the voice acting is weird. There seems to be disconnect between those who wrote the script and those who directed the VOs because a lot of intonation and pauses seem off. This is nitpicky in an FPS, of course, but coming off the Voice Acting brilliance of The Darkness, it was especially jarring. Story-wise, Crysis kind of reminds me of The Conduit in its hamfisted attempts at being poignant and relevant.

Visually, however, this is as far removed from Conduit as possible. On the 360 it's easy to see where they cut corners at places (there are some jarringly low rez textures out there and the pop in never ceases to get annoyings) but in the end it looks like a relatively high end PC game running on your Xbox. Crytek has been getting flak (and rightfully so) for abandoning the tech fawning PC fanbase, but it's hard to deny the technical achievement they've managed by making a beautiful game that translates across platforms. The invisibilty effect, specifically, never ceases to impress.

Gameplay-wise, I feel like I need to wait for more suit abilities to open up before truly judging. Perhaps it's because I've been ignoring the tactical view, but stealth in this game seems more difficult than it should be. I've had enemies see me through cover, and, in one special case, even spot me while I was invisible through a wall, and shoot me through said wall. It's frustrating because the game relies on autosaving, a misstep in my eyes for a game that so openly encourages experimentation. That said, I can see that there are many angles to approach the game from, which I certainly appreciate, and my hope is that once I get a more firm grasp on the controls (non-COD player, here), the attack options may open up to me. I do like that in certain scenarios I can engage the enemy on several levels, or perhaps even bypass them entirely by diving into the water and swimming underneath the pier they're patrolling. It's a simple mechanic, but it's also refreshing to not run into an invisible wall simply because it might make the game easier.

The two multiplayer matches I played seemed impressively competent too. Crysis 2 definitely strikes me as consolized, but, as a play your own Hollywood blockbuster affair, it also seems much more open and interesting gameplay wise than the narrow linear shooters we've been spoon fed.

The story in this game is a little frustrating (I'm not done it yet, so I hope that it'll get better). There's actually a lot of cool setting and narrative themes and whatnot that actually have potential. Transhumanism, corporate/PMC corruption, the fall of New York, an individual whose consciousness seems to be slowly being eaten away by a machine, nanotechnology. The nature of the aliens, what they're purpose is, stuff like that. There's a lot of potential. But it just lacks emotion and it's so disconnected. On a visceral level, it sorta works because you're seeing the destruction of an iconic city, but narratively and emotionally... it's hard to be invested.

The most interesting character so far is Hargreave, I guess. His voice is strange, but he seems genuinely engaged in all the shit that's happening. I still wish Alcatraz talked and wasn't just everyone puppet being jerked around or whatever. What's strange is, he grunts and breathes, but not a single whisper even. But I've already mentioned this sticking point before. Anyways... the narrative background is more interesting than the actual narrative, I guess. But I hope it picks up from here... for night has fallen.

But jeez, some of the visuals in this game... just gorgeous.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I had a lot of fun the first time through and was able to ignore most issues, but replaying it with the nanocrystal collection bug and melee/stealth kill glitch is really starting to test my patience. I'll have to play some MP then I guess.

Oh wait I still can't connect to the server after 2 days.

fffuu

Do you get dedicated strength and speed abilities or are those relegated to context sensitive actions like kicking an object, jumping, running and sliding while running?

With the speed at which you regain energy and how some powers seem totally context sensitive now or activated with a button press rather than an ability wheel you call up, Crysis 2 feels more action-y and arcade-y.

pakkit said:
\Gameplay-wise, I feel like I need to wait for more suit abilities to open up before truly judging. Perhaps it's because I've been ignoring the tactical view, but stealth in this game seems more difficult than it should be. I've had enemies see me through cover, and, in one special case, even spot me while I was invisible through a wall, and shoot me through said wall. It's frustrating because the game relies on autosaving, a misstep in my eyes for a game that so openly encourages experimentation. That said, I can see that there are many angles to approach the game from, which I certainly appreciate, and my hope is that once I get a more firm grasp on the controls (non-COD player, here), the attack options may open up to me. I do like that in certain scenarios I can engage the enemy on several levels, or perhaps even bypass them entirely by diving into the water and swimming underneath the pier they're patrolling. It's a simple mechanic, but it's also refreshing to not run into an invisible wall simply because it might make the game easier.

If the enemy A.I. is alerted to your presence, they'll notice you walking in front of them if you're cloaked. But generally stealth is a lot easier in this game than it was in Crysis or Warhead because the energy consumed by cloaking seems to be greatly reduced while the recharge time is vastly decreased. You just walk behind them while cloaked and melee for the insta-stealth kill.

That said I've been detected through walls or behind objects out of a clear line of sight numerous times. You wheel around a corner to see a PMC merc walking into a wall.

So I've hit a point in the single player where I'm pretty sure the game wants me to move up and go. Not sure why, but that's just the feeling I get.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
luka said:
I had a lot of fun the first time through and was able to ignore most issues, but replaying it with the nanocrystal collection bug and melee/stealth kill glitch is really starting to test my patience. I'll have to play some MP then I guess.

Oh wait I still can't connect to the server after 2 days.

fffuu

Only servers I can get on are non ranked. Multiplayer is far better than I anticipated.

DoomGyver

Played a few MP games with no lag and it's really fun. I feel sorry for the people who have no idea how to use the armor/stealth though. The spawns do need some work, at the beginning of one TDM I spawned directly between two enemies and near none of my teammates, like wtf.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
_tetsuo_ said:
Only servers I can get on are non ranked. Multiplayer is far better than I anticipated.
I can't even log in to my account. It always gives me the message "An error has occurred. Please check your network connectivity."
I've tried mucking about with my router, disabling firewall, DMZ, etc. Nothing works.

:sadface:

Better,
fixed the fov for widescreen monitors and there's no sprinting tunnel vision.

Code:
sys_spec_full=4
sys_MaxFPS=60
sys_physics_CPU=3

e_GIMaxDistance=100
e_ShadowsCastViewDistRatio=2
e_ProcVegetationMaxViewDistance=256
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes=1024
e_SkyUpdateRate=0.05
e_TerrainDetailMaterialsViewDistXY=4096
e_TerrainDetailMaterialsViewDistZ=256
e_TerrainLodRatio=1
e_VegetationSpritesDistanceRatio=1.2
e_ViewDistMin=10
e_ViewDistRatio=60
e_ViewDistRatioCustom=60
e_ViewDistRatioDetail=50
e_ViewDistRatioLights=40
e_ViewDistRatioPortals=90
e_ViewDistRatioVegetation=60
e_WaterTesselationAmount=8
e_WaterTesselationAmountX=10
e_WaterTesselationAmountY=10
e_WaterWavesTesselationAmount=8
g_breakage_particles_limit=250
r_BeamsMaxSlices=300
r_ColorGrading=1
r_DetailDistance=20
r_MotionBlur=2
r_MotionBlurMaxViewDist=25
r_PostMSAA=0
r_RainDistMultiplier=2
r_ShowDynTexturesMaxCount=48
r_TexAtlasSize=1024
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize=128
r_UseEdgeAA=2
r_UseMergedPosts=3
r_UsePOM=1
r_VegetationSpritesTexRes=128
r_VSync=1
r_WaterReflectionsMinVisiblePixelsUpdate=0.01
r_WaterUpdateDistance=1.5
r_WaterUpdateFactor=0.01
r_TexturesStreaming=0

i_mouse_accel=0 
g_skipIntro=1
cl_fov=72
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=72
r_MultiThreaded=1
d3d9_TextureFilter=trilinear

Just installed the game.

Demo worked fine.

Why is my and every other character in the game invisible?

I also can't get past the first submarine sequence, run into dead end. Once again everything but the environemtn is invisible.

fuck

kitch9

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
This shit with no Crossfire working and flickering when trying to get the best performance out of my card is f'kn WHACK!!!

Crysis is the kind of game that high end gamers CRAVE yet there is no proper support for this game yet?

I have to rename the exe to rift.exe in order to get it to not flicker.

Also: Does the config info in the previous page remove the motion blur when turning?? Tell me we can disable that right?

Have you tried the latest Cat App profiles as the last one released has a profile for Crysis 2?

http://www.rage3d.com/cap/

Gvaz

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
That score seems entirely based on the graphics quality and not the actual game itself.
I find this rule of thumb is pretty good for me with paid reviewers:

Is it an AAA title? Remove ten points from the score.

Is it an indie/new ip/unknown studio/from russia? add ten points to the score.

There are however exceptions to the rule but for the most part this works for me.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Whose fucking bright idea was it to do the HAHA no platinum or 1000/1000 for you until September 22nd-24th, 2011 or further, w/e date you bought it on add 6 months to your purchase, it FUCKING goes by the MOTHERFUCKING SERVER TIME!?....WAT!

Crytek really trying to troll the community lol
That is motherfucking retarded, fucking rage, *flips over table, kicks a couple of magazine racks*

Fuck You Dedication trophy, f'n bronze trophy ; ;, gonna be @98% for fucking 6 months

...i.,(-_-),.i...

Lingitiz

GraveRobberX said:
Whose fucking bright idea was it to do the HAHA no platinum or 1000/1000 for you until September 22nd-24th, 2011 or further, w/e date you bought it on add 6 months to your purchase, it FUCKING goes by the MOTHERFUCKING SERVER TIME!?....WAT!

That is motherfucking retarded, fucking rage, *flips over table, kicks a couple of magazine racks*

Fuck You Dedication trophy, f'n bronze trophy ; ;, gonna be @98% for fucking 6 months

...i.,(-_-),.i...
While I agree its stupid, its just a trophy/achievement dude.

ColonialRaptor said:
Anyone else here running a 5970?

I'm having performance issues and flickering problems :(

It seems that Crossfire isn't properly supported at the moment.

How f'n lame!! I'm getting sub 30fps at 1920x1080 :( :( :(

I haven't gotten the game yet, so can't verify this, but AMD released a new application profile on 3/18 that supposedly increases crossfire performance for Crysis 2. Have you tried that yet?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Gvaz said:
I find this rule of thumb is pretty good for me with paid reviewers:

Is it an AAA title? Remove ten points from the score.

Is it an indie/new ip/unknown studio/from russia? add ten points to the score.

There are however exceptions to the rule but for the most part this works for me.
I see what you mean.

bhlaab

Didn't the guy who wrote the story for this game go on a thing trashing games stories. I mean I agree that Halo's fiction is rubbish but dude put one foot in front of the other before you go talking on the street about handstands

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Lingitiz said:
While I agree its stupid, its just a trophy/achievement dude.

Hi, I'm GraveRobberX, we haven't met before, how are you by the way?, I'm one of GAF's many trophy/achievement hunters

GraveRobberX.png

MickeyKnox said:
Better,
fixed the fov for widescreen monitors and there's no sprinting tunnel vision.

Code:
sys_spec_full=4
sys_MaxFPS=60
sys_physics_CPU=3

e_GIMaxDistance=100
e_ShadowsCastViewDistRatio=2
e_ProcVegetationMaxViewDistance=256
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes=1024
e_SkyUpdateRate=0.05
e_TerrainDetailMaterialsViewDistXY=4096
e_TerrainDetailMaterialsViewDistZ=256
e_TerrainLodRatio=1
e_VegetationSpritesDistanceRatio=1.2
e_ViewDistMin=10
e_ViewDistRatio=60
e_ViewDistRatioCustom=60
e_ViewDistRatioDetail=50
e_ViewDistRatioLights=40
e_ViewDistRatioPortals=90
e_ViewDistRatioVegetation=60
e_WaterTesselationAmount=8
e_WaterTesselationAmountX=10
e_WaterTesselationAmountY=10
e_WaterWavesTesselationAmount=8
g_breakage_particles_limit=250
r_BeamsMaxSlices=300
r_ColorGrading=1
r_DetailDistance=20
r_MotionBlur=2
r_MotionBlurMaxViewDist=25
r_PostMSAA=0
r_RainDistMultiplier=2
r_ShowDynTexturesMaxCount=48
r_TexAtlasSize=1024
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize=128
r_UseEdgeAA=2
r_UseMergedPosts=3
r_UsePOM=1
r_VegetationSpritesTexRes=128
r_VSync=1
r_WaterReflectionsMinVisiblePixelsUpdate=0.01
r_WaterUpdateDistance=1.5
r_WaterUpdateFactor=0.01
r_TexturesStreaming=0

i_mouse_accel=0 
g_skipIntro=1
cl_fov=72
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=72
r_MultiThreaded=1
d3d9_TextureFilter=trilinear

does anyone feel like going through and writing a bit of text under each of these to explain what the old settings were and what the updated numbers / settings do?

Also - how do you apply these changes? What is it that I change? Which file? That info could be put into the OP.

Also, I'm trying the CAP update now.

I'd like to ask some questions...

edit - just found out this link in the OP is pretty useful.

Heavy said:
Last post for a while, promise. lol. He spent time making a long post and I'd feel bad if I didn't reply and ignored it.

You're right about the suit powers. The recharge is definitely more generous, but the game at its core is all about the Nanosuit so I don't see the problem with this?

This is false. You can walk right up to the Koreans in Crysis 1 while stealthed till you're a few feet away, which is when they notice you. You don't have to hide behind foliage and the shadows or anything like you described.

This is incorrect, too. What difficulty are you playing on? If you have armor mode active on Veteran or Post-Human and walk into an area like that you'll be mowed down in seconds.

You're right about the abundant ammo. That was a disappointing change and definitely has the console stench all over it.

The suit powers are integrated better, definitely. It's much smoother swapping powers and pulling off complex moves.

you're wrong on the stealth part from part one. the soldiers would notice if you moved the grass or a tree even while in stealth mode. and not from a few feet away.

KingJ2002

I dunno guys... this game is pretty but playing through the single player campaign is painfully boring. The enemies get stuck in walls, the story is razor thin. I've never played the first crysis so i'm assuming im just missing out on the story... but the game just doesn't grab you. There's no feeling of wanting to accomplish anything... you just move forward and till you hit a cut scene.

I don't think i can keep playing this game. I'm clearly not having fun but like a masochist I know i will probably hold onto this game until i complete the campaign. Not to know what happens but just to have the achievements.

EDIT: yes... the soldiers notice if you're close enough... but it's random... sometimes i walk right up to their face and grab them... other times i have a hard time getting a stealth kill. I'm assuming it has something to do with the alert meter at the bottom... if they're yellow or red and more on edge... they will notice... if not... they will not notice even if you slowly walk up and stab them.

So as someone who played about three hours of crysis at launch before it melted my pc is this a self contained story or should i youtube the fuck out of crysis 1 story.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
GraveRobberX said:

...i.,(-_-),.i...
If you were in front of me right now I would slap you.

I've run into a progression stopping bug in the Semper Fi or Die mission, has anyone else experienced this? Details below;

Near the end of the mission, Alcatraz and a bunch of marine buddies need to hold out against wave after wave of aliens. The final wave is a Ceph Gunship.

I clear the first 4 waves. A marine yells "Ceph Gunship incoming, take it out!" and the gunship never shows up. I'm just standing there and the marine keeps yelling "GOGOGO" but the gunship never appears.

I have tried restarting the level, going back a level and playing through, loading the checkpoint that happens just before the event is triggered. Nothing works. Super disappointing.

Anyone have a fix?

glaurung

Spent about 40m with the game as it unlocked at 1:00 AM in Steam and I needed to be at work in the morning.

Quick impressions:
  • The graphics look really horrible at times. Take a closer look at the leaves. Plus in the very beginning there is a totally flat texture that is supposed to represent shell casings but looks like graffiti. The game still looks great overall, but the instances what I believe to be concessions for the console version drag it down a whole lot.
  • Tutorial elements forced down your throat. About two linear corridors into the game you are forced to activate your shield and then get freaking shot. I mean, couldn't they just have told me that you can use this approach, but not freeze me in place so the enemies see me? That effing retarded.
  • No rewards for stealth. I know that this is not this game's point, but come on. I could have sneaked all the way through the first level if it weren't for the stupid tutorial shootout.
  • The unlocks and extras menus are nice, but why in the world would the game display the unlocked email correspondence to me in what looks like font size 120? It probably looks OK if you are playing the console version on an SD set, but on the PC? It's a joke.
  • Multiplayer does not work. Entering my mycrysis.com login information tells me that it is incorrect. I even tried resetting my password, no effect.
  • Steam gave me two key codes. The longer one for MP activation and a shorter one for unlockable stuff? There is no place in the game to input the shorter code. Unless it is somewhere under the MP section that I cannot access.

ZeroRay

So I'm at the part on
Lab Rat where you defeat the helicopter and waves of guys coming into the lab. After I beat the heli, I go down, the only door that seems to lead out is not opening. Is there something I'm overlooking or do I have an annoying glitch. Tried restarting, same effect.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
glaurung said:
[*]Steam gave me two key codes. The longer one for MP activation and a shorter one for unlockable stuff? There is no place in the game to input the shorter code. Unless it is somewhere under the MP section that I cannot access.
[/LIST]
That's probably the LE code. You put it in at mycrysis.com/limitededition.

ZeroRay said:
So I'm at the part on
Lab Rat where you defeat the helicopter and waves of guys coming into the lab. After I beat the heli, I go down, the only door that seems to lead out is not opening. Is there something I'm overlooking or do I have an annoying glitch. Tried restarting, same effect.
I
found a hatch with a lock on the floor that dropped me outside under the building. From there I was able to make it to the roof of that building and across some yellow broken down scaffolding.

Lingitiz

_tetsuo_ said:
Just found out you can use the visor in multiplayer :eek:

Spot and mark!
This has been a pretty huge help when using the Feline or the Jackal. Really liking the feel of the weapons in mp so far.

ZeroRay

Pookaki said:
I
found a hatch with a lock on the floor that dropped me outside under the building. From there I was able to make it to the roof of that building and across some yellow broken down scaffolding.

So not a door then, thanks.

sinnergy

glaurung said:
Spent about 40m with the game as it unlocked at 1:00 AM in Steam and I needed to be at work in the morning.

Quick impressions:
  • The graphics look really horrible at times. Take a closer look at the leaves. Plus in the very beginning there is a totally flat texture that is supposed to represent shell casings but looks like graffiti. The game still looks great overall, but the instances what I believe to be concessions for the console version drag it down a whole lot.
  • Tutorial elements forced down your throat. About two linear corridors into the game you are forced to activate your shield and then get freaking shot. I mean, couldn't they just have told me that you can use this approach, but not freeze me in place so the enemies see me? That effing retarded.
  • No rewards for stealth. I know that this is not this game's point, but come on. I could have sneaked all the way through the first level if it weren't for the stupid tutorial shootout.
  • The unlocks and extras menus are nice, but why in the world would the game display the unlocked email correspondence to me in what looks like font size 120? It probably looks OK if you are playing the console version on an SD set, but on the PC? It's a joke.
  • Multiplayer does not work. Entering my mycrysis.com login information tells me that it is incorrect. I even tried resetting my password, no effect.
  • Steam gave me two key codes. The longer one for MP activation and a shorter one for unlockable stuff? There is no place in the game to input the shorter code. Unless it is somewhere under the MP section that I cannot access.

Dude really.

Top Bottom