• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Spookie

terrdactycalsrock said:
Its just kinda nice knowing that when I get home from Gamestop today with this game that I can put it into my 360 and it'll go. Whereas if I buy the pc version I dont know how long it will take to install, whether or not I have to keep the game in, how long should I save that serial code and so on

Really?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Igor Antunov said:
By no means. I have done a careful upsize of this xbox360 screen to the resolution I play at. It looks like poo. A 6 year old directx9 graphics card could pull this off. No dedicated console hardware magic here. Hardware from 2005 can never do better than this.

QmfpG.jpg

Actually while viewing that image in my browser at about 12 inches away from my face I'd agree but when I step back a few feet it does look quite impressive for a console game, I certainly don't think it looks like 'poo' as you so eloquently put it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
terrdactycalsrock said:
I have played pc games before, crysis warhead, stalker, the witcher, so I know how to use a mouse a keyboard. Its just kinda nice knowing that when I get home from Gamestop today with this game that I can put it into my 360 and it'll go. Whereas if I buy the pc version I dont know how long it will take to install, whether or not I have to keep the game in, how long should I save that serial code and so on
Astrolad?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Aw crap i got a speeding ticket :(

nib95 said:
Taking random 360 screen captures from around the web and uploading them to one of my albums. Feel free to have a gander!

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/Crysis 2 360 direct captures/
Nice captures, you have played about as far as me! It's a real looker on my 360 (yeah, I know the PC version probably spits all over it), and I'm enjoying the way the game feels too.

However storywise I have not played Crysis 1 (or Warhead) and feel like I'm thrown a little into things here. Anybody care to give me a short summary in a spoiler tag?!

Sh1ner

terrdactycalsrock said:
I have played pc games before, crysis warhead, stalker, the witcher, so I know how to use a mouse a keyboard. Its just kinda nice knowing that when I get home from Gamestop today with this game that I can put it into my 360 and it'll go. Whereas if I buy the pc version I dont know how long it will take to install, whether or not I have to keep the game in, how long should I save that serial code and so on

Theres this thing called steam, have you heard of it? you put in your serial once and thats it, you can throw the box and your receipts away. Steam is so easy, I bought crysis 2 on it at 30 pounds, solely cause it downloads the game for me, does the patching, the installing all automatically.

Maybe your look at PC gaming is outdated? I also have stalker, crysis, the witcher all on my steam account.

*The only cases I have kept is for the half life series and its down to nostalgia and the covers are cool. Everything else I have binned and steamed.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
@above, or your view of it is limited... It's not a hassle to install off a disc... Consoles do it too these days. Better price (often @ retail) > never having to input the key again. And seriously who throws his manuals away to worry about losing the key... Put it in a text file. Steam is great but you don't have to go to it for everything when prices are better elsewhere... Autopatching is also not a Steam exclusive feature, even games like Diablo II did it... Not that it's so hard to do it yourself... You do upgrade your drivers and stuff every so often, right? The process is similar enough, and often less trouble for game updating... I suppose it can be harder (but not that hard depending on the game's popularity) to get patches for very old games but hey, file archiving isn't hard either and the older the game the smaller the patches are...

X-Frame

So according to the Lens of Truth analysis preview, the 360 version has higher overall frame-rate but dips low and some screen tearing, and the PS3 has lower overall frame-rate but more stable and zero screen tearing.

Hmmmm.

markao

Tried out the game last night, replayed the first two levels a few times to see what different option were still possible, thoughts so far:

Lightning stunning, never seen anything like it before, only (guess it is) HDR (bloom) sometimes little too much, in motion lightning looks really good. Animations look good, ANT does a great job, textures strange. You can hide behind something, looking high res. and when standing up to shoot someone, the top of same object has an extreme low res. texture on it, inconsistent is probably the right word. No jaggies, so TAA works, but added blur is kind of annoying, so hope we will see some options in the near future for that.

Gameplay, I tried all kind of different approaches, stealth/Rambo, played and felt different, specially last time when I used almost every “gasoline can” to throw and blow up people (switch from throw to shoot is to slow, hope super strength fixes this, now throw, fall and then shoot, not in air).

However, why is (almost) every modern (AAA)game, including this one, play-tested by Forest Gump. Every single time you reach an object that you can interact with, it highlights itself and on top of it every single time mentions the button you should use. The first time you stealth kill someone, it is useful to mention the right key, second/third, ok, but why every single time. And the marking of objects (visor) makes it even worse, large blue & yellow text all over the place, enemies highlighted red, why. And don’t get me started about the annoying suit voice telling you what to do. I was fooling around, I know what the main goal is, no need to keep telling me it every single minute.

I do understand, specially after reading some reviews, that it might be helpful for some or even many, but just give other gamers the option to enjoy your game. It brakes every form of immersion I have with the beautiful world you created, gameplay is still there, but it is hidden by a layer of annoyance which should not be there :(

Whats crysis without posting shots, so 2 from the beginning, resized clcik for full.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
X-Frame said:
So according to the Lens of Truth analysis preview, the 360 version has higher overall frame-rate but dips low and some screen tearing, and the PS3 has lower overall frame-rate but more stable and zero screen tearing.

Hmmmm.

Hmmmm indeed, I had my heart set on the 360 version (UK) but now I'm not sure.

How long do you think it will before we get a DF analysis?

JoeBoy101 said:
Mickey, I noticed you're not using some of the sys commands that I've got in mine.

Code:
sys_spec_texture = 3
sys_spec_postprocessing = 3
sys_spec_shading = 3
sys_spec_water = 3
sys_spec_particles = 3
sys_spec_objectdetail = 3
sys_spec_shadows = 3

Just curious to the reasoning. Going to try your config here in a minute after I back mine up.

EDIT: Looks good, Mickey. Now if I could only be more motivated to play the silly thing. :-/
because at the top i have sys_spec_full=4 which maxes out all those in one shot

JB1981

MarkMclovin said:
Those 360 screens look insane. May be crazy to say, but we could be looking at a game with graphics on par with KZ2/3 here. The lighting looks spot on.

The game does look insane on 360. It's the best looking game to ever grace the system. Too bad no other studios care to push the system like this.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
So at one point i was surrounded by 4 aliens so i started to shotgun and melee the fuckers to death yelling "welcome to earf!" feels good man !

It's not possible / bullshit.

I've seen the rumors you're talking about and there is NO way that they'd do that.

If they do, then I'm going to run out and buy a 580 lol.

MY GOD this game is fucking KICK ARSE.

I'm completely in love with it. The graphics are awe inspiring and the gameplay has me sucked in!

I'll definitely play through single player more than once, I just want to SOAK this shit in...

I'll play through another time with unlimited energy cheat on... it'll be fun to run and gun through the whole thing :)

Dyno

Once you're fighting the aliens it becomes a different game. Those are the fuckers I want to square off with. I've been stealthing past as many humans as possible because I don't personally think that humans should be murdering each other during an alien invasion. We should rise above our petty squabbles. Aliens on the other hand, fair game.

Anyone else playing with no crosshairs and aim assist disabled? I always do this for every shooter that allows it. Having no crosshairs when you're in the tank and eyeballing missile shots to other tanks and helicopters is strictly for the boss.

JoeBoy101

MickeyKnox said:
because at the top i have sys_spec_full=4 which maxes out all those in one shot

Well, sir. Thank you for help me meet my daily quota of having learned something so early in the day. Huzzah!

decarb said:
So anyone heard this rumor that DX11 patch is going to be Nvidia exclusive at launch? Is that even possible?

Normally, I'd say no, but Crytek is pulling some scuzzy shit with this game. Like pimping DX11 in interviews and talks and then vanishing when its revealed no DX11 at launch.

They can make a patch that only works well with Nvidia hardware. Shit, DA2 has DX11 features that are only optimized for ATI cards right now. So yes, its very possible. And given how much money Nvidia has given Crytek, I wouldn't be altogether totally surprised if they did this either.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Sooo I seem to have preordered Crysis 2 on PS3 for $40 about a year ago.

Should I sell it and get my money back, then wait for a pricedrop on PC or is the difference between PC and PS3 not that bad?

Am I the only one that thinks NYC sucks in this game? There's like nothing right about it, aside from the general area where some landmarks are and the general look of the city. I found myself looking at the intersections and saying "What??? This is supposed to be <insert intersection here>??" at least 10 times so far.

It's pretty disappointing. :( I was hoping this would be the game that would do NYC some justice... and it may do so on a visual level, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like New York (one building a block in the Financial District? riiight...).

Also, Grand Central is tiny in this game.

If this game were built for the PC from the ground up, I could see there being more of a sandbox element in the city (and a correct scale of the city), with navigating the streets and being able to take alternate routes if you want to. Instead, the game is a guided experience through faux NYC hotspots with the only choices in gameplay being to go guns blazing or go silent until someone spots you from half a mile away the nanosecond you decloak. Sigh.

Dyno said:
Once you're fighting the aliens it becomes a different game. Those are the fuckers I want to square off with. I've been stealthing past as many humans as possible because I don't personally think that humans should be murdering each other during an alien invasion. We should rise above our petty squabbles. Aliens on the other hand, fair game.

Anyone else playing with no crosshairs and aim assist disabled? I always do this for every shooter that allows it. Having no crosshairs when you're in the tank and eyeballing missile shots to other tanks and helicopters is strictly for the boss.

No crosshair & aim assist here. It's the only way to be played.

Hardest to aim the HMG so far, but just point the tracers at the enemies is what I do. God it feels like that .50 cal cuts the CELL dudes apart.

Fucken love this shit. The physics and the interactivity from the world is just awesome.

Shoot at dudes and behind them all your bullet holes are shown realistically in the walls. Shoot a hot dog on a BBQ and it splatters in bits and pieces.

Shoot solar panels and only chunks at the location you shoot falls out, and it's completely awesome because it isn't just 'set' chunks, many different varieties.

God... I fkn love it.

JoeBoy101

Revolutionary said:
If this game were built for the PC from the ground up, I could see there being more of a sandbox element in the city (and a correct scale of the city), with navigating the streets and being able to take alternate routes if you want to. Instead, the game is a guided experience through faux NYC hotspots with the only choices in gameplay being to go guns blazing or go silent until someone spots you from half a mile away the nanosecond you decloak. Sigh.

And let me tell you, sirs. That is a fair assessment of the game we are discussing.

Z_Y

So all the positive impressions are getting to me so I decided to download the MP demo to see if it is worth the buy it today price or wait for a big sale. Try to join a game and get a message that the MP demo is over. Thanks for telling me AFTER I downloaded nearly a gig. Way to stand behind your game EA.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
JoeBoy101 said:
And let me tell you, sirs. That is a fair assessment of the game we are discussing.
Not completely true though. Completely atleast.

I know in the Giantbomb quick look, Jeff stated how he went under the sewers to get to the same destination which he hadn't done in the previous version. So there seems to be some alternate paths.

zoner said:

I know in the Giantbomb quick look, Jeff stated how he went under the sewers to get to the same destination which he hadn't done in the previous version. So there seems to be some alternate paths.
Right, well, did you notice that "alternate path" lasted for all of 15 seconds?

JoeBoy101

zoner said:

Yeah, but even then, I've hit scripted alternate paths were I cloaked in, and then, while cloaked, "He's in the sewers!", and here comes some grenades to 'flush me out'. What's the point of the stealth route if it ignores your stealth?

Loxley

I almost think at this point we should have a separate thread talking about the technical aspects/different versions of C2 :p

Anyway, is there any sort of consensus on the multiplayer yet? Does it seem relatively balanced? Any of the lag issues from the PS3 demo remain?

JoeBoy101 said:
Yeah, but even then, I've hit scripted alternate paths were I cloaked in, and then, while cloaked, "He's in the sewers!", and here comes some grenades to 'flush me out'. What's the point of the stealth route if it ignores your stealth?

They have motion sensors down there.

Dyno

ColonialRaptor said:
No crosshair & aim assist here. It's the only way to be played.

Hardest to aim the HMG so far, but just point the tracers at the enemies is what I do. God it feels like that .50 cal cuts the CELL dudes apart.

Yeah the HMG makes this a mature title all on it's own! No crosshair headshots from the hip are another "fuck yeah" moment. I killed the whole squad in just a few volleys. It was the most humans I ever killed at once so far.

luka said:
Well I finally managed to log in. Had to go to network and sharing center > wireless adapter settings > sharing and uncheck "allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection."
Thanks for this. I think I had that problem with BFBC2 for a while but I hadn't thought to try it this time.

Gotta post a few choice screens :)

Enjoy.

I didn't go for anything in particular except really nice crisp textures. Nice lighting, and huge amounts of world geometry.

bioshock2011-03-2421-5lzxf.png

bioshock2011-03-2500-0nl0l.png

Decarb said:
So anyone heard this rumor that DX11 patch is going to be Nvidia exclusive at launch? Is that even possible?
Nothing on that front, save that Nvidia officially took Crysis 2 off it's list of DX11 games...

and crytek isn't saying shit about any of the many questions being put forth by their community.

bioshock2011-03-2500-17ajl.png

bioshock2011-03-2500-12bfy.png

God I love this game!

On a seperate note, I'm sad because I played through about a two hour section of the game without FRAPS capping pics.... But I'm happy because I'll be happy to play that section again cause I'm frikken loving this shit.

Nightz

IPoopStandingUp said:
Sooo I seem to have preordered Crysis 2 on PS3 for $40 about a year ago.

Should I sell it and get my money back, then wait for a pricedrop on PC or is the difference between PC and PS3 not that bad?
I'll buy it off you for $40. =P

zoner said:
I don't recall the alternate paths in the original being that long either.
Really?
The water in the first area of the game (sunrise) is essentially an alternate route, and it sure as hell takes you a lot longer than 15 seconds to traverse it. There's literally ONE moment in Crysis 2 (so far - I'm very close to the end) that allows you that kind of freedom (and there's many more in Crysis 1).

The alternate routes in this game (conveniently marked with "stealth" by the visor) are typically a small, isolated area with 0-2 oblivious guards and an ammo cache. They're essentially glorified Half-Life Lambda Caches.

Truant

Anyone else getting slowdown after 5-10 minutes? If I restart the game it jumps back up to 60fps, but after a while, it goes down to 20, and it feels like the game is going into bullet time at random invervals.

Reinstalled the latest driver with a clean install, too.

played 30 minutes (got to work) of the 360 version and i think i'm gonna like this game.
It looks fucking great!! WOAW great.. And i like that you can be more creative than in most shooters.

glad i went for the 360 version.

Bought the PC version, haven't installed it yet. Can't wait for my pair of 6870s to come in the mail so I can run that shit on my Bravia - booya!

Once they fix the Crossfire problem, of course.

Top Bottom