• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

Wow...Crytek truly deserves to be as cocky as they are. Much respect. They already are the number 1 studio that push pc graphics to the extreme and they have kept that title for a long time. Now they're even impressing us on current gen consoles which is an amazing accomplishment. If this doesn't sell their cryengine 3 I don't know what will. Congratulations to Crytek. I hope they become very successful.

Halo 4 had pre-rendered videos ? I thought all cutscenes were in-game.

Performance wise Crysis 3 is shaping up to murder any single GPU, this guy has a 7970 and I can't imagine he is getting 60fps maxed out + AA.
I will be fine with 30fps with everything cranked to max and FXAA/SMAA.

I have two overclocked 670's and a overclocked 3570k so I'm hoping I can manage with a mix of very high and high settings. I'm honestly considering a 3rd 670 but I'll have to see what Crysis 3 does to my pc. I'm pretty optimistic about running Metro Last Light, which I think is gonna be the best looking game this year lol, but I'll see.

As nice as it looks, it's depressing that they spent so much time carefully modeling and animating a living, breathing, world, and didn't bother to put enemies or anything meaningful to do. The first 3 minutes of that video there isn't a single enemy encounter. I can see how experienced players could cut out the fluff and run straight to the magic checkpoint that lets you proceed through large but underpopulated train yard.

Mononoke

Banned
As nice as it looks, it's depressing that they spent so much time carefully modeling and animating a living, breathing, world, and didn't bother to put enemies or anything meaningful to do. The first 3 minutes of that video there isn't a single enemy encounter. I can see how experienced players could cut out the fluff and run straight to the magic checkpoint that lets you proceed through large but underpopulated train yard.

Hasn't that always kind of been the series problem? I mean, technically these games are pushing the limits. They are always breathtaking. But something is always off about them. IMO Crysis 2's plot was completely hollow, and it felt like I was playing a tech demo. Can't put my finger entirely on it. But it just lacked emotion/character. Game looked gorgeous as hell, but I found the story and the mission designs to be extremely boring.

Holy shit @ that 360 footage. Thats almost a different game from the Beta.

Why the hell are EA taking it down? They need more people to see that NOT less.

scitek

Hasn't that always kind of been the series problem? I mean, technically these games are pushing the limits. They are always breathtaking. But something is always off about them. IMO Crysis 2's plot was completely hollow, and it felt like I was playing a tech demo. Can't put my finger entirely on it. But it just lacked emotion/character. Game looked gorgeous as hell, but I found the story and the mission designs to be extremely boring.

This needs to be bannable. It's such bullshit, and I don't even think you know what you mean by it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Seriously?

One of my chief complaints with shooters today (such as Call of Duty) is their need to throw action at the player 100% of the time. CoD turns it up to 11 and never stops. There is absolutely no attention paid to actual pacing and no down time.

Those moments when you get a chance to breath and simply exist in the world are excellent and definitely improve the experience. Crysis 3 offers a mix of stealth, high action, and world building. Just walking through that ruined city looks wonderful to me. The idea that you need enemies at all times is so off putting.

I've never played Crysis 2, but Crysis 1 and Warhead had some fantastic enemy encounters, most of which were organic (ie, not just instaspawn and shooting gallery) and several of which had rather large enemy counts. Made for some insane firefights. That 360 footage was very pretty, but nothing happened in about 15 minutes of gameplay.

Seriously?

One of my chief complaints with shooters today (such as Call of Duty) is their need to throw action at the player 100% of the time. CoD turns it up to 11 and never stops. There is absolutely no attention paid to actual pacing and no down time.

Those moments when you get a chance to breath and simply exist in the world are excellent and definitely improve the experience. Crysis 3 offers a mix of stealth, high action, and world building. Just walking through that ruined city looks wonderful to me. The idea that you need enemies at all times is so off putting.

I'm only complaining with the hindsight that the game is apparently 5 hours long. 5 hours with tons of gameplay I can deal with, 5 "cinematic" hours would go by pretty damn fast.

sinnergy

Well, colour me impressed, because the IQ really seems pretty decent.

And I mean, this shot?

I've never seen grass that dense on a PC game, much less a console game. That's just insane, and I really want to know how they're doing it.

Smart instancing is my bet.

FACE

Banned
20130217135633hyon0.jpg

Texture loading issues?

Mononoke

Banned
This needs to be bannable. It's such bullshit, and I don't even think you know what you mean by it.

Whoa - bannable?

Wasn't trying to troll or be mean. It's just my opinion. Next time I'll be mindful posting a critical opinion in a thread dedicated to that game.

Definitely noted. That said - my issues with the series (which again, is purely my own subjective opinion) aside - I still appreciate elements of the series. I love the gameplay, and the MP. So I'm excited for 3. If you think my opinion is non-sense, and believe I don't know what I'm saying - I can accept that. I'm not offended. I don't offer my opinion as some kind of higher voice. I am not a critic, or a professional. I only know how I personally feel, and hence I said it. But I don't think I should be banned for that. Geez.

EDIT: Okay, I see you took more issue with what I said about it feeling like a Tech Demo. I'll admit that was a really dumb comment. And in the future, I'll think more before I say something (especially when I'm offering an opinion about how a game is designed). Fair enough. My apologies for the stupid comment.

A lot of hubbub about the graphics. The game looks really really great, even on 360. Personally though, I found Farcry 3 to be the much better game. Gameplay wise, there is so much more variety in FC3 than Crysis 3.

A lot of hubbub about the graphics. The game looks really really great, even on 360. Personally though, I found Farcry 3 to be the much better game. Gameplay wise, there is so much more variety in FC3 than Crysis 3.

oh didn't know you have C3. Did it take you 5 hours to finish as well like some rumours are saying for SP?

scitek

Whoa - bannable?

Wasn't trying to troll or be mean. It's just my opinion. Next time I'll be mindful posting a critical opinion in a thread dedicated to that game.

Definitely noted. That said - my issues with the series (which again, is purely my own subjective opinion) aside - I still appreciate elements of the series. I love the gameplay, and the MP. So I'm excited for 3. If you think my opinion is non-sense, and believe I don't know what I'm saying - I can accept that. I'm not offended. I don't offer my opinion as some kind of higher voice. I am not a critic, or a professional. I only know how I personally feel, and hence I said it. But I don't think I should be banned for that. Geez.

EDIT: Okay, I see you took more issue with what I said about it feeling like a Tech Demo. I'll admit that was a really dumb comment. And in the future, I'll think more before I say something (especially when I'm offering an opinion about how a game is designed). Fair enough. My apologies for the stupid comment.

The tech demo comment is used ad nauseum in Crysis threads by people that don't like the games. It's practically a meme this point, and people routinely use it to just troll the games without providing any substantive thought. Sorry to jump on you specifically like that, but I guess I don't see how the series is anything like a tech demo. I can see how people might have trouble finding fun in a game that leaves you to move through it at your own pace, but that's a totally different discussion.

I hate to be that guy, but are Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 really comparable? They're both shooters, but they aim for distinctly different experiences.

imotep

Neo Member
Alright pre-load is now complete, can't wait. I have about 60 hours played of crysis 2 (All in single player) and I anticipate putting at least that much into this.

I was gonna wait for next gen to get this game but I decided to buy the pc version to support Crytek and the pc market. I'll probably use steam and make an account there. Can't wait for my new pc

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Only thing that really sucks is that Origin distribution... for me its steam or no sale! Been burned by that lame Origin distribution once too many times!

haikira

That sucks ass... I'll pass on this game :(! Can't believe they are make such short experiences! Don't care how great it looks there is no excuse for short games!

As KKRT00 said above, he's running it on easy and just blasting through the game. I'm pretty sure you can substantially cut down the run time of most games, by doing that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I would wait for this if amazon wasnt offering 20$ credit and a free Crysis 1. Also using 20$ credit on it. Short games deserve price drops.

KKRT00

Huh? The feed is poor quality, low res and full of artifacts, how you can tell good graphics from that is beyond me...

Maybe i base my opinion not only on this footage, but others too? And the amount of particles in this scene is mindblowing, same goes for scale and the thing that there wasnt any loading before this cut-scene, but it blended after running through kilometer long level.

aegies

Did the performance meet your expectations on console?

I haven't played on console yet. On PC, with a core i7 3770 and a 7970 with everything but shadows turned up to very high, I had to artificially cap my framerate at 40 and externally force vsync to make it playable. Otherwise the framerate just swung around too much. The cap and the vsync kept it at 30fps for the bulk of the game. At the end I actually had to lower my resolution to 720p (from 1080p) to get it back to playable framerates again.

scitek

Your Crytek shilling is getting old. Even 7 hours is pretty terrible, considering Crysis 2 was anywhere between 10 to 15 hours.

It is disappointingly short for a Crytek game, that's for sure, but if 7 hours is pretty terrible, then I assume you also think the same of Call of Duty and every other game the same can be said about.

On a side note, I remember learning BLACK was *only* 8 hours long back in '06 and laughing at how short I thought that was.

sp3000

It is disappointingly short for a Crytek game, that's for sure, but if 7 hours is pretty terrible, then I assume you also think the same of Call of Duty and every other game the same can be said about.

On a side note, I remember learning BLACK was *only* 8 hours long back in '06 and laughing at how short I thought that was.

I hold Crytek to a higher standard that the COD games and it's various clones that are crapped out annually. That's why I have paid full price for every one of their games, and not purchased a COD game since 4.

Eideka

Banned
I haven't played on console yet. On PC, with a core i7 3770 and a 7970 with everything but shadows turned up to very high, I had to artificially cap my framerate at 40 and externally force vsync to make it playable. Otherwise the framerate just swung around too much. The cap and the vsync kept it at 30fps for the bulk of the game. At the end I actually had to lower my resolution to 720p (from 1080p) to get it back to playable framerates again.

Melter of PC confirmed.

scitek

LOL, returning to the first game indeed.

I hold Crytek to a higher standard that the COD games and it's various clones that are crapped out annually. That's why I have paid full price for every one of their games, and not purchased a COD game since 2007.

Gotcha.

FACE

Banned

Definitely Crysis.

Edit: It was very disappointing that the last bit of Crysis 2 did not kick my PC in the balls.

GHG

Gold Member

Jeeze...

How much do those titans cost again?

I still can't get over Psycho's new voice. I miss the Jason Statham persona. :(

Ditto

Play Warhead again. EXCELLENT voice and writing. Like its a shame that THAT'S the game that probably got the best performances and writing in the entire series.

Top Bottom