• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

DaBuddaDa

I haven't played on console yet. On PC, with a core i7 3770 and a 7970 with everything but shadows turned up to very high, I had to artificially cap my framerate at 40 and externally force vsync to make it playable. Otherwise the framerate just swung around too much. The cap and the vsync kept it at 30fps for the bulk of the game. At the end I actually had to lower my resolution to 720p (from 1080p) to get it back to playable framerates again.
I'm sure nvidia and amd will release new drivers with Crysis 3 optimization in the near future...they always do with Crysis games. They usually end up squeezing a 10 to 20% increase.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Crysis 3 has a lot of settings that destroy your framerate without making the game look a whole lot better. I rolled with Maldo's profile for the beta. Basically high with a few tweaks.

Zeth

Crysis 3 has a lot of settings that destroy your framerate without making the game look a whole lot better. I rolled with Maldo's profile for the beta. Basically high with a few tweaks.

What's your setup? I'm shooting for 60fps, so I will probably turn some things down a bit. Single 680, 3570k 4.2.

I might be in the minority, but I enjoyed the Beta quite a lot, and it ran rather well with the Nvidia beta drivers.

LCGeek

formerly sane

This. If you aren't tweaking shadows, particles, or aspects of the lighting you're losing a lot for fluff that isn't that much different if you tweak a value or knock it down a spec level. In C2 we could afford to throw away performance as a lot of machines could go extreme or ultra easy with little effort, seems even high end stuff is getting pushed with C3. Don't mind this as it's like C1 in this area and in time with a new gpu most of us can easily start using these features at 1080p with all or most of the eye candy.

I've been making custom cfg since C1 for this reason. I keep one for mp to ensure frames basically never dip and SP friendly one so that useless stuff is off or not in the way of sweetfx enhancements.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What's your setup? I'm shooting for 60fps, so I will probably turn some things down a bit. Single 680, 3570k 4.2.

I might be in the minority, but I enjoyed the Beta quite a lot, and it ran rather well with the Nvidia beta drivers.
I used an overclocked i5-750 and Crossfire 5850s. It wasn't melted butter on teflon smooth like BF3 but it was good enough.

Smokey

I haven't played on console yet. On PC, with a core i7 3770 and a 7970 with everything but shadows turned up to very high, I had to artificially cap my framerate at 40 and externally force vsync to make it playable. Otherwise the framerate just swung around too much. The cap and the vsync kept it at 30fps for the bulk of the game. At the end I actually had to lower my resolution to 720p (from 1080p) to get it back to playable framerates again.

wat? was this on ultra setting or something?

ss_lemonade

That's the kind of build I'm aiming for :(. Hopefully new drivers sort things out. Is Maldo working on modding this too? His Crysis 2 mod was extremely helpful, squeezed out a few more frames while looking better at the same time.

Ditto

Play Warhead again. EXCELLENT voice and writing. Like its a shame that THAT'S the game that probably got the best performances and writing in the entire series.
I'd be surprised if the writing in this wasn't the best in the series. Steven Hall (who wrote a very good, very weird SF novel called The Raw Shark Texts) wrote this; suspect it'll be great in that aspect, at the very least.

Mononoke

Banned
The tech demo comment is used ad nauseum in Crysis threads by people that don't like the games. It's practically a meme this point, and people routinely use it to just troll the games without providing any substantive thought. Sorry to jump on you specifically like that, but I guess I don't see how the series is anything like a tech demo. I can see how people might have trouble finding fun in a game that leaves you to move through it at your own pace, but that's a totally different discussion.

I hate to be that guy, but are Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 really comparable? They're both shooters, but they aim for distinctly different experiences.

I actually have never heard someone saying that before. I don't read this thread, nor have I ever really paid attention to what the gaming community has said about Crysis.

But I apologize if I said something that is used often. Was not my intention. Anyways, regardless I'm still pumped for 3. I personally enjoyed the MP beta quite a lot. :)

sp3000

I'd be surprised if the writing in this wasn't the best in the series. Steven Hall (who wrote a very good, very weird SF novel called The Raw Shark Texts) wrote this; suspect it'll be great in that aspect, at the very least.

Richard Morgan wrote Crysis 2, and his novels are typically good. That didn't stop the writing from being total garbage.

It's almost becoming a standard part of every new shooter thread. The part where someone reports it's a 5 hour game. Then, inevitably it almost becomes a contest to see who can say it's the shortest. 5 hours? No, this guy says it's 3.5 hours!

smh

For those who play their games like normal people, it inevitably becomes a 6 hour game minimum, and often something closer to 8.

Finished five or six missions. Feels like the game is about to end soon. I don't lnow why but no matter what i try i cant like this game. Maybe its performance (frame rate) maybe the setting and the main character, i just dont know. Anyway pros and cons:

+ Outstanding graphics
+ Art design is better than the first and the second games
+ Better design of suit abilities, power kick or sprinting doesnt drains suit energy.

- Gunplay is not good enough for me (in comparision i find Killzone, Rage and MW3 s gunplay excellent to very good)
- Story sucks ( as every gamer and their dogs can guess)
- Frame rate is very low on some scenes
- Enemy animations are a little too rough.

How's the enemy AI?

I'm only complaining with the hindsight that the game is apparently 5 hours long. 5 hours with tons of gameplay I can deal with, 5 "cinematic" hours would go by pretty damn fast.

I'd rather have a well-paced 5 hour campaign (eg: Modern Warfare 2) than a 5 hour campaign that's nothing but action (eg: Black Ops).

Can't decide between this and mgrising

What's consensus on this? Not so worried about length as long as its fun enough to replay

I'm curious too. I could replay Call of Duty 2 and Modern Warfare because they were very well-paced, and fun games. I loved tackling them on higher difficulties.

It's almost becoming a standard part of every new shooter thread. The part where someone reports it's a 5 hour game. Then, inevitably it almost becomes a contest to see who can say it's the shortest. 5 hours? No, this guy says it's 3.5 hours!

smh

For those who play their games like normal people, it inevitably becomes a 6 hour game minimum, and often something closer to 8.
I play games like normal people. Crysis 2 took me 15 hours. Crysis 3 took me 4.5 but OK.

Killed jim stirling earlier and he RQ'd lol. But he went to play Tomb Raider so I guess he wins

Vitor711

7.01am PST using FlyVPN's free Asian IP.

I'm assuming that's on the 19th? Can't wait.

Beta looked great and ran well on very high even on my 680m laptop so, while I expect the SP to be more demanding, I'm thinking that all settings on High at 1080 with 30FPS shouldn't be a problem (fingers crossed).

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I'm assuming that's on the 19th? Can't wait.

Beta looked great and ran well on very high even on my 680m laptop so, while I expect the SP to be more demanding, I'm thinking that all settings on High at 1080 with 30FPS shouldn't be a problem (fingers crossed).

Tomorrow, the 18th.

dankir

Terrible quality, even for YT.

Tip for future uploads: deinterlace the video that you're going to upload.

Strange we used an HD Happauge capture box, I think it's my friends TV actually. Pretty high lag and he hasn't made any visual setting modifications.

But thanks

graywolf323

I really want Crysis 3 but all these reports of the single player being so short are making me hesitant to break down and buy it since I don't really bother with multiplayer in games :(

LCGeek

formerly sane
I really want Crysis 3 but all these reports of the single player being so short are making me hesitant to break down and buy it since I don't really bother with multiplayer in games :(

If you like warhead and its length don't see why it's an issue. The suit is so much better than 2 and even 1 in some aspects so replaying the SP at least twice for different styles is definite for me already.

I'd rather have 5 good hours than what we got at the end of 1 or the dragging on of 2 at certain points.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I loved Crysis 1 and Crysis 2 was meh, though I played it a lot anyway. Warhead was the best in the franchise. I'm a huge graphics whore with a capable PC but I'm worried about length as I'm mostly into the game's SP. I enjoyed the multiplayer beta much more this time around so I might be willing to put more time into that. Convince me to buy this game, someone.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why Origin for the PC version. For me. It's Steam or nothing.

I loved Crysis 1 and Crysis 2 was meh, though I played it a lot anyway. Warhead was the best in the franchise. I'm a huge graphics whore with a capable PC but I'm worried about length as I'm mostly into the game's SP. I enjoyed the multiplayer beta much more this time around so I might be willing to put more time into that. Convince me to buy this game, someone.

I usually don't care about MP for these types of games, either, but the Hunter mode looks extremely fun and replayable. I'll be putting time into that.

And if the SP is fun and replayable, I will have no problem with the length. I'm sure it will at least be more replayable than many shooters on the market today, since the areas are so big and open.

I like how some will try and claim that camping is only relative to console gaming. I've played a handful of shooters on PC and it's the same nonsense. Stat tracking/gamers worrying about their K/D ratio has ruined a lot of online gaming IMO.

RoKKeR

When is the earliest people will be VPN'ing this game? Looking forward to impressions, as the last week has killed my anticipation.

Top Bottom