• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

Vitor711

I have just left the train depots, yes. I dont know how far I am in the game, but since I played a few hours and people said its only 5 hours, I guessed I've seen a representable portion of the game. if not, all the better, I always stressed that I have not finished the game yet.

I replayed crysis 2 last week with maldos mod and the first few levels in both crysis 1 and 2 offer bigger sections with enemies than crysis 3 does in the first few levels. crysis 2 also offered more ways to move around in these sections. from the getgo they were designed to use the different aspects of the nano suit. thats something I have simply not seen in crysis 3 yet.

I'm on the final mission, having done all the side missions (those don't even take that long as they basically just task you with going somewhere on the map that isn't on the critical path and then picking something up) and it's taken me over 7 hours with a few deaths.

This is not a 5 hour game.

And the opening level is very underwhelming, but almost every level after that (especially the last one) is significantly larger than those in C2. The train depot is small but that's not the average encounter.

I think the entire Dam section is a pretty good metric for level size.

CryptiK

I'm on the final mission, having done all the side missions (those don't even take that long as they basically just task you with going somewhere on the map that isn't on the critical path and then picking something up) and it's taken me over 7 hours with a few deaths.

This is not a 5 hour game.

And the opening level is very underwhelming, but almost every level after that (especially the last one) is significantly larger than those in C2. The train depot is small but that's not the average encounter.

I think the entire Dam section is a pretty good metric for level size.

Main story is roughly 5 hours

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why are people so damn focused on the specific number of hours it takes to complete the game? If the game is of good quality, who cares? Judging a game by that metric is infuriating to me and is exactly the line of thinking that results in heavily padded games.

As with anything, the length of the game will vary from person to person.

Why are people so damn focused on the specific number of hours it takes to complete the game? If the game is of good quality, who cares? Judging a game by that metric is infuriating to me and is exactly the line of thinking that results in heavily padded games.

As with anything, the length of the game will vary from person to person.

Just think it makes the game come off more as an expansion along the lines of Warhead rather than a true sequel when compared to the length of 1/2. I certainly don't mind if they're fluff free, quality hours but given I thought Crysis 1 and 2 were really well paced less of a good thing is a bit disappointing. Suppose I'll see soon enough(damn you intkeys, damn you cheap self not using GMG)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just think it makes the game come off more as an expansion along the lines of Warhead rather than a true sequel when compared to the length of 1/2. I certainly don't mind if they're fluff free, quality hours but given I thought Crysis 1 and 2 were really well paced less of a good thing is a bit disappointing. Suppose I'll see soon enough(damn you intkeys, damn you cheap self not using GMG)
Warhead felt cheap, though. The cutscenes were super low budget affairs with very poor animation compared to Crysis 1 and a heavy reliance on black screens with radio chatter at points. It lacked the production values that you'd expect from a sequel. In addition, it basically re-used the setting from Crysis 1 with very little change (other than TOD settings).

Crysis 3 presents a very different looking landscape from any previous game in the series and features the highest quality animation in the series to date. It doesn't look anything like an expansion in that sense.

I jumped into the game when it unlocked at midnight (EST) last night.
Prior to playing the game i had been reading a lot of post about poor performance... and honestly, i haven't noticed it.

2600K @ 4.4GHZ, MSI N670 Power Edition at 1300 MHz (core) and 3602 MHz (vram). Granted i only played for an hour (through the first level) but at 1680x1050 the game seemed perfectly smooth. Everything is set on very high except shadows which are on high. 2xSMAA.

I didn't notice any of the huge performance hits from the rain against windows (which i'd read was a big problem). I did not have MSI afterburners OCD displaying the fps, so i don't actually know what my frames per second were, BUT ignorant of the truth, the game was very smooth.

Was there perhaps a day 1 patch it unlocked? Perhaps the lower resolution i'm running at (my monitors has 1:1 hardware scaling) is preventing me from hitting a Vram limit? I dunno how to explain it, but the game is playing beautifully.

Early impressions:
-The graphics are amazing. The screenshots people are posting are certainly great, but you NEED to see this game in motion. It is unreal.
-The weapons feel very good. Definitely and improvement over Crysis 2. They feel tighter, and the weapon sounds are a bit more sharp (better).
-The bow is a lot of fun, but seems overpowered.
-The story so far is... whatever... Psycho packed on some pounds, too many fish and chips i suppose.

Zeth

Fuck everyone, multiplayer is a good time. Loving it so far. I think I'm in or near the last quarter of the campaign, story is garbage but gameplay is fun. Better than Crysis 2 which I played for the first time a couple weeks ago. I'd assign an 8+ score to my overall experience so far. Of course having a new PC makes it all the more desirable. Looks incredible.

I'm getting solid performance at 1080P too. Gtx 680 @ 1260mhz, 3570k @ 4.2. Actually I think it looks cleaner and runs similarly when I bump up the res to downsample and just use FXAA. Bigger framerate dips, but it looks super nice. edit: there's a thread for this, oops

2560x1440 + 1xSMAA at max settings = holy fucking shit this game looks good

System specs?

Early impressions:
-The graphics are amazing. The screenshots people are posting are certainly great, but you NEED to see this game in motion. It is unreal.
-The weapons feel very good. Definitely and improvement over Crysis 2. They feel tighter, and the weapon sounds are a bit more sharp (better).
-The bow is a lot of fun, but seems overpowered.
-The story so far is... whatever... Psycho packed on some pounds, too many fish and chips i suppose.

This was how C2 was for me. All the screenshots were just sort of "meh" for me but when I finally fired it up and saw it in motion maxed out with the MaldoHD textures, my jaw dropped.

Cryengine in motion is completely different than seeing still shots of it. Games like witcher 2 or Skyrim which both look incredible in their own right don't have such a stark contrast of what it feels like to experience it in motion vs looking at high rest screenshots.

KKRT00

I've just started level 3 and i already have 2:06h counted in Crysis 3 menu and i've played more than that.
AI is very good, but Stealth is so overpowered that i sometimes feel sorry for CELL that they dont have more tools at their disposal. Train Level with Stalkers is the best designed level i've ever played in FPS, what a pity that Stalkers are so easy, even though they move amazingly. I hope that there will be more Stalkers in future levels, but combined with other alien units, so i wont have so free farm on them with Stealth and bow.
I'm playing on Supersoldier difficulty so 4th out of 5.

Is this correct?.

First preload game, put origin in offline mode
Download flyvpn, open origin (still in offline mode) unlock game then leave origin in offline mode until it's officially released.

Once it's unlocked can I turn off the VPN software?

ttocs

For anyone who has started playing Crysis 3, I think I'm stuck or found a bug or something. When you enter 'New York 2.0' and are being fired upon by that big tower, you have to check the weapon caches. Eventually, you find an alien weapon and have to take out the tower guns. I'm able to take out the right and center gun but for some reason the left tower gun - I can't destroy it. Nothing happens when I shoot it. Anyone run into this issue? I'm playing on PC.

Edit: I guess it was a bug. I exited out of the game, got back in and it all of a sudden started working. Just a heads up in case this happens to anyone else.

Phinor

I'm a bit lost with VPN. Specifically, Origin does not stay in offline mode no matter what tricks I try. Simply put, if I put Origin offline, re-start Origin (either using autologging or manually logging in), it's always back in online mode (which automatically locks Crysis 3).

I don't remember it being this hard with BF3 and others.

scitek

I'm a bit lost with VPN. Specifically, Origin does not stay in offline mode no matter what tricks I try. Simply put, if I put Origin offline, re-start Origin (either using autologging or manually logging in), it's always back in online mode (which automatically locks Crysis 3).

I don't remember it being this hard with BF3 and others.

You use the VPN, start Origin, let the game unlock, then go into offline mode.

Metal-Geo

Login without an internet connection.

Yeah it's silly, but it'll force Origin into offline mode. You can turn back on your internet connection once Origin is fully booted. And it should stay in offline mode until you either click "online mode" or login again with an internet connection.

Ricker

My x51 with my little Nvidia 640 gt is crying, 360 version get!

Looks pretty good on the 360 but there's some pretty weird skips,even the sound sometimes skips for a second,a little annoying...I am installing it to the HDD now to see if that helps...besides that,it runs pretty well,considering all the details(still in the first level with all the rain and lights,pretty nice.

Andrew.

Banned
Does anyone have the PS3 version yet? I'm probably gonna snag this on my lunchbreak, even though I'm feeling a bit weary about it...

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Dayum. Just finished the first level on PC w/high settings. I think we have the first "next gen" game. There's a lot of eye candy being thrown about and it's a definite step up from Crysis 2 - a lot more than people and reviews are letting on imo.

Warhead felt cheap, though. The cutscenes were super low budget affairs with very poor animation compared to Crysis 1 and a heavy reliance on black screens with radio chatter at points. It lacked the production values that you'd expect from a sequel. In addition, it basically re-used the setting from Crysis 1 with very little change (other than TOD settings).

Crysis 3 presents a very different looking landscape from any previous game in the series and features the highest quality animation in the series to date. It doesn't look anything like an expansion in that sense.

That puts it into perspective.

scitek

Ok, I'm now 4+ hrs in and only starting the 4th level. There are a lot if alternate routes in some places to explore and I've been playing without a HUD which leads to a lot of wandering around. Though, if I need to, I can pause the game real quick, hit right in the d-pad, and see a map with the waypoint, my location, etc.

I think I like this game more than Crysis 2. The bow is amazing fun, and my stats show I have a real strong balance of both stealth and armor modes used. Hopefully some of you are enjoying it as much as I am.

Ricker

Well at the rate I am going right now,it will certainly take me more then 5 hours lol...what the hell am I suppose to do in the first City Jungle section with that Tower and the caches numbnuts is shouting out at me...the Tower eventually sees me and the mission fails...I barely have time crouched in stealth mode to not get detected...also can I have a freakin single player game without of a dumb sergeant shouting as my AI co-op partner,jesus,so annoying.

And the nanosuit upgrade menu and the way to get to it is awful on the 360,took me 10 minutes to make it work the first time...graphics in the city jungle are amazing though...

KKRT00

Well at the rate I am going right now,it will certainly take me more then 5 hours lol...what the hell am I suppose to do in the first City Jungle section with that Tower and the caches numbnuts is shouting out at me...the Tower eventually sees me and the mission fails...I barely have time crouched in stealth mode to not get detected...also can I have a freakin single player game without of a dumb sergeant shouting as my AI co-op partner,jesus,so annoying.

And the nanosuit upgrade menu and the way to get to it is awful on the 360,took me 10 minutes to make it work the first time...graphics in the city jungle are amazing though...

Hide behind trains to recover energy for stealth.

--
Ok, I'm now 4+ hrs in and only starting the 4th level. There are a lot if alternate routes in some places to explore and I've been playing without a HUD which leads to a lot of wandering around. Though, if I need to, I can pause the game real quick, hit right in the d-pad, and see a map with the waypoint, my location, etc.

I think I like this game more than Crysis 2. The bow is amazing fun, and my stats show I have a real strong balance of both stealth and armor modes used. Hopefully some of you are enjoying it as much as I am.

Not only bow is amazing, alternative ammo's are great too. Just in last mission i've discovered that pistol can shot with explosive ammo and i have a blast with it :)
I'm also playing without a hud and probably in few days i'll record playthrough of one mission in several ways, just to show some people thats not only graphical benchmark, but can be very fun sandbox shooter too.

Zeth

Anyone else playing MP? I'm warming up to the Typhoon, with the FY7 as my fallback outfitted with Reflex+Foregrip+RapidFire. Hunters Mode is really fun, but I've been having fun in all of the modes.

Moff

I am pretty sure I have seen more than half of the game by now. 7h on post human, dying a lot.
levels have certainly improved, some of them you can easily call huge. they're probably bigger and more complex than the ones of crysis 1.

still I am missing something, I just cant point at it. overall its an enjoyable experience but there are some things I hate, some design desicions I dont agree with and could have improved the game easily if solved otherwise.

1. the bow is still too strong, you get too much arrows for it. and although I enjoy recollecting them, it makes the game too easy. killing enemies from range always stealthed is just a gamebreaker. I am not sure if this happens only with later enemies, but sometimes you cant recollect the arrow from them. it should be like this all the time with all enemies. no arrow recollecting, it makes the game too easy. although this kind of balances out later in the game, there are simply too many enemies in too big enviroments.

2. still, the tagging thorugh walls. its just lazy and boring. brining myself into a position to scan the are and all hostiles should be a vital part of the game. here I can just sit in a hole and scan everything, boring.

3. the respasn is terrible. and based on the level and from what direction you approached the objective they can spawn directly behind you. although I am not sure what triggers the respawn, sometimes I think its time, sometimes an alert and sometimes approaching and objective. I am fine with the alert, but the other respawns really suck. these enemies should simply be on the map in the first place. but the probably realized that you can too easily sit in a corner, tag everyone and let everyone walk in your machingune. which lead to point 4.

4. the AI is really abysmal sometimes. i dont really get that, I think far cry and crysis had some of the best AI around, but how enemies react on things you do when your stealthed is just really dumb. and on the other hand they still spot you from miles away the second you lose stealth, and as soon as you drop an enemy all of them seem to be alertd. this is kind of logical since they radio check regularly, but its far too punishing and actually only encourages "ghosting" through the levels witthout any encounter.

this sounds worse than it is though, i enjoy the game so far, I played mostly stealth until now but I have created a second set of upgrades by now with some strenght/melee/armor stuff an I am having a blast. all in all the game looks and feels really good. and I recommend to play it on post human, thats definitely how its supposed to be and you wont run thrugh in 5 hours either.

Probably picking this up on Thursday but my PC is running an i5-2500k OC'd to 4.5 ghz, 8GB RAM and a GTX 560 ti 448 cores Classified.

What should I expect? Or just save my money on something else.

kinggroin

Banned
Call me crazy but the AI in friggin Turok 2 N64 appears more complex that what's on show here. I may have to go back to it, but I don't recall the enemies being this stupid in the first game.

So is there a point to doing the side missions? Do they have any kind of impact?

Call me crazy but the AI in friggin Turok 2 N64 appears more complex that what's on show here. I may have to go back to it, but I don't recall the enemies being this stupid in the first game.

AI in Crysis 2 was awful, it was one of the worst parts of the game. You would be in the middle of a cool scene action wise doing cool suit stuff, and the ai troops would be like... "derp", killing the immersion. C1 had much better AI even if it wasn't that great either.

Jubbly

EA goes for teenagers' pocket change with another 'wonderful' wank-fest PR stunt:

Ashley Roberts suits up in full bodypaint to become lead character Prophet for the launch of new video game Crysis 3, out from 22nd February on Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC
Dancing on Ice judge and ex Pussycat Doll, Ashley Roberts, became the hunter this week, suiting up in the notorious Nanosuit to launch the latest video game release, Crysis 3.

The Nanosuit has become the hero of the Crysis franchise, developed to transform the game’s leading character – Prophet - from mortal to a near-indestructible force challenged with saving mankind. And all within the urban jungle setting of New York City.

Ashley’s suit took a staggering six hours to create, with amazing results, but for anyone looking to get to grips with the game without all the legwork, Crysis 3 will be available on Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC from Friday 22nd February.

X9LqFgt.jpg
hSYBHTp.jpg

Top Bottom