• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

I loled at this little guy:

I love little details like this (and all the wildlife going on in this game).

that is awesome!

Also... I think I am on the last level.

First impressions of the game ( I will probably beat some levels multiple times).

The first level looked spectaular but should not have been in the game imo. The stalkers should have way more face time because that part was so tense.
The Dam level is really well constructed and is a great example of what makes crytek games great when they do it right.

The last levels are really large so far... but! I fee l like some of the space is actually unnecesaary and not driven in the same way it should be for it be considered useful and necessary.

Take for example the level the Town from crysis 1. You go into a valley floor and can attack a town with tons of troops from all sides. The second last level had this kind of.. but kind of not. Do not want to be spoilerific for those otehrwise here.

More comments after I beat it.

Vitor711

that is awesome!

Also... I think I am on the last level.

First impressions of the game ( I will probably beat some levels multiple times).

The first level looked spectaular but should not have been in the game imo. The stalkers should have way more face time because that part was so tense.
The Dam level is really well constructed and is a great example of what makes crytek games great when they do it right.

The last levels are really large so far... but! I fee l like some of the space is actually unnecesaary and not driven in the same way it should be for it be considered useful and necessary.

Take for example the level the Town from crysis 1. You go into a valley floor and can attack a town with tons of troops from all sides. The second last level had this kind of.. but kind of not. Do not want to be spoilerific for those otehrwise here.

More comments after I beat it.

Totally agree. I even really liked the outdoor levels that led up to the damn section, even if some weren't as open as they could have been. The stalkers are amazing though and that small section was a better Alien's game than Colonial Marines.

The last few levels are weirdly spaced though. They're big, but they don't have the same level of variety of approaches that Crysis 1 had. It's just not enough to have wide open spaces when there's nothing to take advantage of that. You're pretty much forced to use a (badly controlling) vehicle and there aren't enough enemies to make the long treks between objectives any fun.

Veal

Its a 700x350px gif from a recording of a Cryengine 3 demonstration which even has a XYZ-Slider in it.
How can you tell something about the art?
(funny note: halo 3 actually had similar water effects)

Even funnier note: Metroid Prime 1 had water effects like that! (original Gamecube version)

I played a few hours last night and even though I loved C1 and C2 I just can't get into this one. It's the level design I think, it never feels all that open even compared to C2. All the ledges and verticality don't really make anything feel more fun to me. Also I know C2's story and writing got shat on but Gould and Hargreave made for better 'voices in your ear" than anyone in this game. Also I'm not finding the bow all that much fun to use unlike the bow in Far Cry 3. All in all I'm just vaguely disappointed, I guess I'll finish it out but I'm not having all that good of a time. =\

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh my golly gosh this game looks pretty.

cry1fcot3.png

cry2wup8w.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Your settings, please?

Those were a bit of digital tourism running at a ludicriously low ~15 - 20fps. Everything maxed to Very High, 2560x1440 downsampled to 1920x1080, with SMAA at very high. At that resolution I literally cannot use any MSAA. My video card crashes as it's in sub single frames per second.

scitek

I figured out what the configurator was doing to cause my framerate to drop as opposed to in-game Very High, if you choose SSDO, it sets SSAO to 2 for some reason. I changed my config to force SSAO to 0 and SSDO to 2 and it runs and looks much better.

crysis32013-02-2111-0cbcpl.png

Psycho's an emotional guy, who knew?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Holy shit I'm loving the multiplayer. Sure it's like Crysis 2, but its much more solid, and I can actually join a game quickly with a much higher success rate. Yea, its to be expected these days, but you couldn't say the same about 2 around launch time.

Gameplay is so frantic, fast and fluid. I've been destroying people with the semi auto rifle/assault scope, it's awesome at long range and decent at close. The maps are pretty ingenious too, great mix of open areas and CQC with places to scale, perch, and ground slam on unsuspecting opponents below, good lines of sight, everything just feels pretty balanced to me.

Played C3 at my friends the other day.

C3 MP advantages

Much better netcode for those who have never tweaked their own pc
Guns are much better and the recoil/weight of them is more consistent to rely upon
Suit perks and more streamlined with better balance
Penetration glitches are less and you can actually shoot through the obvious, less invisible barriers on mp levels as well.

I'm still out on the maps cause I played some good ones on C2 and well there is no expansion map set that people can get in to.

Gbraga

Does MaLDo autoexec enables caustic?

I tried it out yesterday and didn't notice any difference when you first arrive in NY, but the game runs better.

Those were a bit of digital tourism running at a ludicriously low ~15 - 20fps. Everything maxed to Very High, 2560x1440 downsampled to 1920x1080, with SMAA at very high. At that resolution I literally cannot use any MSAA. My video card crashes as it's in sub single frames per second.

I think I can get locked 30 downsampling, but I just can't stand 30fps anymore :(

nOoblet16

I'm not very happy with the performance. I don't quite understand why a scene like this which has nothing but just a bunch of box and lockers should run at 20FPS on a GTX580 and Core i7 970 (@max settings and 1080p). Something is definitely wrong if I get the same performance indoors as I do outdoors with tons of alpha and cast landscapes !

Another thing which I don't get is why the framerate is like pseudo locked (and I don't think my setup is double buffered), even when there's almost nothing on screen like when staring at a wall it will run at 20-30FPS, this shouldn't happen as it should shoot up to as high as possible because there's nothing being rendered. Even if I drop the resolution down to 1600*900 I see no improvements at all in framerate in most cases, not even 1 frame.

Ricker

Wow,game is good but it has some of the worst vehicule controls and aiming view ever...and that big open area I am now is confusing hehe...you look at the distance marker(there like 3 of them for the same primary mission) but it can show you some place on the other side of a wall or area you can't really reach without making a big detour...and sometimes there is tons of stuff the visor lets you see to the point that it makes the screen really busy with icons all over hehe...

KKRT00

Another thing which I don't get is why the framerate is like pseudo locked (and I don't think my setup is double buffered), even when there's almost nothing on screen like when staring at a wall it will run at 20-30FPS, this shouldn't happen as it should shoot up to as high as possible because there's nothing being rendered. Even if I drop the resolution down to 1600*900 I see no improvements at all in framerate in most cases, not even 1 frame.
Turn off v-sync and change drivers. I have better framerate here than You on GTX 560.
BTW what AA setting are You using?

---
Footage in launch trailer looks awesome, dat NanosuitNinja gameplay :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fJDmP2crAlk

BTW havent they changed lighting in one of the levels?

Gbraga

Turn off v-sync and change drivers. I have better framerate here than You on GTX 560.

---

This is so awesome!

Some people complain that it doesn't fit the tone of the story, but it sure as hell reflects pretty well the way you feel (or at least felt in the first game) when using the nanosuit to its full potential.

Grisby

MP is pretty fun. The menus are a little bit more busier than I remember them being in Crysis 2 but the core stuff is still good. Runs at a smoother clip too I think. The highlights kill cam deal at the end is cool and actually works.

Favorite kill so far was picking up some sort of grate thing and tossing it at a dude, instantly slaying him.

FACE

Banned

Probably running out of vRAM.

nOoblet16

---

The first thing I tried was to turn of V sync, because I thought it was being double buffered. No change whatsoever, I'm using SMAA high so the performance impact shouldn't be anything to talk about. I'm very very confused, the game should NOT dip below 30FPS this much on my hardware eventhough I'm playing on max at 1080p...let alone even talk of it running at 20.

Will try new drivers now

Ricker

About to boot this up on 360.

How hard is the game? Is the highest difficulty a major pain in the ass?

I am playing on the equivalent of normal(Soldier I think it is) and it's pretty easy so far...if you stealth a lot,especially with the Bow to help you clear some paths(it doesnt have much ammo but you stay cloaked)and if you leave the assist aiming that snaps you right on the target when you come in and out of Iron sight,you are pretty much invicible hehe...I ran out of ammo once also(about 5 hours in)...

When I finish on normal,I will try it on hard.something I rarely do...

I am playing on the equivalent of normal(Soldier I think it is) and it's pretty easy so far...if you stealth a lot,especially with the Bow to help you clear some paths(it doesnt have much ammo but you stay cloaked)and if you leave the assist aiming that snaps you right on the target when you come in and out of Iron sight,you are pretty much invicible hehe...I ran out of ammo once also(about 5 hours in)...

When I finish on normal,I will try it on hard.something I rarely do...

Thanks. I started on hard. Just finished the first chapter. Seems easily manageable so far. As you'd expect, you just have a little less health.

nOoblet16

The water caustic effect is so stupidly overdone, it's very bright and occurs everywhere regardless of you being in a very dark area with no lights at all (in which case the caustics appear to be the brightest thing around) or in a brightly lit area like directly under the sun.

Dave_6

---

That is a pretty awesome ad. Wonder what the specs of their rig are?

Just a few more components and mine will be done and I can see how bad it's going to run this game :/

Grisby

Man, just had three great moments in a mutliplayer session.

1) Guy was halfway across a gorge and shot me but not before I hit him with a lamp pole, instantly killing him.

2) I climbed into the VTOL that just flies around the map for the first time. Mounted a heavy gun and just mowed dudes down. I don't think they knew you could shoot it.

3) Killed a dude and had another pick up my trail and open fire. I sprinted and jumped into a water canal. A moment later he followed and we had a suit fistfight underwater (of which I was victorious).

Really fun stuff man. I think this might be where my $60 enjoyment comes from. Lots of pop in on the maps on the 360 but it runs at a smoother rate than campaign. Also, I still think they look great.

Grisby

MP is amazing fun. I just wish I could skip/disable the killcam.
I like the highlight cam. Killcam goes by so fast I dont really notice it.

I wish this had some sort of saved film deal on consoles. Would have loved to save that underwater battle. It was so silly.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Hmmm I enjoyed Crysis 2 MP, but it didn't have that much longevity to it, surprised at how much people like this one's MP. Need to check it out over the weekend.

scitek

I'm almost done with the SP now. I think, from beginning to end, this is the most consistent game in the series as far as pacing and overall fun factor is concerned. The highs of the first game were never really captured again, but that was honestly about 2 levels worth of the game for me, which is why I've only completed that one twice. I've found 3 to be better than 2 in practically every way, and the bow is seriously one of my favorite weapons ever. Pinning guys to walls is the shit.

Also, I think playing it maxed on PC heightens the experience a good bit. It's just so ridiculously good-looking.

Moff

after 8 hours on post human, I am pretty much at the end of the game now.
I gotta say, I really really like it now. level size did not take a step towards crysis 1 though. it took a huge leap towards crysis 1, some levels are much much bigger than the ones in crysis 1. really huge.
they definitely listened to the fans on this one after crysis 2. and the setting is really really beautiful, artwise too.

I kind of miss the whole playground aspect though, as someone else said, in crysis 1 you just had a town in the middle and several ways of attacking it from all sides. crysis 2 also accomplished that, but on a smaller scale. this might seem kind of unfair though, because they are definitely bases like that in multiple levels, but the feeling just didnt get me this time, maybe its just me.

another thing I'd like to add to my list of flaws is that some of the huge levels later in the game do not have enemies at all in them.

I passed a section yesterday where I would drive through a huge section with my buggy, with no enemies, just to confront some cell troopers on a linear, small and narrow bridge right after. wtf? I really dont get that. there have been several situations like this. I really hope there will be mods that fill those levels with more enemies.

but the game is goddamn spectacular, really liking what I'm seeing towards the end so far, feels really epic and plays great. I like it.

Dimorphic

I have a $10 off code for Origin valid until Sunday Feb 24 from EA Australia to whoever wants it.

It may only work in the Aussie Origin store though, I'm not sure.

224R8PP7AJB359

scitek

Beat it. Played through entirely with the HUD off, save for one part where the game's only QTE doesn't appear without it lol. Finished with 48% completion rate, and I made it last 11 hrs. Ended up being a pretty good length. Glad I didn't rush through.

JaxJag

Banned
This game seems to be a huge flop on the 360.

Earlier today there was like 50k people ranked on the leaderboard... truly sad considering the multiplayer is quite good.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
For those of you who have finished it, did the performance get much worse than the first stage or did it more or less stay at that level throughout?

Eideka

Banned
For those of you who have finished it, did the performance get much worse than the first stage or did it more or less stay at that level throughout?

GTX670, very high/1080p/SMAA low here and the beginning of the game is by far the most demanding section, I nearly finished it and I can confirm that my framerate is definitely higher.

Top Bottom