• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
For those of you who have finished it, did the performance get much worse than the first stage or did it more or less stay at that level throughout?
Yeah, the first stage actually IS the most demanding.

I switched from a 580 to a 680 and tested it on both and neither one could maintain a smooth framerate at Very High. The 680 allowed all details except for shading to be at Very High, however, but that's with a limit of 30 fps. Heck, that one room right before you get the bow STILL bogged down. I can't believe how demanding it is.

I'd love to play the game at 60 fps but it just doesn't seem possible without turning everything to low (and even then there are dips). Still, it definitely starts to run smoother as you move out into the more open spaces (oddly enough). The areas where the game is most demanding are often surprising. I'm stuck with SMAA. I actually LOVE TXAA (screw the haters), but it hurts performance enough to make it difficult to use.

I tried to match those downsampled "bullshots" posted in the other thread and was met with ~15 fps. :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
GTX670, very high/1080p/SMAA low here and the beginning of the game is by far the most demanding section, I nearly finished it and I can confirm that my framerate is definitely higher.

Yeah, the first stage actually IS the most demanding.

I switched from a 580 to a 680 and tested it on both and neither one could maintain a smooth framerate at Very High. The 680 allowed all details except for shading to be at Very High, however, but that's with a limit of 30 fps. Heck, that one room right before you get the bow STILL bogged down. I can't believe how demanding it is.

I'd love to play the game at 60 fps but it just doesn't seem possible without turning everything to low (and even then there are dips). Still, it definitely starts to run smoother as you move out into the more open spaces (oddly enough). The areas where the game is most demanding are often surprising. I'm stuck with SMAA. I actually LOVE TXAA (screw the haters), but it hurts performance enough to make it difficult to use.

I tried to match those downsampled "bullshots" posted in the other thread and was met with ~15 fps. :(

I see thanks. Seems like it's going to be the first game in a while I'll be playing at native res although unlike C2, C3 seem to have decent AA solutions.

Even playing the 360 version last night I noticed this. It felt like it was running at 25fps for a lot of that first level, and then once I got outside it felt like it was 30fps most of the time.

For me the first stage isnt actually that demanding. It just fr no reason cuts my FPS in half due to a lack of GPU utilization... I have no idea what is doing it. Somethng in the level cuts GPU utilization...

I've got to agree with those who have pointed out how few enemies there seem to be at times. It truly is rather odd, and quite frankly it's hurting the experience.

For example, you get outside for the first time and you've got this amazing setting with the city, and tall grass, etc. All I ever encountered were small pockets of enemies. 2 here, 4 here, 3 here.

Even when you've alerted them, why the hell don't they bring two helicopters in and have troopers zip lining down to confront you? You feel like a badass in this game, but they don't give you enough to exert your baddassery over.

At least that's how I feel near the end of the second chapter.

scitek

I see thanks. Seems like it's going to be the first game in a while I'll be playing at native res although unlike C2, C3 seem to have decent AA solutions.

I used this config - which is max settings, but I used the configurator to turn off radial blur in explosions - and was able to play at a locked 30fps @1080p using 4xSMAA with only a couple of dips during one part when things got really busy
boss fight

Code:
r_ssdo = 2
r_motionblur = 2
r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed = 0.0024
cl_fov = 63
r_DrawNearFov = 63
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov = 65
g_SkipIntro = 1
r_colorgrading = 0
r_chromaticaberration = 0
hud_hide = 1
sys_maxfps = 30

; AUTOGENERATED CONFIGURATION BELOW HERE

; Particle Motion Blur
e_ParticlesMotionBlur = 1
; Tessellation
e_Tessellation = 1
; Pixel Accurate Displacement Maps
r_SilhouettePOM = 1
; Real-time Volumetric Cloud Shadows
r_FogShadows = 1
; Screen-space Reflections
r_SSReflections = 3
; Explosion Blur
g_radialBlur = 0
; Depth of Field
r_DepthOfField = 2
; Force Soft Particles
e_ParticlesForceSoftParticles = 1
; Water Ocean Tessellation
r_WaterTessellationHW = 1
; Color Grading
r_ColorGrading = 0
; Particle Collisions
e_ParticlesObjectCollisions = 2
; Sharpening
r_Sharpening = 0
; Texture Pool Size (MB)
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize = 1024
; LOD distance ratio
e_LodRatio = 40
; View distance ratio (Vegetation)
e_ViewDistRatioVegetation = 100
; Chromatic Aberration
r_ChromaticAberration = 0
; Ambient Occlusion Method
r_ssao = 0
; View distance ratio (General)
e_ViewDistRatio = 100
; View distance ratio (Detail)
e_ViewDistRatioDetail = 100
; Sun Shadow Map Size
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes = 1024
; Shadow Pool Size
e_ShadowsPoolSize = 4096
; Grass Instance Animation Distance
e_MergedMeshesInstanceDist = 8
; Shadow Casting Light Scale
e_ShadowsResScale = 40

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I used this config - which is max settings, but I used the configurator to turn off radial blur in explosions - and was able to play at a locked 30fps @1080p using 4xSMAA with only a couple of dips during one part when things got really busy
boss fight

Cheers. Is that stuff just plugged into an autoexec.cfg or do you need that c3 cvar config tool?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Game is always stopping and locking at 30fps, except for random areas where it boosts back up to 60 and then goes back down to 30. Any help?

Gbraga

Game is always stopping and locking at 30fps, except for random areas where it boosts back up to 60 and then goes back down to 30. Any help?

Turn off in-game Vsync and force triple buffering (or just play with vsync off, which is what I'm doing)

Yes, the multiplayer gets my heart pounding in this game, that's when I know I'm hooked. It's sneaking into my top 3 fps mp's of this gen along with Halo 3 and Battlefield 3. Seriously, if you haven't tried it out, everything about it is great.

The regular killcams are still jacked and there aren't as many new weapons as I'd like, but it's surprisingly balanced and the guns all have their specific purposes. Maps look great, have a lot of environmental variety and the parkour makes you feel like you're actually interacting with your surroundings.

The stats and the challenges are well done, the suit upgrades are slightly nerfed from Crysis 2, although now you can use any combination of 3 you want rather than having to choose 1 per category. The killstreaks are sensible, in game weapon attachment changes is great. Bow is useful but not overly powerful; one shot kill if it's to the head or chest, 2 shot otherwise, although I think range and draw power have something to do wtih it as well.

There's still a fairly steep learning curve here, even though some things have been simplified. A call of duty or halo player shouldn't expect to jump in and get a good kill/death ratio right away. Mine is about a 1.7 and I played a good bit of Crysis 2.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Turn off in-game Vsync and force triple buffering (or just play with vsync off, which is what I'm doing)

Ingame v-sync, use d3doverrider instead.

Shit I guessed it was VSync haha. Gotta get D3D then... it shouldnt have problems with the guru3d oc tool from Gigabyte right? The card has 2gb of VRam, hope it doesnt bog it down. Thanks a million guys.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Even when you've alerted them, why the hell don't they bring two helicopters in and have troopers zip lining down to confront you? You feel like a badass in this game, but they don't give you enough to exert your baddassery over.

At least that's how I feel near the end of the second chapter.
Don't worry, things do pick up.

Honestly, I kind of enjoyed that bit of serenity. Felt as if you were sneaking into the place. You fight through the action packed rainy tanker area and then emerge to a relatively unguarded area inside the dome. You only have minimal defenses setup and a few enemies scattered about. I loved that.

Once you get to the dam, though, you'll be flooded with enemies.

Don't worry, things do pick up.

Honestly, I kind of enjoyed that bit of serenity. Felt as if you were sneaking into the place. You fight through the action packed rainy tanker area and then emerge to a relatively unguarded area inside the dome. You only have minimal defenses setup and a few enemies scattered about. I loved that.

Once you get to the dam, though, you'll be flooded with enemies.

Sounds good. Looking forward to things picking up again.

It really is remarkable what they're pulling off on the 360 in this game. Even the water effects from the PC version are mimicked in the 360 version to good effect. Might be the best water I've seen on a console.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
cry18gq24.png

cry2tmqaf.png

ironcreed

Banned
Beat it last night and thought it was pretty weak overall.
Especially the later parts with the driving and flying sections. It just felt a bit uninspired to me. "RAHHH! See what I can do, you son of a bitch!"
However, it did look pretty good on occasion on the 360. The character models were especially impressive.

Moff

finished it on post human. origins tells me it took me 11 hours.
all in all a very satisfying crysis experience.
but like all crysis games, it would have the potential for so much more. just one example: why are there no invisible enemies you need to use your nano vision to detect? they even did that in far cry...

I can understand why some ciritics said this is the best crysis, its not for me though, that would still be number one.
I am also glad that all three crysis games feel different, although they all base on the same formula.

for me, the crysis franchise provided 3 of the top 10 shooters of the last ten years and I am looking forward to a next gen sequel.

finished it on post human. origins tells me it took me 11 hours.
all in all a very satisfying crysis experience.
but like all crysis games, it would have the potential for so much more. just one example: why are there no invisible enemies you need to use your nano vision to detect? they even did that in far cry...

I can understand why some ciritics said this is the best crysis, its not for me though, that would still be number one.
I am also glad that all three crysis games feel different, although they all base on the same formula.

for me, the crysis franchise provided 3 of the top 10 shooters of the last ten years and I am looking forward to a next gen sequel.

Super increidbly important.

Where are the invisible enemies that run around the environement and challenge you?

It would have been rridiculously fun.

So much waster potential for gameplay in the crysis series sometimes. Their gunplay, movement, and combat has all the potential to make some of the best games ever.. but usually enemy variety and level design kind of shits all over it.

This game though (i am on the last level), is much better than crysis 2.

JB1981

Anyone playing this on the 360? I am thinking of picking the game up. I enjoyed Crysis 2 SP quite a bit and was very impressed with the gameplay and graphics.

Zeth

Yes, the multiplayer gets my heart pounding in this game, that's when I know I'm hooked. It's sneaking into my top 3 fps mp's of this gen along with Halo 3 and Battlefield 3. Seriously, if you haven't tried it out, everything about it is great.

The regular killcams are still jacked and there aren't as many new weapons as I'd like, but it's surprisingly balanced and the guns all have their specific purposes. Maps look great, have a lot of environmental variety and the parkour makes you feel like you're actually interacting with your surroundings.

The stats and the challenges are well done, the suit upgrades are slightly nerfed from Crysis 2, although now you can use any combination of 3 you want rather than having to choose 1 per category. The killstreaks are sensible, in game weapon attachment changes is great. Bow is useful but not overly powerful; one shot kill if it's to the head or chest, 2 shot otherwise, although I think range and draw power have something to do wtih it as well.

There's still a fairly steep learning curve here, even though some things have been simplified. A call of duty or halo player shouldn't expect to jump in and get a good kill/death ratio right away. Mine is about a 1.7 and I played a good bit of Crysis 2.

I'm loving MP too. First MP FPS I've played in a long while. I've put almost 10 hours in already. Still haven't finished the campaign, though I think I'm on the final mission.

Love Maneuverability + Phantom, lots of fun combinations. Also, protip: Gauss Sabot sniper is the AWP of Cell vs Rebel mode. One shot kills all day, my KD is ~3.0 with it :p In closer quarters maps, slap on the reflex site and go to town. Assault scope works well for medium/long too. Recently unlocked Alpha Jackal is good fun with the dashing ninja perks as well.

KKRT00

just one example: why are there no invisible enemies you need to use your nano vision to detect? they even did that in far cry...

What is strange that they had those enemies in Crysis 2, at the very end, the whole 3 of them ... I was literally WTF, why they havent used them more and now knowing that they arent in Crysis 3 is disappointing at least ;\

Damn, i need to stop playing PoE and finally finish this game :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The lack of invisible enemies is really just more evidence that Crytek can't get their shit together when making a shooter. It's like they've got all these ideas but struggle to put them together into a tightly designed experience.

One of the biggest issues I'm having with Crysis 3 is that despite going back to Crysis-like level size (to some degree) there's also a lot of pointless fluff and dead ends. Crysis at least masqueraded its linearity with the illusion of open environments that still bottlenecked you towards set pieces and objectives. Crysis 3 has these impressively massive areas (eg: bottom of the dam) that hardly used. The encounters aren't very interesting nor challenging, and are too easily broken with cloak + bow, or distant sniping.

Crytek games have a tendency to feel disconnected to me. Like a level designer built a pretty map, modellers and animators made a bunch of weapons and enemies, and programmers coded functions and AI, and then they all just...squished it together.

-SD-

Banned
Crytek games have a tendency to feel disconnected to me. Like a level designer built a pretty map, modellers and animators made a bunch of weapons and enemies, and programmers coded functions and AI, and then they all just...squished it together.
I only feel that way about Crysis 2. It's a mess. Haven't played C3 yet.

Far Cry, Crysis and Warhead on the other hand are perfect FPS entertainment.

How are you enjoying the game? How is it, performance-wise, compared to Crysis 2? I thought Crysis 2 was pretty spectacular on 360.

I'm only about 20% done, so this is an early opinion.

Performance wise it feels comparable to the previous game on 360. It looks great considering the hardware.

If you liked Crysis 2 I'd say it's definitely worth a look.

scitek

The lack of invisible enemies is really just more evidence that Crytek can't get their shit together when making a shooter. It's like they've got all these ideas but struggle to put them together into a tightly designed experience.

One of the biggest issues I'm having with Crysis 3 is that despite going back to Crysis-like level size (to some degree) there's also a lot of pointless fluff and dead ends. Crysis at least masqueraded its linearity with the illusion of open environments that still bottlenecked you towards set pieces and objectives. Crysis 3 has these impressively massive areas (eg: bottom of the dam) that hardly used. The encounters aren't very interesting nor challenging, and are too easily broken with cloak + bow, or distant sniping.

I think the lack of invisible enemies is because getting to Nanovision is a pain in the ass with their control scheme. It wouldn't be anything but an exercise in frustration.

I guess I am in the minority. I hated when they do invisible enemies and seems rather gimmicky. If I am not mistaken there were some in Crysis 1 right?

While on the topic of Nano Vision, I do hear "Nano vision enabled" when I use it, whereas I no longer hear "cloak engaged" or "maximum armour". Playing on Supersoldier (PC).

I also noticed that the clouds are not static (they do move across the sky :)) - atleast within the train yard level.

Ricker

How is this game on the ps3 and 360? Of course its as good as the PC version, but as a stand alone product does those versions hold their own?

Absolutly...well on the 360 anyway..it has a few slowdowns at times and the framerate is not a steady 30 but rarely dips below 25 and unless you are really anal about that,it's pretty good and one,if not the,best looking game on the 360...

Top Bottom