• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

Metal-Geo

Whoop whoop. Just finished it after, I estimate, 8 hours of playing. On the second hardest difficulty, with HUD. Died quite a lot. :(

So yeah, as ridiculous as the story gets, I really, really have to compliment Crytek for their astonishing work they did in, apparently, two years. (Although who's to say they didn't start development before Crysis 2 got released?) The amount of details they put in such large scaled maps really surprised. Mainly that 6th map... Gawdayum.

Quite bummed they
barely (never?) mention Nomad though. Y'know, the protagonist of the game that started the franchise. Prophet may have mentioned his name once. Not sure, I didn't have subtitles on. But the fact they used Cupcake's name for the third dogtag was quite ... arbitrary. Also a shame we didn't get a bit more Hargreave. Just like in Crysis 2, Crysis 3 feels loosey connected to the series..

Yeah yeah I know, who plays Crysis for the story? But given how much the game pretty much spits the story constantly into the player's face, it'd be unfair not to criticize it!

Will probably play it again real soon without HUD and/or hardest difficulty. Also having a massive blast playing Hunter. :)

Gbraga

This is actually the first time in my life that I skipped cutscenes on my first playthrough. Am I missing on good stuff? The ones I did watch before I started skipping were horrible.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Made it to the fields, great so far, looks amazing and runs smoother than what I remember from Crysis 2 on 360.

There was a vote to kick me from a mp game just because I had a GAF tag. 5 people voted against me. Someone asked why in chat and this one guy said GAF. Haha

Ricker

Damn,for whatever reason I decided to save this on the cloud save on the 360,I never used it yet and now cloud is down so I can't continue my save...tried moving the save to a USB key but it doesn't work just hangs...I am at the end I am sure,pretty hard section...I hope it's back for the weekend.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why is there a ??? for Crysis 2, the character was Alcatraz

Edit: Nevermind

mr_nothin

Banned
Ok, so I'm a few levels in and is it me or does this game just not look good?
It's a jaggy mess no matter what form of AA I pick. FXAA, SMAA, TXAA, MSAA...none of them get rid of jaggies efficiently. Counterstrike Source with 2x AA looks cleaner than Crysis 3 at 8xMSAA or any of the other forms of AA. Even at 2880x1620, there's still jaggies.

The textures only look good when you're really close. It just doesnt look that great to me. The characters' faces look great but everything else just falls flat. The performance does not match up with the actual visuals on screen and it's weird.

When Crysis 1 was release, it LOOKED like I should be getting 30fps. Crysis 3 looks pretty much like Crysis 2.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So does the level design in this allow for all the cool improvised craziness you could do in the first game? Like this:

iN8T6qypAcLbS.gif

Cause the second game sure as shit didn't and this looks a lot like the second one.

Telaso

Banned
I finally have time to start playing this game, and so far I'm impressed with how smooth it looks when playing after I found good settings.

Its probably blasphemes to say, but the sweet spot is around 48-52 fps for me. I found that TXAA makes everything seem much smoother than SMAA has, so using that at 4x. Very High on everything else except post processing, which I put on Medium. It had nothing different I could notice from medium to very high, but gave me 20 fps back.

For the heck of it I maxxed everything out, and took some screenshots at 3200x1800 but the area I did it in looks bad.

Glad I'm finally making use of the two stupid 680s I bought. I regret nothing!

Blizzard

Banned
So does the level design in this allow for all the cool improvised craziness you could do in the first game? Like this:

iN8T6qypAcLbS.gif

Cause the second game sure as shit didn't and this looks a lot like the second one.
Why does the guy at the end look at the tank instead of at the player? The player wasn't stealthed right before that, and from what I played of Crysis 1, I thought people would sometimes shoot at me from like half a mile away, especially once any sort of alert went out. Having AI be unaware of your location, especially without looking behind you or checking left/right (that GIF doesn't have any looking around for enemies?) seems easier than I would expect. But then again the player apparently knew the tank would be in that spot so maybe they had played that section and reloaded from a save or something.

Guys I got a problem with r_drawnearfov

It wont change automaticly for me.

I have a autoexec.cfg file and its in there but in game its still the default FOV.

I look in the console and I can see its been written in there but still on default and I have to type it manually each time.

Multiplayer is pretty fun so far, hunter mode is great
Haven't played the single player yet

The developers game type of magnum 1 hit kills is surprisingly addicting . good choice for the weekend

RobbieNick

Just rented this from Redbox because there was nothing else to rent. Also, I didn't care too much for Crysis 1 or 2. That said........WOW! I couldn't stop playing. The gameplay and level design were done miles better IMO, but above all that...the graphics. Who needs Killzone 4 when we got Next Gen right here! I mean, the leveled New York with the grass growing around is was a thing of beauty and you can see every pour in Psycho's face and he was very expressive. Incredible work!

Gbraga

Why does the guy at the end look at the tank instead of at the player? The player wasn't stealthed right before that, and from what I played of Crysis 1, I thought people would sometimes shoot at me from like half a mile away, especially once any sort of alert went out. Having AI be unaware of your location, especially without looking behind you or checking left/right (that GIF doesn't have any looking around for enemies?) seems easier than I would expect. But then again the player apparently knew the tank would be in that spot so maybe they had played that section and reloaded from a save or something.

He played that section tons of times, don't worry, it shouldn't be like that on your first run.

He probably looked at the tank because it exploded, the enemy always check on noises, if I'm not mistaken.

I have a autoexec.cfg file and its in there but in game its still the default FOV.

I look in the console and I can see its been written in there but still on default and I have to type it manually each time.

Same for me. Every new level or every time I die it also goes back to the original, and it's so damn close, if it was just a little less I'd just say fuck it and leave it at that.

KKRT00

Everybody has that problem.

Counterstrike Source with 2x AA looks cleaner than Crysis 3 at 8xMSAA or any of the other forms of AA. Even at 2880x1620, there's still jaggies.

Simple geometry vs complex geometry with a lot sub-pixels and shader aliasing from tons of shaders. The best AA here would be SMAA 4x with 30-50% downsampling to eliminate normal jaggies, sub-pixels and fix shader aliasing.

Distant textures looks, though anisotropic filtering is strange here, but i dont things its problem with filtering, but more with their texture streaming tech. BTW You werent impressed by fields? There is no other game that looks like that section alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fJDmP2crAlk

This is actually the first time in my life that I skipped cutscenes on my first playthrough. Am I missing on good stuff? The ones I did watch before I started skipping were horrible.

Maybe it's my very low expectations talking, but I actually enjoyed some of the story stuff in the middle, at least, it has been more enjoyable than anything in the previous games.

Zeth

Double XP Weekend woop woop!

Cell vs Rebel matches were hilarious and fun for the first few days until everyone realized it meant sniping one hit kills, so now I'm no longer the only one running around with a gauss sniper + reflex sight. TDM can get pretty boring when everyone is camping within 3 meters of their spawn with a bow/sniper. Still having a lot of fun in MP.

edit: Can anyone explain the purpose of the Rifle Laser Sight upgrade in MP? It doesn't seem useful like the way it zooms in SP. When I ADS in MP with it I just see iron sights. Is it some kid of bug or what?

Do the console commands for chromatic abberation and FOV work in multiplayer?

Ricker

Last Boss is bullshit...where do you fire exacly in the second phase...and they had to add a useless QTE mashing button prompt just for the hell out of it...anyway,fun ride till then but I am done,I don't have time to waste on this Boss anymore.

Zemm

This game is far more crysis 1 than it is 2, that's a good thing considering I think C1 is one of the best FPS campaigns ever. Some of the levels are huge, the Dam is amazing. Really impressed by this after crysis 2, a much better game. Just reached "Safeties Off", how far am I? Not many chapters in the menu list :/

VASPER

Banned
SO someone needs to help me, I have been playing through Crysis 3 and i had to go back and play a little of 2. I don't understand the character progress where did Alcatraz go?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bow is so overpowered, scorchers couldnt be easier with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV_wPYk5HrY&feature=youtu.be

Crytek needs new enemy designers. The entire series has issues with enemy diversity, their combat design, and how they're integrated into the levels. They build a bunch of enemy types and then scatter them around these environments and just kinda hope it all works. Usually it doesn't.

It's fun for enough of Crysis because the enemy diversity covered both people and vehicles. That's why levels like Assault and Onslaught stood out. You had grunts with AKs, SMGs, and shotguns, snipers picking you off in open terrain, the odd rocket troop laying down fire, jeeps with mounted machine guns cruising around, a tank or two rolling, anti-air vehicles, and the odd chopper and boat. When levels had a lot going on it didn't really matter if they were fairly drab in design (big, open nothingness), as you could just make your own fun from the assortment of enemies. Aliens in the latter half were shit because they detracted from the starting sandbox-like combat against humans.

Crysis 2 had nothing like Crysis, but I still enjoyed it because it was a fun enough linear set piece driven shooter. The levels are smaller, the variety is weaker, but they were densely packed with AI troopers to shoot and blow up. Aliens were actually fun to fight, and there were some good battles with humans and aliens going head to head.

With Crysis 3 I don't feel any of the encounters work well, because it's like Crysis 2's enemy variety in Crysis 3 style environments. The dam is a great example of this: the environment is really pretty damn huge and you cover a lot of terrain, but the enemy variety and AI is so weak there's not much room for free, interesting play. Stealth up close and take them down with the bow or melee. Snipe from afar. Punt rockets and grenades. Grab a heavy machinegun, hit armour, and mow them all down. Yeah, that's fun, but the environments are so large the encounters are easily exploitable and bland in variety. It doesn't have the original Crysis' addition of intense chopper fights, or a tank or jeep rolling in. No matter how big the environment is you're still fighting that dude with an assault rifle, his friend with a shotgun, and the sniper/rocket man. It's all a bit dull.

And the alien encounters I've had so far have been equally dull. The mobility of Crysis 2's aliens is mostly gone. The level design doesn't really accommodate it anyway. Stick a generic alien grunt in open terrain and what can you do with it? Not much, except punt rounds into its face just as you did the hundred or so alien and human enemies before it.

Crysis 3 has its moments, but to me it feels like a weird middleground between Crysis and Crysis 2. It tries to take the level design of Crysis, but match it with too much of Crysis 2. And it doesn't really work.

SO someone needs to help me, I have been playing through Crysis 3 and i had to go back and play a little of 2. I don't understand the character progress where did Alcatraz go?

Alcatraz is dead. Prophet's consciousness was adsorbed by the suit. He put the suit on a near dead Alcatraz to revive him and continue his mission, but ended up transplanting himself into Alcatraz's body.

Maldo.. you should send a message to Tiago Sousa explaining the problems with the Bokeh...

I bet he would fix them if you sent them to him. :D

I would love if the bokeh was fixed.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Alcatraz is dead. Prophet's consciousness was adsorbed by the suit. He put the suit on a near dead Alcatraz to revive him and continue his mission, but ended up transplanting himself into Alcatraz's body.

It's a shame the game didn't do a better job at explaining this. It's really hard to follow. At least the did a better job with C3.

VASPER

Banned

Ok i thought that's what was going on but wasn't a 100% sure, Still fuzzy on C2 so im going to go back through that one. Thanks!

KKRT00

@EatChildren
I actually think that AI is very good, probably the best in any game, i've played, but i agree that with more enemy variety it would be much better. Actually, i think that Dam level is great showcase of enemy AI, they not only move in groups and flank, they wait for backups, cover themselves, check noises, check last enemy positions with grenades.

In level chapter after Dam, CELL also climb in the environments and check rooms.

Normal Cephs are better than in Crysis 2, because they are much more aggressive and accurate, but they are easier to fight with because of bow and ceph weapons.

Crytek needs new enemy designers. The entire series has issues with enemy diversity, their combat design, and how they're integrated into the levels. They build a bunch of enemy types and then scatter them around these environments and just kinda hope it all works. Usually it doesn't.

It's fun for enough of Crysis because the enemy diversity covered both people and vehicles. That's why levels like Assault and Onslaught stood out. You had grunts with AKs, SMGs, and shotguns, snipers picking you off in open terrain, the odd rocket troop laying down fire, jeeps with mounted machine guns cruising around, a tank or two rolling, anti-air vehicles, and the odd chopper and boat. When levels had a lot going on it didn't really matter if they were fairly drab in design (big, open nothingness), as you could just make your own fun from the assortment of enemies. Aliens in the latter half were shit because they detracted from the starting sandbox-like combat against humans.

Crysis 2 had nothing like Crysis, but I still enjoyed it because it was a fun enough linear set piece driven shooter. The levels are smaller, the variety is weaker, but they were densely packed with AI troopers to shoot and blow up. Aliens were actually fun to fight, and there were some good battles with humans and aliens going head to head.

With Crysis 3 I don't feel any of the encounters work well, because it's like Crysis 2's enemy variety in Crysis 3 style environments. The dam is a great example of this: the environment is really pretty damn huge and you cover a lot of terrain, but the enemy variety and AI is so weak there's not much room for free, interesting play. Stealth up close and take them down with the bow or melee. Snipe from afar. Punt rockets and grenades. Grab a heavy machinegun, hit armour, and mow them all down. Yeah, that's fun, but the environments are so large the encounters are easily exploitable and bland in variety. It doesn't have the original Crysis' addition of intense chopper fights, or a tank or jeep rolling in. No matter how big the environment is you're still fighting that dude with an assault rifle, his friend with a shotgun, and the sniper/rocket man. It's all a bit dull.

And the alien encounters I've had so far have been equally dull. The mobility of Crysis 2's aliens is mostly gone. The level design doesn't really accommodate it anyway. Stick a generic alien grunt in open terrain and what can you do with it? Not much, except punt rounds into its face just as you did the hundred or so alien and human enemies before it.

Crysis 3 has its moments, but to me it feels like a weird middleground between Crysis and Crysis 2. It tries to take the level design of Crysis, but match it with too much of Crysis 2. And it doesn't really work.

I pretty much 100% agree with you, although I think another problem with Crysis 3 isn't just enemy placement, but option variety.

I just beat the game and the most fun I had with Crysis 3 were as follows: The first Stalker level in the field, the warehouse where both soldiers and a Stalker were present, and the open vehicle section. These levels were "variety," technically, only they sort of exist in their own vacuums. The Stalkers made the game legitimately tense, the warehouse level was a ton of fun thanks to the ample amount of camouflage and cover available, and the vehicle section (especially the more open arena bits) were exciting. It's a shame that these things don't overlap more, in multiple levels.

They shouldn't have "the Stalker level," "the warehouse level," and "the car level," all these things should be mixed up cleverly in all the levels.

Ricker

I pretty much 100% agree with you, although I think another problem with Crysis 3 isn't just enemy placement, but option variety.

I just beat the game and the most fun I had with Crysis 3 were as follows: The first Stalker level in the field, the warehouse where both soldiers and a Stalker were present, and the open vehicle section. These levels were "variety," technically, only they sort of exist in their own vacuums. The Stalkers made the game legitimately tense, the warehouse level was a ton of fun thanks to the ample amount of camouflage and cover available, and the vehicle section (especially the more open arena bits) were exciting. It's a shame that these things don't overlap more, in multiple levels.

They shouldn't have "the Stalker level," "the warehouse level," and "the car level," all these things should be mixed up cleverly in all the levels.

Yeah,Warehouse was great..so I finally did beat the game.I hadn't noticed something that helped a lot on that Boss fight,still took a few tries but made it...ending was ok.

Moff

dont really agree here.
far cry was a great game because it mixed free roam levels with such designated levels. I think thats a good thing. sometimes you have to force players to actually use the variety of gameplay a game offers, because otherwise they will always use the same tactic and the game becomes dull, just like eatchildern described thats a problem of crysis 3. I would have loved some areas with - as I said before- witch only invisible enemies where you mainly use your nano vision. or a maybe a level where you use only melee, or only explosives.

just another thing that came to my mind: the stalker level was tense because there was a device that deactivated nano suit powers, how the hell was that used in only one place of the game? that thing would have been an amazing addition to free roam levels, if you had to hack a terminal first to use the nano suit in another area. so much wasted potential on this game.

dont really agree here.
far cry was a great game because it mixed free roam levels with such designated levels. I think thats a good thing. sometimes you have to force players to actually use the variety of gameplay a game offers, because otherwise they will always use the same tactic and the game becomes dull, just like eatchildern described thats a problem of crysis 3. I would have loved some areas with - as I said before- witch only invisible enemies where you mainly use your nano vision. or a maybe a level where you use only melee, or only explosives.

just another thing that came to my mind: the stalker level was tense because there was a device that deactivated nano suit powers, how the hell was that used in only one place of the game? that thing would have been an amazing addition to free roam levels, if you had to hack a terminal first to use the nano suit in another area. so much wasted potential on this game.

Funneling players into doing a specific thing is anathema to this kind of design, though. I'm all for levels having twists/themes/gimmicks that force you to mix up your play style, but that's different from having levels with mechanics that pretty much never show up anywhere else. The Stalker field with the suit jammer is a great example of this - why does that only happen one time? Why isn't something like that an optional path in a later level?

Also, Far Cry's linear corridor underground lab levels ruin Far Cry. Buying these amazing free-form games only to discover that only 50% of the game is like that is always hugely disappointing. I remember how pissed I was that the original Crysis suddenly became Cabela's Flying Octopus Monster Hunt halfway through.

RooMHM

Bow is so overpowered, scorchers couldnt be easier with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV_wPYk5HrY&feature=youtu.be
After seeing you vid I can't help but think : "how great is Crysis gameplay and how fun it is!".

Honestly, in what FPS can you do such technical, badass, skill related tactics and movement such as this? Ok the enemies are kinda dumb and easy to beat but you still get to do stuff and have fun. It's not like you're sniping them and they don't see you without you moving.

Gbraga

After seeing you vid I can't help but think : "how great is Crysis gameplay and how fun it is!".

Honestly, in what FPS can you do such technical, badass, skill related tactics and movement such as this? Ok the enemies are kinda dumb and easy to beat but you still get to do stuff and have fun. It's not like you're sniping them and they don't see you without you moving.

Seriously. I don't like using "you suck at the game" as an excuse, but that's what comes to my mind when I see someone saying "Crysis is all graphics, just a generic shooter".

Man, I wish it was, the world would be a great place if every generic shooter had that gameplay.

Top Bottom