• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

exYle

Right. Says you. One person. Didn't know you spoke for the masses.

Since I think II is the best in the series.

But anyway...

Crysis 3 is the shortest game in the series, but Brotherhood with all of its (meaningful) side content is just as long as any other of AC series.
Brotherhood expands on all of the mechanisms of 2: exploration, dungeons, combat (huge improvement), and resource investment. It also adds Assassin Recruits. The only thing that was a regression was location variety. On the other hand, Crysis 3 gets its length chopped in half at the expense of the bow - otherwise, 2 & 3 are more or less the same game.

You argument is precedented on the fact that Brotherhood, like Crysis 3, is nothing more than an expansion to the previous numbered title in the series. This is objectively wrong; Brotherhood has just as much content as 2, if not more - it's everything a sequel should be. It's my opinion that Brotherhood is the best (but seriously, it's a pretty wide-held opinion here on GAF), but you're wrong in calling it a write-off.

scitek

Crysis 3 is the shortest game in the series, but Brotherhood with all of its (meaningful) side content is just as long as any other of AC series.
Brotherhood expands on all of the mechanisms of 2: exploration, dungeons, combat (huge improvement), and resource investment. It also adds Assassin Recruits. The only thing that was a regression was location variety. On the other hand, Crysis 3 gets its length chopped in half at the expense of the bow - otherwise, 2 & 3 are more or less the same game.

You argument is precedented on the fact that Brotherhood, like Crysis 3, is nothing more than an expansion to the previous numbered title in the series. This is objectively wrong; Brotherhood has just as much content as 2, if not more - it's everything a sequel should be. It's my opinion that Brotherhood is the best (but seriously, it's a pretty wide-held opinion here on GAF), but you're wrong in calling it a write-off.

Revelations added more content than Brotherhood, but was a boring game. I think a comparison with Call of Duty from an iteration standpoint (not a gameplay one) is apt. It's more of Crysis 2, but it feels more refined to me, and it's more fun to stealth around with a weapon that doesn't take you out of cloak mode.

Andrew.

Banned
Real Talk: Crysis 3 was more disappointing to me than Colonial Marines.

I mean at least with Aliens I knew I was walking into one big pile of shit.

exYle

Revelations added more content than Brotherhood, but was a boring game. I think a comparison with Call of Duty from an iteration standpoint (not a gameplay one) is apt. It's more of Crysis 2, but it feels more refined to me, and it's more fun to stealth around with a weapon that doesn't take you out of cloak mode.

Firstly, I just want to apologize for derailing the topic.

Revelations was mediocre because it added too much - and what it did add, was all pretty much optional. Tower defence, bomb crafting, even Altair's memories; they were okay, but it really didn't do much for me. The hookblade was awesome, though. Brotherhood added quite a bit, but it didn't overstep its boundaries, which is why I adored it so much.
It didn't help that the story in Rev was mostly forgettable until the ending. Cesare in Brotherhood was such a great villain, and an excellent follow up to Rodrigo.

Hahahaha. But there were at least some redeemable qualities of C3, no? I mean, there's nothing in Aliens.

Andrew.

Banned
Hahahaha. But there were at least some redeemable qualities of C3, no? I mean, there's nothing in Aliens.

Yeah. It has an excellent soundtrack and the weapons have a definite weight to their sound when they fire. Basically just like ACM whos only strengths were in its soundtrack and sound design, even though you feel nothing when you fire the weapons in ACM.

Otherwise, C3 is a great game if you're a fan of grass.

Killer

Banned
Need help!

I just downloaded the game and used a vpn to unlock it. when i press play, it asks me to put the product code. I put in the code but it tell me that the code has already been used :(.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Vitor711

As soon as you get into New York proper, and until the Aliens are reintroduced in a big way, this was my favourite Crysis game. It's just such a shame it had a weak start and end. The entire middle section I found to be immensely enjoyable.

1 still holds that honour, even if I did really, really enjoy 2. The bow was great, the new suit is far better than it was in 2 and the new stalker enemies were what the Ceph should have been to begin with. Shame that the rest didn't quite live up to this.

VASPER

Banned

I'm sorry but after playing about half of both games that is a crazy statement, Crysis 3 is at least a competent game (360 for both) not as much screen tearing and way less clipping in the game than Aliens. Idk man Aliens is really bad at least i have had fun with Crysis.

This is one of the most disappointing games I have ever played (PS3 version)

It is the equivalent of Ass Creed Brotherhood or Revelations. It's no evolution of the series, but rather just a "here's what happens next" situation with a few additions, namely the bow.

I played up until the halfway point and I just couldn't go on any further. Not even for trophy purposes. It's just so fucking stale. The graphics aren't anything for me to write home about, yet maybe if I had never played Crysis 1 or 2 this feeling would be different. I also noticed many jags, pop in and occasions where my game would load and Prophet wasn't even holding his fucking weapon. The music, however, is superb and the sound production for the guns is right on point. Unfortunatley, that shit isnt going to carry something like this and unfortunatley, today I realized that this series really is all about the fine coat of paint you see up front and not what is underneath it all.

Maybe I've turned jaded, maybe I'm turning into a Derrick, but this game is absolute shit in my opinion. I just sold it to my friend and went and picked up Metal Gear Rising instead. Hopefully that'll help clean up this mess I got myself into.

I disagree completely. This is one of the most pleasantly surprising games I've played recently. I was expecting a game with shiny graphics and hollow gameplay, because honestly that's what I felt Crysis 2 was, and people were coming down hard on Crysis 3 pre-launch.

But what I got is actually an excellent buy, for SP and MP. The bow is a blast, and I like how the level design encourages you to try different tactics. It's because of that I didn't mind starting all the way back at the beginning of the dam level.

KKRT00

I also disagree, its same game as Crysis 2 which i really liked in new settings, with more weapons, customizable ammo, better nanosuit, better AI and much bigger levels. Even if i want, i couldnt say thats disappointment.

Loginius

Need help!

I just downloaded the game and used a vpn to unlock it. when i press play, it asks me to put the product code. I put in the code but it tell me that the code has already been used :(.

Anyone know how to fix this?

disable vpn, start origin and try to play the game.
It will tell you that its not released yet etc.
close origin and start vpn again, it should work now.
Had the same problem myself.

The bow is a blast
No, the bow is shit because its so good I dont use anything else.

rac

Banned
I'm having a lot of fun, but I just wish first person shooters allowed you to turn off aim down sights and make hip firing more accurate. I really hate the feeling that I need to go slow to be able to aim.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Well, after seeing the PS4 debut, I have little doubt that this is a "next gen" game we're playing right now. I didn't see anything that looked better than Crysis 3. I guess Cevat Yerli was right.

scitek

Well, after seeing the PS4 debut, I have little doubt that this is a "next gen" game we're playing right now. I didn't see anything that looked better than Crysis 3. I guess Cevat Yerli was right.

There are apparently a lot of people that would disagree with you, but I'm not one of them (I really need to see a good quality video of that Killzone footage, though). I'm honestly fucking stoked to see a Crytek game targeting those specs.

Loginius

All water videos

You will have to make them run if you want to make the water shine in all its glory.

Mmmhmm. Crysis 3 immediately came to mind when KZ4 was shown.
I think some of the demos shown did things better than crysis 3 does, the head looked better (well it was just a head and nothing else so nobody should be surprised) and some materials / shaders etc. looked better in some of the demos but not one of them got even close to the density that crysis 3 has to offer.

Now if only Crysis 3 had a great AI to show for it I would truly call it "next-gen".

I wont call any game "next-gen" for quite a while I fear...

Grisby

I'm weak. I bought it.

How crap the game looks insane on the 360. I forgot how much fun it is to play with the suit powers. The AI might be dumb as hell but I have fun stealth knifing them all the same. Didn't fire a single bullet on that first level, just bows and the knife.

Can't wait to dig into the MP later.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are Crysis 3 keys region free? If so, would someone be able to buy an Origin key from Green Man Gaming using the 20% off voucher (GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS)? I can PayPal the dosh.

EDIT: Never mind. Got one.

Killer

Banned
disable vpn, start origin and try to play the game.
It will tell you that its not released yet etc.
close origin and start vpn again, it should work now.
Had the same problem myself.

It worked ! Tried it first with two Vpns and didn't work. It seems only flyvpn gets the job done.

Thanks.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see EA announce a Crysis 3 GOTY edition will be a launch title for the next gen consoles. They could easily port over the PC version in all it's glory.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see EA announce a Crysis 3 GOTY edition will be a launch title for the next gen consoles. They could easily port over the PC version in all it's glory.

If they released all 4 with maxed out settings I'd probably buy whatever system it was on. I love the series that much. I'd really like to see what Crysis and Warhead looks like maxed out in CE3 now
especially after the ending of Crysis 3
. Plus, I'd like to be able to use a controller in the event I ever build a Steambox. I imagine they're moving onto other things though. They seem to want to do F2P.

Well, I just beat the game and clocked in at 7hrs. 52 min. I thought the game was a good length especially considering I like to replay these games a lot. I also like to take my time and soak up the eye candy and boy did this game deliver. I thought the pacing was good and I think this is my favortie one out the bunch. There's a ton of ways to approach objectives and the graphics are obviously the best of the series. Some people like to say the gameplay is boring, but there aren't a whole lot of games anymore that are really tailored to that old school gunplay and exploration. Crysis as a series really reminds a lot of all the good times I had playing Turok back on N64. I wish there were more games in more genres that does this tbh. I also thought they did a good job on wrapping the story up and bringing them all together. That was no small task after the atrocity of a story in Crysis 2. Anyway, I'll be playing this game for a while. The whole series has been the highlight of this gen for me. I'm kind of sad this was probably the last one.

-SD-

Banned
Am I the only one absolutely blown away by this gif? There is basically ZERO about how the water is moving that doesn't look like it was filmed.
Many were blown away when it was first posted.

It's just that I'm really not seeing water interaction like that in any of the videos.

KKRT00

Many were blown away when it was first posted.

It's just that I'm really not seeing water interaction like that in any of the videos.

Its there, but its toned down a little. Its looks better when there run to water like the guy in this gif, but its hard to do and get a close up.

Killzone 4 looks like Crysis 3 on Medium settings or even a little worse. As i said in other thread, art will be fooling people.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Killzone 4 looks like Crysis 3 on Medium settings or even a little worse. As i said in other thread, art will be fooling people.
Wait, what on earth gives you that impression? How can you even make that call based on what we've seen?

At the very least, there is more going on in the background during the KZ4 demo than any area in Crysis 3.

KKRT00

Wait, what on earth gives you that impression? How can you even make that call based on what we've seen?

At the very least, there is more going on in the background during the KZ4 demo than any area in Crysis 3.

Geometry is very poor in background, i dont know how thats even relevant, when almost every engine now can stream geometry efficiently, its more art issue than tech issue. For example Dam level in Crysis 3 doesnt have any loading, if You jump out of building You are starting, You would get normal detail, and then if You can go up to the Dam geometry, and You will get normal details and then You can go to antenna without any loading what so ever. Its kilometer long, very wide and with 100 meters elevation area. And You have streamed details up to individual leafs on vegetation.

And if You carefully watch Killzone 4 video, You will notice a ton LOD issues, like selfshadowing streaming 5 meters from players, or object getting different geometry 5 meters from players. I dont see any POM on footage, particles arent affected by explosions, nor are shadowed. Shadows in many scenes are very low res etc. There is tons things Crysis 3 does by default even on Low/medium and very advanced stuff on High and Very High. I just dont see any features from High and Very High in Killzone footage and i dont see POM which is enabled even on LOW in Crysis 3 [or particles and vegetation physics].

For me Killzone 4 looks like in alpha stage if someone was impressed, he/she was impressed by art.

Just to give sense of scale of Crysis 3:
You start here:
http://www.abload.de/img/crysis32013-02-1817-4qadwm.png
http://i2.minus.com/iiMoLRoW4Gd4z.png
http://i2.minus.com/ibUn8ne4MjX7I.png

You then go here [underneath the Dam]
http://i3.minus.com/ivy1Jq5EP95K9.png
http://i3.minus.com/ibz42e5IWndfcG.png
http://i7.minus.com/i0sCDfrFezXkZ.png
http://i2.minus.com/ihTrj6v7S9diF.png

Then You go to the Dam
http://i5.minus.com/ieDoF77UXWCCQ.png
http://i4.minus.com/iQqV5WuLyombb.png

and the You fall here
http://www.abload.de/img/cellj3smy.png
http://i2.minus.com/ivU91fDgRMX0g.jpg
http://i6.minus.com/ibrgZ3Rn9DVtPd.png
http://i2.minus.com/iNOguLhl2F0lM.png

and walk up here
http://i2.minus.com/iHUnpfYMc2JOn.png
and then You spent 10 minutes inside that antenna and finally blow it up. Everything seamless without even second of load time. If You could open this level with SDK editor You could fly to every part of those shots in second.

How should i be impressed with something like this after Crysis 3?
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8382/8493770440_1eda3e4bff_o.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Playing now. Not really liking the gameplay. It's really dull. But it's also fucking insanely gorgeous. Holy shit. Seriously. What the fuck.

Gbraga

Is the first sequence supposed to be shitty? I only played until I got to NY (got too tired and had to sleep) but it was boring as hell.

Maybe I'm just playing it wrong, I'm trying to play like C1, but it doesn't work in this game, because enemies see you even when you're hiding, so you can't quickly hide anywhere to recharge your energy.

Andrew.

Banned
Is the first sequence supposed to be shitty? I only played until I got to NY (got too tired and had to sleep) but it was boring as hell.

Maybe I'm just playing it wrong, I'm trying to play like C1, but it doesn't work in this game, because enemies see you even when you're hiding, so you can't quickly hide anywhere to recharge your energy.

First Chapter was incredibly shitty, you are correct. You wanna talk about slow pacing and dullness? Jeeeesus christ.

KKRT00

because enemies see you even when you're hiding, so you can't quickly hide anywhere to recharge your energy.

I have only problem with CELL that are behind stationary machine guns, they can see from very far, others if not alerted arent that amazing at spotting and even if they spot something when they arent alerted, they just think that they've spotted something and go there to investigate. Keep in mind though that when someone spot You even for a second, he alerts others and then they are facing Your last direction and are trying to cover him.

Gbraga

I have only problem with CELL that are behind stationary machine guns, they can see from very far, others if not alerted arent that amazing at spotting and even if they spot something when they arent alerted, they just think that they've spotted something and go there to investigate. Keep in mind though that when someone spot You even for a second, he alerts others and then they are facing Your last direction and are trying to cover him.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind.

I also miss quick save :(

mujun

Good looking game on the 360 but I really find it to be very mediocre in terms of the game play and level design.

It has a weird feeling to the movement, you slide a little as if on ice which just really doesn't feel nice. The shooting is crap so far, not the actual feel which is okay but the fact that there is so much grass and the game has a sort of hazy look to it that it's really hard to line up a shot from anywhere except in close. Not to mention the enemies you spend most of the time fighting after taking down the tower. They are no fun at all.

I remember feeling this way about Crysis 2 also. I loved Crysis 1, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Geometry is very poor in background, i dont know how thats even relevant, when almost every engine now can stream geometry efficiently, its more art issue than tech issue. For example Dam level in Crysis 3 doesnt have any loading, if You jump out of building You are starting, You would get normal detail, and then if You can go up to the Dam geometry, and You will get normal details and then You can go to antenna without any loading what so ever. Its kilometer long, very wide and with 100 meters elevation area. And You have streamed details up to individual leafs on vegetation.
I'm not talking about the geometry in the background, rather, the amount of activity happening all around the player. There are loads of independently animated and moving objects everywhere in the scene. I think the focus on foliage in Crysis 3 vs the clean looking environment in KZ4 makes it more difficult to compare. They are going for such different looks and focus on different things. Both are gorgeous, though, and Crysis 3 is the first PC game in a long while to bring my PC to its knees on the highest detail settings.

We'll see as they reveal more.

Vitor711

I really enjoyed Crysis 3 but the game has its issues.

Namely, the fact that 1/3 of the levesl are pretty dull is a serious issue for a 6 hour game.

The first and last levels are pretty dull and don't do a good job of showcasing either the engine's or the gameplay's strengths and the first dune buggy section is beyond tedious.

That being said, the second, third and fourth levels are everything I love about Crysis and the stealth in the game is still insanely fun, even with the overpowered bow.

Even though I did love those levels, they're still weirdly devoid of enemies in certain sections. I've come across numerous areas that seem perfect for enemy snipers along rooftops/patrols down below or a three-way firefight that are just empty filler. Likely there to break-up the action and a poor attempt to regulate the game's pacing.

I've never modded a game before but I'm seriously tempted to try to get into this and rejig the enemy placement.

Holy shit I'm loving the multiplayer. Sure it's like Crysis 2, but its much more solid, and I can actually join a game quickly with a much higher success rate. Yea, its to be expected these days, but you couldn't say the same about 2 around launch time.

Gameplay is so frantic, fast and fluid. I've been destroying people with the semi auto rifle/assault scope, it's awesome at long range and decent at close. The maps are pretty ingenious too, great mix of open areas and CQC with places to scale, perch, and ground slam on unsuspecting opponents below, good lines of sight, everything just feels pretty balanced to me.

The water does look exactly like that gif in game. You just have to have a fast movig object.. normal walking does not produce that much interaction. ON the damn level... throw something into the water. You will see it skid accross and create awesome waves.

I'm a couple hours in and... holy shit, I'm finding this to be pretty amazing, both visually and in terms of gameplay.

It's not going to displace Crysis for me, but I'm finding it way more fun than Crysis 2 (which I didn't think was terrible, but a somewhat disappointing follow up to the original).

Mmmhmm. Crysis 3 immediately came to mind when KZ4 was shown.
Same here. I was telling a friend about the PS4 conference (I found it a bit boring but I'm very high on the PS4's potential). I said he needed to check out the Killzone trailer -- primarily for those cityscape shots -- but added that the actual gameplay didn't look as impressive to me as Crysis 3, even on my aging, mid-range machine (i5 2500k, 12GB, GTX 570).

Loginius

I loled at this little guy:
ibp3CE3tOQPtkG.png

and the effect it had
ibz1z5Jz1dxV6Y.png
I love little details like this (and all the wildlife going on in this game).

Top Bottom