• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

Alienous

cry15kc4j.png

Oh wow.

Do guns really get logo's like that. Looks like it would fit on the cover of a rock album.

the weapon customisation still appears for me with hud_hide 1 though :/

Apologies, misunderstood you. Hitting escape and quickly going to the customization menu works sometimes. Had some weird hud issues at times, it'll randomly pop up with everything, including crosshairs, and then disappear despite the fact that I'm playing on the highest difficulty.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Because I am playing at high resolutions and I enjoy those details, just because your 1080p monitor isn't cut out for doesn't mean you have to take over the enjoyment from the rest of us.

Even at 1080p the texture work is apparent when downsampling from 4k, obviously. Don't know why anyone would be opposed to detail like this.

scitek

The AI is atrocious in this game.

Is it the AI that's bad, or just the pathfinding? They react accordingly a lot of times, like "help, my team's fucking dead!" or "he cloaked, he's probably trying to flank us," and the grenade throws are worlds better than in 2, but the enemies always get railroaded trying to find their way around things in the environment or something. I played half of the first game this morning, and it doesn't seem as poor in that game. And bushes actually gave you cover, unlike 3.

scitek

That fucking DOF man.

I can't help but feel like if they added some enemies in a few places and tweaked the AI, the game could be heaps better than it is.

EDIT: And made it so you could only tag enemies in your line of sight.

Is it the AI that's bad, or just the pathfinding? They react accordingly a lot of times, like "help, my team's fucking dead!" or "he cloaked, he's probably trying to flank us," and the grenade throws are worlds better than in 2, but the enemies always get railroaded trying to find their way around things in the environment or something. I played half of the first game this morning, and it doesn't seem as poor in that game. And bushes actually gave you cover, unlike 3.

Contextual voice clips are not AI.

scitek

Contextual voice clips are not AI.

Well, I meant they try to react accordingly, and the audio cues you into watching it. It's like the AI is competent and knows what it's supposed to do, but the terrain gets in the way. Crysis 2 had the same problem, but there were so many others, the pathfinding seemed like the least of them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, It feels soo souless though.

Far Cry >> Crysis >>>>>> Crysis 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crysis 3

So far.

Only guys that have seemingly stayed on at Crytek are the tech team.
Far Cry? Really?

That was a hollow, horrible playing game with broken design and terrible AI. Hated it so much.

Crysis is fantastic, though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yeah I don't know, shooting someone in the feet 200 meters away and just having them stand there until they die is a letdown. I wish AI was prioritized more in games but since it's so behind the scenes it's probably much easier to script some 'AAA'-set piece with preset paths and a.i reactions/spawnclosets/whatever than to having to create believable AI.

Maybe next-next-gen :/

edit :

Eatchildren, what resolution-AA combo are you using there?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Maybe I have my nostalgia goggles but I remember loving Far Cry and just liking Crysis
You have those goggles on.

Far Cry really plays nothing like Crysis. Only in concept is it similar, but the gameplay is highly unrefined and it feels awful to play.

I loaded it up recently and was shocked at how bad it is.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Eatchildren, what resolution-AA combo are you using there?

3180x1789 + 4xSMAA(High)

Because:
a) My monitor literally cannot support proper 4K resolution. Custom variables won't work.
and b) I can't use MSAA full stop without my poor GTX 570 going "nope" and crashing the game.

Sethos

Banned
3180x1789 + 4xSMAA(High)

Because:
a) My monitor literally cannot support proper 4K resolution. Custom variables won't work.
and b) I can't use MSAA full stop without my poor GTX 570 going "nope" and crashing the game.

Don't worry about not being able to use MSAA. SMAA is far superior.

You have those goggles on.

Far Cry really plays nothing like Crysis. Only in concept is it similar, but the gameplay is highly unrefined and it feels awful to play.

I loaded it up recently and was shocked at how bad it is.

Mine is likely nostalgia as well but I felt the same way. As far as first impressions Far Cry had a much bigger impact on me than Crysis. I do love Crysis though. Both games fall apart at the end
snow for crysis and mutants

I think it's better than C2 so far and I loved C2. Only finished 2 missions so far though.

I am about 50% of the way through and CS2 is way better to me. The game feels like it breaks on this setup. I was just shooting a guy this morning that didn't react at all. Just sat there while I loaded him up. I can't remember that happening in 2.

scitek

Is it too dismissive to chalk the AI issues up to console development? The first Crysis has the "shoot you from a mile away" issues, but in most other areas it seems better, and that game is 5+ years old. They're pushing the machines so hard, something's bound to suffer. If Crytek make another Crysis targeted at the PS4's specs and it still has the same issues, I'll give up.

So if the A.I. is so important in the game, why not just play some multiplayer? People are way more fun to play than A.I.! I don't know why GAF is so averted to mp; in this game it really is the better half.

Is it too dismissive to chalk the AI issues up to console development? The first Crysis has the "shoot you from a mile away" issues, but in most other areas it seems better, and that game is 5+ years old. They're pushing the machines so hard, something's bound to suffer. If Crytek make another Crysis targeted at the PS4's specs and it still has the same issues, I'll give up.

Doubt it. AI isn't really a problem base on how powerful a machine is, it's solely on the programmers.

Sethos

Banned
So if the A.I. is so important in the game, why not just play some multiplayer? People are way more fun to play than A.I.! I don't know why GAF is so averted to mp; in this game it really is the better half.

Because not everyone wants to come home to 'spergin city that is MP of any FPS games these days after a long day at work or when they want to enjoy themselves.

scitek

The reaction speeches kinda ruin the game for me.
"uhoh, we are being hunted! dun dun!" Ugh...

Just FYI, this is only good on repeat play throughs or if you just don't care about the story, but there's a dialog slider in the audio options. Though I'm not sure it turns them off lol

The IA is much better in this game than in C2 imo. This is specially noticeable in those levels where there is a dozen Ceph hunting you. They move in groups, and stay close to each other as they sweep the map. But more importantly, they do not get stuck in geometry.

Because not everyone wants to come home to 'spergin city that is MP of any FPS games these days after a long day at work or when they want to enjoy themselves.

I definitely get that, but my point is if you are relaxing then why care about imperfect A.I.? I played a couple hours of single player and it isn't that bad; it just feels like regular dumb fps A.I. And multiplayer is as relaxing as you make it if you can handle dying a bunch; just can't let it get to you. Hell you can always perch and snipe, some of the maps are pretty damn big.

Sethos

Banned
I definitely get that, but my point is if you are relaxing then why care about imperfect A.I.? I played a couple hours of single player and it isn't that bad; it just feels like regular dumb fps A.I. And multiplayer is as relaxing as you make it if you can handle dying a bunch; just can't let it get to you. Hell you can always perch and snipe, some of the maps are pretty damn big.

Because relaxation doesn't mean going all numb in the face and not caring about the game. It's about being able to approach a game at your own pace, get into some great dynamic scenarios and being able to use your senses and wit to overcome a situation - An AI that's basically just the next step after a targeting dummy doesn't really provide that.

Because it gets in the way of the fun of the game. All the Crysis games swing hard between "psychic laser beam soldiers" and "nonexistent," both of which undermine the fun part of the game. What's the point of switching between different tactics if the AI never holds up its end of the bargain?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Last two shots (and a pair of eyes), else I turn this thread into a screenshot soapbox.

cry1lvpip.png

cry28prll.png

eyes5fr9t.png

scitek

Doubt it. AI isn't really a problem base on how powerful a machine is, it's solely on the programmers.

I get that, but what other shooter aside from Halo is trying to do anything comparable? I get the impression sometimes that people believe Call of Duty or Killzone has more advanced AI. I suppose presentation's pretty much everything with something like that.

Dave1988

Seeing as there is a PC Crysis 3 MP group forming, would anyone with the PS3 version be interested in playing the MP component? My PSN ID is Dave1988.

Pitmonkey

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but any reason on why you can't adjust the FOV? How do you do so in both single and multiplayer

I get that, but what other shooter aside from Halo is trying to do anything comparable? I get the impression sometimes that people believe Call of Duty or Killzone has more advanced AI. I suppose presentation's pretty much everything with something like that.

The thing is those games aren't sandbox shooters, and while I don't think they should get a pass for atrocious A.I. the level design makes it less noticeable.

Crysis is one of the few shooters occupying that space with Halo so our standards are set by that title I guess. Maybe it's asking for too much, who knows.

scitek

Wasn't the first game's AI modded? Did the CryEngine 3 SDK not allow for it to be modded in 2? I wonder why no one's bothered.

Animator

Why are people so fucking critical when it comes to crysis?

There is literally no other game that comes even close to how good this game looks and how tight it controls. Yes the single player campaign is not the second coming of our lord and savior Jesus Christ but I will take it over most other FPS SP campaigns. And the MP is amazing fun as well.

EatChildren

I couldn't help myself. I'm sorry.

cry1hyoav.png

cry2l0o9n.png

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but any reason on why you can't adjust the FOV? How do you do so in both single and multiplayer

Open the console and put in cl_fov followed by your preferred perspective, eg: cl_fov 80

Top Bottom