• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I was underwhelmed by how it looked on 360...Subhd, terrible textures, overuse of bloom to mask them, awful draw distance, lack of high quality particles, unstable framerate.
Really? Seems a bit unfair. The 360 hardware should never have been able to handle the game to begin with. It runs similarly to how a PC in 2007 handled it and it still managed to look nice at times.

Eideka

Banned
Really? Seems a bit unfair. The 360 hardware should never have been able to handle the game to begin with. It runs similarly to how a PC in 2007 handled it and it still managed to look nice at times.

No, my 8800GTX ran the game better than that. I stand by my comment, Crysis one on consoles look like utter garbage.

Sethos

Banned

My version of Crysis back then ran at a higher resolution, frame-rate and looked better.

derExperte

If you mean 'an outdated PC in 2007' you're maybe right. And afair there's some stuff missing in the 360 version, simpler physics for example. The conversion was a technical achievement, no doubt about it, but my not exceptionally powerful PC ran Crysis noticeably better.

OrigiNull

Are there any deals for this game? It's $59 on Origin and GMG.

Amazon is charging 59$ for the physical version but will net you a $20 credit on Amazon if you use it often.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050SZ0SY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I nabbed this up on GMG a couple months ago when they had a coupon code that brought it down to $47

With that said I also jumped on an early pre-order bandwagon for Aliens: Colonial Marines and look where that got me......

Sethos

Banned
Origin servers are slow :(

279udi.png

Sethos

Banned
your slow is pretty much the exact same speed as my fastest. Lucky you =P

Not so lucky, the speed has just dropped like a brick.

And it is slow for me when it's not even close to your limit and certain other DD services are able to max the connection without a problem. The Origin servers always seem so slow for me.

Can't decide on Origin or GMG (I don't want a boxed copy, so not super interested in Amazon's deal)

Don't care about the sound track or day 1 unlocks or free Crysis 1/2 as I already have them so I don't need the Digital Deluxe.

It's a fight between Hunter Edition Pre-Order on Origin (and pre-load) or Hunter Edition Pre-Order on Green Man Gaming ($10 GMG Credit back and I assume no pre-load, since we probably wont get keys till launch)

antitrop

My version of Crysis back then ran at a higher resolution, frame-rate and looked better.
I played Crysis on a laptop in 2007 with better settings and graphics than Crysis 360.
Granted it was an expensive ass laptop.

I think Crysis 360 was just a bad port, though. I don't feel like it completey maxed out the resources of the 360. There are certainly plenty of more impressive looking games on the 360 since then, but the original Crysis is still a graphical show-piece for high-end PCs.

dark10x

If you mean 'an outdated PC in 2007' you're maybe right. And afair there's some stuff missing in the 360 version, simpler physics for example. The conversion was a technical achievement, no doubt about it, but my not exceptionally powerful PC ran Crysis noticeably better.
Oh no, I mean a high end PC in 2007. I built a brand new machine just for Crysis using top end hardware in December 2007. I had to settle for 1280x720 with a mix of high and very high (mostly high) details in DX9 mode in order to reach a smooth framerate (which was not even close to 60 fps). In 1080p DX10 my framerate was in the teens.

This was on a high-end quad core with an 8800GTX.

Tankshell

Can't decide on Origin or GMG (I don't want a boxed copy, so not super interested in Amazon's deal)

Don't care about the sound track or day 1 unlocks or free Crysis 1/2 as I already have them so I don't need the Digital Deluxe.

It's a fight between Hunter Edition Pre-Order on Origin (and pre-load) or Hunter Edition Pre-Order on Green Man Gaming ($10 GMG Credit back and I assume no pre-load, since we probably wont get keys till launch)

My GMG preorder is now preloading on Origin. Just login to your account on GMG and grab the key, they appear to be available already, then register it with origin. Preload ahoy!

Eideka

Banned
Oh no, I mean a high end PC in 2007. I built a brand new machine just for Crysis using top end hardware in December 2007. I had to settle for 1280x720 with a mix of high and very high (mostly high) details in DX9 mode in order to reach a smooth framerate (which was not even close to 60 fps). In 1080p DX10 my framerate was in the teens.

This was on a high-end quad core with an 8800GTX.

The game ran perfectly fine in DX10/1600*900/High settings and no AA on my 8800GTX.

Ah, the memories...

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=137&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=8

dark10x

I think Crysis 360 was just a bad port, though. I don't feel like it completey maxed out the resources of the 360.
Man, you guys are way too harsh. A bad port? Really? It does not match the PC version by any stretch but there was no way in hell it ever could. It's amazing they managed to deliver the game at all.

Look at these - X360 images VS the PC version at Very High (selected from menu) at 1280x720. Naturally, with mods and tweaks, the PC version can far exceed this but these are the default settings.

I feel as if too many people aren't giving Crytek enough credit for their hard work here. This game should have been impossible on 360 but they managed to pull it off without compromising the game. Of course details are going to be missing. It would have been impossible to run the game otherwise.

The game ran perfectly fine in DX10/1600*900/High settings and no AA on my 8800GTX.

Ah, the memories...
I don't buy it. I think people are mis-remembering things here. I know very specifically how Crysis ran on a Core2 Quad + 8800GTX back then. You either had to give up a lot of its most impressive effects/details or settle for low performance at a lower resolution.

The benchmarks you posted are right in line with what I'm saying. Look at the 1600x1200 numbers. It AVERAGES 32 fps on an 8800GTX. That means it drops below 30 fps quite often. You could see pockets of 60 fps and drops into the teens depending on where you were looking and what was happening. 1280x720 DX9 with very high settings forced (including the glitchy DX9 motion blur) delivered a reasonably smooth framerate. Any higher or in DX10 and things started dropping hard.

Eideka

Banned
I don't buy it. I think people are mis-remembering things here. I know very specifically how Crysis ran on a Core2 Quad + 8800GTX back then
So do I.

You either had to give up a lot of its most impressive effects/details or settle for low performance at a lower resolution.
Que nenni. Everything on high (not VERY high) in DX10 mode at 1600*900 and no AA. 30fps, very few dips except at the very end of the game, I remember memory leaks in DX10 mode.
How funny.

Definitely better than either console versions and a superb looking game. I was not disappointed at all by how it ran on my rig.

Oddly enough I was more impressed by Bioshock from a visual standpoint. What a year 2007 was.

I can't decide either. They're both shitty deals for a PC game.

antitrop

Bad port was certainly not what I meant to say, though I did, I misspoke.

What I really meant by bad was that the level of parity between the visuals on PC and on 360 have a wider gap than usual, which is obviously reasonable given the circumstances surrounding the project.

I'd say Crysis 2 between 360 and PC look closer than Crysis 360 and PC, for obvious reasons.

I do suppose Crysis even existing on the 360 is something of a miraculous achievement.
The game REQUIRES 1gb of RAM on PC, and the 360 only has roughly half that.

Crytek worked some magic to get that shit to work.

antitrop

My comment in regards to "maxing out the power of the 360" was in regards to Crysis not being developed from the ground up with consoles in mind at all.

Oddly enough I was more impressed with Bioshock from a visual standpoint. What a year 2007 was.
I did, too. But that's because of the art.

I appreciated them both for completely different reasons. The fact that I wasn't able to "max out" Crysis like I was BioShock may have had something to do with it.

KaiserBecks

Man, you guys are way too harsh. A bad port? Really? It does not match the PC version by any stretch but there was no way in hell it ever could. It's amazing they managed to deliver the game at all.

Those are some nice pictures. Now go ahead and compare the physics. If you can find any in the 360 version, that is.

But I agree, the fact that they managed to port the game at all deserves recognition. Especially because they used the Cryengine 3 which, according to sad PC fanboys, isn't capable of creating open levels like the ones in Crysis 1.

Top Bottom