• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
New GMG 20% discount code, but it doesn't work on Crysis 3.

So I guess the only deal is Amazon physical copy with $20 Amazon credit. I'm all digital on PC now, I don't even have a working optical drive, so that option is out.

sp3000

New GMG 20% discount code, but it doesn't work on Crysis 3.

So I guess the only deal is Amazon physical copy with $20 Amazon credit. I'm all digital on PC now, I don't even have a working optical drive, so that option is out.

You can redeem the key on origin and not actually use the disc

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Those are some nice pictures. Now go ahead and compare the physics. If you can find any in the 360 version, that is.

But I agree, the fact that they managed to port the game at all deserves recognition. Especially because they used the Cryengine 3 which, according to sad PC fanboys, isn't capable of creating open levels like the ones in Crysis 1.
What do you mean? The physics are still present. Reduced, yes, but you can still destroy huts, slice trees in half, and splinter crates. Unfortunately, while object blur is used in some capacity, they disable it on objects with physics applied which kills some of the impressive effects one could experience on PC. Object blur made a world a difference in how the physics looked in motion.

But I agree, the fact that they managed to port the game at all deserves recognition. Especially because they used the Cryengine 3 which, according to sad PC fanboys, isn't capable of creating open levels like the ones in Crysis 1.

I think the majority of arguments coming out of the PC camp arn't the result of the engine not being capable of running open levels, but the fact that Crytek obviously designed Crysis 2 with console constraints in mind (which resulted in a corridor shooter instead of a semi-sandbox shooter).

Crysis 1 was a beast, and chewed up modern PC hardware at the time. Only now can you run C1 max'd with min 60fps... its easy to do that with C2. To explain that fact people love to say "oh C1 wasn't well optimized" which is a BS argument. Crytek simply dropped the ball on C2 so they could get it in the hands of more people (people with consoles).

Its simply a shame to see how things changed from C1/warhead to C2. Those changes upset the PC camp... which i think is understandable.

PC fanboy rant aside... regardless of the fidelity of C1 on consoles, i was personally amazed it happened.

Sethos

Banned
To explain that fact people love to say "oh C1 wasn't well optimized" which is a BS argument.

I'm sorry but Crysis 1 did suffer from optimization issues, whether you want to believe it or not. It had memory leaks, it had excessive render calls in some areas, effects that weren't properly optimized. There's a reason why Warhead managed to keep a lot of the open space but ran miles better.

codhand

I think the majority of arguments coming out of the PC camp arn't the result of the engine not being capable of running open levels, but the fact that Crytek obviously designed Crysis 2 with console constraints in mind (which resulted in a corridor shooter instead of a semi-sandbox shooter).

I wouldn't call C2 a corridor shooter, while certainly more straight forward than C1, it also had a lot more verticality and less wandering around

I'm sorry but Crysis 1 did suffer from optimization issues, whether you want to believe it or not. It had memory leaks, it had excessive render calls in some areas, effects that weren't properly optimized. There's a reason why Warhead managed to keep a lot of the open space but ran miles better.

ok. i can't disagree with that, but do you think C2 runs substantially better than C1/warhead because of optimization, or because of constrained level design and reduced fidelity?

sp3000

ok. i can't disagree with that, but do you think C2 runs substantially better than C1/warhead because of optimization, or because of constrained level design and reduced fidelity?

Probably both, but mainly because of the latter.

Warhead was a much more optimized version and yet it had much larger environments as well.

codhand

Crysis 2 looks great on ultra, the reports of the console version gimping it are exaggerated, like most things people on the internet get upset about.

Sethos

Banned

I can't personally draw any direction comparisons to the performance of Crysis 2 with any previous games due to all my hardware upgrades but if there was any substantial performance gains it does mainly come down to a lot of engine work. They did do a lot of optimization on the CryEngine after Crysis 1. I mean, Crysis 2 is more confined but I'd also say that Crysis 2 has a lot more advanced geometry, A LOT more attention to detail, crazy good looking effects and action going on around you. The old Crysis games was basically an illusion of free roam with a ton of trees and sparse villages / objects in that world. There's a lot more effort gone into Crysis 2 than 1 when looking at the levels.

Also a reason why they managed to fit Crysis 1 onto the consoles, due to their updated engine and all their hard work on optimization.

But I do still prefer Crysis 1 / Warhead because I love the feeling of open space, not that keen on urban settings.

OrigiNull

I would wager that another factor in its increased performance is the lack of interactivity with the environment. In Crysis 1 and Warhead you had destructible trees and buildings. I can only think of a handful of things that you can actually interact with in the world in Crysis 2.

DieH@rd

Banned
THE LETHAL WEAPONS OF CRYSIS 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PwrluMgmQJI

:-O @ that facility @ 1.25
:-OOOO @ shotgun blast at the end

thelethalweaponsofcryc8j2p.jpg

thelethalweaponsofcryr5jwz.jpg

thelethalweaponsofcrykxkeb.jpg

And people want nextgen games to look better than this? :D

I would wager that another factor in its increased performance is the lack of interactivity with the environment. In Crysis 1 and Warhead you had destructible trees and buildings. I can only think of a handful of things that you can actually interact with in the world in Crysis 2.

very good point. it was pretty amazing in C1/warhead to shoot down a trees, or be in a heated battle throw a grenade and then see multiple trees fall over as a result of the blast.

Sethos

Banned
What worries me most about Crysis 3 at this point, it looks so damn drab. Every single piece of footage we've seen is in a brown / grey dead world. Hopefully there will be more colors and variation. Getting Killzone vibes at this point.

sp3000

What worries me most about Crysis 3 at this point, it looks so damn drab. Every single piece of footage we've seen is in a brown / grey dead world. Hopefully there will be more colors and variation.

Not expecting much since Crytek threw out any semblance of good art after the first game.

The inside of the alien ship was amazing.

What worries me most about Crysis 3 at this point, it looks so damn drab. Every single piece of footage we've seen is in a brown / grey dead world. Hopefully there will be more colors and variation. Getting Killzone vibes at this point.

Yea, the color pallet does look a little Killzone 2. On the plus side, open'ish level design seems to have returned... at least base on the final Seven Wonders video.

This. For a game that's supposed to have (at least?) 7 different environments.. I'm somewhat disappointed.

OrigiNull

very good point. it was pretty amazing in C1/warhead to shoot down a trees, or be in a heated battle throw a grenade and then see multiple trees fall over as a result of the blast.

Yeah its the reason that Gears of War on the Xbox looks miles better than something like Red Faction Guerrilla.

In RF:G you can blow up and bring down whole buildings piece by piece. In the first Gears of War there is almost nothing that is dynamic in the environments. The only things that had physics were corpses when they "rag dolled". In fact, they had a shelf full of stuff (cans, bottles etc) in one of the MP maps that you actually could blow up and they had to remove it because if any of it ended up near a certain edge where you could climb up, you character would fall through the map.....

I would give up a significant jump in graphical fidelity in the next console gen for better physics and more building/terrain deformation - although I maybe in the minority on this.

I would give up a significant jump in graphical fidelity in the next console gen for better physics and more building/terrain deformation - although I maybe in the minority on this.

Totally agree, physics need to play a larger part in next gen. A game like Watch Dogs will be infinitely better if the driving engine is akin to modern racing games (insert GT5, Forza, Projects Cars) and if the shooter mechanic takes into account stuff like bullet trajectory (bullet fall over distance based on velocity/gravity).

aegies

You really, really shouldn't.

Spookie

Anyone mind giving me the skinny on the PC MP. I bought Crysis 2 and it was... Inadequate. Everything was so floaty, rampant cheating, no FoV slider and laggy. Is this the same all over again? I'd like to play a shooter but I'm not pre ordering another Crytek game unless I know exactly what's in it.

Edit: Found this so it's CoD with power ups and rampant cheating again. Fuck paying £30 for that.

Moff

preload done, sadly the cheap date trick vom dead space 3 dosent work here, it cant be verified yet

I know they may not have showed them all, bu it doesn't look like there are as many new weapons as I was hoping for. That's one thing that really held back Crysis 2 multiplayer. I really hope they didn't get rid of the k-volt, I haven't seen any footage of that.

Eideka

Banned
It was Crysis 3. But it's not a retail disc. It's from EA's in-house build authoring facility.

Oh, thank you for your answer.

We were speculating that C3 on PC could ship on blu ray discs but I suppose the manufacturing costs must not make this worthwile.

DieH@rd

Banned
I really like where GAFs expectations are at this point. A lot of people are going to be blown away with next gen goodness.

Of course they will. C3 was designed to run on old consoles, and therefore it still has many limitations that will be apparent even on the most strongest PC [number of enemies in each zone for example. their number and abilities will always be fixed bacause they need to be present in the same form on consoles].

Vossler

Going to do a speedrun of Crysis 2 with Maldo's Mod. First time firing it up on the 670, as before I had to run it on X'fired 6950's.

codhand

Of course they will. C3 was designed to run on old consoles, and therefore it still has many limitations that will be apparent even on the most strongest PC [number of enemies in each zone for example. their number and abilities will always be fixed bacause they need to be present in the same form on consoles].

so is it five hours?

Top Bottom