• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I downloaded and tried the demo for this game. Played through it twice. It plays fine and looks great, but I can't shake the feeling that it's a fancier, more-advanced (graphically and gameplay-wise) Far Cry. The demo makes the game just sorta look and feel like Far Cry (island setting, sea shantys, gunboats patrolling the harbor, enemies take too many shots to drop, etc. etc. ). Is the demo a bad indication of the rest of the game, or if you got sick of Far Cry should you look elsewhere?

Not hatin' on the game, just wondering if the full game is for me or not since I didn't care for Far Cry that much.
Demo is the first level in in basically all it's entirety.

That said, the first level feels as tiny and on rails as HL2 or COD when compared to even the very next level, shit just opens up to be so free form and fun, way beyond Far Cry.

1-D_FTW

PirateSean said:
So I finally got a PC good enough for Crysis.. or so I had thought

I was absolutely loving the game. It looks gorgeous on High settings. Framerate on High was very playable (with vsync + 2xAA). Was 30+ most of the time, dipping slightly now and then. This was, until, I saw some ice. This has now occurred in 2 places.

Spoiler tags, though I'm only like an hour or so into the game

first time was the boat. My framerate dipped to 8 any time it was on screen (starting with the little cutscene). This happened again when I was in some bunker and there was a machine down there, again, covered in Ice. Framerate more than halved again. It just seems off that I can hit as high as 60FPS indoors, right down to 8FPS when there is ice.

I'm worried in case there is a whole level with this kind of scenery. Any ideas what's causing this?

specs are:

Q6600 @2.4GHz
8G ram @ 667Mhz
9800GTX 512MB
1680x1050 22"
Crysis 1.2, Vista64

Weird. Where is there ice on a bunker when you're only an hour into the game? I'm completely drawing a blank where you see that in the early parts of the game.

I was playing at a lower resolution, but my only trouble spots tended to be when something was knocked over and the physics engine went wanky and an object just wouldn't stop. It was sucking CPU cycles on the physics and the object would just clank-clank-clank in the background while it ate cycles.

MickeyKnox said:
Demo is the first level in in basically all it's entirety.

That said, the first level feels as tiny and on rails as HL2 or COD when compared to even the very next level, shit just opens up to be so free form and fun, way beyond Far Cry.

I see there are snow levels. What percentage of the game has the tropical island setting? That's one of the things I got tired of in FC.

-SD-

Banned
Pic from Crytek's real-time version of the Sony Bravia ad.

510.jpg

Image source: http://www.crytek.com/fileadmin/use...8/TheRenderingTechnologiesOfTheCryENGINE2.ppt

Raiden

Banned
So i have Vista 64, 3870X2, a Dual Core 3.0G processor, 4 gigs of ram, and the game hangs around 25-30 fps on high settings ... why? :(

Is that Cuban Ultimate Doom thing the thing that's supposed to greatly improve performance or was it something else that people were tweaking to help their framerate? I tried install the cuban thing but it just makes a small black box when I go to run Crysis and I don't see anything but there's sound. :/ I can't punch either for some reason...

bathala

Banned
just bought 4850, its getting good benchmark on high setting but low res. since my monitor only goes to 1440x900 i think I'll get around 30 to 40fps?
so should i get Crysis or wait for Warhead?

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I see there are snow levels. What percentage of the game has the tropical island setting? That's one of the things I got tired of in FC.

Well the whole game takes place on an island, but the scenery is actually quite varied. It's much less uniform than far cry was in terms of what you're doing and the environments you are in.

Spoit

bathala said:
just bought 4850, its getting good benchmark on high setting but low res. since my monitor only goes to 1440x900 i think I'll get around 30 to 40fps?
so should i get Crysis or wait for Warhead?
Get Crysis now.

dLMN8R

Warhead is a standalone "sidequel" to Crysis. You don't need Crysis to play it, and it's a full single player campaign following another character from the original game. Hopefully, it'll be released at a discounted price.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Raiden said:
So i have Vista 64, 3870X2, a Dual Core 3.0G processor, 4 gigs of ram, and the game hangs around 25-30 fps on high settings ... why? :(
I OC'd my card a little and I am getting 30-40fps on high 1600x1050, what are your settings?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Can someone please explain to me exactly just wtf this final boss is? BAH! Everyone is yelling at me and stuff: "Get them off of our asses" "Get them off of our asses" "Get them off of our asses" "Use the tac gun" "Use the tac gun" "Use the tac gun""Use the tac gun""Use the tac gun""Use the tac gun""Get them off of our asses""Get them off of our asses""Use the tac gun""Use the tac gun"

I'm sorry I'm not moving fast enough, jesus. -_-

I had put this game down for a while, and picked up on save where I had zero ammo left and a bunch of aliens to fight. I ended up grabbing each one of them and beating the hell out of them while prophet recharged his suit. I dunno, I wasn't to find of piloting the Vtol. Aside from that, they really did a grand job of making you feel like you were in a movie. <3 this game.

I'll beat the boss tomorrow.

Oreoleo

There's 4 turret guns on it, 2 on each side. Hide behind the crates/weapon cache in front of it and take them out. If I remember correctly it takes 2 hits to take each one out. After that the gunships move in on it and it starts to moving to hover above the boat you are on. Some of them squid thingies come at you so you have to take them out, and then there are (I think, my memory is a little hazy) a couple more turrets on the underside of the boss and a weak point right in the middle that you have to shoot at. It definitely took me a good couple tries, but once you know where to shoot it comes down pretty fast.

Oldschoolgamer

Orellio said:
There's 4 turret guns on it, 2 on each side. Hide behind the crates/weapon cache in front of it and take them out. If I remember correctly it takes 2 hits to take each one out. After that the gunships move in on it and it starts to moving to hover above the boat you are on. Some of them squid thingies come at you so you have to take them out, and then there are (I think, my memory is a little hazy) a couple more turrets on the underside of the boss and a weak point right in the middle that you have to shoot at. It definitely took me a good couple tries, but once you know where to shoot it comes down pretty fast.

Thank you! I emerge VICTORIOUS! I died like three times on the underside part, and that's because I ignored like all of the aliens while I was fighting that thing. They were like, "lets rush this mother fucker" and I kept getting destroyed. I took out out like four of them right before it opened up and fired the cannon into.

Now...

WTF IS THIS ENDING?! D:

How can you DO that to someone. D:

At any rate, this game owned to hell and back. Its easily one of the best fps I have played. Makes you feel like you are in a movie more than CoD4 and HL2 does.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Thank you! I emerge VICTORIOUS! I died like three times on the underside part, and that's because I ignored like all of the aliens while I was fighting that thing. They were like, "lets rush this mother fucker" and I kept getting destroyed. I took out out like four of them right before it opened up and fired the cannon into.

Now...

WTF IS THIS ENDING?! D:

How can you DO that to someone. D:

At any rate, this game owned to hell and back. Its easily one of the best fps I have played. Makes you feel like you are in a movie more than CoD4 and HL2 does.

this point cannot be emphasized enough....

this Uncharted, HS, MGS4 and ME have pushed the envelope in that respect

Oldschoolgamer

I skipped the next difficulty level and went straight to Delta. I didn't have to worry this much about getting caught when I played MGS3 on European Extreme mode. They really don't fuck around this time. :(

What are some good mods for this game?

bathala

Banned
Spoit said:
Get Crysis now.
Playing it right now

its been so long since I played a PC game. I'm in love with Crysis with all settings on Very High 2x AA :D

I just finish the jamming device and on the way to the checkpoint.
going stealth, but damn u do ran out of ammo fast.

I like the balancing of stealth. stand still, it depletes slow. run goes down fast

zaidr

Wow, they really scaled down the game for retail release from that first e3 demo. When will we ever be able to do that on our home systems?
*tear goes down one eye*

zaidr said:
Wow, they really scaled down the game for retail release from that first e3 demo. When will we ever be able to do that on our home systems?
*tear goes down one eye*
except the gun blur, I actually like the second shot better

Kibbles

zaidr said:
*tear goes down one eye*
Yeah if you watch the video it runs a lot smoother. =(

Raiden

Banned
godhandiscen said:
I OC'd my card a little and I am getting 30-40fps on high 1600x1050, what are your settings?

Well, now i play on 1900x1200, with most on high and some on medium. Im getting a a "decent" fps now, about 30-40 too, but i still get drops if i look at a little town from afar, or just in the open.

The reason why i play on such a high res is because i have a 24 inch monitor, and if i go lower it doesnt look so good.

dLMN8R

Damn, I was looking through the first few pages of this thread just for the hell of it, and it reminded me of just how fucking phenomenal this game is. It's a tragedy how the classic internet backlash convinced so many people that Crysis is nothing but a pretty tech demo, and that even more chose to avoid playing it altogether just because of the false perception that it needs a computer from the future to make it look and play incredible.

gray_fox224

I got my copy in the mail today and all the components for my new PC are coming tomorrow. Till then, I will be studying this thread.

I finally got my new pc a few weeks ago, but i had to move so now just got around to finally playing crysis! This game is so awesome, i cannot even describe to you how happy i am that i am able to run at all HIGH settings with one or two at VERY HIGH. I am happy too that i was able to get this with a price match from best buy for 20 bucks, it is a shame this game didnt sell really really well, then again it does take a horse of a pc to play this game at good settings.

dLMN8R

EvilDick34 said:
I finally got my new pc a few weeks ago, but i had to move so now just got around to finally playing crysis! This game is so awesome, i cannot even describe to you how happy i am that i am able to run at all HIGH settings with one or two at VERY HIGH. I am happy too that i was able to get this with a price match from best buy for 20 bucks, it is a shame this game didnt sell really really well, then again it does take a horse of a pc to play this game at good settings.
It sold 1.5 million copies, with literally no mass market advertising whatsoever.

Chiggs

Gold Member
dLMN8R said:
It's a tragedy how the classic internet backlash convinced so many people that Crysis is nothing but a pretty tech demo, and that even more chose to avoid playing it altogether just because of the false perception that it needs a computer from the future to make it look and play incredible.

Eh, I sort of agree. But you definitely want a beefy machine to run it.

gray_fox224

I have a native 1080p tv. What resolution should I put Crysis on?

And I installed the patch, but how do I know that my game is running it? Console?

Spoit

gray_fox224 said:
I have a native 1080p tv. What resolution should I put Crysis on?

And I installed the patch, but how do I know that my game is running it? Console?
However large you can while still maintaining a playable framerate. TBH, I knocked the resolution down a couple pegs in order to have things like motion blur and the godrays and didn't notice that big a difference between the different resolutions, at least compared to other games.

gray_fox224

Spoit said:
However large you can while still maintaining a playable framerate. TBH, I knocked the resolution down a couple pegs in order to have things like motion blur and the godrays and didn't notice that big a difference between the different resolutions, at least compared to other games.

Cool.

cameltoe

Ok, I went ahead and bought the game yesterday....opened it up and popped the disk in.....nadda! Umm, no auto install. Ok, so I hit explorer and try to manually install the fucker. No go. Every time I try to explore the disk it locks up my computer. I tried to rip the disk to the HD....nope! It locks up DVD Decrypter! I figure its a bad disk.

So I run to BB and exchange it, get home....SAME SHIT! I figure my DVD drive is fucked. Nope! All other DVD's work fine.

Two faulty disks in 2 days? What are the odds?

Win xp SP3
HPdvd840 drive
Q6600
8800 gt 512
2gb crosair 800

All shits up to date. Ill take it back tomorrow for the last time!!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
are there any specific mods for an ati card so it runs smoother?

Just wondering if someone reccommend me a mod for my hd 4850, running at 1440x900.

EDIT: i just saw that cuban program posted here, AWESOME. gonna try it out tomorrow

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That Resort map looks insane. This engine allows for such beautiful maps from included assets. Very cool. I hadn't seen that one yet.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
pringles said:
damn. Imagine the day when we get an Oblivion-type game with this caliber of graphics..

Insanity. Crytek strives for realism. If a good studio picked up this engine and used it for a more artistic, fantasy setting, mind would be blown.

Cheeto

I just reinstalled Crysis on my newly upgraded rig.

Went from:

8800GTS 320 -> Ati 4850
2gb -> 4gb ram
WinXP32 -> Vista64

Fired up Crysis, and cranked everything up to max settings at 16x10 with no AA. To my surprise it ran great. Didn't have the info on but the framerate seemed like a solid 30fps, maybe 25. I played up until you came across the first Humvee. When I got into the humvee and tried to drive the framerate took a dive down to 8 or so fps. I think it had something to do with the wide open water area that surrounded me. Any idea which setting I can dial back to keep the framerate around 30?

Top Bottom