• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

bee

plagiarize said:
are any of these suggested configs designed around a rig like mine?

ye just try patching to 1.21 and force dx9 and run cuban config level 4 with NO tod file or else it'll look shit, that'll get you like 95% of the graphic effects of dx10 very high and should run a lot better

bee said:
ye just try patching to 1.21 and force dx9 and run cuban config level 4 with NO tod file or else it'll look shit, that'll get you like 95% of the graphic effects of dx10 very high and should run a lot better
i'll give that a try. thanks.

1-D_FTW

Yeah. People were talking about hits in the second half levels and I was running fantastic there (I think it was actually a higher framerate than the jungle levels.) Have a CRT monitor and just played on 1024*768, but framerate was very good using Cuban's mod - Level 4. Also played with patch 1.21 and latest Nvidia driver. The final scene was the only part in the entire game where I had framerate issues.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I'm going to be hooking my PC up to my TV this weekend w/ a 360 controller for some PC gaming love. Whats the recommended tweaking for my PC? I tried the Cuban config stuff but it seemed to make the game run worse than standard Crysis.

Vista Ultimate x86
Intel E6750
Geforce 8800GT 512MB
2GB DDR2 PC800
2 x 74GB 10K RPM Raptors striped (data security what?)

Nothing is overclocked. Currently running 1280x720, 0xAA, and high details - yields an average 30fps with quite a few dips into the teens/single digits. Doesn't seem like I'm getting the performance I should. Every other game I play (ET:QW, Gears of War, Shadowrun, COD4) all run 1680x1050, all details, and some AA at 60fps. Obviously Crysis is a different beast, but the lack of AA and lower resolution are really upsetting when the framerate can even sit at 30 :(

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
DKo5 said:
I'm going to be hooking my PC up to my TV this weekend w/ a 360 controller for some PC gaming love. Whats the recommended tweaking for my PC? I tried the Cuban config stuff but it seemed to make the game run worse than standard Crysis.

Vista Ultimate x86
Intel E6750
Geforce 8800GT 512MB
2GB DDR2 PC800
2 x 74GB 10K RPM Raptors striped (data security what?)

Nothing is overclocked. Currently running 1280x720, 0xAA, and high details - yields an average 30fps with quite a few dips into the teens/single digits. Doesn't seem like I'm getting the performance I should. Every other game I play (ET:QW, Gears of War, Shadowrun, COD4) all run 1680x1050, all details, and some AA at 60fps. Obviously Crysis is a different beast, but the lack of AA and lower resolution are really upsetting when the framerate can even sit at 30 :(

I'm running 64bit and recently upgraded to Core 2 quad and 8gb of Ram (8 gb of DDR2 ram = $212) and my frame rate is way, way better.

Edit: To clarify, I had a very similar rig to yours, and upgraded the ram and CPU and it made a big difference.

AZ Greg

Quick question Crysis vets:

With the best balance between performance and visuals, what settings and frame rate can I expect to play this game with:

Intel® Core2 Duo Proc E8400 (3.0GHz,6MB L2Cache,1333FSB)
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 2DIMMs
512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT
Windows XP

Edit: Should I go with Vista instead?

I got around to finishing the game earlier tonight. This definitely ranks as one of my favorite FPS games ever. I've already started a new game because I couldn't get enough of it.

dLMN8R

AZ Greg said:
Quick question Crysis vets:

With the best balance between performance and visuals, what settings and frame rate can I expect to play this game with:

Intel® Core2 Duo Proc E8400 (3.0GHz,6MB L2Cache,1333FSB)
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 2DIMMs
512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT
Windows XP

Edit: Should I go with Vista instead?
You'll get a very smooth experience with everything set to high details, even at a resolution like 1680x1050. Don't bother with AA, as it really cuts your performance in the game, and as long as you have everything set to high, the game's "edge AA" is enabled to keep trees from looking jagged as hell.

If you have and were planning to install it, feel free to do so - Vista performance, thanks to the newest drivers and SP1, finally meets or exceeds XP performance. But you're probably not going to be running the game on Very High settings anyway, so if you're happy with XP, by all means keep it!

Pakman

Wow I know this had to have been said a lot - but I just finished Crysis and the ending is a big MEH. I'm sitting there watching that last cutscene thinking "I'm probably 3/4 done with the game" and the damn credits start rolling. WEAK. Still enjoyable though.

1-D_FTW

CrookedRain said:
I got around to finishing the game earlier tonight. This definitely ranks as one of my favorite FPS games ever. I've already started a new game because I couldn't get enough of it.

Did the same thing. Started on the next difficulty up yesterday.

Pakman said:
Wow I know this had to have been said a lot - but I just finished Crysis and the ending is a big MEH. I'm sitting there watching that last cutscene thinking "I'm probably 3/4 done with the game" and the damn credits start rolling. WEAK. Still enjoyable though.

And I was beginning to fume and think we were looking at Farcry where you had a bunch of really annoying chapters after the game should have rightly ended. The game needed to end at that point IMO. I don't like the cliffhanger aspect they tacked on, but pacing wise, it was the right place for the game to end.

It just never gets old for me launching Koreans as far as I possibly can or into a bunch of breakable objects. It looks hilarious when some of their limbs go through certain objects like part of a wall or table.

1ho4o.jpg

Apocryphon

CrookedRain said:
It just never gets old for me launching Koreans as far as I possibly can or into a bunch of breakable objects. It looks hilarious when some of their limbs go through certain objects like part of a wall or table.

1ho4o.jpg

Ha! Look at the expression on his face!

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
CrookedRain said:

1ho4o.jpg

Man, I spent 10 times more time throwing koreans into shacks in sandbox than actually playing the game!

Flipside

I am putting together a new PC soon and I really want it to run Crysis smooth and with the pretty graphics shown in some movies :)

The parts I am thinking about are:
Asus Rampage Formula
Intel Q9450 (QuadCore 2,66Ghz)
4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM

For the videocard I am doubting between 8800GT, 9800GTX and a 9800GX2. Does anyone know how big the difference in experience will be? I read so many benchmark things but I still haven't found a good answer.

Also, does a Q9450 make a lot of difference compared to a E8400?

I hope someone can answer these questions :)

Crysis looks really amazing and I can't wait to play it. I was always more into consoles but with titles like Crysis and Starcraft II coming along it is really time to upgrade the PC.

aznpxdd

If you're not in a hurry, I'd wait to see ATi and Nvidia's new offerings in the upcoming month. The rest of your specs looks good though, there shouldn't be much of a different between a 9450 and the 8400 (unless you OC' the shit out of it).

Apocryphon

Flipside said:
I am putting together a new PC soon and I really want it to run Crysis smooth and with the pretty graphics shown in some movies :)

The parts I am thinking about are:
Asus Rampage Formula
Intel Q9450 (QuadCore 2,66Ghz)
4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM

Also, does a Q9450 make a lot of difference compared to a E8400?
PC.

For games the differences between the 2 processors will be negligible, especially at high resolutions.

The Q9450 will OC to about 3.8GHz once you up the FSB to 1900Mhz, but the E8400 will go over 4GHz on air. Depending on your cooling solution and experience with overclocking, i'd probably actually go for the E8400. With water-cooling you can hit a stable 4.5GHz.

As for your graphics card, you'll be better off waiting for the GTX 260 and 280 to launch next month. The 260 will provide better performance for your money than any of those other cards you listed.

Flipside

I never OC'ed before so I probably won't do that right away since I don't want to destroy my new system out of the box ;)

Does it mean the Q9450 hasn't got many advantages then? It is twice as expensive but a lower clockrate, lower OC options and 2 extra cores that don't seem to be used by much software :/ Isn't the 45nm fabrication process some advantage?

What does Crysis depend on most anyway? GPU, CPU or RAM?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I have to say...I've learned how to use stealth. In the beginning, pissing them off and throwing people was hilarious. I'm on my way to the excavation site and man, the kpa are out in force. :lol

Why did they get rid of jester? :(

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Sorry for bumping, but...punching Aliens in the face, in zero gravity was spectacular. I was kinda tense floating through that segment because they were faster and stuff, but, a shotgun TO THE FACE, ceased all flight activities. They need to make a space game with the nanosuit and areas with zero g. Throwing grenades was fun too.

I just made it to the ice are. O M G its pretty.

BeeDog

Damn I love this game; I'm so pumped that I will replay this game with my newly-ordered graphic card since the current one artefacts bad.

Teknoman

Question:

Does the retail full version perform better than the pre-release demo version? I've got a Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 2gigs of ram, and a Radeon 2900pro 512MB card, running Vista Ultimate 64bit. Dont plan on using a resolution over 1280x1024, but just wondering what kinda performance i'd be looking at using no AA/AF, but with all graphic settings to high or very high.

Also is it true that you can only see the DX10 effects with everything at very high?

Hey, thinking of picking this game up, and wanted to ask for some advice.

Going to be running it on
E8400, OCed to 3.6
4 gigs of ram
9800 GTX 512mb
64-bit Vista

I figure I can go at 1680x1050, with no AA. Would anyone recommend one of these custom configs I've seen in the thread when I skimmed it over? Cuban's, Helden's, etc... which offers the best graphical/performance increase?

BeeDog

Teknoman said:
Question:

Does the retail full version perform better than the pre-release demo version? I've got a Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 2gigs of ram, and a Radeon 2900pro 512MB card, running Vista Ultimate 64bit. Dont plan on using a resolution over 1280x1024, but just wondering what kinda performance i'd be looking at using no AA/AF, but with all graphic settings to high or very high.

Also is it true that you can only see the DX10 effects with everything at very high?

Yeah, the full release does perform a lot better, especially after the patches. Some of the graphical effects are "only" available in Vista, but there are tricks and console commands to enable them all in Windows XP as well.

Teknoman

BeeDog said:
Yeah, the full release does perform a lot better, especially after the patches. Some of the graphical effects are "only" available in Vista, but there are tricks and console commands to enable them all in Windows XP as well.

So then you wouldnt have to set graphic settings to very high just to get the DX10 effects in the retail version? I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit, so im not really worried about console and config edits.

jet1911

I love the way this game looks. :D

2r5ev5g.jpg

Got a couple of questions. I installed the Cuban's congif files but I lost the motion blur effect. Why? :(

Also is there a "take screenshots" button or do I have to "printscreen" all the time?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
An upcoming texture mod will make the game look even more fantastic. It's as far as to say Crysis 1.5. People are even wondering if Crysis 2 would look as good.

Texturemod.jpg

Mash

Kadey said:
An upcoming texture mod will make the game look even more fantastic. It's as far as to say Crysis 1.5. People are even wondering if Crysis 2 would look as good.

Texturemod.jpg

No fucking way that is in game..seriously? Links to source? I can't tell if you're joking.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
There is an unofficial one and the ones Crytek themselves are doing. That image is just what you can expect. The regular game itself comes pretty close to looking like that already.

Mash

Kadey said:
There is an unofficial one and the ones Crytek themselves are doing. That image is just what you can expect. The regular game itself comes pretty close to looking like that already.

My rig makes the game look good but that is something else.

1-D_FTW

Restarted on Delta difficulty and just had a pretty awesome sequence:

I've captured a machine gun bunker when a helicopter is buzzing overhead. So I go prone and cloak. After about 30 seconds I see he's gonna land about 50 feet behind me. So I just lay there and wait. As soon as a ton of soldiers jump out (6?), I heave a grenade and kill them all. Before I can recloak, the helicopter manages to blow my bunker to pieces and everything collapses on top of me. Everyone is dead, but I can't get up. I can't use my power suit to punch the stuff off. I'm stuck in the prone position. In a last ditch effort, I chuck a grenade just to the edge of the debris (and real close to me). Screen goes blurry and I think I've bit it. But I didn't. Debris is shattered and I can now worm my way out of it.

dejan said:
Crysis Monthly Update

- development of the dedicated Linux server has been stopped
- no further patches, but ...
- ... they are working on something new. Expect an announcement soon.

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=28968&sid=a454298e470b03cffe898368cd7c2619

I'm concerned that there are not going to be any more patches released, especially since the 1.3 patch seemed very close to completion. Also its laughable there already isn't a dedicated linux server for the game at this point. I think its becoming obvious crytek is abandoning this title and focusing on something new. They have a great engine, lets hope the next game enjoys better sales.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Just beat the game last night. Brilliant. Cant wait for more! Seriously one of the best FPS i've played.

elseanio

So I finally got a PC good enough for Crysis.. or so I had thought

I was absolutely loving the game. It looks gorgeous on High settings. Framerate on High was very playable (with vsync + 2xAA). Was 30+ most of the time, dipping slightly now and then. This was, until, I saw some ice. This has now occurred in 2 places.

Spoiler tags, though I'm only like an hour or so into the game

first time was the boat. My framerate dipped to 8 any time it was on screen (starting with the little cutscene). This happened again when I was in some bunker and there was a machine down there, again, covered in Ice. Framerate more than halved again. It just seems off that I can hit as high as 60FPS indoors, right down to 8FPS when there is ice.

I'm worried in case there is a whole level with this kind of scenery. Any ideas what's causing this?

specs are:

Q6600 @2.4GHz
8G ram @ 667Mhz
9800GTX 512MB
1680x1050 22"
Crysis 1.2, Vista64

I downloaded and tried the demo for this game. Played through it twice. It plays fine and looks great, but I can't shake the feeling that it's a fancier, more-advanced (graphically and gameplay-wise) Far Cry. The demo makes the game just sorta look and feel like Far Cry (island setting, sea shantys, gunboats patrolling the harbor, enemies take too many shots to drop, etc. etc. ). Is the demo a bad indication of the rest of the game, or if you got sick of Far Cry should you look elsewhere?

Not hatin' on the game, just wondering if the full game is for me or not since I didn't care for Far Cry that much.

Lyon

PirateSean said:
So I finally got a PC good enough for Crysis.. or so I had thought

I was absolutely loving the game. It looks gorgeous on High settings. Framerate on High was very playable (with vsync + 2xAA). Was 30+ most of the time, dipping slightly now and then. This was, until, I saw some ice. This has now occurred in 2 places.

Spoiler tags, though I'm only like an hour or so into the game

first time was the boat. My framerate dipped to 8 any time it was on screen (starting with the little cutscene). This happened again when I was in some bunker and there was a machine down there, again, covered in Ice. Framerate more than halved again. It just seems off that I can hit as high as 60FPS indoors, right down to 8FPS when there is ice.

I'm worried in case there is a whole level with this kind of scenery. Any ideas what's causing this?

specs are:

Q6600 @2.4GHz
8G ram @ 667Mhz
9800GTX 512MB
1680x1050 22"
Crysis 1.2, Vista64

I had this once on my second run through, my first was perfectly fine. If I turned my back to the ice there was no problem, turn back again and bam, 5fps. I found restarting my machine sorted it out. I cant really offer any help, but I can at least say there probably is a fix. NB I had no problems with the large ice areas.

Had to post this:

outhouse.jpg

Top Bottom