• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

Just built a comp, 3dMark06 - 17811

Crysis @ 1920x1200 on HIGH gives me frame rate drops into the teens, I guess I need to dl some custom settings. I was expecting better performance, are there any tweeks that Im not thinking of?

Thanks-

aznpxdd

NarcissisticJay said:
Just built a comp, 3dMark06 - 17811

Crysis @ 1920x1200 on HIGH gives me frame rate drops into the teens, I guess I need to dl some custom settings. I was expecting better performance, are there any tweeks that Im not thinking of?

Thanks-

Custom config isn't going to do crap if you want to run the game @ 1920x1200.

aznpxdd said:
Custom config isn't going to do crap if you want to run the game @ 1920x1200.

Guess I'll be steping up the CPU OC, might start looking into OC'ing the GPU as well.

Fun times trying to best Crysis, Fun times I say.

aznpxdd

If you are going with a custom config, I'd say go with Cuban's. I'm using Helder's config right now, and while it does look better, my FPS has suffered quite a bit. My e8400@3.6Ghz and 8800GT@700/1700/2000 runs the game 25-40 FPS at 1280x1024.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
NarcissisticJay said:
Guess I'll be steping up the CPU OC, might start looking into OC'ing the GPU as well.

Fun times trying to best Crysis, Fun times I say.
Just drop your resolution. 1920x1200 is simply too high for current PC hardware. I played the game at 1280x720 and it was very smooth using DX9 "Very High" settings.

This game is very sensitive to resolution. I tried dropping it to 800x600 just for shits and was amazed to find that large portions of the game were able to run at 60 fps. The framerate saw massive improvement when dropping from 720p to 800x600. Moving up to 1080p results in an even greater LOSS in performance.

If you want to go high-res, you're going to have to lower details.

Ahh, I guess when I patched (or tried to) to 1.2 for some reason it didnt take. Last night I was launching and I noticed 1.0 version. After making sure the patch was applied correctly, 2560x1600 on MED is running smooth as butter.

1920x1200 on Very High still enjoys the drops into the high 20 FPSs :D

Patch was needed, very pleased with my new $1500 rig.

aznpxdd

Took some shots while playing this afternoon, might as well share them I guess.

crysis642008-04-3022-03-46-87.jpg

crysis642008-05-0101-22-50-72.jpg

crysis642008-05-0114-39-57-52.jpg

crysis642008-05-0114-48-55-14.jpg

j-wood

I'm LTTP on Crysis.

But I just got a new video card and am playing it now. It's a pretty awesome FPS. This is the first one I've really enjoyed playing in awhile (it's up there with HL2 ep 2 and FEAR).

Core 2 Duo 2.3 GHz (e6550)
2 gigs of DDR2800 cruical balistix
eVGA 9600gt
7200rpm HDD

I'm running it at 1366 x 768, 2x AA, all medium details except for shader and object quality are high. It's also in DX10 mode. Running smooth as butter :)

I have run into a problem though. I'm not very far into the game, just the second section, where you
go rescue the first hostage. After I blow up the tanks though, nothing happens. The hostage and my teammate just stand in the room. Do I have to make sure everyone in the whole camp is dead?

dark10x

I'm running it at 1366 x 768, 2x AA, all medium details except for shader and object quality are high. It's also in DX10 mode. Running smooth as butter :)
Whoa now, medium? No, man, no. Medium looks like garbage next to the higher settings. You're PC *CAN* do it.

Seriously, try running the game in DX9 mode using the "Very High" config files or try installing either the Natural Mod or Cuban's mod. If you're only playing on medium you aren't getting anywhere NEAR the full impact of the game.

Furthermore, and this is VERY important, you should disable anti-aliasing. It's basically worthless for this game as it only works on solid edges and isn't compatible with the games built-in edge AA. Using edge AA on foliage looks better than standard anti-aliasing on everything else. Standard AA also decimates performance. You're framerate will be in the toilet with minimal visual improvement.

Also, make sure you disable AF as it isn't fully compatible (doesn't work with parallax occlusion maps).

Here's the Cuban cfg...

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18999

I have run into a problem though. I'm not very far into the game, just the second section
Ah, you might have run into a bug. Are you using Crysis 1.21 (the latest patch)? I wasn't sure if they addressed it or not, but I do know that doing certain things out of order in that segment can screw up the mission. You shouldn't pay attention to the hostage room, however. Just follow the waypoints. If nothing occurs, you may have caused a glitch. They aren't too common, but they can happen. It's something you have to deal with when playing an open ended game, I suppose.

Fortunately, if you follow my advice above, the game should look so much better than you'll WANT to replay the second level immediately. :D Just to demonstrate, here's some older shots I've taken of that level (and I've further improved the visuals)...

ScreenShot0041_1.jpg

ScreenShot0046_1.jpg

ScreenShot0034_1.jpg

bee

thought i'd post a few images from a mod and a single player level currently in production

Obsidian edge 2

The shots shown below were made to try out different lighting and atmosphere effects. The road is just a place holder and final dressing with props and such has not been done yet but we expect to see a large update soon.

jqkg9l.jpg

2iw4vn4.jpg

Vulcano map by [HP] , pretty sure hes posted on here

n6xsma.jpg

Spoit

I don't know if it's just that the underlying rendering engine is just that much better, or what, but all these mods look rediculously better than the ones a similar time frame into, say, source

dark10x

Spoit said:
I don't know if it's just that the underlying rendering engine is just that much better, or what, but all these mods look rediculously better than the ones a similar time frame into, say, source
It has to do with the editor itself. You can build amazing looking locales using just the included assets and achieve something rather different from any location in the actual game. The editor basically just lets you easily drop objects in and out. Even when you create new assets, it's just as easy to integrate them into the game.

I mean, you can just open the editor, mess around with the terrain, lighting, and water while dropping trees and buildings around the island and end up with something incredible looking. The engine itself handles a lot of the tricky stuff such as lighting by itself. The lighting is completely dynamic, so you don't need to worry about messing with custom shadows and lighting. Just set the time of day and the sun will take care of the rest or throw in other lights if you are dealing with non-island locations.

You can also immediately drop into the game world and test this stuff from within the editor. It's really impressive and is why we are seeing so many beautiful user maps.

bee

ive been playing around with sandbox editor for a while now and even installed the sdk, oh man do i suck, the mapping isn't too bad but the flowgraphs are wtf, then i come across this made by community member dark shadow and i think i should give up :p

its a flowgraph just for civilian behaviour, damn work of art, cant even do a 10 node flowgraph myself haha

zmdp91.jpg

Video Link

I actually bought a new rig for this game (well partially), but I don't actually like the gameplay at all. There's nothing really wrong or broken, it's just really not that fun to play. So I'm really looking forward to some total conversion mods of this game.

Penhoat said:
I actually bought a new rig for this game (well partially), but I don't actually like the gameplay at all. There's nothing really wrong or broken, it's just really not that fun to play. So I'm really looking forward to some total conversion mods of this game.

I'm not sure if this'll make it better for you, but I enjoyed the game most by playing it stealthily. Make use of cloak and the forest cover and speed when you need to fall back and I think it plays better than if you play guns blazing style. The sandbox seems to work best when you play like Solid Snake.

Penhoat said:
Turn up the difficulty. Max it out. It's much better that way.

dark10x

Penhoat said:
The game has a very steep learning curve so you might not want to give up on it just yet. It's not that it's difficult to play from the beginning, rather, it takes time for you to truly appreciate what you can do in the game.

njp142 said:
I'm not sure if this'll make it better for you, but I enjoyed the game most by playing it stealthily. Make use of cloak and the forest cover and speed when you need to fall back and I think it plays better than if you play guns blazing style. The sandbox seems to work best when you play like Solid Snake.
WHOAguitarninja said:
Turn up the difficulty. Max it out. It's much better that way.
I'll combine these two then, thanks. :)

rabhw

As was mentioned earlier, I strongly suggest playing stealthily. That's what really made a lot of the mechanics click for me, and made the game so much better. It seems obvious now, but on my first playthrough I would catch myself entering enemy complexes through the front gates, and then it hit me that I could easily sneak around the back and just jump OVER the walls they have set up. Stuff like that, just experiment with the mechanics and have fun while being stealthy.

Those mods look incredible, kinda like how I was hoping GTA4 would look. The scene really isn't all that complex, but something about the lighting model is just so much more realistic, and much cleaner.

Edit: dark, would you mind posting your most recent cfg file? Unless it hasn't changed since this.

Is there any where to get the collector's edition for reasonably cheap since the regular has been taking price drops. Cheapest seems newegg with 47 before shipping :/ Sorry if this doesn't belong here. If I can't get collectors cheaper I guess I'll get it at CC this week.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Fuck you stealthy guys. I drive vehicles right into the middle of a base (crashing through as many people/destructable structures as possible) and preditor my way around using all my powers to strike fear into my prey.

Solid snaking sucks. You have the power to pick a man up and throw him with such force that it can kill another man. Use it. Be creative.

Slo

aznpxdd said:
Played through the game on normal the first time with Cuban's custom config. Now playing through the game again on modded Delta and Helder's config...it looks like a entirely different game. Much better shadow and very cool depth of field effect. Here's a comparison shot for anyone interested.

Cuban:
crysis642008-03-2817-08-34-38.jpg

Helder:
crysis642008-04-2422-48-59-93.jpg

How'd the Helder mod affect the framerate?

FirewalkR

BobsRevenge said:
Fuck you stealthy guys. I drive vehicles right into the middle of a base (crashing through as many people/destructable structures as possible) and preditor my way around using all my powers to strike fear into my prey.

Solid snaking sucks. You have the power to pick a man up and throw him with such force that it can kill another man. Use it. Be creative.

ani.gif

PS: Your avatar really suits you. :lol

1-D_FTW

This is a kickass thread. Since it's on sale at Circuit City I figured I'd finally pop in the thread and check it out. All the mods have sold me on getting it.

There was no way I could pass on the Circuit City deal. I've only played through the first level so far, but I'm blown away. As someone else posted, it would be cool if you could post your updated config, dark10x.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Kadey said:
Playing crysis made me realize how much I suck at PC shooters.

I thought it was pretty easy, even on Delta. It's a bit easier if you keep in mind that every KPA patrol doesn't need to be disturbed by a hail of bullets.

So I just bought this...

Asus P5E3 Deluxe (Intel X38)
Intel Core 2 Quad QX6850 (3 GHz)
Patriot Finned 4 x 1 GB DDR3 1333 MHz 7-7-7-20
Nvidia 9800 GX2
Western Digital WD5000AAKS
Coolermaster RealPower Pro 850 W
Windows Vista 64bit SP1

based on the machine used for benchmarking the 9800 GX2 on Tom's hardware. i haven't done any tweaking yet (or patched), but they're saying i should get 30fps ish in DX10 at 1920 x 1200 with everything on Very High but shadows... well, i didn't get that. it did run smoothly with everything on High... haven't installed fraps yet to know what i was getting but it was defiantely 30+

does the patch improve performance? i know they benchmarked on 1.2 with Aero and a few other things off (which i didn't have off). i'm going to try those tweaks tonight... but failing that what other tweaks should i do (vista or game)? are any of these suggested configs designed around a rig like mine?

edit: also, AA and AF were off, as in the benchmarks.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Kadey said:
I guess that's my problem. I'd rather be gabe logan than solid snake.

Why not both? Engage the cloak, lay low and wait for the patrols to leave themselves open for attack. Once you've thinned them out, you can go in guns blazing and fists flailing!

Maximum Win.

To be honest, I had difficulty adjusting to the opening levels as well. There's almost no hand-holding aside from the introduction of the suit and controls after you splashdown. Once the sun comes up, you're on your own and if you're used to being able to pick apart enemy drones without stirring the hornet's nest, then you'll be in for a surprise when a dozen more KPA swarm in on your position.

But I think once you understand the dynamic of the open combat and master how you want to utilize the various nanosuit functions, the gameplay really opens up. You'll start hatching plans and unleashing your mastery on dozens of enemies and when you do, it really feels amazing.

Top Bottom