• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

Gestahl

Well with Mster's config and AA turned off I'm averaging 40-45 fps at the best of times and 30-35 at the worst of times, this is pretty satisfactory.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gestahl said:
Well with Mster's config and AA turned off I'm averaging 40-45 fps at the best of times and 30-35 at the worst of times, this is pretty satisfactory.
Mine is more like 22-28 with my stuff, almost done setting everything up again.

careful

Hot damn. Those are the nicest in-game screen shots I've seen so far.

DennisK4 said:
The following screenshots are using the the extreme version of the Extreme Quality 1.34 config.

EDIT: There you go :p

dLMN8R

nib95 said:
This game is a bit of a joke optimisations wise, in that in teases to no avail. Even with my 3.9ghz i7, a GTX 275 at 725/1555/1250, 12GB of ram, with Msters config at max (very high settings except for blur and shadows), 1680 x 1050 with 2xMSAA (MS doesn't seem to make any difference), I still can't keep the frame rate above 30fps. Dips below 30 way too often for my liking. So once and for all, what config/mod would you guys recommend for my set up? I've been waiting to properly play through this game for aeons.

I can't believe 3-4 GPU's later I still can't comfortably play this game totally maxed out as originally advertised and shown on forums all too often.
I'm sorry, but that's just absurd. Mster's config at max runs worse than Very High settings does. Multisampling absolutely kills Crysis performance, while making the game actually look worse than it does without it (no edge-AA smoothing out the foliage.

Furthermore? What the hell do you expect? Why does it matter if it's "3-4 GPUs later"? For one, GPUs haven't been improving at an exponential rate as they have been in the many generations before the 8800 series, and for two, it's still completely destroys ever single part of the competition.

Even at High settings instead of Very High settings, it still beats the pants off of everything else out there.

How can you make claims about its "optimization" when there's no other game on the face of the planet that demonstrates the same visuals but "optimized"?

Want to see an "unoptimized game"? Look at STALKER: Clear Sky, to start. Performs far worse than Crysis does maxed out, yet isn't nearly as impressive technically.

DennisK4 said:
Yep, Crysis is truly remarkly in that it can be played at a surprisingly low fps and still feel ok whereas other games at that fps would be unplayable. I wonder why that is?
It's not motion blur, as others say. It's instantaneous input routines. Crytek developed an engine that disassociates your mouse and keyboard input from the graphics rendering, meaning that no matter how low your FPS goes (well, to a point), it's still responds just as quickly.

Go play almost any other FPS, and you'll notice that as your frame rate goes down, your mouse lag goes up.

Motion blur means nothing when it comes to the playability and responsiveness of the game.

Gestahl

Okay I'm getting a lot of sound crackling in this game now and it's making it near unplayable. It happens even without any special configs installed.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I got Crysis a while ago but my PC cant run it properly. Pretty much below 15FPS all the time :lol
though i had a blast playing with Sandbox. I put lots of tree and stuff to play.

Gestahl

Finished the game, but looking at my task manager Crysis near the end was gobbling up nearly 75% of my 4 gigs. I was getting a ton of annoying crashes too so I had to go into DX9 mode. Played the steam version.

Is something I can do to make it not do this?

Gestahl said:
Finished the game, but looking at my task manager Crysis near the end was gobbling up nearly 75% of my 4 gigs. I was getting a ton of annoying crashes too so I had to go into DX9 mode. Played the steam version.

Is something I can do to make it not do this?

I think nearly everyone on that last level running in DX10 had crashing, deffinately something up with that level in DX10, sadly it never got anything done to fix it, the only "fix" being run it in DX9.

Gestahl

Ogs said:
I think nearly everyone on that last level running in DX10 had crashing, deffinately something up with that level in DX10, sadly it never got anything done to fix it, the only "fix" being run it in DX9.

It was frustrating too because I was having enough trouble figuring out if I was actually damaging the boss. If any of the npcs had said "hey maybe you should shoot rockets at it until it dies" or something along those lines it would have been far less of a bumpy ride.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gestahl said:
It was frustrating too because I was having enough trouble figuring out if I was actually damaging the boss. If any of the npcs had said "hey maybe you should shoot rockets at it until it dies" or something along those lines it would have been far less of a bumpy ride.
Shouldn't that always be your mindset? :lol

Spoit

Gestahl said:
All the NPCs were dead within a couple minutes of the boss fight for me

Gestahl said:

Hey at least you could actually figure it out eventually. On my playthough the boss got in some odd AI loop and never opened up one of the weak points that you needed to shoot. Had to go back a few saves to get rid of the issue. And this was after the first boss in the game also glitched out totally on me.

Gestahl

Hazaro said:
Shouldn't that always be your mindset? :lol

Well but I mean I just went through Warhead and when you were actually dealing damage to the big baddies, your allies chime in and say you're weakening it or whatever whereas at the end of Crysis it was STAY CLOSE TO IT!? and silence with the occasional soldier's scream.

Oh and is there any reason the Steam version doesn't include the 64-bit version? That was probably hampering my performance with the original since Warhead ran like butter till the train level.

Awntawn

dLMN8R said:
Even at High settings instead of Very High settings, it still beats the pants off of everything else out there.
Here's where the disputes become legit. At Very High, it blows the pants off of everything in every way. On High, it's still great as an overall package and is impressive that it all runs together, but visually there are better looking games on more restricted specs. Still gorgeous? Absolutely. But not "beating the pants off" of anything, especially considering:
How can you make claims about its "optimization" when there's no other game on the face of the planet that demonstrates the same visuals but "optimized"?
The thing that I personally mean by poor optimization is how inconsistent it performs. I find a sweet spot with settings and it goes a silky smooth 30 fps at the start, then it drops to 20 as I go further, then 15 during select firefights. Then it goes into an indoor cave and all of a sudden it's running at 60. Suddenly I pop into a snow level and I'm running at a slideshow. I constantly have to re-adjust my settings to keep the game playable, that to me is horrible optimization.

I know what you mean, for example on the second level, when you enter that base to rescue the hostage, things can get ridiculously choppy. Then, just a little way past that, when your fighting in the forest, its all peaches n cream. Things like that were a bit annoying.

Maxirugi

So I just got a new PC and wanted something to test it out :p

I've got this in the post and should be with me in a few days, I've been playing the demo in the meantime.

I'm running on an Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 (2.33Ghz), Radeon HD 4890 1GB, 4GB RAM.

The demo seems to run it pretty smoothly with everything on high and no AA at 1920x1080, except for a minor chug when looking out into wide open spaces, and looking down the ironsights (due to the DoF effect I'm guessing).

Is the demo a good indication of how well overall the game will run, or do things get far more complex later on?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Maxirugi said:

I've got this in the post and should be with me in a few days, I've been playing the demo in the meantime.

I'm running on an Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 (2.33Ghz), Radeon HD 4890 1GB, 4GB RAM.

The demo seems to run it pretty smoothly with everything on high and no AA at 1920x1080, except for a minor chug when looking out into wide open spaces, and looking down the ironsights (due to the DoF effect I'm guessing).

Is the demo a good indication of how well overall the game will run, or do things get far more complex later on?
The game runs better than then demo afaik.

Install [HP] 1.31 or Mster config too for better looks at no performance hit.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I just started playing the "Assault" level. The level before it was just genius in terms of leve design and freedom. I could have taken any path and approached every situation in a variety of ways. The level design was so good that no matter how many times I died (playing the game on hard) I still found another way or another path that was both interesting and fun. The "boss" at the graveyard was so cinematic and interesting, hiding behind tombstones, watching them crumble as they are shot.

And then I started the Assault level. I have never seen anything this cinematic. The graphics are beyond words. After watching that I can't believe anyone would respect Hideo Kojima. It put almost everything else to shame. That intro alone accomplished more than what the entire campaign in cod4 was going for.

Why the hell doesn't the gaming media recognize the brilliance of this game?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Haha I literally played through those levels last night and yes they are awesome action gaming. I keep playing more than I intend to just to see what else they have in store for me. "Just one more section" syndrome.

otake

AstroLad said:
Haha I literally played through those levels last night and yes they are awesome action gaming. I keep playing more than I intend to just to see what else they have in store for me. "Just one more section" syndrome.

I keep replaying the same levels, just to see what I can get away with.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nice post, Crysis will do that do you. :lol

I remember Harbour's amazing jet crash (I wonder what it would be like with 5.1) and peering over the bay looking at the sun rise up and just thinking.

"Holy shit, this game is amazing."

Then proceed stealthily through the waters, hijacking a boat, wrecking it into a mine, going into the sewers, poping out and cloak-strength jumping onto the roof to slowly pick off guys hiding behind shipping crates with a silenced SMG.

-SD-

Banned
otake said:
IGN: Top 25 PC Games of All Time
17) Crysis

Developer:
Crytek Studios
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Year Released: 2007

Synopsis: Crysis may be the newest game on this list, but it's earned its position on this list. While Crysis is often noted for its bleeding-edge technology, it's the way the designers used that technology to deliver better gameplay that's more important. This isn't just a prettier shooter; it's an incredibly dynamic shooter that plays differently thanks to the decisions that you make in the heat of battle. There's nothing quite like getting into a huge firefight with a North Korean squad and seeing the gunfire and explosions shatter the forest around you. Mastering the nanosuit lets you play as the ultimate predator, using stealth, speed, and strength to almost play with your opponents at times. And the game delivers an incredibly thrilling experience that keeps on escalating, whether it's a gorgeous tank battle while the island is falling apart from you to an aerial sequence that has you dodging tornadoes in a dogfight.

squicken

Started playing this and am surprised I can run it at high and 720p with good framerate.

My initial impresions are that there are too many commands for my poor 360 pad. Not helping is the apparent fact that no one at Crytek has apparently ever played a console game before, b/c the inexplicably non-adjustable layout is total shit.

AKS

Maxirugi said:

I have the same CPU as you and an overclocked HIS 4850. I generally average around 30 fps at 720p using the level 4 of the CCC mod or a combination of very high and high.

You should probably be fine with the settings you are using and that card, although you are probaby still going to chug during certain parts of the game. That game is very uneven regarding it's processing demands from level to level. You might have to drop res on the train level or the last section, for example.

Haunted

otake said:
I just started playing the "Assault" level. The level before it was just genius in terms of leve design and freedom. I could have taken any path and approached every situation in a variety of ways. The level design was so good that no matter how many times I died (playing the game on hard) I still found another way or another path that was both interesting and fun. The "boss" at the graveyard was so cinematic and interesting, hiding behind tombstones, watching them crumble as they are shot.

And then I started the Assault level. I have never seen anything this cinematic. The graphics are beyond words. After watching that I can't believe anyone would respect Hideo Kojima. It put almost everything else to shame. That intro alone accomplished more than what the entire campaign in cod4 was going for.
^_^ well said.

It truly is a benchmark for (action) gaming, both in gameplay and presentation.

Blizzard

Banned
Gestahl said:
Well but I mean I just went through Warhead and when you were actually dealing damage to the big baddies, your allies chime in and say you're weakening it or whatever whereas at the end of Crysis it was STAY CLOSE TO IT!? and silence with the occasional soldier's scream.

Oh and is there any reason the Steam version doesn't include the 64-bit version? That was probably hampering my performance with the original since Warhead ran like butter till the train level.
I just saw this, and I want to know too. I keep thinking I will eventually buy the original game (I own Warhead on Steam), but I don't see why it wouldn't include the 64-bit version if that's available...

dLMN8R

otake said:

Crysis was such a phenomenal technical achievement that still today, nearly two years later, is more impressive than anything else out there, so it would've had to be 10x the shooter of anything else for anyone to give a shit.

Unfortunately, console fanboys, retarded conversations about piracy, and exaggerated descriptions of system requirements kept this game from ever getting the serious look by the mainstream public it deserved.

The pure vitriol that I read about Crysis on forums like Blue's News, Digg, and other places is just plain sad. "Gamers", if you can even call them that, destined themselves to hate the game from the outset because they couldn't possibly comprehend the idea of Crysis being a great game on top of a mindblowing technical achievement, and as a result pick apart every single possible nit as if it's a devastating deal-breaker that makes it a horrible game.

That, added to the fact that you need to inject a bit of your own creativity into the mix for it to stay interesting. I can't count the number of times people say they played through using Stealth the entire time, pissed about that, ignoring the fact that they didn't have to. Or how many people bitch about how many shots enemies take, probably because they never decided to take the silencer off the weapon.

Can someone please tell me how to enable AF in this game? I am running the latest video drivers.

When using catalyst control center I tried playing around with it, but not matter what I choose I get no AF!.

My card is the ATI radeon 4890.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dLMN8R said:
The pure vitriol that I read about Crysis on forums like Blue's News, Digg, and other places is just plain sad. "Gamers", if you can even call them that, destined themselves to hate the game from the outset because they couldn't possibly comprehend the idea of Crysis being a great game on top of a mindblowing technical achievement, and as a result pick apart every single possible nit as if it's a devastating deal-breaker that makes it a horrible game.

That, added to the fact that you need to inject a bit of your own creativity into the mix for it to stay interesting. I can't count the number of times people say they played through using Stealth the entire time, pissed about that, ignoring the fact that they didn't have to. Or how many people bitch about how many shots enemies take, probably because they never decided to take the silencer off the weapon.

Not really, I just dont think it was as fun as people make it out to be. Some levels were phenominal, others stupidly linear. The enemy variety blows, and the alien combat is average. The zero-G level sucked and the end boss battle was craptacula. The story wasn't any good anyway.

I'm more than happy to praise Crytek for their technical achievements, in creating a game that's still on a technical level still the most advanced game on the market. But I'm not going to praise them for a game that, while far better than FarCry, still feels to me like a mixture of sloppy design decisions enjoyable thank's to sadly infrequent moments of glory.

Dennis

Banned
flipswitch said:
Can someone please tell me how to enable AF in this game? I am running the latest video drivers.

When using catalyst control center I tried playing around with it, but not matter what I choose I get no AF!.

My card is the ATI radeon 4890.
You cannot have AF enabled at the same time as POM (parallax occlusion mapping). You have to choose.

Dennis

Banned
To anybody who have yet to play Crysis: play it on the Delta difficulty setting, it makes the game so much more involving and forces intelligent use of the nanosuit. Just temporarily set the difficulty to easy or normal if you have trouble in some Boss or vehicle section.

squicken

EatChildren said:
Not really, I just dont think it was as fun as people make it out to be. Some levels were phenominal, others stupidly linear. The enemy variety blows, and the alien combat is average. The zero-G level sucked and the end boss battle was craptacula. The story wasn't any good anyway.

I'm more than happy to praise Crytek for their technical achievements, in creating a game that's still on a technical level still the most advanced game on the market. But I'm not going to praise them for a game that, while far better than FarCry, still feels to me like a mixture of sloppy design decisions enjoyable thank's to sadly infrequent moments of glory.

I just finished it and agree with the complaints about the aliens and zero g stuff. The aliens just weren't fun to fight, and the zero g stuff lasted too long.

Also, my game got corrupted at the very end and I had to replay the whole level. I kept reverting to previous saves but the glitches didn't stop.

On the plus side the early stuff against the Koreans was great, and that CCC 2.1 mod made the game look fantastic.

Which is the whole internal conflict of PC gaming and me. I just want it to work, and PC games take a bit of effort to get working properly. But then that effort can yield such enhanced gaming experiences. Guess I liked it enough to go straight to Warhead later this week :)

Leunam

Beat the game on Delta a while back. I have the same gripe with this game as I did with FarCry. Everything prior to the non-human stuff showing up is awesome and endlessly replayable for me.

otake

EatChildren said:

whatever, near the end of assault I decided to use my fist instead of guns. I used a combination of maximum speed and quickly changing to max strength, while circling around trees to recharge. so awesome....

I'm actually thinking of getting far cry 2 after this. Worth it?

Reno7728

otake said:
whatever, near the end of assault I decided to use my fist instead of guns. I used a combination of maximum speed and quickly changing to max strength, while circling around trees to recharge. so awesome....

I'm actually thinking of getting far cry 2 after this. Worth it?

Only f your willing to put aside many more flaws than crysis offers. There are so many mind numbing poor decisions in FC2 that you have to change your play style to counter the issues.

That said, it was up there for the best game i played last year, the scope is just incredible, and each missions (despite their lack of variety) can just be taken on in son many different ways.

If you can find it for cheap and are willing to put in a bit of leeway - so worth it (IMO)

otake

Reno7728 said:
Only f your willing to put aside many more flaws than crysis offers. There are so many mind numbing poor decisions in FC2 that you have to change your play style to counter the issues.

That said, it was up there for the best game i played last year, the scope is just incredible, and each missions (despite their lack of variety) can just be taken on in son many different ways.

If you can find it for cheap and are willing to put in a bit of leeway - so worth it (IMO)

It's $19.99 on steam. It's either Far cry 2 or Fallout 3 but I'd rather wait for the GOTY edition of Fallout 3 with all the DLC in it.

kodt

Banned
otake said:
It's $19.99 on steam. It's either Far cry 2 or Fallout 3 but I'd rather wait for the GOTY edition of Fallout 3 with all the DLC in it.

Far Cry 2 was fun for the first 4-5 hours. Then it was horribly repetitive, the graphics are great but doing the same cookie cutter missions over and over gets old. And the respawning checkpoints.

I actually thought it was great at first, but once the missions started to repeat I got sick of it, similar to Assassins Creed.

Reno7728

kodt said:
Far Cry 2 was fun for the first 4-5 hours. Then it was horribly repetitive, the graphics are great but doing the same cookie cutter missions over and over gets old. And the respawning checkpoints.

I actually thought it was great at first, but once the missions started to repeat I got sick of it, similar to Assassins Creed.

I found that but I think you need to adapt to that, a problem i heard many people complaining about is that they found missions far too samey, which is probably true, but i think personal variation (similar to crysis) is important. For example if you try every mission at night stealth style, you see the flaws associated with that style, and the missions feel similar, so you start to dislike it, if you keep varying your tactics it stays quite fresh.

A big point (not originally made by me) is to play like clint eastwood in the good the bad and the ugly.

otake

Then I have a problem. I can't stand tf2 lately (latest update ruined it for me), red alert multiplayer, while fun, is incredibly frustrating and I refuse to go back to mmo's. I want a new game, darn it!

Top Bottom