• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

Reno7728 said:
Only f your willing to put aside many more flaws than crysis offers. There are so many mind numbing poor decisions in FC2 that you have to change your play style to counter the issues.

That said, it was up there for the best game i played last year, the scope is just incredible, and each missions (despite their lack of variety) can just be taken on in son many different ways.

If you can find it for cheap and are willing to put in a bit of leeway - so worth it (IMO)

Shouldn't this be the type of situation where modding helps to improve at least the PC version of the game? I have no clue, as I've never played Far Cry 2, but it seems like much of GAF has the same complaints about the game (enemy respawning, travel times and what not) so I would expect that community mods would be flying around out there to tweak these issues. Is there some reason this isn't happening with Far Cry 2?

Reno7728

TheFightingFish said:
Shouldn't this be the type of situation where modding helps to improve at least the PC version of the game? I have no clue, as I've never played Far Cry 2, but it seems like much of GAF has the same complaints about the game (enemy respawning, travel times and what not) so I would expect that community mods would be flying around out there to tweak these issues. Is there some reason this isn't happening with Far Cry 2?

Spot on.

But i think ubisoft never released mod tools for it (despite it having an awesome editor) which is the only reasonable explanation for the utter lack of mods.

Thanks for the help on my previous question.

During the CPU benchmark, my cpu usage was around 20- 30%.My settings were mostly on high/very high running at 1400x900.I then tried lowering my resolution, and lowered all my graphics, but I left physics on very high.The cpu usage was the same? Any reason for it?
My cpu is i7 920.
What is the best config file to use for this game,and do I go about using it?

Don't get Far Cry 2 expecting a similar experience.

That game had the potential to be amazing but it ended up being completely awful. And the more you play the more you see how good it could have been, making the whole experience that much worse.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
otake said:
whatever, near the end of assault I decided to use my fist instead of guns. I used a combination of maximum speed and quickly changing to max strength, while circling around trees to recharge. so awesome....

You also just mentioned one of the most open and enjoyable levels in the entire game, so it's not surprising you have a good memory there.

I can see how some people enjoyed it more than me, I just think it had too many flaws in its design to warrant it making any Best PC Game lists. I guess my biggest problems come from many of the hyped aspects; Zero-G level sucked, the gun attachment system was insanely basic, and most levels were not very open.

As I've said, had the whole game played more like the open levels Assault and Onslaught I would have enjoyed the game a ton more. Onslaught was particuarly amazing thanks to the wealth of scattered enemies, various vehicles to fight and drive, huge open terrain, and allies helping you out. That level, to me, felt like a true 'sandbox' design, as you could literally play with all of the game's features in a single level.

I had problems finishing the last level ' reckoning because my computer would run out of ram.I have 6gb of ram, but I was using windows vista 32bit which only can use 3.25gb of ram.Anyway, I have windows 64 bit now so I can finally use all of it.

I was playing it yesterday for about 20mins, and guess what?, my ram usuage went to 97% and it started chugging in game.
I checked task manager and saw crysis using over 5gb! What's wrong with this game? Surely I could play this game with 6gb. Here's my setup:

intel core i7 920
ati radeon 4890
6gb ram.

playing in dx10 mode.

So has anyone actually completed this game? Apparently you can get through the last level by playing in dx9 mode, but why should I bother? I have the required specs to play it.

I am running the latest patch too.I'm not sure if I should purchase the expansion pack.

randomwab

flipswitch said:
playing in dx10 mode.

So has anyone actually completed this game? Apparently you can get through the last level by playing in dx9 mode, but why should I bother? I have the required specs to play it.

I just played through Crysis again in DX10 over the weekend, and the game kept crashing during the last stretch of the last level. I switched it over to DX9 and was able to finish the game fine. No idea what's up with it.

Manp

flipswitch said:
Is it even possible to complete the game in dx10 mode without switching to dx9?

i completed it like 3 or 4 times playing in in dx10 mode from beginning to end.

the game tend to suffer from memory leaks, but i've never seen it chugging to the point of being unplayable (i have 8 gigs of ram tho but the rest of the PC is not as good as yours).
are you on the last patch (1.2.1 iirc)?

:)

randomwab said:
I just played through Crysis again in DX10 over the weekend, and the game kept crashing during the last stretch of the last level. I switched it over to DX9 and was able to finish the game fine. No idea what's up with it.

It seems only up until the last level.

Im guessing theres some code problem with DX10 and that final level (memory leak ?), and sadly theyve never gone and fixed it (support after 2 patches (3 if the last one counts) being dropped and all that).

Wasnt the final level like the best example of exactly what DX10 does differently ?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hi guys, lately ive reading and testing stuff on the Sandbox2 Editor (Best editor evar!11!). And im close to start doing some maps... anyone here has experience doing mods or/and maps?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Quick impressions with spoilers since I just beat this over the weekend:

Really loved the game. I'm not a huge FPSer but every year there's one FPS that grabs me, and this was it. On a technical note, maybe it's just me but playing this on a new rig was huge. To me I enjoyed this so much more at an average 45 FPS than 30 FPS. Seems silly but just switching suit modes seamlessly and having everything silky smooth makes the game such a joy.

From a gameplay perspective, I thought the game struck a perfect balance between narrow and open world. Really not a fan of open world games, but I'm also tired of FPSes with boxes conveniently placed everywhere so that the entire game happens along essentially a small walkway. Here you could run around and either play Solid Snake or Duke depending on your mood, but the game never lost its focus.

The alien parts...well, the zero-G level was a terrible way to introduce the aliens. Really didn't like that level, and it seems I'm not alone in that. But afterwards the aliens grew on me. I do wish there was a greater variety but I thought they were good creepy enemies that created tense situations and felt quite different from the KPA.

Felt like a perfect action movie, which is probably the highest compliment I can pay an FPS.

Jumped right into Warhead as I was really stoked to get back onto the island and I'm enjoying it a lot as well. Feels more like a Disney ride than an action movie this time, but I don't mean that pejoratively.

AstroLad said:
Quick impressions with spoilers since I just beat this over the weekend:

Really loved the game. I'm not a huge FPSer but every year there's one FPS that grabs me, and this was it. On a technical note, maybe it's just me but playing this on a new rig was huge. To me I enjoyed this so much more at an average 45 FPS than 30 FPS. Seems silly but just switching suit modes seamlessly and having everything silky smooth makes the game such a joy.

From a gameplay perspective, I thought the game struck a perfect balance between narrow and open world. Really not a fan of open world games, but I'm also tired of FPSes with boxes conveniently placed everywhere so that the entire game happens along essentially a small walkway. Here you could run around and either play Solid Snake or Duke depending on your mood, but the game never lost its focus.

The alien parts...well, the zero-G level was a terrible way to introduce the aliens. Really didn't like that level, and it seems I'm not alone in that. But afterwards the aliens grew on me. I do wish there was a greater variety but I thought they were good creepy enemies that created tense situations and felt quite different from the KPA.

Felt like a perfect action movie, which is probably the highest compliment I can pay an FPS.

Jumped right into Warhead as I was really stoked to get back onto the island and I'm enjoying it a lot as well. Feels more like a Disney ride than an action movie this time, but I don't mean that pejoratively.
Warhead is definitely more action oriented than vanilla but it has some really great set pieces, especially after the halfway point.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Spoit said:
Have you looked at the crymod forums? There seems to be a veritable cornucopia of sandbox information there
Yeah, im learning everything from those forums. Crytek support is beyond amazing.
Just wanted to know if any gaffer was into Crysis modding.

Fersis said:
Yeah, im learning everything from those forums. Crytek support is beyond amazing.
Just wanted to know if any gaffer was into Crysis modding.
There's always [HP] although he was hired by Crytek and hasn't been posting here as much since then.

diddlyD

Banned
after playing the first area of this game over and over to benchmark new rigs here and there, i finally sat down and powered my way through the game (well, im right near the end) just this weekend. this game has completely outdone my expectations, i was expecting the first area repeated ad nauseum with some aliens at the end, but the variety of locations, scenarios, story, and gameplay styles are fantastic.

and the graphics.. man oh man. playing on a core i7 at 3.2 ghz with a 4870x2, i found the right balance at very high settings, DX10, 1680x1050, no AA, and got a decent 30+ fps for most of the game. the visuals are stunning, even for a two year old game, i haven't seen anything else that can hold a candle to it. many times the game starts looking literally like real life in the jungle, or high end prerendered CG in the later alien stages. and yes it ate up all my 6 gig of ram a few times and crashed my system (i have the swap file turned off with vista 64, and i was running the 64bit binary). it also crashed my video card in its "overclocked to 4890 speed" spec after about 10 minutes, which no other game has managed to do, so i had to play it with my card at default speed. the game just hammers on even the fastest hardware at highest settings.

can't wait to jump into warhead next.

Fersis

MickeyKnox said:
There's always [HP] although he was hired by Crytek and hasn't been posting here as much since then.
Really ?Nice.
The crymod forums are full of Crytek guys and they are so open and nice to share lots of tips and how-to's.
Im still amazed by the editor and the engine, Crytek is second to none.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God damn it, I have NO clue where to ask this and I really need an answer... I was wondering if you needed Crysis to play Warhead?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BattleMonkey said:
No it's stand alone. But it also wont make much sense if you haven't played Crysis....
Thanks! Yeah I know but I just bought Warhead mostly so that I can try out my new computer <,< It's supposed to run better than the original right? Also, what are some really nice graphics mods out there?

Warhead ran worse for me than the original at the same setting so no idea. I had to turn down all kinds of settings to get an acceptable framerate at various parts in Warhead for some reason as I would go from 30-40fps to single digits....

No clue.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Seiken said:
Thanks! Yeah I know but I just bought Warhead mostly so that I can try out my new computer <,< It's supposed to run better than the original right? Also, what are some really nice graphics mods out there?
Warhead runs a tad better, but Crysis is a much better game.

Crysis is a masterpiece. I'd just buy it. Then play through both of them in order. Warhead is definitely worth playing, but Crysis is currently the high-water mark of the FPS genre in gameplay and graphics.

Yoshichan

BobsRevenge said:
Warhead runs a tad better, but Crysis is a much better game.

Crysis is a masterpiece. I'd just buy it. Then play through both of them in order. Warhead is definitely worth playing, but Crysis is currently the high-water mark of the FPS genre in gameplay and graphics.
I heard from someone that you played and beat the game like 5 times, is that true? Really, I've got to play Crysis now... Is it available on Steam?

BobsRevenge

Seiken said:
I heard from someone that you played and beat the game like 5 times, is that true? Really, I've got to play Crysis now... Is it available on Steam?
Well, I doubt you heard from someone that I played and beat the game 5 times (you most likely heard it from me and its probably more than 5).

Yes, Crysis is available on Steam.

And just make sure you play like you are a God. Like you're the goddamn batman. The game is really empowering, but you have to take advantage of it and be creative with the tools it gives you to get the full experience.

edit: Make sure you play it on Delta after your first time through as well. Its the only way to play it after your acclimated.

Yoshichan

BobsRevenge said:
Well, I doubt you heard from someone that I played and beat the game 5 times (you most likely heard it from me and its probably more than 5).

Yes, Crysis is available on Steam.

And just make sure you play like you are a God. Like you're the goddamn batman. The game is really empowering, but you have to take advantage of it and be creative with the tools it gives you to get the full experience.

edit: Make sure you play it on Delta after your first time through as well. Its the only way to play it after your acclimated.
Like Batman? Fucking gotcha. Also, you're pretty much saying that I'm going to play the game twice! Bold statement, I didn't even play HL2 more than once :D

EDIT: Just finished downloading the demo of the original, gonna see how it runs... pray to god this new crap computer don't fail me on this one. Also is there a way to check my framerate without downloading a bunch of crap?

Yoshichan

Well holy crap, I just used my EPU-6 Engine-program I got with my computer and clicked on the "rocket" (it was originally on a walking man) and by the sound of it it looks like my computer's going to break any second. Sounds like a frikkin dishwasher! Well here goes nothing!

Seiken said:
Like Batman? Fucking gotcha. Also, you're pretty much saying that I'm going to play the game twice! Bold statement, I didn't even play HL2 more than once :D

EDIT: Just finished downloading the demo of the original, gonna see how it runs... pray to god this new crap computer don't fail me on this one. Also is there a way to check my framerate without downloading a bunch of crap?

Hit the console key tilde (~) then type r_displayinfo=1 to get framerate in the top right corner (I beleive. its been awhile since ive played the game)

Blizzard

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
I have only played part of Warhead, and I still haven't gotten Crysis. But my only experience with Warhead was kind of disappointing about being rambo-like. Basically if I tried using the maximum armor or maximum strength, or was visible ANYWHERE within half a mile, any soldier in the area would shoot me with high accuracy, and I wouldn't be able to kill them very well. Fortunately, I enjoyed going permanently invisible and just killing everyone with a sniper rifle in the forest.

Oh, and I seem to recall shooting some soldiers meant THE ENTIRE CAMP was alerted to your location and presence, and a helicopter/jeep full of soldiers (maybe endlessly respawning, who knows) would come to hunt you down.

And I'm pretty sure that was something like normal difficulty. :(

Maybe I was just really unlucky, but it sure didn't feel like a game where you could survive by being visible to the auto-aim enemies.

BobsRevenge

Seiken said:

EDIT: Just finished downloading the demo of the original, gonna see how it runs... pray to god this new crap computer don't fail me on this one.
Crysis is a lot more replayable than HL2 due to the flexibility in how you approach the situations. The game is linear enough to give you clear direction, but its also sandboxy in the sense that it gives you a bunch of toys and lets you figure out how to best play with them. So, since there are so many options in how you play I doubt you'll feel like you're done with the game after your first time through.

The delta difficulty is a much different experience as well. It forces you to approach situations more acutely, and to plan your attack better. Since playing through the game once gives you a good idea of what the various situations will bear, you'll be able to find a really creative and empowering way to tackle a situation. When you pull something truly awesome off in Crysis there is nothing to compare it to, because you know that you were the main actor in it. You know that you made it unfold the way it did.

Warhead is a much more linear game than the original Crysis was.

Also the whole stealth thing is based on several factors. The lighting, being around foilage, being crouched, moving slowly, all affect enemies being able to see you.

Move slowly crouched around the foilage and you can walk right up to bad guys and mess up their day.

BobsRevenge

Blizzard said:
I have only played part of Warhead, and I still haven't gotten Crysis. But my only experience with Warhead was kind of disappointing about being rambo-like. Basically if I tried using the maximum armor or maximum strength, or was visible ANYWHERE within half a mile, any soldier in the area would shoot me with high accuracy, and I wouldn't be able to kill them very well. Fortunately, I enjoyed going permanently invisible and just killing everyone with a sniper rifle in the forest.

Oh, and I seem to recall shooting some soldiers meant THE ENTIRE CAMP was alerted to your location and presence, and a helicopter/jeep full of soldiers (maybe endlessly respawning, who knows) would come to hunt you down.

And I'm pretty sure that was something like normal difficulty. :(

Maybe I was just really unlucky, but it sure didn't feel like a game where you could survive by being visible to the auto-aim enemies.
That's odd. I honestly haven't played the game on anything but delta since the first time I beat it back when it first came out, so I don't remember it well. Warhead is a more straightforward game than Crysis though, ESPECIALLY on normal.

I felt like Crysis was twice the game Warhead was, and I think that's mainly because Warhead was designed to be played on normal and to be an action-movie game. Crysis definitely has a summer action-movie feel to it, but it doesn't lose its adventure or variety to it. The gameplay of Crysis was much more polished, at least for the way I play.

A lot of Warhead was awkward to play on Delta, which I believe is indicative of the more mainstream gameplay design. Crysis plays optimally on Delta, where you have to really think about how you approach a situation. Warhead was designed to work around the gameplay presented in the normal difficulty, while Crysis blooms at delta.

edit: And when you get to the aliens, be sure to get the satisfaction of grabbing them by the neck and punching them in their weird fucking faces.

Yoshichan

Well I'm shocked, in a good fucking way. In my normal mind of me would I ever think I'd max this sucker out, especially on my computer. I started out on medium, it was super, super smooth. "All right", went to High, still amazingly smooth and it looked fucking amazing. Switched to very high and ALL OVER MY FACE HOW GOOD CAN THIS GAME LOOK? I swear to god I took some pictures and none of these fuckers look like they do on my screen! I bet everyone's already seen 20x more impressive shots but I want to post them because it makes _me_ feel good! I can't believe how much pictures ruin it.

BftxQenCt.jpg

fIldgZhbv.jpg

xrOJhnNJl.jpg

shreSVUXD.jpg

ZNYkBsYta.jpg

DyobcBDHc.jpg

CxQjJDWZl.jpg

rtdcaVzUp.jpg

Oh and...

eBCeBOPyj.jpg

BtiojphCw.jpg

TZLUqvLHS.jpg

God DAMN son!

Apparently, everything on very high, I had around 40-45 fps normally, during the action parts it dropped to around 25. Still extremely playable IMO! :D

Again, god DAMN!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Download either:

ultrahighqualitycfg_1.3.1.zip

or

Mster config.

Either one will boost your vHigh fps settings by around 8 in my experience while added more lighting effects and look just as good.

Also if you are running AA, some prefer it off, due to that giving foliage edge-AA (I am one of them)

Yoshichan

Wow! It worked with the demo, I just tried it out! Looks even more ridiculous now, a bit too much HDR sometimes (being inside a house and walking out bloomed me for 3 seconds) :lol but delicious!

Yoshichan

Wait, how in the heck is this giving me a 10 fps boost? And makes it look better? The fuck :lol I had 60fps during this area!

hcIYWNFiY.jpg

Compared to 40-45

xrOJhnNJl.jpg

Seiken said:
Wait, how in the heck is this giving me a 10 fps boost? And makes it look better? The fuck :lol I had 60fps during this area!

http://www.pici.se/pictures/hcIYWNFiY.jpg

Compared to 40-45

http://www.pici.se/pictures/xrOJhnNJl.jpg

Is that the Mster config? Thats the one I played on, and yeah, it definitely makes the game look better, the lighting changes give it a more natural look in my opinion, Crysis vanilla was to pristine and sterile with its bright blues and greens. The Mster config added a reddish tinge that gave me a very tropical island vibe that I felt was lacking from the original release. Oh, and the night sections become far darker which makes sense, you're in the middle of an island jungle/forest, it shouldnt be lit up as if theres a bunch of streetlights just around the corner.

Yoshichan

Guess what bitches! Crysis BOUGHT! All thanks to being convinced here, going to play it any minute now, can't fucking WAAAAAAAAAIT!

DieH@rd

Banned
Seiken said:
Guess what bitches! Crysis BOUGHT! All thanks to being convinced here, going to play it any minute now, can't fucking WAAAAAAAAAIT!

You will have fun, especially in the first half of the game [more open world'ed].

Dennis

Banned
-SD- said:
After? I would go full on Delta straight away! Gives the best first impression of Crysis.
Yes yes yes!!!

Anybody who haven't already played Crysis should play through on Delta. I did that for my first playthrough and it was one of the most amazing gaming experinces of my life - especially the first half of the game.

This is how the game is meant to be played, it forces you to use the enviroment and the nanosuit fully in orderto prevail. If you encounter a situation you simply cannot beat on Delta just temporarily lower the difficulty setting - I did that for some of the vehicle and alien sections.

My advice is to go through on Delta first. It's really not that difficult and the best way to play the game IMO is stealth and Delta helps support that.

Zzoram

I never bought Crysis because my friend with it constantly crashed during the last level and we built identical PCs. Instead I bought Crysis Warhead on Steam. Unfortunately, everyone seems to be making configs and mods specifically for Crysis and not Warhead, so I feel left out.

I haven't been to this thread in a while, but can anyone summarize for me the best visual configs at the moment for Warhead?

I have a Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM, Vista x64, Radeon HD4870 512MB. With the stock config, I played Warhead pretty well on a mix of Gamer and Enthusiast (High/Very High) with 0xAA, vsync on at 1680x1050 and got around 35fps average. My drivers are from last year, I don't know if any gains have been made in that area since then because the HD4870 512MB seems to be neglected now that ATI's top cards are all 1GB.

Top Bottom