• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis | PSN XBLA |OT| "It can run Crysis"

graywolf323 said:
so what's the verdict of PS3 vs 360 on this?
If we're to go by Crysis 2, which was released just months ago running on the same engine, the 360 version looked a little better. Of course Digital Foundry will have a full breakdown within a few days.

So what in the world are we supposed to do for
the last boss? I have that uber weapon but it won't lock. I have been "fighting" him for a while now and nothing new is happening.

sn00zer

IOnEI Falcon said:
So what in the world are we supposed to do for
the last boss? I have that uber weapon but it won't lock. I have been "fighting" him for a while now and nothing new is happening.
blow up his shoulder cannons first

Loving this but I have to say, maybe this is a result of the new sprinting system but this game takes one of my biggest gaming pet peeves that Call of Duty has and increases it.

When you're following an NPC and they run halfway between your sprint and walk speed so you constantly have to be switching back and forth to keep up with them. It annoys me.

Pyke Presco said:
Based on impressions from the first 15-20 minutes:
-Guns sound way better. Much more powerful, pistol is absolutely beastly sounding, as is the FY71. Scar not so much, but still heavier and deeper than it was on PC.
-Graphics look pretty good, there is an impressive amount of foliage and it sways when you move through it. Far more pop in than I ever saw on my PC, but it also runs much smoother than it ever did when I played it on an 8800, so its a fair enough trade off in my opinion
-lighting is gorgeous, a little more red toned than I remember vanilla Crysis being, but not nearly so much as when using for example Helder Pinto or Mster config.
-destructible trees and buildings are still here
-Controls are much smoother than the gamepad controls from the PC version. Rather than using the bumper and bringing up a radial menu that you select with the right stick, different suit powers are mapped to different buttons. Armor on LB, actively drains like in Crysis 2, Cloak on RB, Speed when sprinting(LS), lasts much longer than the PC version of Speed mode, Strength when jumping (hold A) or when throwing/melee (hold throw/melee attack). I assume this is fairly similar to Crysis 2 on consoles, as it seems pretty similar to what I recall of Crysis 2 being on PC
-Weapons menu comes up by holding BACK, you then toggle attachments with your face buttons (Silencer Y, Scopes A, Tac attachment/grenade launcher B, laser/flashlight X)
-D-Pad has binocs on UP, night vision on DOWN, fire mode toggle on LEFT and switch grenades on RIGHT
-had the game freeze right after connecting with Jester, had to reset console. Didn't happen on the second pass through, might have been a one off glitch
-buddy on the dock when you first crest the hill was not taking a piss in the water. Maybe removed for being offensive? Or maybe I just missed it, not sure. May have less enemies as well, when the flare went off no truck came down the road towards the beach hut. Scaled amount of enemies based on difficulty perhaps?(playing on normal, maybe its still there on Hard or Delta)
-Checkpoint saves only, no manual save option

EDIT:
-Speed mode, while slower, is still fast enough to permit you to dolphin jump up out of the water onto boats. Good enough for me.
-they've added the ammo box cues to your binoc visor like in Crysis 2, so you can easily locate weapon stashes or frag grenades from a distance. I don't recall that in Crysis 1, but I could be wrong.
Wow, thanks for the impressions. Sounds awesome. I'd gladly pay like 20 bucks if they ported a PC version with the new Crysis 2 suit controls and sound effects.

Whoa, those 360 screens on the last page look insane.

onken

Just finished the first chapter (on Delta because I'm hardcore). Yeah not bad actually, controls are pretty good but damn I miss kb/m. Looks pretty good for a console game, foliage looks kind of muddy but yeah, very nice all round.

Should've continued chopping and took out the second half of the game. Wait I kinda liked the snow level just for the graphics and it being a different environment...keep that one

Then it wouldn't be a port, it would be a remake with an enormous amount of added content...not worth Crytek's time for the sales it would get.

sn00zer said:
blow up his shoulder cannons first
Cool thank you. I was talking about the bit before. I guess I didn't realize what a bullet sponge it was.

So just beat it and I really loved the game. I enjoyed it though have to agree that parts of Act III are a little lacking. I just got bored. But it picked up again. I was playing the 360 version and you can't not be impressed while you are playing. Really, you are in the middle of a firefight and just glimpse at the mountains covered in foliage around you and it is pretty sweet! I am glad I finally got to play Crysis.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Heavy said:
Then it wouldn't be a port, it would be a remake with an enormous amount of added content...not worth Crytek's time for the sales it would get.
Enormous amount of content? Everything after *that* level adds up to about 2 hours tops.

OK. PS3 version here.

- Graphics are fine. Textures are ugly in some places, great in other places. Lighting makes everything a bit softer or "natural" I suppose, I like it overall. Framerate has held up pretty steady so far, saw a dip during a cutscene but that's the only time I really noticed. No tearing that I could tell, unlike the ridiculous tearing in the PC version (pre-patch). Jaggies are there, but the lighting seems to soften them up so it didn't hurt my eyes too bad. Overall image quality is good enough to give that sense of immersion, I did say "wow" a few times - I also said "eww" a few times too. I saw one graphical glitch - a jeep I shot caught fire and exploded while I ran around a corner, when I came back it looked perfectly fine.

- Gameplay. I like what they did with the controls in theory. The suit is simplified without feeling too gimped. The only thing that really bugs me is the sprint; it lasts longer but doesn't accelerate as quickly or whatever. Basically, I was unable to pull off the "flying ninja punch" to ambush enemies. Also, I couldn't figure out how to speed crawl - if you are even able to I'm not sure. Sprint does seem to last longer though. I do miss strength and speed being separate modes, but honestly what they did makes sense.......I just.....miss them. Feels weird not having a grenade hotkey too (you have to equip them first now). Everything is pretty intuitive overall though.

The rest of the classic Crysis gameplay seems to be fairly intact. Spotting enemies, setting up ambushes, messing with the physics (for better or worse), distracting enemies, and experimentation - like barreling down the road in a jeep, seeing an enemy jeep approach head on, jumping out at the last second and "BOOM", etc. I'm playing on Hard right now, enemies can see your cloak if you get too close and they will notice your laser dot as well if you aren't careful - I died once because I got too cocky. Feels good after the eZ mode that was Crysis 2. Honestly no game captures the feeling of being a predator like this one, and that feeling definitely carries over to the console version.

Sound - FUCK YES. They beefed up some of the guns/effects, and GOT DAMN if that music doesn't sound as good as ever. Make sure to turn it up in the options menu - they have it set to lower by default for some dumb fucking reason. Explosions sound great, they added some noises to the suit as well. Voices were crisp, I turned off subtitles for the immersion factor and had no problem understanding - granted I know the script by heart.

Overall - I'm very happy. It'll probably be my "go to" version because the PC version is still a pain in the ass to run sometimes. The save system doesn't bug me because I know where everything is, but I can see that being a turn off for some. If you get it I recommend playing on at least Hard, turning off the crosshair, turning on the blood and turning up the music when you boot it up for the first time.

Daigoro

thewesker said:
Yes. Turn off the 360.

how does that work? it will continue to download when the box is off.

i dont think its possible to pause a download unless you have multiple downloads going. then you can pause one in place of another. not sure what happens when you switch the box off though.

Any recommendations on how to go through on Delta? Also, how do you get modification points for your gun? It seems like the gun automatically has certain mods or doesn't. Thanks to everyone who already answered my questions thus far! I am ready to go again. So good!

IOnEI Falcon said:
Any recommendations on how to go through on Delta? Also, how do you get modification points for your gun? It seems like the gun automatically has certain mods or doesn't. Thanks to everyone who already answered my questions thus far! I am ready to go again. So good!

There are no points. You pick up the attachments as you go, like a normal person. On Delta, use binoculars to spot and track enemies. Avoid firefights as much as possible. BE A GHOST

PaddyOCanager said:
There are no points. You pick up the attachments as you go, like a normal person. On Delta, use binoculars to spot and track enemies. Avoid firefights as much as possible. BE A GHOST
Haha okay, sounds good! It is going to be a lot harder to sneak by than Crysis 2 for sure. Especially since half the objectives have you attacking stuff. Do you have to do the secondary objectives?

So you just pick them up. Hmm, okay I will have to find them. Thanks!

feel

Daigoro said:
how does that work? it will continue to download when the box is off.

i dont think its possible to pause a download unless you have multiple downloads going. then you can pause one in place of another. not sure what happens when you switch the box off though.
Cancel the download and then turn off the xbox. The partial download will remain on your hard-drive if you don't delete it manually, then tomorrow you go find Crysis in your Download History, choose Download Again and it will resume.

Kimosabae

Banned
For the most part, I'm impressed with this game's framerate.

Regarding framerates: why is the standard only a choice between 30 and 60, usually? Why not 40 fps, 50 or even 59 fps?

PaddyOCanager said:
Sound - FUCK YES. They beefed up some of the guns/effects, and GOT DAMN if that music doesn't sound as good as ever. Make sure to turn it up in the options menu - they have it set to lower by default for some dumb fucking reason.

Nothing dumb about this at all. First thing I do when I boot up any new game is lower the music slightly. I prioritize dialogue and sound fx above music in the sound experience and I was glad to see Cryteck felt the same. Nothing bothers me more than when in-game dialogue or sfx are threatened to be drowned out by the soundtrack.

Blizzard

Banned
Kimosabae said:
For the most part, I'm impressed with this game's framerate.

Regarding framerates: why is the standard only a choice between 30 and 60, usually? Why not 40 fps, 50 or even 59 fps?
At least on PCs, I suspect it's partly due to vsync and potentially due to the desire for a stable framerate over changing framerate. I'd like to think I prefer stable 30 fps over varying 30-50 fps, since it feels like things are chugging in that case.

At any rate, with vsync you wait to draw until the next screen update. Assuming you're using a 60 Hz monitor (and I honestly have no clue how PS3 and 360 do this, but maybe there's a similar refresh rate), you have roughly 17 ms to draw stuff. If your graphics take say, 20 ms, then you missed the update boat and have to draw your stuff on the next update cycle, for a total of 34 ms. Doing this repeatedly means you are effectively drawing at 30 fps. I guess the next steps down would be 20 fps and then 15 fps?

strata8

Kimosabae said:
Nothing dumb about this at all. First thing I do when I boot up any new game is lower the music slightly. I prioritize dialogue and sound fx above music in the sound experience and I was glad to see Cryteck felt the same. Nothing bothers me more than when in-game dialogue or sfx are threatened to be drowned out by the soundtrack.
This so much. Forget about the music - hearing the sounds of the birds, the ocean, and the wind blowing through the trees makes Crysis for me.

Kimosabae

Banned
Blizzard said:
At least on PCs, I suspect it's partly due to vsync and potentially due to the desire for a stable framerate over changing framerate. I'd like to think I prefer stable 30 fps over varying 30-50 fps, since it feels like things are chugging in that case.

At any rate, with vsync you wait to draw until the next screen update. Assuming you're using a 60 Hz monitor (and I honestly have no clue how PS3 and 360 do this, but maybe there's a similar refresh rate), you have roughly 17 ms to draw stuff. If your graphics take say, 20 ms, then you missed the update boat and have to draw your stuff on the next update cycle, for a total of 34 ms. Doing this repeatedly means you are effectively drawing at 30 fps. I guess the next steps down would be 20 fps and then 15 fps?

But why can't stability be found at the example numbers given? Why 30 and 60?

Blizzard

Banned
Kimosabae said:
But why can't stability be found at the example numbers given? Why 30 and 60?
It can, if the engine is written that way. If vsync is used, however, that's just the way it works based on the timing examples I described, and it's probably easier to flip the vsync switch on than to code your engine to be limited to a specific framerate.

I really don't know the details in this case so I'm just guessing though. Source engine games, for instance, sometimes let you provide a max framerate cap, so you could in theory run at 48 fps with no vsync if you wanted to. I guess in that case you might get tearing though, depending on how the engine handles drawing.

Not that many people care about such things, but the 3D (on the ps3 version atleast, haven't played the xbox version) is quite nice. IMO the 3d effect is nicer than Crysis 2 - which has a weird sheen to it from time to time.

Awesome download for $20. Psyched to play it again.

Yuripaw

Banned
Compared to how this ran on my PC, this is a fantastic port. I prefer the improved gamepad controls they did for Crysis 2, so I'm glad to have it in this game. This is entirely playable, and I'm really glad this came out.

Stuff like all the foliage, and huge open world was stuff I didn't think they could do on the console. Not to mention the destructible enviorments. It's all really impressive to see it running on a console.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Thought about buying this on xbla because I assumed it would be 10-15 TOPS.

7.50 on steam 20$ on Live.

Fuck off with that pricing, probably won't even bother now because this puts me off so hard.

Loving this so far, but I can't be the only who was disappointed that you can't slide in this? I loved doing it in Crysis 2, damn shame it's not possible here.

scitek

LuchaShaq said:

Fuck off with that pricing, probably won't even bother now because this puts me off so hard.

That's a one day sale on Steam. It's normally $30.

Warm Machine said:
Does it install after that though?

It does, but the file stays 3026mb after the install. Come to think of it, I don't remember any PSN download expanding after an install.

PS3 HAZ LESS POLYGHANZ AN REZZOLOOSHUNS CONFIRMEDDED?!?!!!

Persona7

Banned
LuchaShaq said:

I bought a game on black friday for 2.99 two years ago and amazon charges 19.99 for it now

fucking greedy corporate pigs

Top Bottom