• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis | PSN XBLA |OT| "It can run Crysis"

Dacon

Banned
How do the ice levels fair on console versus PC in terms of aesthetics and performance?

Thinking about medium to slightly high end systems here.

Sai

mickcenary said:
Is it really that bad? I've already made the purchase, but this is worrying.
It's not a game-breaking experience or anything, especially with how often you can sprint; your energy gauge replenishes pretty fast. But even when it's depleted, you can still sprint, it just won't be nearly as fast. In my opinion, that should've been Nomad's default running pace.

I really am having a great time with this game. I think I will purchase Crysis 2 once I wrap this up. I tried the multiplayer demo out a while ago, and I thought it was interesting, but there was just too much on my plate at the time.

Galdelico

Hunter-Zero said:
No, i´ts not.
Exactly.

I'm a console gamer and I come to Crysis just now, thanks to this port.
I played the game for a good couple of hours - 360 version - and so far I'm totally impressed... Sure It has its technical flaws (already mentioned... Silly music and texture pop-in far away in the distance are the only ones that minimally concern me), sure textures lose detail when you cover behind objects but the scene looks nothing less than beautiful.
Also - dunno if it's me, I will check it out better - seems to me noticeably sharper than 360 Crysis 2.

I'm digging the game, anyway: playing my first run on Delta, I find the imported nanosuit mechanics to work surprisingly well here... It feels more solid, more varied and responsive than C2, but I couldn't tell if it's a matter of different scenario/setting/gameplay solutions or because the original game was just deeper, compared to the sequel.

Also, amazing deal for 1680 MP... Can't wait to come back to that island.

strata8

ziadoz said:
Just finished the harbour area on the PS3 version and having a great time. In my nostalgia though, I forgot how sucky some of the weapons are in Crysis. What Crysis 2 lost in wide open environments it made up in meaty weapons (and the suit upgrade system). Aside from the sniper rifle none of the weapons feel like they pack a punch. I really loved the hammer and grendel in particular. I hope Crysis 3 is a hybrid of the two games strengths, I think my mind would explode.
The grenade launcher in Crysis 1 is almost laughable compared to the one in Crysis 2. The animations are just so much better in the sequel.

Duallusion

Aaaaand, finished. Last 3rd not nearly as enjoyable as the first two confirmed. Annoyingly designed aliens too. Should've been all jungle, with aliens that fit that design. Imagine going against Predators with a crysis suit!

Didn't get an achievement for "perform a kill with every firearm", hmm. Oh well; Crysis 2, here I come!

Sai

Just finished the game on Normal. I agree that the first two thirds of the game are better, but I didn't find the latter part of the game to be as bad as people made it out to be. Maybe because of that level they scrapped for the console port that everybody said was so terrible.

Going to play through it again on Delta, snag those last 8 Achievements, then I'll move on to Crysis 2.

Kimosabae

Banned
Is the vehicle handling poor for anyone else? I've been avoiding them like the plague. There's nothing intuitive about controlling them in that environment.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AgentOtaku said:
360 Version region blocked?

Getting ready to decide which version to buy tonight.

Consensus?
I vote 360. I can't imagine the controls feeling better on the DS3 than they do on the 360 pad.

Stallion Free said:
I vote 360. I can't imagine the controls feeling better on the DS3 than they do on the 360 pad.

I prefer the PS3 controller personally, but am willing to opt for better visuals/more consistent framerate like I did with Rage. Prefer hitting L2/R2 than the 360 bumpers also.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AgentOtaku said:
I prefer the PS3 controller personally, but am willing to opt for better visuals/more consistent framerate like I did with Rage. Prefer hitting L2/R2 than the 360 bumpers also.
Well I don't think either has a very consistent during fps gun fights so you might as well just go with the controller you prefer.

Stallion Free said:

Agreed. The PS3 controller is not ideal for fps games in my opinion, another reason I got it on 360. I do like it for mostly everything else but Xbox is definitely the "shooter box" for me.

CozMick

Banned
Just finished the story on Normal and instantly started again on Delta.

One of the best single player games I've played this generation on PS3, visually it continued to impress throughout the game but once it got to the final "boss" it looked above average, but nothing compared to the rest of the game.

70% through the Trophy list in one play through...

Great game, bring on Warhead Crytek!

CozMick said:
Just finished the story on Normal and instantly started again on Delta.

One of the best single player games I've played this generation on PS3, visually it continued to impress throughout the game but once it got to the final "boss" it looked above average, but nothing compared to the rest of the game.

70% through the Trophy list in one play through...

Great game, bring on Warhead Crytek!

Funny, because the tanker level was arguably the best looking in Crysis PC

feel

mickcenary said:
Is it really that bad? I've already made the purchase, but this is worrying.
It's bad. You literally cannot choose something in between walking slowly and sprinting at a very high speed. Makes exploration very awkward. Even the NPCs you follow have an inbetween speed while you don't so, you can imagine how stupid it looks when you're following them around having to sprint into them, letting them gain some ground on you, then sprinting into them again. It was a dealbreaker to me but it depends on the person.

I haven't bought it yet but would a possible solution be:

1. Click L3/LS, this "activates" speed mode and then you can cruise in speed mode like in Crysis on PC.

2. Then hold L3/LS to sprint. If you're already "clicked" into speed mode you do the mad fast sprint, and if not you just sprint as normal.

I played Crysis on PC and other than maybe a few firefights I always moved around in speed mode.

CozMick said:
If you click L3 and start speed sprinting, let your energy drain and you will continue to sprint but at a lower speed.

You could do that in PC version too, but when you activated speed mode in PC your normal run speed was the equivalent of sprinting in another suit mode.

Just wish there was a solution for all the people annoyed by the movement speed.

I DL'd it earlier this week(360) and played a bit last night.

I'm a bit disappointed with some of the engineering choices they made and how adversely they effect gameplay.

Namely, the enemy pop-in is simply atrocious with binoculars and weapon scopes. I look into my binoculars I can see enemies off in the distance, remove the binoc's remove the enemy, fair enough. But when I'm ADS and can move a foot forward or back and the enemies pop into and out of existence, I'd like to know who at Crytek thought this was a good allocation/solution of rendering resources?

Crysis does look really pretty though, its just kinda broken as a game.

Dacon

Banned
Is anyone else having problems buying this off of the market place?

I can't get it off the website or off my xbox, keep getting marketplace errors.

PowderedToast

oh man, i think this game has finally clicked with me. i just played through it once and thought it was sort of a competent shooter, now i've started at the beach again and suddenly it's becoming really fucking fun, and hilarious. i feel like i've only just gotten into the rhythm of it's mechanics.

Dacon

Banned
I'm enjoying this for the most part, but I really don't like a lot of the changes they made to make it more like Crysis 2, like the enemy AI and how it's almost telepathic when in close quarters. It also seems like they go right into alert phase instead of just caution when you take one of them out, and the minute they do they automatically know where you are despite you being in cloak right after the shot, but this isn't ALWAYS the case it has just happened too often to me.

The game rewards long distance combat a lot more than it did on the pc where for the most part it was pretty balanced imo.

What's up with the absolutely worthless jump height without strength mode? You barely come off the ground.

Performance wise the game seems a little too slow sometimes, even for a supposedly 30 fps game, which kinda is holding me back reaction time wise. So pulling off the over the top maneuvers isn't happening for me. I don't really think the game looks good enough to justify it either, but that's just me.
I'm not really digging the bleached sky lighting, and there's the obvious jaggies everywhere. The game doesn't look BAD but I did kinda expect it to be better what with all of the great impressions.. So far it's not really standing up to the Xbox and Ps3's best imo, which is a given I'll admit.

With all of that out of the way, the game is still pretty good and I'm having a lot of fun with it despite my misgivings. I'm gonna stick with it and see if I can get a better feel for it.

Sai

Dacon said:
Is anyone else having problems buying this off of the market place?

I can't get it off the website or off my xbox, keep getting marketplace errors.
I've been dealing with this all day while trying to purchase Crysis 2. Any word from Microsoft?

rapid32.5

Played it a bit on 360 and the game looked pretty shitty, don't know why the praise of CryEngine3 was all about.
I think FEAR is closest fps I can compare it to, same visuals if you look at everything up-close.

Dacon

Banned
Sai said:
I've been dealing with this all day while trying to purchase Crysis 2. Any word from Microsoft?

I got around it by adding money to my Paypal account and using it to purchase Microsoft Points.

I dunno wtf is going on with the marketplace.

Doomskull

Neo Member
Bought it on 360. Fun game (vehicles suck though) with great visuals.

The game 'clicked' for me during a heated fire fight, dude was unloading at me with a machine gun and while he was reloading I sprinted up to him and blew him away with my shotgun. Game makes you feel bad ass.

For the price, you really can't go wrong if you're a FPS fan.

rapid32.5 said:
Played it a bit on 360 and the game looked pretty shitty, don't know why the praise of CryEngine3 was all about.
I think FEAR is closest fps I can compare it to, same visuals if you look at everything up-close.

I loved the massive terrain based jungle levels in Fear.

rapid32.5 said:

Extreme hyperbole to call this "shitty". And really FEAR? This game is pushing massive environments in comparison, crazy amount of physics including all the interactive elements that can be moved and destroyed. It's just got a whole lot going on that is very impressive.

Red

BattleMonkey said:
Extreme hyperbole to call this "shitty". And really FEAR? This game is pushing massive environments in comparison, crazy amount of physics including all the interactive elements that can be moved and destroyed. It's just got a whole lot going on that is very impressive.
But like, up close. A rock in FEAR looks like a rock in Crysis when you're pressed right up on it. For example.

Platinumed it this morning. Delta is still the way to go, just like on PC. A good snack-game in between the big releases.

Also, still love the blast the precision rifle makes. My ears almost exploded because I was wearing my 5.1 headphones and the sound was maxed out. Still so satisfying.

ii Stryker said:
I DL'd it earlier this week(360) and played a bit last night.

I'm a bit disappointed with some of the engineering choices they made and how adversely they effect gameplay.

Namely, the enemy pop-in is simply atrocious with binoculars and weapon scopes. I look into my binoculars I can see enemies off in the distance, remove the binoc's remove the enemy, fair enough. But when I'm ADS and can move a foot forward or back and the enemies pop into and out of existence, I'd like to know who at Crytek thought this was a good allocation/solution of rendering resources?

Crysis does look really pretty though, its just kinda broken as a game.

Give Crytek a break, they had to fit Crysis on two systems that have 512 Mb of RAM altogether.

JonCha

Watched the GiantBomb Quick Look and seemed like a good port, and people in here seem to be enjoying it a lot. For £15, it's great value and is something that won't take hours to complete while I wait for November.

CozMick

Banned
Hi2u said:
Is this game hard and frustrating on delta?

100% fucking YES!

My god it's annoying sometimes, especially how you get killed by the last guy out of 50 you've already killed and have to start the entire area again :\

Sai

I haven't noticed that big of a difference playing on Delta. I mean, it's harder, but not as much as I expected. Only reason I've been taking longer on my Delta playthrough is because I've been messing around. I imagine it'll get a fair bit tougher on the later levels though, especially Onslaught.

Also, I haven't been forced to restart a level yet, but I've come pretty close. If you're going to take manual saves out of a game that's clearly been designed with them in mind, why not rework the checkpoint triggers? Actually, what technical issue was stopping them from putting them in there in the first place?

eshwaaz

Sai said:
Also, I haven't been forced to restart a level yet, but I've come pretty close. If you're going to take manual saves out of a game that's clearly been designed with them in mind, why not rework the checkpoint triggers? Actually, what technical issue was stopping them from putting them in there in the first place?
My biggest issue with the game. Removal of manual saves seems like a totally unnecessary change that's detrimental to the way the game was originally designed. The checkpoint placement is terrible because they were never intended to stand alone.

Just played the first level on 360.

Bravo Crytek, this is a damn fine port. It bodes well for Crysis 3, I reckon.

Does anyone know if people have created autoexec configs for the PC version that accurately mimic the console visuals?

Top Bottom