• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis | PSN XBLA |OT| "It can run Crysis"

StuBurns

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
I thought the first Crysis was a fair margin better than Warhead...more varied, a longer campaign, better graphics overall, better presentation. Psycho has more charisma though
It's basically the same length if you were to remove the crap from Crysis.

Red

StuBurns said:
Warhead is the best Crysis, I wonder if we'll see that comes to PSN/XBLA now.
Couldn't disagree more. Warhead was good, more consistent, didn't hit Crysis 1's lows, but also never reached its soaring heights. It was a much flatter, typical campaign.

But Psycho was great to play as.

If you're talking mass market appeal, Warhead is probably superior as it's more guided, and in that way easier to play. I think it's a good middle ground between 1 and 2 and wouldn't be disappointed w with another game like it.

thelastword

Banned
aeolist said:
Fair warning, do not expect Crysis 2 to be the same kind of game. It's waaaay more limited.
It could'nt be that bad could it? I've heard that Crysis 2 has meatier weapons, so I'm lookoing forward to that, although, the scar, shotgun and yes, my favorite weapon the precision rifle is all I needed for the most part.

Btw, I know the game is not as big, there's no jungle etc.., but it should bring me some enjoyment whilst going for the plat. Also, something I wanted to play with but never got around to was explosive ammo, was there any in the console versions of crysis? I didn't find any.

Red

Always-honest said:
Verdict: you're an insecure sad person. You actually need things like this to feel good about yourself?
You're attacking the character of a guy posting screenshots comparing two versions of a video game on a video game enthusiast forum?

aeolist

Banned
thelastword said:
It could'nt be that bad could it? I've heard that Crysis 2 has meatier weapons, so I'm lookoing forward to that, although, the scar, shotgun and yes, my favorite weapon the precision rifle is all I needed for the most part.

Btw, I know the game is not as big, there's no jungle etc.., but it should bring me some enjoyment whilst going for the plat. Also, something I wanted to play with but never got around to was explosive ammo, was there any in the console versions of crysis? I didn't find any.
Crysis 2 is basically Call of Duty in terms of scope. If you enjoyed the open areas of Crysis with vehicle shenanigans and attacking Korean bases from several directions you need to be aware that you will not get any of that in Crysis 2.

The guns are different, I don't know if I liked them any better though. I will say the aliens were better but that's just because they were basically humans anyway.

Red

aeolist said:
Crysis 2 is basically Call of Duty in terms of scope. If you enjoyed the open areas of Crysis with vehicle shenanigans and attacking Korean bases from several directions you need to be aware that you will not get any of that in Crysis 2.

The guns are different, I don't know if I liked them any better though. I will say the aliens were better but that's just because they were basically humans anyway.
Don't forget "tactical options available."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Always-honest said:
Verdict: you're an insecure sad person. You actually need things like this to feel good about yourself?
First of all, quoting that many pictures is dumb.

And second, everyone having such an incredibly negative reaction to something that isn't exactly out of the realm of discussion here is kinda equally telling.

StuBurns

Banned
bkfount said:
it looks like the textures haven't popped in yet. Happens with a bunch of games.
If that's the case, it's not really a fair comparison. Not that I really care. Crysis was an amazing game, I'm very glad more people will get to enjoy it, even if it's not quite the visual stunner it once was.

Maybe Crysis 3 can go back to being great because of this.

Metal-Geo

StuBurns said:
It's basically the same length if you were to remove the crap from Crysis.
Unless you remove the boring stuff from Warhead as well. Then it's four times Warhead's length. :p

I wouldn't object to them porting it over though. Perhaps Wars while they're at it as well.

thelastword

Banned
aeolist said:

Fair enough, since you mentioned vehicles, it's another plus to the console versions, controlling vehicles in the console port is much better than on pc, I much preferred it here.

Well, from what you've described it seems that part 2 is a more linear game, also, I guess a blasted and shot out NYC does not lend to too much vehicle play, but I'll play it to explore it's merits nonetheless.

This brings me to Warhead, I guess Warhead should be even easier for Crytek to bring to consoles, as it's a more optimized extension of the original crysis, (as it relates to the engine of course), So i expect there's more performance to be had there. Perhaps Crytek can increase the console resolution somewhat for that game. I do hope warhead is coming, that's why you guys should buy crysis so we could get it.

Warhead wouldn't be easier to port to consoles than PC. Sure they clamped down on the configs on PC, but that has no bearing on how it will perform on the console version. If they ever did port Warhead expect nearly the same visual fidelity you have in Crysis on consoles.

Bluforce

Never played it, so I bought it today on PlayStation 3.

It's very different from Crysis 2, much closer to the first Far Cry.

Metal-Geo

Warhead was on a slightly optimised CryEngine 2. Crysis Remastered runs on the CryEngine 3. The optimisations of Warhead don't 'magically' port over to the CryEngine 3. :p

Pretty much what Angelus just said. ^^^

Y2Kev said:
First of all, quoting that many pictures is dumb.

And second, everyone having such an incredibly negative reaction to something that isn't exactly out of the realm of discussion here is kinda equally telling.
Agreed to the first part. Couldn't see that on the phone. As for the second part, i disagree.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Always-honest said:
Agreed to the first part. Couldn't see that on the phone. As for the second part, i disagree.
I mean I think this is an amazing port. That it runs at all is cool. But it doesn't run all that well in my opinion!

Pranay_ said:
crysisconsolescreenshotw.jpg

every thing looks good for the first ~15 feet around the player. beyond that everything is a blurry, foggy mess :/

this is from the N64 port right?

Vulcano's assistant said:
15 feet = 200 meters now ?

crysisconsolescreenshotw.jpg

google tells me 200 meters is 656 feet (!)

can you see anything with any kind of definition at that distance?

beyond that alien and everything falls off a cliff. who cares if the draw distance is technically 200m if everything looks like complete SHIT unless it's right up next to you.

I'll say it again. this port is a blurry, foggy mess. the N64 comparison is a bit hyperbolic, but only by a very little bit.

highrider

Banned
MrBelmontvedere said:
google tells me 200 meters is 656 feet (!)

can you see anything with any kind of definition at that distance?

beyond that alien and everything falls off a cliff. who cares if the draw distance is technically 200m if everything looks like complete SHIT unless it's right up next to you.

I'll say it again. this port is a blurry, foggy mess. the N64 comparison is a bit hyperbolic, but only by a very little bit.

i haven't seen that on the ps3 version. pop in here and there. some low res textures up close. i'm actually really impressed with how it looks and plays. for a console only guy like me i'm none the wiser. i'm sure it blows compared to a great pc with mods, but that's kind of a given.

MaddenNFL64

Y2Kev said:
And bad. It's way more bad.

Crysis 2 is better than most games in my opinion. It's not perfect, but it's good. I had a ball with it. I always chose to play on the hardest difficulty & take out all opposition in an efficient & quiet manner. Had a really great time playing like this. Got multiple playthroughs out of it.

Frencherman said:
Comparison pics

Verdict: Good thing that it came out on PC first :)

Some downgraded textures and the removal of some random fluff isn't that bad considering how underpowered the consoles are compared to the powerhouse PC that's needed to run it properly.

Thanks for the comparison pics, it's good to see that they didn't make any major changes beyond some textures and misc items in certain locations.

Sai

MrBelmontvedere said:
beyond that alien and everything falls off a cliff.
Have you played the game? Or seen any media of some of it's earlier levels? I think there's a good story-related reason for that, not just technical issues.

What does that scene look like on the PC?

StuBurns

Banned
Sai said:
Have you played the game? Or seen any media of some of it's earlier levels? I think there's a good story-related reason for that, not just technical issues.

What is it? Have they set the console versions in Silent Hill island or something?

Metal-Geo

I believe that level is foggy due to the condense of the ice sphere, which is only half a mile away from the player's location in the image. They certainly decreased the fog distance on the console. But whatever.

Sai said:

LOL!

story related reason? yeah the story goes like this: "we had to absolutely rape the PC version to get it to run, and it's still just a pale shadow of the original"

the whole extreme blueish fog thing isn't there on the PC version at all (unless someone took a shot of Silent Hill by mistake, can't really tell). on the PC all that blue crap is the same as the extreme (20 feet? I'd say that's roughly accurate) close portion of the screen shot. everything is detailed, and your character doesn't suffer from extreme debilitating myopia.

Can we just create a crysis console Vs pc thread already?

People might actually want to talk about the game in this thread and not hear a bunch of people trying to justify there $400 graphics cards.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pro tip for new players: get in the water, try to swim as deep as you can and something really cool will happen

funkystudent said:
Can we just create a crysis console Vs pc thread already?

People might actually want to talk about the game in this thread and not hear a bunch of people trying to justify there $400 graphics cards.

Mine only cost $150

Synless

Has there been a proper ps3 vs 360 comparison yet? I know ps3 runs at a lower res, but which one has a better framerate, textures, ect...?

Synless said:
Has there been a proper ps3 vs 360 comparison yet? I know ps3 runs at a lower res, but which one has a better framerate, textures, ect...?

I think LoT did one not sure, I'd assume it's the same as Crysis 2 in regards to their performance to one another.

StuBurns said:
The shark I believe
Doesn't that occur when you swim as far out as you can? Maybe that's what he meant. :lol I had that one glitch out on me and appear on land, let's see if I still have the screens or video.

EDIT: Okay, I don't think I still have it. Did run across this panorama I made back in 2008:

CYxQW.jpg

Top Bottom