• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cube World |OT| Who ever said the world was a sphere?

zJW2R05.png

vER0wpx.png

Genre: Adventure RPG
Developer: Picroma?/Wollay
Release Date: Cube World is available now in Alpha phase as of 2nd July 2013!
Price: For the Alpha a discounted price of $20/€15. Future updates are free as per Wollay!
Supported Platforms: PC (Mac and consoles planned at a later date) (Console version might be PS4 only, thanks to salromano for the info!)
Where to buy/Store: Register at https://picroma.com and then buy it at https://picroma.com/buycubeworld/
LAN Mode: Yes! :)
XBOX 360 Controller for Windows support: Yes! (Reported issues at character creation, plug it in afterwards! CURRENTLY NOT WORKING!!!)
Official Site: https://picroma.com/

0biQYKO.png

Minimum System Requirements:
Windows XP SP2
Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3 OR AMD Athlon 64 X2
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI X1800, Intel HD 3000 (256 MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0)
2 GB RAM
Internet Connection (for updates and online multiplayer)

Here is also a link to the official tech-demo, if you can run this you can run the game.

3PZyaHA.png

About Cube World
I'm Wollay, the creator of Cube World. I started this game in June 2011 as a hobby project. My inspirations were Minecraft, Zelda, Secret of Mana, Monster Hunter, Diablo, World of Warcraft and many more.
My aim was to create an infinite, colorful, procedurally generated world, full of adventures, monsters, and mysteries. The result is Cube World, a voxel-based role-playing game.

The alpha will be available for a lower price than the beta version and the final version. We're planning to release updates regularly. Updates are free.

Even more about Cube World

The full feature-list would probably go far beyond the scope of a OT so I will just summarize the key points and for the full feature details including planned features please head to the official Cube World website here.

Endless, Randomly Generated Worlds

The world of Cube World is procedurally and randomly generated which means that the world is theoretically infinite as players can't reach any borders and every visible landmass is also reachable. However even with this random nature the player still has a degree of influence as you can specify a level seed number which will always generate the same world so it's possible to share worlds with friends or simply recreate them anew. The Alpha also features different themed landscapes such as:

• Grasslands
  • Snowlands
  • Deserts
  • Jungles
  • Lava Lands
  • Oceans
Adventuring

Players can move in various ways through Cube World, be it by climbing, swimming, sailing or even hang-gliding down from mountains! The world is also full of dungeons of different theme-sets and every ingame-day in Cube World new missions and quests will spawn that reward the player with new items and currency to upgrade equiptment.

Classes & Infinite Character Progression

Being an RPG there will also be different classes you can start your character with different classes:

• Warrior gameplay is focused on charged attacks: they can build up MP with normal attacks and charge up powerful special attacks.
  • Rangers use ranged charged attacks, which work similar like warrior attacks, but using ranged weapons.
  • Mages cast spells with varying cast times. Normal attacks are usually faster, while special attacks have longer cast times and consume MP.
  • Rogue gameplay is fast-paced and special attacks are instant. That way they can concentrate on evasion and move freely during combat.

Each class can also further develop into one of two specializations:

• Warrior specializations:

Berserker: Attack speed is increased with each hit. Can charge attacks more quickly.
    Guardian: Can block attacks with all weapons and has increased health. Can become immune against stun attacks.

• Ranger specializations:

Sniper: Has camouflage and aim abilities. Attack speed is increased with each hit.
    Scout: Special attacks have a chance to become instantly chargeable. Can sprint.

• Mage specializations:

Fire: Special attacks have a chance to become instantly chargeable. Can cast fire explosions.
    Water: Attack speed is increased with each hit. Has healing spells.

[*]Rogue specializations:

Assassin: Special attacks increase stealth. Has improved stealth abilities.
    Ninja: Dodges during special attacks. Can throw shurikens.

There also isn't a level-cap in Cube World which means there is also a infinite amount of progress a player can make which also affects skill-trees and strength of monster. However despite the infinite level power is not as the corresponding power is scaled from 1-100 so the more the player progresses the flatter the power increase is.

Action-Based Combat

Combat in Cube World works much like in Skyrim, Minecraft and TERA Online, every attack, even melee based attacks, need to be manually aimed and all attacks can also be dodged. There is also a combo-system to chain attacks and overcome armor-based resistance.

Races

The following races are playable: Elves, Humans, Goblins, Lizardmen, Dwarves, Orcs, Frogmen, Undeads. There are separate models for male and female characters. They also have different voices and there are no class-race restrictions.
Characters are customizable during character creation by choosing a combination of face, hair and hair color. Lizardmen have scales instead of hair and Frogmen have different eyes.

Pets

Most animals and some monsters in Cube World can be tamed. In order to tame a pet, you need to feed it with it's favorite food. The challenge is to find out which food a pet likes and to obtain the food.

Monsters

Cube World is full of monsters: there are slimes, zombies, ogres, skeletons, vampires, werewolves, and many more. Boss monsters are also featured and usually guard rare items.

Items, Crafting & Customization

Items can be obtained from enemies, treasure chests, missions, vendors. Apart from that, items are also craftable. The crafting categories are:

• Weapon crafting: Each class can craft weapons available to that class. For instance, warriors can craft axes, swords, maces, and shields.
  • Armor crafting: Each class can craft armor available to that class. For instance, warriors can craft iron gloves, iron boots, and more.
  • Jewel crafting: All classes can craft rings and amulets. Rings and amulets have secondary stats useful for all classes.
  • Cooking: Players can craft food for cheap out-of-combat healing and buffs.
  • Alchemy: Players can craft healing potions and other useful potions.
Weapons can be upgraded and customized on a per-voxel basis. For instance, iron swords can be upgraded with iron cubes which can be freely placed on the weapon. This increases damage and changes the look of weapons.

Multiplayer

Cube World features 2-4 player coop over dedicated servers and LAN Multiplayer. PvP and MMO-like servers might be added in the future.

TkZnaPC.png

Videos (Click on the images to view the videos):

Explorers Trailer:

Multiplayer Trailer:

Z10L8UJ.png

vxG9kC6.png

F.A.Q. by eorl, thanks!

I figured it would probably be best to make a short FAQ for those struggling with some of the concepts that Cube World offers in its vast world. Let me know if I miss anything or needs updating.

What are the controls?

Pressing F1 in-game will open up the control layout, which is pretty straightforward. Currently you can not remap keys, and the Xbox controller does work, however you have to start a game first and the plug the controller in for it to be recognised.

What do you do? I'm lost!

The world of Cube World is procedurally and randomly generated, so on the basic level it just never ends. A map is available that will display what you have discovered, but it will also highlight several handy icons.

When first jumping into a new world, it is always best to find the closest city. This is marked on your map with a small village sign. At the city, you'll find a number of vendors including a potion vendor for making health potions, your class trainer for assigning skill points and quests. These quests will be marked on NPCs with little green dialogue marks above their head. Quests in Cube World are random and never "end", in that their will always be quests in your world similar to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

My game lags!

Cube World isn't the most intensive title available on PC, but it will need some good tech inside your PC or laptop. You can find the recommended specs on the first post of this OT, which should give you an idea on what you'll need. Do note that this is an alpha client, so it will be varying in optimisation.

Where can I find pets? How do I tame them?

Almost all of the animals in Cube World are tameable. The trick is to finding their favourite food in order to win them over and help you out. Once you've found some pet food, simply navigate to the pet tab in your bag (press B and find the little cat icon tab) and right-click the food. You'll place it in your hands and if the food is right, begin taming the animal.

Hostile creatures will not attack you if you are taming them, and if you would like to rename your animal you can type /namepet yourpetnamehere. You can rename your pet as many times as you like, however at this moment a name can only be one word long. To mount an animal you will need the appropriate skill point to do so.

What is crafting?

Crafting in Cube World requires many ingredients, just like your usual RPG. You will need to find the base ingredients, or if you are lucky a vendor will sell more high-tier ingredients. If you find an ingredient in the wilderness, simply attack the item to "destroy" it and you'll be able to pick it up.

Pressing C will bring up your crafting dialogue where you'll be able to browse a number of weapons, armour, food and miscellaneous items. Some recipes required a crafting table or spinning wheel, these are found in the crafting district of a city.

How do I join a multiplayer/host one?

Making or joining a multiplayer is actually fairly easy. Simply open up your install directory (where Cube World was installed) and you will find a Server.exe file. Run this (you may have to run as administrator for some) and a new world will be created. The ports to forward for people on online networks to connect is 12345. If you do not know how to portforward, a fairly easy guide over here can help.

When running a multiplayer server, you can not choose a world sadly. It seems to be randomly generated at this moment, however I presume further progress will be made. The current playable limit on players is four, however you can connect more than four though their health bars will not be shown. All your character stats will be brought over including all items and pets.

What are these swords on the map?

Glad you asked! These are world bosses, and can either be very, very difficult or fairly easy depending on your level. When you enter the region you'll gain a notification saying that the world boss needs to be killed, which you can find at the swords. They will also be marked individually on your map and can be spotted easily by their size. Killing them will reward you a large amount of XP and some very rare items.

What NPC coloured names do what?

I don't actually know the full list on this one, so if anyone else could answer that would be much appreciated. I do know that the colour Red is very difficult and most likely very high level.

Some tips:

Particularly useful for warriors and rogues - You can equip a two handed weapon and a one handed weapon to improve your damage output. Simply equip your 2 hander normally, then middle mouse button click on a 1 hander.

+4 dungeons/areas are bugged at the moment, or atleast appear to be. If you find one in the wild, go back to town and reset the quests until one appears there. Then go and farm it. This only seems to happen with +4 areas; they lose the +4 tag (which makes monsters significantly beefier and do more damage, and bosses become nearly impossible to kill), but retain their loot profiles(will also scale to your level if your above the base level of the area). Which means lots of shinies, and you should be able to solo the boss.

For instance, in 26879 there is a castle with +4 orcs around level 25 (Power level between 48 and 55). It's just west(i think?) of the starting town. As long as you're near or above the power level, you'll be able to get a quest there and go and easily solo it while acquiring powerful equipment. It seems to scale with your level pretty much every time, as I leveled my warrior there from 50 to 101 in a little over an hour, every time I killed the boss and leveled up and came back, the loot would be a little higher power level(close or at whatever my max was at the time).

Just a few hints, oh and don't neglect your sailing. With 15-20 points it is by far the fastest method of transportation (atleast in an ocean biome). Almost as fast as the ranger glider exploit.

Oh, and the rangers crossbow m2 special can be spammed with no charging for good damage (roughly 125% of your normal white damage), and it affects a large area. It will attack as fast as you can click (makes me wish i had a hardware macro).

ibvneBNERdF0TJ.png

9ny8qo4.png

Video-Tutorials by Arekkz

I just finished putting together and uploading a few tutorials, figured they might be helpful to those of you just starting out :)

Install guide (where to go because it's hidden on the site!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mhKUGeC56g

Getting Started (what to do, where to go, etc.):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7DMovPm9_o

How to change class (because it isn't blindingly obvious!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxJWcWVhknw

Crafting Guide:
http://youtu.be/DZ94PaPCzeU

How to Skip Night Time:
http://youtu.be/-VTe5PBRzGs

Multiplayer setup guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnvqE4XTeGg&feature=share&list=PLHc2Wj95htvM4G6B3Ug-09iBPY0ATqetS

Taming Pets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdCqMyKkBzg&feature=share&list=PLHc2Wj95htvM4G6B3Ug-09iBPY0ATqetS

Weapon Customization:
http://youtu.be/M89TZzZURDA

Character Attributes (power explained):
http://youtu.be/QORc2tNaq_8

Pets Overview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54eRwLepC2k&feature=youtu.be

Special Items (Boats and Hang Gliders):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXJMIT4B9k&feature=youtu.be

Using Bombs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hw3S5JoAUE&feature=youtu.be

Landscapes and Biomes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahw-8nHS-z8

Platinum Coins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3laVsQByyXE

Rogue Hang Gliding Exploit/Tip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIzafjgmVjs

0Jg3B1F.png

Random related things

X-post. Here are a few custom Steam icons for Grid View [link, scroll down].

Sample:

AZicpEO.png

And thanks to Mognet for helping with the OT! :D

Owensboro

I've been watching streams of this since this morning and it's looking like it will be a lot of fun to co-op through with a buddy. I hope the store gets back up in time for the weekend!

These guys have been pretty entertaining to watch -- http://www.twitch.tv/strippin

Amneisac

Is this going to be on Steam?

If I were the developer, I wouldn't put it on Steam. It's got tons of exposure already and I think it'll blow up like crazy when it's released. I'd straight up Notch that shit and laugh all the way to the bank.

We'll see though. I do love me some Steam.

Stitch

Gold Member
If I were the developer, I wouldn't put it on Steam. It's got tons of exposure already and I think it'll blow up like crazy when it's released. I'd straight up Notch that shit and laugh all the way to the bank.

We'll see though. I do love me some Steam.

Well on Steam we could actually buy it.

ys45

Once the shop is back and more people get the game can we post info here for multiplayer server ?

I would love to join some fellow Gaffers on a grand cubic adventure !

Once the shop is back and more people get the game can we post info here for multiplayer server ?

I would love to join some fellow Gaffers on a grand cubic adventure !

Sure just PM me the info and I will add it to the OT :) I also added the info about the hypothetical PS4 version.

Mognet

i suggest people watch the "explorers" video in the OT if you haven't already, really shows how large the world is, different methods of traveling, combat with a variety of classes and a couple of different biomes.

Twinduct

Man the Subreddit was a terrible place when the store went life and died afterwards.
So many people playing the 'too late' attitude since they have to wait for Wollay to fix his system.

And the tweets sent to him ... I would have just shut it all down.

Looking forward to this!
When the store eventually comes back!

Man the Subreddit was a terrible place when the store went life and died afterwards.
So many people playing the 'too late' attitude since they have to wait for Wollay to fix his system.

And the tweets sent to him ... I would have just shut it all down.

Looking forward to this!
When the store eventually comes back!

Holy... seriously? o.o I will never understand this attitude I mean people waited 2 years for it but they can't wait 1-2 more days? :/

Please, store, go back up soon.

Was there a four pack option? I heard there was.

I haven't had the chance to check the store out but if there is I will update the OT with the info!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wait, is there any other place that specifies it will be Sony only? Because I think that's more of a distinction between the PS3 and PS4, not PS4 and everything else.

I bring this up because they mention it'd be great for it to be on the Wii U too.

Yeah I doubt they've planned it out that far. If anything it'll probably take the platform holders approaching them first for any real movement to happen on that front, right now it seems like their hands are full making sure the PC version is done right.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Never heard of this before but it looks better than I expected. Only thing I'm not sure I like is the way power scales with level. Seems like after a while it'll turn into a massive grind, but if the game can provide enough hours of fun with its diversity and infinite worlds that may not be a big deal.

Twinduct

Holy... seriously? o.o I will never understand this attitude I mean people waited 2 years for it but they can't wait 1-2 more days? :/

I haven't had the chance to check the store out but if there is I will update the OT with the info!

Yeah it's really weird. Then again it was the community that was vocal about their disdain about wollay giving well known streamer/ youtubers Pre-alpha access. Lines like "He's basically saying we're not as important" as the streamers were used quite a bit.

Hell some guy made a whole thread on one of the fan forums about how he and his
daughter was looking forward to the game but now she died and never got to play, so wollay should really rethink his situation. He then basically started to pang on people to gift the game to him when it comes out.

People be dumb yo.

Log4Girlz

I'm so envious of guys like him and Notch. Putting in hard work towards a personal love...knowing...just knowing it will be a success. Notch had no idea how big Minecraft could be, while this dude probably has an inkling on how big this could be. If he delivers a polished product, that's it, guaranteed millionaire.

rybrad

Yeah it's really weird. Then again it was the community that was vocal about their disdain about wollay giving well known streamer/ youtubers Pre-alpha access. Lines like "He's basically saying we're not as important" as the streamers were used quite a bit.

daughter was looking forward to the game but now she died and never got to play, so wollay should really rethink his situation. He then basically started to pang on people to gift the game to him when it comes out.

People be dumb yo.
People are crazy. The expansion for Sword of the Stars The Pit was supposed to come out Monday and was late for a variety of snafus. People on the Steam forums were losing their minds over a one day delay. All of the people who freak out over stuff like this should really get some professional help or, you know, learn just a modicum of patience.

On topic, I have been looking forward to this game since he first started posting screens in what seems like years ago now. Can't wait for the store to be working again to give it a go.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I remember following the dev's blog a long time ago. He's added a lot of stuff to the game since then.

Looks fun!

Oh you got to be kidding me, I missed the store opening? I could be playing this right now?

aJhfjkhlsdafjhawuinfaiunfwefgaergg

Dragoshi1

I'm so tempted to buy it, my PC ran the tech demo perfectly.

But it's hard buying things when the store is down.

bengraven

LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY.

I have a FOUR DAY WEEKEND. Are you fucking kidding me it's still down?!

Oh you got to be kidding me, I missed the store opening? I could be playing this right now? aJhfjkhlsdafjhawuinfaiunfwefgaergg

It was open for 3 minutes and then crashed from the overload.

Seriously.

tsumineko

Man, I can't wait to finally play this, it looks perfect! Will be even better when minecraft style servers are made.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Don't understand the minecraft comparison exactly. It just because of the graphics?

Can you build and mine in this?

All these people yelling "TAKE MY MONEY" and they are just like "NOPE!" They really need to get this fixed before a significant portion of those people just say fuck it and don't buy it.

$20 isn't really impulse buy but luckily I've followed a good portion of the game so I'll probably pick it up soon if possible. If the store is down much longer I'll probably be onto something else and won't be able to put as much time into as I'd hope to at first.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I hope he hired someone to help deal with customer relations, he should be focused on the game itself, not getting someones download fixed.

ZenVolta

I hope he hired someone to help deal with customer relations, he should be focused on the game itself, not getting someones download fixed.

Honestly Im gald hes replying to anyone other than bigwigs.

Im not going to miss the download again. SLEEP BE DAMNED! Im off tomorrow so if it comes up tonight ill be ready for it!

People be dumb yo.

Ugh okay I'm not even sure what to say here that's simply... sad... I mean it's a video-game so how can people be this "life-affected" by it? :/

Top Bottom