• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 |OT| Dark Dreams Don't Die

atomsk

Party Pooper
if Microsoft can give Mojang billions, they can afford to throw Swery and his team another couple million to keep making these.

Ended at 6.5ish hours, and I missed some side-cases.

In my top 5 for this year easy.

Marjar

Banned
Oh man I'm fucking loving this.

Also nice to see references to Spy Fiction.

Oh my god, the airplane scene is the greatest fucking thing ever.

I like this game's vibe. Just chilling at David's apartment and looking at stuff is both entertaining and relaxing. A great contrast to the Titanfall I've been playing.

On a depressing note, the leaderboard for the Prologue shows only 3,800 total players. That is abysmal if accurate. They need to get the word out about this game. It's unique, it's cheap, and it's actually good. I'm not looking for TV commercials, but put it on the front of the dashboard or something. Anything!

Alfredo

Well, I finally finished Episode 2. I wasn't expecting that, uh, ending at all.
Seriously? A giant anime mutant man? I mean, I guess considering the way Deadly Premonition ended, I shouldn't be surprised, but...

I really hope we get more episodes, as I really don't want that to be the actual end of D4.

It is a strange ending, but kind of in line with all the things that have been said about Real Blood.

By the way, I'll never get those clover mini-game achievements. I've been busting my balls to reach 800 points (724 is the closest I've gotten so far), but then I realized that there's another one for 1200? Forget it.

Cheddahz

Banned
The first episode of D4 was insane, this game is probably going to end up being my game of the year (unless Bayonetta 2 is perfect). I'll play Episode 2 tomorrow night and finish off the season (sadly)

That's it. Pretty sure there's an interview where Swery says that the only way to get more is to buy the game. And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there are no more episodes currently in development. So yeah, seems this is it for now.

So it's really up to gamers to show their support if they want more.
I thought I heard 5 episodes somewhere, but I think that was before the delay. Maybe MS decided to halt development until the first episodes have proven themselves, guess they lack confidence. Oh well.

I thought I heard 5 episodes somewhere, but I think that was before the delay. Maybe MS decided to halt development until the first episodes have proven themselves, guess they lack confidence. Oh well.

I don't think it was originally going to release as a whole season, was it? It was supposed to launch in February, but was delayed. Iron Galaxy's logo appears along with Microsoft Studios and Access Games when you start up the game, and they have a long history of helping with the technical side of games. My guess is that Access ran into technical issues early on, and after Iron Galaxy helped out they decided to just release it as a whole season.

Yaqoub

So wait, is this you?!?!? (I retweeted it and all that)

9Ls7XkO.png

Nope, that's someone else, but he did reply to mine as well earlier :)

Glad they're releasing this soundtrack, wish we were told when lol

cool_dude

Banned
Finished it with kinect, great game!

Kinect tips: works better with it more level with your head. Also, really bend your outstretched hand (like Iron Man) so it can recognize the fist gesture more easily. Got real natural for me and really fun with the motion controls.

Yaqoub

Finished it with kinect, great game!

Kinect tips: works better with it more level with your head. Also, really bend your outstretched hand (like Iron Man) so it can recognize the fist gesture more easily. Got real natural for me and really fun with the motion controls.

I tried Kinect controls but couldn't get them to work comfortably :(

I played through it with a controller, and I'm glad they added the option.

I'm not so sure. There was very little about what the long term plan was before it was delayed back in February.

All we did know was that it was an episodic release, but it seems that for whatever reason, MS/Swery/Access decided to release the whole season instead. A very good decision in hindsight, but it's very disappointing that further seasons are linked to how well the first season performs.

Linkified

I'm not so sure. There was very little about what the long term plan was before it was delayed back in February.

All we did know was that it was an episodic release, but it seems that for whatever reason, MS/Swery/Access decided to release the whole season instead. A very good decision in hindsight, but it's very disappointing that further seasons are linked to how well the first season performs.

They haven't released the whole of season 1 though. They have released part of season 1: the prologue, #1 and #2. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing weekly downloadable skins. Every couple of months I would imagine we get another 3 episodes, whether that concludes just the plane saga or finishes and starts a fresh case.

They haven't released the whole of season 1 though. They have released part of season 1: the prologue, #1 and #2. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing weekly downloadable skins. Every couple of months I would imagine we get another 3 episodes, whether that concludes just the plane saga or finishes and starts a fresh case.

I'm pretty sure Swery has already said they aren't working on new episodes and future episodes/seasons are entirely dependant on how well this first season sells.

Link with the revelant quotes,

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/d...has_no_idea_how_many_therell_be_in_total.html

I'm pretty sure Swery has already said they aren't working on new episodes and future episodes/seasons are entirely dependant on how well this first season sells.

Link with the revelant quotes,

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/d...has_no_idea_how_many_therell_be_in_total.html

Are you basing what you just said on that article? Because it never tells us anything about the minimum number of episodes that are planned or in development, just that the total amount has not been decided yet.

Linkified

Again this is part of the first season not THE full season. Otherwise why are they supporting it with weekly downloadable skins...

Are you basing what you just said on that article? Because it never tells us anything about the minimum number of episodes that are planned or in development, just that the total amount has not been decided yet.

Total episodes as in per season. This is season 1. There won't be any more episodes for this particular season.

If there are any more episodes, they will form a second season and that's wholly dependant on how this sells and if MS feels it's worth funding more seasons.

Again this is part of the first season not THE full season. Otherwise why are they supporting it with weekly downloadable skins...

It's not part of the first season. It's the entirety of season 1. If there are more episodes, they will be part of a second season. It's a little misleading to claim we only have part of the first season when Swery has said this is the first season, not part of the first. The first season.

Linkified

Total episodes as in per season. This is season 1. There won't be any more episodes for this particular season.

If there are any more episodes, they will form a second season and that's wholly dependant on how this sells and if MS feels it's worth funding more seasons.

It's not part of the first season. It's the entirety of season 1. If there are more episodes, they will be part of a second season. It's a little misleading to claim we only have part of the first season when Swery has said this is the first season, not part of the first. The first season.

He states that on twitter with only 140 characters? Also whilst Swery has a good grasp of the English - sometimes things get lost in their meaning or in this case Twitter.

If we accept your hypothesis that these three episodes make up the entire season it is a pretty shitty way to leave the end of the first season.

I assume they won't do anything too crazy that would cover characters' faces like Master Chief armor and instead stick to something like Alan Wake.

I do hope they go really dumb with it, naturally. Banjo Young or something.

Yeah, I have faith that Swery will put out some really crazy outfits.

He states that on twitter with only 140 characters? Also whilst Swery has a good grasp of the English - sometimes things get lost in their meaning or in this case Twitter.

If we accept your hypothesis that these three episodes make up the entire season it is a pretty shitty way to leave the end of the first season.

I think it's fair to say this is the entirety of the first season. With everything Swery has said and with even the receipt for the purchase saying it's D4 S1.

I haven't reached the end yet, but it wouldn't surprise if it's a cliffhanger of sorts, it's probably that way to ensure that future seasons won't feel tacked on should they be greenlit by MS.

Linkified

Yeah, I have faith that Swery will put out some really crazy outfits.

I think it's fair to say this is the entirety of the first season. With everything Swery has said and with even the receipt for the purchase saying it's D4 S1.

I haven't reached the end yet, but it wouldn't surprise if it's a cliffhanger of sorts, it's probably that way to ensure that future seasons won't feel tacked on should they be greenlit by MS.

The receipt says "D4 S1". So? I would assume all other future episodes would end up as DLC for this game like how the first episode of Telltales Games are used as a container for the season. When Swery gets to the point of feeling like the first season is content rich after 4-5 cases, we will see the inevitable retail release.

The receipt says "D4 S1". So? I would assume all other future episodes would end up as DLC for this game like how the first episode of Telltales Games are used as a container for the season. When Swery gets to the point of feeling like the first season is content rich after 4-5 cases, we will see the inevitable retail release.

I think it's much more likely future episodes will be under a second season banner and any potential retail release will feature two to three seasons, not just five episodes like the standard TT model.

There's really more evidence than not that this is the entire first season, not just the opening three episodes of a season.

Cuphead

Banned
Downloaded this last night, can't wait to go home and try it out.

Sold my kinect a month or two ago so I'll be in controller mode.

LTWheels

I think this could make a good Games on Gold free game. Go way to spread the word and gets people hooked for future episodes, like how Telltale often release the first episode for free.

I do hope there is more episodes. Maybe something to tweet phil spencer about to get an idea of how they are going to treat future episodes.

Cheddahz

Banned
I just completed the first season of D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die and yeah, this might end up being my game of the year. It has everything that was perfect about Deadly Premonition (the weird characters, the culture references, and the humor) with a plot that is engaging and combines it with a way to play the game that makes it easy for anyone to pick up (it more or less plays like a Telltale game). I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game and if you're an owner of an Xbox One, I highly recommend the game (and please do get the game if you can, so there's a chance for more seasons!)

blakep267

I think this could make a good Games on Gold free game. Go way to spread the word and gets people hooked for future episodes, like how Telltale often release the first episode for free.

I do hope there is more episodes. Maybe something to tweet phil spencer about to get an idea of how they are going to treat future episodes.

nah, the game has to actually sell for them to have a reason to make more episodes. Maybe they'd release the prologue episode for free and have the rest like at $10, but they need to recoup some money

hwy_61

Banned
Downloaded this last night, can't wait to go home and try it out.

Sold my kinect a month or two ago so I'll be in controller mode.

It actually works really well. The only negative thing is the leaning mechanic. I keep forgetting that's a thing! I guess that's more my problem than the game's.

T.O.P

Banned
Downloading right now

Being DP one of the best game of the last gen my expectations are extremely high for this :D

Yuterald

This game's proper introduction sequence (the one with the introduction of the cast and the title card display) that plays during the prologue is like my favorite fucking thing of all time. The way the prior scene transitions to the "theme song", I guess you could say, with the music and everything, it's just so ridiculously perfect. I've replayed the Prologue 3 times already and I never tire of watching it.

Alfredo

Just how much (pointless?) detail is in this game?

At some point, I'm gonna purposefully fail every QTE.

In Episode 2, I failed the one in which
David jumps out of the window to catch the baseball
to see what happened. That was my one and only Game Over so far, lol.

guys, do you happen to know what's the ending song for chapter one? I mean, that "dropkick murphys" style irish-punk song

edit.- though now that I think about it, it will probable be "composed" espacially for the soundtrack because the choruse says "where's D gone?"

Top Bottom