• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 |OT| Dark Dreams Don't Die

Cheddahz

Banned
9Ls7XkO.png

Have you been exiting the dive to get a free meal from Kaysen? That's what I did for most of Episode 1. I exhausted most of my stamina on the plane, then once it was as low as like 5, I went back to the apartment and had Kaysen cook for me, filling my stamina back up to max for free. I was able to do this twice to get two different meals from Kaysen. I think he might even give you more, but it'll be the same meals.
No I didn't. Cheers I'll do that next time. Kaysen is the fat cop right?

Can someone help me with the
"Difference between Looking and Observing"
bit? I've tried
looking left and right
a bunch of times but no cigar. What am I doing wrong?

Crazy game but I think that is it's charm. I was sitting there at times thinking "ok, what the fuck is going on" but I couldn't put the controller down. Hope it becomes a sort of cult classic and the team can make some profit at least.

pesda

Banned
Quick q. Does my kinect have to be dead center? I hid it behind my tv because I actually use it just for voice commands. Only place I can put it is the corner by my speaker. Like I said. Won't play this with a controller.

Awesome. Bought it through the smartglass app, but it didn't install. Had to goto my games corner. Said ready to install. First time it ever did that since they allowed the smartglass purchase download.

How long would you say it is to complete the prologue and both episodes?. I'm about to watch a playthrough of the game (i don't have an X1) and its about 3 hours long and the last video is titled 'end of episode 1', does that sound about right?

Sounds like the prologue and episode one combined.

And don't spoil it by watching it on YT, wait until you get an X1.

jesu

Opened this thread not expecting much, reached page 3 and bought the game.

Is it a standing up Kinect game or can you play sitting?
If it's standing up I'll wait till I'm less hungover to play.

edit - actually my question is answered on page 4, sitting down it is.

RetroStu

Banned
Sounds like the prologue and episode one combined.

And don't spoil it by watching it on YT, wait until you get an X1.

I'm out of work at the moment and to be honest, this isn't my kind of game. I don't usually like Japanese games with the constant over the top melodrama etc but i watched a 10min vid of this and it actually looked quite interesting.

Guerrilla

Can someone help me with the
"Difference between Looking and Observing"
bit? I've tried
looking left and right
a bunch of times but no cigar. What am I doing wrong?

Try to
down ;) just lean into the screen

Just finished the game, great fun! Kinect really works well with this. The action sequences are super fun, we need more of those!!! Ep1 was a little stronger than 2 imo, more crazy character interaction. Only thing that bothers me is the slow talker. He's tedious after a while...

Any word on how long it will take until ep3?

Montresor

If you don't buy it now, there won't be any future episodes, the success of this release depends on it

This is an entire season. There's no waiting for more episodes like with TWD/TWAU. This is it.

If there's more, it will be an entirely new season and the only way to get more seasons is to support the game now.

Prologue and two episodes.

I'm weak - it did not take much convincing. Just bought the game with my existing credit and I'm waiting for it to download now.

Alright, is this game worth my hard earned 15$? I would play it with the kinect.

Definitely, we used Kinect controls and they worked really well for us. Three only problematic thing was you need to exaggerate the swipes to turn the view around because otherwise they don't register. Everything else is fine, items have large hit boxes so you don't need to be to precise and the action scene QTE's are genuinely enjoyable with kinect.

How long would you say it is to complete the prologue and both episodes?. I'm about to watch a playthrough of the game (i don't have an X1) and its about 3 hours long and the last video is titled 'end of episode 1', does that sound about right?
Took us that long to get to the end of episode one but that is doing mostly story stuff and ignoring sidequests and collectibles.

So is anyone else incredibly offended by how he is portraying a gay man in this game?

I thought video games might be over that stereotype, guess not.

Try to
down ;) just lean into the screen

Just finished the game, great fun! Kinect really works well with this. The action sequences are super fun, we need more of those!!! Ep1 was a little stronger than 2 imo, more crazy character interaction. Only thing that bothers me is the slow talker. He's tedious after a while...

Any word on how long it will take until ep3?

Look down. Use the left stick to highlight the point.

Montresor

1 hour and 10 mins later and the game is still downloading. They should really bring back the idea of trials for every single downloadable game. Not so much because trials are demos, but because downloaded trials are equivalent to pre-loading an entire game before purchase.

I had the trial for Monkey Island 2 on 360 downloaded for years on my console. The game suddenly went on sale last week. All I had to do is purchase the license and right away I could play the game. Because when you download a trial you always download the full game 100%.

You should be able to pre-load any game. before purchasing, even if:

1) The game is already out
2) The game is a retail game

I.E. let's say it's November 15th and I haven't bought Forza Horizon 2 yet. I should be able to pre-load the full game pre-purchase right then on November 15th. Then, hypothetically, I should have the choice of buying the digital license two days later on November 17th, or I should be able to go to my local store, buy the Forza Horizon 2 disc, and start playing immediately when I get home without the need to install or patch anything.

If we had an infrastructure set in place like this for all games, then I would've pre-loaded D4 pre-purchase the day it came out. And I wouldn't have to wait like I am now to play the game, lol. I think this would make things more convenient for everyone.

Necrovex

I'm conflicted at the moment, I really want to experience D4. However I cannot get a Xbox One for the next few years (due to external reasons), so I am considering watching a Let's Play of it. Has anyone watched a Let's Play of it, if so did that hamper the experience for you, and which one should I watch?

Yuterald

I could hang out in the apartment and listen to the title screen record till the end of time. Looking out the window, watching the trees sway in the breeze and the leaves fall...it's the most comforting gaming experience I've had all year. I think D4 is exactly what I needed in my life right now.

atomsk

Party Pooper

Depends on how much you're trying to do.

I spent 1 hour on the Prologue, and 3 hours in Episode 1, interacting with as much as I could find, doing side-cases, etc, and I think I may have still missed stuff.

Opened this thread not expecting much, reached page 3 and bought the game.

Is it a standing up Kinect game or can you play sitting?
If it's standing up I'll wait till I'm less hungover to play.

edit - actually my question is answered on page 4, sitting down it is.

I was able to play it lying down on the ground too! My couch is too far back for me to sit and use kinect it seems. However, I was incredibly impressed with how well it worked with me lying down. They did an amazing job with Kinect in this game!

Finished the prologue last night. Coming back for more today!

statham

switched the kinect speed to fast and its working so much better, going to replay the prologue right now.

edit: just finished, much, much funner with the kinect.

Nori Chan

So is this like the walking dead where it's like episodes? Or it this one whole season?

Would it be best to wait for the whole thing, like TWD?

Montresor

So is this like the walking dead where it's like episodes? Or it this one whole season?

Would it be best to wait for the whole thing, like TWD?

I was on the fence for this reason too but this isn't a situation where you will sit and wait for more episodes for this season. The D4 release is the entirety of season one - it's prologue, episode one, and episode two. Season one is released in one shot. If there is another D4 release it will be a sequel, or "season two".

For that reason I didn't wait and dove into the game.

Anyone know how many hours it would take to get all 78 achievements? Anything missable?

MrBS

I played through prologue and chapter one last night. Swery is back. Game is crazy. Soundtrack amazing. Kinect stunt scenes are great. Love it!

Huh does it say that anywhere official like in a press release. Based on the ending alone it makes it seem as though season 1 is more than than the Prologue, Episode 1 and Episode 2.

That's it. Pretty sure there's an interview where Swery says that the only way to get more is to buy the game. And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there are no more episodes currently in development. So yeah, seems this is it for now.

So it's really up to gamers to show their support if they want more.

atomsk

Party Pooper
are some of the achievements bugged? Just finished Ep 2 and nothing popped

Looking at some of the ones I'm missing I know I did some of them (Anger Olivia in the cargo container)

jesu

are some of the achievements bugged? Just finished Ep 2 and nothing popped

Looking at some of the ones I'm missing I know I did some of them (Anger Olivia in the cargo container)

It's just X1 achievements that are bugged in general :(
They'll pop at some point, but it seems to be happening randomly in every game for it.

jesu

I was able to play it lying down on the ground too! My couch is too far back for me to sit and use kinect it seems. However, I was incredibly impressed with how well it worked with me lying down. They did an amazing job with Kinect in this game!

Finished the prologue last night. Coming back for more today!

Sounds good.
I'm going to make sure I've got Kinect set up perfectly before starting, probably tomorrow night.

Top Bottom