• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damn near PERFECT controller for Xbox and PC - Razer Wolverine V3 Pro wireless controller

Topher

Gold Member
I've been using this controller for a few days and it has easily surpassed every other controller I've ever used. It ain't perfect, but it is pretty close.

Well.....I say it ain't cheap, but at $200 it is in the same ballpark as other "pro" controllers like the Xbox Elite Series 2 and DualShock Edge.

Like the DualShock Edge and Elite Series 2, the Razer comes with a nice carrying case and braided USB cable. Unlike the Elite Series 2, it does not have a recharging mount. What it does have that neither of those other controllers is hall effect thumbsticks, which frankly, for the price, should be standard on all three. All three have the trigger stops for short pulls which I really like.

5ZkQdWr.jpeg

Like the Elite Series 2, there are four back buttons, but there are also two additional buttons next to the bumpers which is a nice add.

qHBEgsv.jpeg
GD8R49q.jpeg

The build quality on this thing is outstanding. The rubberized grips really feel nice and there is no mushiness in any of the buttons or triggers. Every press has a nice click to it, including the d-pad.

Probably the biggest selling point for this controller is that the wireless dongle works with both my PC and Xbox Series X. With my USB switch, I can use one controller for them both.

Battery life is supposed to be around 20 hours which is pretty damn good.

The Razer software works fine. Has what you would expect for setting dead zone, assigning buttons, etc.

The one big gripe I have about this controller is that it will not remap any of the buttons to keyboard keys or macros. You can only remap to other buttons on the controller. This makes the extra button next to the bumpers a little useless for me. Missed opportunity, imo, but that is really my only gripe.

kDsPGvw.png

Overall, this thing is top notch and by far the best controller I've ever used. Razer really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve been wanting one of these for a while. I’ve gone through like 5 or 6 Elite and Elite 2 controllers and they always end up breaking in some way. I really wish they made one that would work for PS5 and Xbox, though.

King Dazzar

Topher Topher great post. I mentioned this recently in the Edge thread as its been on my radar. Only con I've heard so far is battery life and needs a lot more charging than the Elite. But that doesnt bother me.

What does bother me is my previous Razer Wolverine controllers have always had some quirk with the Xbox. Like not powering it on or having to unplug and re plug in etc. So whats it like when solely being used on the Xbox in terms of powering on the machine and config via software? Any disconnects, rumble as powerful as Elite?

Thanks again. I really shouldn't invest anything more into XSX, but it is tempting...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I didn't hear good things about the V2. This one is getting some rave reviews though so decided to give it a shot. Obviously I'm impressed.
I am a controller nut and once I get back home I am trying out the Flydigi Vader 4 Pro controller, silly ass name but after putting it through its paces I may have to try that Razer as I am a big fan of their products

The specs on this Flydigi with Hall Effect sticks for $80 off Amazon

• Force-Adjustable Lever Joystick, 1% Outstanding Centering
  • Knob-Adjusted Resistance, 40~100gf Step-Less Adjustment
  • Force-SwitchableVibration Triggers, 256-level Precise Linear Control
  • 4 Remappable Additional Buttons + CZ Buttons, 2 Level Micro-Switchable Mode
  • Wireless1000 High Polling Rate, 1ms Ultra-Low Latency
  • Compatible with Windows 10/11, Switch, Android, iOS
  • 2.4GHz USB & Bluetooth & Wired Connections
  • Joystick-Dedicated Chip, Achieve Linear Control Curve
  • Hybrid D-Pad & Mecha-Tactile ABXY Buttons
  • Flydigi Space Station 3.4 Real-time Customizing

Been messing around with the V3 the past few days. It is, leagues and bounds better than the V2. Feels sturdy, no weird problems with the triggers.. I love the tactile click of the L2 and R2 when you flip them to hair trigger mode. Buttons feel nice, rubber grips all the way around.

And Hal Effect Sticks! hell to the yes. Easily the first third party controller I've used that fully smokes the Elite 2 controllers. I highly recommend this thing, best controller I've used to date.

Topher

Gold Member
Topher Topher great post. I mentioned this recently in the Edge thread as its been on my radar. Only con I've heard so far is battery life and needs a lot more charging than the Elite. But that doesnt bother me.

What does bother me is my previous Razer Wolverine controllers have always had some quirk with the Xbox. Like not powering it on or having to unplug and re plug in etc. So whats it like when solely being used on the Xbox in terms of powering on the machine and config via software? Any disconnects, rumble as powerful as Elite?

Thanks again. I really shouldn't invest anything more into XSX, but it is tempting...

No issues starting up my Xbox. Works just like my regular controller. This has haptics so more subtle than regular rumble. You can adjust the strength though. I have mine set to about half. Have not noticed any issues using the controller with Xbox or PC as far as disconnects and such.

//DEVIL//

I have been using the 8bitdo wireless controller Xbox version.

That too has hall affect triggers and sticks . With dock for wireless charging

I am very sensitive to input lag because I play cod with a controller on PC ( I know bite me ).

The controller comes with its own software that can disable deadzone . Any slight movement and the character does move without any problem. Been using for months now to the point that I can’t play with the ps5 and Xbox controller because I can still feel the dead zone even if minimize it to zero in the game settings .

Best 50$ ever . Worth buying really.

This razer controller is the price of Xbox series S fuck off wtf lol

Last edited:

Soodanim

Had me going until rubberised grips and only existing button maps for extra buttons.

Rubberised anything will eventually degrade, ruining the controller.

Not being able to remap properly is a crime, although I imagine that's more of an option on PC.

Topher

Gold Member

That too has hall affect triggers and sticks . With dock station.

I am very sensitive to input lag because I play cod with a controller on PC ( I know bite me ).

The controller comes with its own software that can disable deadzone . Any slight movement and the character does move without any problem. Been using for months now to the point that I can’t play with the ps5 and Xbox controller because I can still feel the dead zone even if minimize it to zero in the game settings .

I have the 8bitdo and yeah, it is great. Absolutely the best value in controllers, imo. But it is not as premium as this, obviously.

Razer controller is $200, not $300. lol

Do the triggers rumble like a normal Xbox controller?

No, I don't think they do.

King Dazzar

Been messing around with the V3 the past few days. It is, leagues and bounds better than the V2. Feels sturdy, no weird problems with the triggers.. I love the tactile click of the L2 and R2 when you flip them to hair trigger mode. Buttons feel nice, rubber grips all the way around.

And Hal Effect Sticks! hell to the yes. Easily the first third party controller I've used that fully smokes the Elite 2 controllers. I highly recommend this thing, best controller I've used to date.
Stop it, I'm starting to get my geek on man!!
The Fifth Element Movie GIF

hinch7

Same I have the Ultimate and dock. Think I paid something like £26. Can't fault it for build, HE sticks, software, customisations and profiles.

Input lag could be better at 200hz polling, but a very solid controller and the dock/receiver is quality.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Yeah that 8bitdo controller is probably the best value in gaming controllers. But it's not premium as far as build quality goes. Still an insane deal for what they offer with it.

King Dazzar

Only other one on my radar is the new Nacon one revealed, Revolution X Unlimited iirc. Has Hall Effects too. I'm more taken by the Razer though.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I hate that razer adds their chroma effects to their controllers and locks them behind a damn app.

This line of controllers has gotten better over the years and the lights are much MUCH better in this revision.

Keep an eye on Amazon and pick them up refreshed for 1/2 the msrp.

TrebleShot

Ah man I've been eyeing this one up but I have SO many controllers now.

The latest third party I got was the Guilikit kk pro and it felt amazing to play mostly due to the anti friction sticks. But have gone full circle back to xbox controller.

I do believe the wolverine v3 has hall effect triggers AND sticks if I'm not mistaken?

Topher

Gold Member
Ah man I've been eyeing this one up but I have SO many controllers now.

The latest third party I got was the Guilikit kk pro and it felt amazing to play mostly due to the anti friction sticks. But have gone full circle back to xbox controller.

I do believe the wolverine v3 has hall effect triggers AND sticks if I'm not mistaken?

Not sure about the triggers being hall effect. Razer doesn't say that on their website.

But FoxMcChief FoxMcChief , I was wrong. The triggers do have haptics.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Looks very nice, and those extra buttons look quite handy.

Does it have an audio jack for the headphones? I might treat myself to it if so.

Tunned

I have been using my MS Elite 2 controller for some time now, and I'm getting quite sick of the mushy LB and RB buttons, RB does not always register input. Thanks for bring the Wolverine to my attention OP, I honestly did not know that the market for pro controllers is so diverse, I might give the Wolverine V3 a try.
Can some one tell me how racing games play with the Wolverine V3? For example I Iove how the Dual Sense feels in GT7, is the Wolverine the same/better for racing?

Assaulty

Mind you they are also selling a 100 dollar wired one called the Wolverine v3 tournament edition. If you dont care about wireless that looks to be a very good budget option for competitively minded players

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I was just looking at this yesterday. 200 is too much for me but I'll bite on a sale. My elite is wearing down.

Skifi28

My first experience with hall effect sticks wasn't amazing. I got a nacon revolution 5 pro and compared to a dualsense, the sticks feel a little mushy and less precise. I wonder if this is a nacon specific issue or just the tech itself not having fully matured yet.

Sorcerer

Power A is actually coming out with a controller that may undercut this one. It also has Bluetooth for 100 bucks where the Wolverine does not for $200. Same extra shoulder buttons on top also. Even cheaper by half I believe if you don't care about rgb or the extra shoulder buttons. Also, hall effect sticks and mechanical buttons.

41F2WdqDHzL._MCnd_AC_.jpg

Anyway, does anybody know if the back paddles on the Razer are recognized in Steam Input? That always drives me crazy now knowing.

Last edited:
Biggest thing that breaks for me is the left bumper. If this thing is built like a tank or even better easy to replace those bumper/buttons, my cheap ass would fork out the money for them.
Maybe on a Black Friday sale :)

King Dazzar

Saw that one too, but I have no experience with their products and lot of faith in Razer quality.
Yeah I've only had one Nacon controller and it was great. I've had two Razer controllers and both have had build quality issues. One had the paint come off the triggers, another the sticks ended up having a notch feeling in the middle. But my Razer mouse was great. I've owned 4 Elite 2's with 2 of them being faulty OTB or develop faults within a year. So YMMV with all these things. But I still think the V3 looks great and obviously you are endorsing it too. 👍

I'm waiting on Gamer Heaven to do a review first. But the V3 seems to be a winner so far. Let us know if any issues come to light...

TheShocker

I use a Gamesir G7 SE right now and love it. Will probably get the Wolverine V3 TE when it drops at the end of the month. I don’t care about wireless connectivity and it’s $100 cheaper than the pro.

King Dazzar

My first experience with hall effect sticks wasn't amazing. I got a nacon revolution 5 pro and compared to a dualsense, the sticks feel a little mushy and less precise. I wonder if this is a nacon specific issue or just the tech itself not having fully matured yet.
Yeah I mentioned in another thread that Hall Effects arent quite the promised land some make them out to be. I know one controller tested with them had accuracy actually lower than normal potentiometer based ones. That said, they are being used more and more and some appear to be better quality than others. I still think ultimately they are the way forward.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Yea the 8bitdo ultimate is absolutely crazy value and also comes with a charging stand lol. Best 50$ I ever spent.

I trust my boy Topher Topher judgment though. I will look to pick one of these up on Black Friday.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah I've only had one Nacon controller and it was great. I've had two Razer controllers and both have had build quality issues. One had the paint come off the triggers, another the sticks ended up having a notch feeling in the middle. But my Razer mouse was great. I've owned 4 Elite 2's with 2 of them being faulty OTB or develop faults within a year. So YMMV with all these things. But I still think the V3 looks great and obviously you are endorsing it too. 👍

I'm waiting on Gamer Heaven to do a review first. But the V3 seems to be a winner so far. Let us know if any issues come to light...

Oh absolutely. I got until the end of the month to return to Amazon so I'll be putting it through its paces.

kevboard

I've been using this controller for a few days and it has easily surpassed every other controller I've ever used. It ain't perfect, but it is pretty close.

Well.....I say it ain't cheap, but at $200 it is in the same ballpark as other "pro" controllers like the Xbox Elite Series 2 and DualShock Edge.

Like the DualShock Edge and Elite Series 2, the Razer comes with a nice carrying case and braided USB cable. Unlike the Elite Series 2, it does not have a recharging mount. What it does have that neither of those other controllers is hall effect thumbsticks, which frankly, for the price, should be standard on all three. All three have the trigger stops for short pulls which I really like.

5ZkQdWr.jpeg

Like the Elite Series 2, there are four back buttons, but there are also two additional buttons next to the bumpers which is a nice add.

qHBEgsv.jpeg
GD8R49q.jpeg

The build quality on this thing is outstanding. The rubberized grips really feel nice and there is no mushiness in any of the buttons or triggers. Every press has a nice click to it, including the d-pad.

Probably the biggest selling point for this controller is that the wireless dongle works with both my PC and Xbox Series X. With my USB switch, I can use one controller for them both.

Battery life is supposed to be around 20 hours which is pretty damn good.

The Razer software works fine. Has what you would expect for setting dead zone, assigning buttons, etc.

The one big gripe I have about this controller is that it will not remap any of the buttons to keyboard keys or macros. You can only remap to other buttons on the controller. This makes the extra button next to the bumpers a little useless for me. Missed opportunity, imo, but that is really my only gripe.

kDsPGvw.png

Overall, this thing is top notch and by far the best controller I've ever used. Razer really knocked it out of the park with this one.

can you adjust the reaction curve of the sticks, and if so with how much granularity? sadly, we live in a world where game devs are too stupid to properly adjust aiming controls for controller even tho even indy games like Neon White figured it out, but multi billion dollar companies releasing AAA games, I AM LOOKING AT YOU RESIDENT EVIL 4 REMAKE!!!, are too fucking stupid to do it...

so to me this has become an important feature now

Stafford

Hold on, what are hall effect sticks?

I've been going through Elite V2s ever since they came out, and once I got issues I returned it for a new one. Especially the issues with buttons just not registering unless I pressed them in way too hard. I do love the battery life of the Elite V2 though.

But if the Razer doesn't have any issues like Elite has......maybe I needs to get me one.

Topher

Gold Member
can you adjust the reaction curve of the sticks, and if so with how much granularity? sadly, we live in a world where game devs are too stupid to properly adjust aiming controls for controller even tho even indy games like Neon White figured it out, but multi billion dollar companies releasing AAA games, I AM LOOKING AT YOU RESIDENT EVIL 4 REMAKE!!!, are too fucking stupid to do it...

so to me this has become an important feature now

About six levels of granularity, if this is what you are talking about.

fHz4jIz.png

Asymmetrical sticks are an insta "not perfect" for me.

Ah....many folks feel that way. Personally, I move from asymmetric to symmetric and back and don't think twice about it.

Hold on, what are hall effect sticks?

I've been going through Elite V2s ever since they came out, and once I got issues I returned it for a new one. Especially the issues with buttons just not registering unless I pressed them in way too hard. I do love the battery life of the Elite V2 though.

But if the Razer doesn't have any issues like Elite has......maybe I needs to get me one.

Hall effect sticks reduce the chance of drift. Not sure how the long term reliability of buttons and such are since this is fairly new. Everything feels really solid though.

kevboard

About six levels of granularity, if this is what you are talking about.

fHz4jIz.png

no no no, that's the dead zone, I am specifically interested in reaction curve settings.
a reaction curve determines how high the input value of your stick is at any given angle you tilt your stick

(shitty paint doodle incoming)

for example, this is roughly how I had to adjust the reaction curve on my Nacon PS5 controller so that Resident Evil 4 Remake doesn't feel like shit to play:

EiCcLeT.png

the Nacon settings only allow 2 points (the circles) of granularity without an option to round off the reaction curve either.

so it would be cool if the Razer allowed for reaction curve adjustments, and allowed for more adjustment points and with a way to actually make it a curve instead of 3 straight lines.

edit: just to explain why I had to make that curve. the game internal curve of RE4 Remake looks basically like this:

UraETui.png

and if combined my curve basically cancels out the curve in the game and the resulting curve feels like this:
zmS0eMi.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom