• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damn near PERFECT controller for Xbox and PC - Razer Wolverine V3 Pro wireless controller

Topher

Gold Member
no no no, that's the dead zone, I am specifically interested in reaction curve settings.
a reaction curve determines how high the input value of your stick is at any given angle you tilt your stick

(shitty paint doodle incoming)

for example, this is roughly how I had to adjust the reaction curve on my Nacon PS5 controller so that Resident Evil 4 Remake doesn't feel like shit to play:

Q6NPajm.png

the Nacon settings only allow 2 points (the circles) of granularity without an option to round off the reaction curve either.

so it would be cool if the Razer allowed for reaction curve adjustments, and allowed for more adjustment points and with a way to actually make it a curve instead of 3 straight lines.

Ah.....I get what you mean. No, don't see anything like that here.

Three

It looks like a hell of a controller for all the extra button features. I think Hall effect sensors are a little overated now though. At the beginning regular sticks on these official controllers were trash and would drift like crazy but I've not had any drift or reliability issues with newer official ones. It also helps knowing if it ever does drift I can get a stick module for around 20 quid anyway and easily replace it.

kevboard

Ah.....I get what you mean. No, don't see anything like that here.

huuuuge bummer... they really need to add that, because to me it became an essential feature. one that both the DualSense Edge and the Xbox Elite also have. so many games these days still ship with astoundingly stupid reaction curves and no settings. Halo, Destiny, Resident Evil 4 (not 2 or 3 for some reason, those feel fine)... it's sad

Last edited:

Stafford

And of course it doesn't seem to be available in The Netherlands. Can only order via Amazon US or Razer, they do ship to The Netherlands, but it's gonna suck if I get issues with it. I'll wait, maybe the stores here get it.

hinch7

I am a controller nut and once I get back home I am trying out the Flydigi Vader 4 Pro controller, silly ass name but after putting it through its paces I may have to try that Razer as I am a big fan of their products

The specs on this Flydigi with Hall Effect sticks for $80 off Amazon

• Force-Adjustable Lever Joystick, 1% Outstanding Centering
  • Knob-Adjusted Resistance, 40~100gf Step-Less Adjustment
  • Force-SwitchableVibration Triggers, 256-level Precise Linear Control
  • 4 Remappable Additional Buttons + CZ Buttons, 2 Level Micro-Switchable Mode
  • Wireless1000 High Polling Rate, 1ms Ultra-Low Latency
  • Compatible with Windows 10/11, Switch, Android, iOS
  • 2.4GHz USB & Bluetooth & Wired Connections
  • Joystick-Dedicated Chip, Achieve Linear Control Curve
  • Hybrid D-Pad & Mecha-Tactile ABXY Buttons
  • Flydigi Space Station 3.4 Real-time Customizing
Haven't been paying attention to controllers and tech but damn, this is what I am looking for. The on-the-fly adjustable resistance and instant digital triggers sound really good. Software is crazy too.

Tempted to get one now lol.

Last edited:
Ah....ok. I have two of the back buttons for L3 and R3. The other two clutches. But couldn't figure out what to do with M1/M2. So why A and X?

I usually have A mapped to jump and X to reload, so I got comfortable using them on M1 and M2 so I didn't have to take my thumbs off of the sticks. This was muscle memory from when I had my older Wolverine controllers that didn't have back paddles

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Wait, there’s third-party wireless Xbox controllers now? Didn’t MS kill off all of them a few years go?
They tried to do something that would ban third party controllers you could cheat with I believe. I don't know what came of that. Now they are finally letting third party's officially license their proprietary wireless technology.
I guess if they are never going to bring out the elite 3, they will let others make versions of it and take a cut off them.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
After using the so called elite controllers I gotta say anyone that pays more then 50$ now for a controller that doesent have dual sense haptics and adaptive triggers is insane

Nah....I can easily do without adaptive triggers (most PC games don't support them), but there are certainly more reasons to consider one controller over another than haptics, which this one has.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

I've been using this controller for a few days and it has easily surpassed every other controller I've ever used. It ain't perfect, but it is pretty close.

Well.....I say it ain't cheap, but at $200 it is in the same ballpark as other "pro" controllers like the Xbox Elite Series 2 and DualShock Edge.

Like the DualShock Edge and Elite Series 2, the Razer comes with a nice carrying case and braided USB cable. Unlike the Elite Series 2, it does not have a recharging mount. What it does have that neither of those other controllers is hall effect thumbsticks, which frankly, for the price, should be standard on all three. All three have the trigger stops for short pulls which I really like.

5ZkQdWr.jpeg

Like the Elite Series 2, there are four back buttons, but there are also two additional buttons next to the bumpers which is a nice add.

qHBEgsv.jpeg
GD8R49q.jpeg

The build quality on this thing is outstanding. The rubberized grips really feel nice and there is no mushiness in any of the buttons or triggers. Every press has a nice click to it, including the d-pad.

Probably the biggest selling point for this controller is that the wireless dongle works with both my PC and Xbox Series X. With my USB switch, I can use one controller for them both.

Battery life is supposed to be around 20 hours which is pretty damn good.

The Razer software works fine. Has what you would expect for setting dead zone, assigning buttons, etc.

The one big gripe I have about this controller is that it will not remap any of the buttons to keyboard keys or macros. You can only remap to other buttons on the controller. This makes the extra button next to the bumpers a little useless for me. Missed opportunity, imo, but that is really my only gripe.

kDsPGvw.png

Overall, this thing is top notch and by far the best controller I've ever used. Razer really knocked it out of the park with this one.
You're good at this PR thing... sell me a Xbox Series S...GO

Last edited:

Crayon

I didn't see any mention of gyro in there. Can't do that. not that it matters as I've never been very interested in these expensive controllers. They're cool, though.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
After using the so called elite controllers I gotta say anyone that pays more then 50$ now for a controller that doesent have dual sense haptics and adaptive triggers is insane
I actually hate adaptive triggers after a lot of surgeries on my wrists as it makes me hurt plus when I play shooters like Hell Let Loose or Call of Duty I don’t need feedback slowing my shot

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Bloody hell Topher! You may have found me my perfect controller.

Elite V2 has pissed me off for years. I don't understand why MS hasn't released an improved V3. This looks great.

Gonna pick one up. Thx

Last edited:

Zathalus

I just purchased the new Envision Pro last month, alas it is currently stuck in customs hell.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Does it work with ALL the pc stores out of the box without any setup or is it like every not xbox official controller that only work on steam and you have to fucking tinker to make it work with the other stores?

spons

Gold Member
Meh, dongles. Even with controllers like these Microsoft doesn't want to put Xbox Wireless tech in third-party hardware. And that's a bloody shame.

I havr had a lot of razer equipment:
Headphones (wire broke rather quickly)
Mice (3 of them purchased for three people. All broke.)
Keyboard (broke rather quickly)

Some would say I should stay away from razer. I would agree. And oh, it is ONLY razer equipment that breaks down. Stuff from other vendors (one corsair mouse excluded) just keep working. :D

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't think that make for the 140 dollars difference.

But yeah, i thought he was talking just about pc controllers, i didn't read the title correctly.
There is some tournament version, which is significantly cheaper, just does not have as much buttons as this, but I am fine with it. That's what I am going to buy when it will be available here

Assaulty

There is some tournament version, which is significantly cheaper, just does not have as much buttons as this, but I am fine with it. That's what I am going to buy when it will be available here

Actually has the exact same number of buttons. Just no swappable thumb sticks, no wireless and no case included

Astray

Would have considered it, but I have already went for this controller instead:

Hall-effect analog sticks, built like a tank (can probably kill a guy if I threw it at him). and buttons aren't noisy.

I did disable the back buttons on the controller though, because I'd inadvertently push them while holding the controller during gameplay.

Last edited:

Mownoc

On the other end of the spectrum if you're cheap AF like me the EasySMX X05 is a very decent extremely cheap controller. Picked mine up for £24 from Amazon and it's great. Probably the cheapest wireless gamepad you can get with hall-effect sticks and triggers. Not quite as good as the 8bitdo Ultimate but at half the price it's well worth it.

calistan

For a similar price I highly recommend the Scuf Instinct controller. Same sort of thing, but it's the buttons on the back that set this one apart for me.

They're in a kind of sculpted channel where your middle finger sits, which makes it super easy to find them without having to feel for an upper/lower button. It's a much better layout than paddles.

n6JZluL.jpeg

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m too risk averse to drop $200 on a controller, but I hope this one gives you years of use. 8-BITDO has Hall Effect and Triggers in wireless Bluetooth form for around $70, is more my speed.

King Dazzar

Ive had my V3 Pro for almost a week and it's great. I did a comparison between the V2 Chroma and the V3 pro here:

Thanks. Thats useful. I assume the M1 and M2 are the extra shoulder buttons. For me they're a little bit awkward to reach, so I had them mapped to the start and pause buttons. I always have the back buttons cover the face buttons. That way nothing you do ever has to have your thumbs leave the thumbsticks. So are these two shoulder buttons now pretty much of no use due to them being awkward to press? Or is it more that they just dont feel as nice?

Do you have anything further to add on how you find the new back buttons? How do find the Razer app on Xbox?

Topher

Gold Member
Does it work with ALL the pc stores out of the box without any setup or is it like every not xbox official controller that only work on steam and you have to fucking tinker to make it work with the other stores?

I was playing Star Wars Outlaws on Ubisoft Connect right out of the gate so doesn't seem to be an issue.

I don't think that make for the 140 dollars difference.

But yeah, i thought he was talking just about pc controllers, i didn't read the title correctly.

Much more premium feeling controller, but the fact that I can use this one controller for both Xbox and PC brought a convenience value that I felt was worth it. I just hit a button on my USB switch and it changes over from PC to Xbox and vice versa.

But yes, there are better values for hall effect controllers out there, certainly.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
How's the game? I'm considering picking it up once the typical Ubi upcharge fades.

It is ok. I'm paying $18 for a month of Ubisoft+ so I can't complain too much, but yeah......wait for a deep sale if you are going to buy. Early impressions.....it's like Starfield and Watch Dogs had a baby from parents who were massive Star Wars nerds. That may sound bad, but I'm actually enjoying it. It is like that summer action flick that you are glad you waited for it to be available with streaming instead of spending $80 to take the family to the theater.

You suckers paying half the price of a console for a controller will never cease to amaze me. Flydigi Vader 4 Pro has at least comparable functionality for half the price. Hell, even an 8bitdo ultimate for 60 bucks does the job.

Topher

Gold Member
You suckers paying half the price of a console for a controller will never cease to amaze me. Flydigi Vader 4 Pro has at least comparable functionality for half the price. Hell, even an 8bitdo ultimate for 60 bucks does the job.

No it doesn't. Those only work on PC.

Why don't they sell the wired version on Amazon? :(
I try to stay away from Best Buy if I can

Edit: I bought the extended warranty for my Elite 2 that runs out the end of this year. Going to be sending it in for them to repair/refurbish/replace. I only paid $20 for 3 years, so was worth it. Already had them replace it once for the LB breaking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom