• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zero Escape won.

They both lost irredeemably for me. Not that I would not play *anything* in their universe (V3 is a different case entirely), but honestly both installments were huge disappointments.

I'd say DR3 lost slightly less, albeit only slightly.

There is no victor here. Only the barren husks of former beautiful thriller franchises.

FluxWaveZ

Just finished episode 12 and trying to figure out what happened

where did it all go wrong

I thought that it'd be easy to pinpoint an exact episode but, surprisingly, it seems it was a very gradual downfall instead of one specific moment that immediately shifted opinions. Interesting. I guess I'd point at Future arc episode 6 for when people started to scratch their heads at what was going on.

Taruranto

Zero Escape won.

I'm pretty sure they take place in the same universe now.

I don't remember Higurashi's ending pissing me off,(though I don't remember loving it either) of course Umineko went so far up its own ass it came out the other side.(though it was still entertaining)

The "Home Alone" part was kinda stupid and looking back
Hinamizawa Syndrome
was kinda lazy, but at least Higurashi never betrayed his themes and all the characters really had solid arcs. Rei was also an excellent epilogue to the story.

Seakitties on other hand...

itIrxFG.gif

R07 writes his stories with the solution already in mind though, Higurashi is effectively one long VN divided in 8 parts. No way Future/Despair and ZTD were in the authors minds from the very beginning. (maybe some general ideas)

I mean, I'd count the first Ace Attorney trilogy being like this with the Fey clan through line, and it has a fantastic conclusion.

This was the only one I could consider. Thought hotel dusk but last window ending was just meh. Might be a issue for the genre to have a good ending to the franchise when multiple sequels are made.

The only redeeming thing DR3 has for me so far is Juzo's character arc and the stupid weekly theories we could all talk about.

ZTD had one really great story arc with D2 END.

ZTD is more disappointing to me just because I was expecting more/better from that series where as as soon as I saw DR3 would be an anime with few episodes I knew it was more than likely to end up a rushed mess.

mrmickfran

Around the time the show was first announced.
lol
I thought that it'd be easy to pinpoint an exact episode but, surprisingly, it seems it was a very gradual downfall instead of one specific moment that immediately shifted opinions. Interesting. I guess I'd point at Future arc episode 6 for when people started to scratch their heads at what was going on.
Is that when Munakata started his roaring rampage? Then yeah, I'll agree with that.

I still didn't play ZTD but how long is it? The total time a person will spend on DR3 is 8 hours so if ZTD is longer than that it loses.

25 hours, give or take.

FluxWaveZ

an MC with an actual tangible talent? clearly going to die in the 1st chapter.

It's less the talent and more the fact that there are several other characters with ahoges and that Kaede, oddly, seems to be kind of put aside in some pieces of key art like the box art.

Oh, that's rad. I had thought that Monokuma was the only thing being brought into the new storyline. I like the ultimate talents as a gimmick of the series, it really helps create (and destroy) expectations.

Soriku

ZTD while ultimately disappointing was more fun to go through than DR3 and had some pretty good parts to it. Sadly I feel like ZTD matters more to the Zero Escape trilogy than DR3 does to the Danganronpa trilogy. I kind of feel like I can recommend DR1 and 2 to people while not requiring them to watch 3, but I can't recommend 999 and especially VLR to people while also telling people to stop at the latter.

So although I think ZTD is better than DR3, I also believe it did more damage to its franchise. When Uchikoshi eventually does a Q&A for ZTD, I think it's going to be very...interesting. Kodaka can still redeem himself with DRV3.

I haven't clawed my way through the ZE trilogy yet, but imo DR3 is completely disposable. It adds nothing to a story that's been wrapped up just fine since SDR2, while ZTD is like the conclusion to that three game saga. DR already had that. You can play DR1 and SDR2 and not touch anything else in the whole franchise and you'll still be getting a complete experience.

PK Gaming

Dunno why you guys are comparing ZTD the game to DR3 the anime tie in

Just wait until DRv3 comes out, then we'll see which series will come out on top

Just wait until DRv3 comes out, then we'll see which series will come out on top

they're both conclusions to their respective storylines, that's the point of comparison.

V3 is "supposedly" gonna be its own thing.

To be fair tho, DR3 is specifically billed as the ending of the DR1/SDR2 story, while DRV3
allegedly
is totally its own thing.

Edit: ninja'd twice!

It was gradual, but if you needed one point I actually think that the next week (week 7) was when things started going down hill and people started noticing. That was when we had the UDG episode that, while dumb fun, brought Future to a grinding halt followed by the Despair episode that basically dropped the turd bomb that we were in for brainwashing.

It's less the talent and more the fact that there are several other characters with ahoges and that Kaede, oddly, seems to be kind of put aside in some pieces of key art like the box art.

Yeah, there's 3 ahoges between the Kaede, the Ultimate Detective and Ultimate Robot. Inventor and ??? also seem to have twin ahoges similar to what they gave Toko/Jill in UDG.

Just got all caught up. Hmm...

Maybe it's all the hope I have, but I've enjoyed everything up to this episode (and even small parts of this episode) so I'm going to stay optimistic for how they wrap this thing up.

I will say other than the pretty bad developments we have here, I think the problem was never the Anime itself but the fear that they couldn't wrap up everything they needed to in the episode limit they gave themselves. Still a concern for sure.

I wish that the anime was 24 episodes

16 Future arc

7 Despair arc

1 Hope arc

Alternate not every other episode obviously, but maybe go two futures and then one despair, until the final hope episode. More focus on the hope arc and less time spent on despair would have done this anime a world of good. More twists, more turns, more time to give a more elaborated story.

FluxWaveZ

It was gradual, but if you needed one point I actually think that the next week (week 7) was when things started going down hill and people started noticing. That was when we had the UDG episode that, while dumb fun, brought Future to a grinding halt followed by the Despair episode that basically dropped the turd bomb that we were in for brainwashing.

Oh woops, that's actually the one I meant, checking back now. Future 6 actually got me pretty hyped for what might come next with its ending. It's Future 7 where I remember people going "Wait... that's it?" or "Pointless episode," and then speculating what that meant for the rest of the series.

Huh, I knew about the Ultimate talents in V3, but I just learned that the SHSL Robot in the game is literally called "Hope."
Damn, I've never really minded it as much as some people seem to, but even I was hoping that Kodaka would've taken it in a different direction than the usual hope vs. despair stuff in V3.

PK Gaming

they're both conclusions to their respective storylines, that's the point of comparison.

V3 is "supposedly" gonna be its own thing.

V3's suppose to be a clean break from the rest of the series. DR3's the supposed grand finale for this storyline.

To be fair tho, DR3 is specifically billed as the ending of the DR1/SDR2 story, while DRV3
allegedly
is totally its own thing.

Edit: ninja'd twice!

I know that ya'll

But we're talking about franchises going to head to head here

It's 100% pointless to compare a fully fledged game to an anime

I know that ya'll

But we're talking about franchises going to head to head here

It's 100% pointless to compare a fully fledged game to an anime

and we're telling you it doesn't matter if one's an anime or a game, the point is how well/badly they concluded things.

DR3 could've been an audio book and ZTD could've been a stage drama, it doesn't matter.

Shizuka

Isn't that an inherent requirement of all long-running visual novel series that gain notoriety?
Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Corpse Party... all wind up getting completely undermined the more installments they receive.

I think that if it was a game, it wouldn't come out with a story as bad as the anime is getting.

Eumi

I wish that the anime was 24 episodes

16 Future arc

7 Despair arc

1 Hope arc

Alternate not every other episode obviously, but maybe go two futures and then one despair, until the final hope episode. More focus on the hope arc and less time spent on despair would have done this anime a world of good. More twists, more turns, more time to give a more elaborated story.
Honestly, just do 24 Future, call it DR3, just flashback to the stuff in despair that you needed, make mind control something Ryota came up with to combat despair and this would probably be decent.

Ultimate Robot is called Kiibo/Keebo and not Kibou specifically tho, so it could just be a cute reference and not the Hope's Peak plot getting another smack.
/denial

I think that ZTD is the loser.

ZTD spoilers

ZTD actively left elements from previous games unresolved. Like, SUPER unresolved. AND on top of that, they didn't even give players a true ending to the story - it ends with an in-text cliffhanger, and the notes at the end of the game don't even BEGIN to compare to VLR's.

Like, where are Clover and Alice? Weren't they supposed to be there?

What happened to the mysterious person playing an important role in ZTD? Even if we assume that it's the player who entered Kyle's body, the player wasn't a part of the story in ZTD.

While they made an excuse for why Brother and Free the Soul were basically nothing to the overall story, it felt like a worse retconning of their significance than Junko being changed from a charismatic person to a brainwasher.

Also, why is everyone cool with Mira, a person who has, if I recall correctly, killed every other person who is capable of being killed at least once?

I don't think that DR3 can even begin to compare to ZTD as far as being a disappointment goes. ZTD is leagues ahead of UDG and Professor Layton VS. Phoenix Wright, but that's not saying THAT much.

Ultimate Robot is called Kiibo/Keebo and not Kibou specifically tho, so it could just be a cute reference and not the Hope's Peak plot getting another smack.
/denial

We can only hope

/denial

He looks like Naegi, his name is literally 'Hope', he'll probably be voiced by Ogata too...and he'll be among the first to be killed off to show that this is a different ballgame. Or at least that's what I expect.

He looks like Naegi, his name is literally 'Hope', he'll probably be voiced by Ogata too...and he'll be among the first to be killed off to show that this is a different ballgame. Or at least that's what I expect.

That's what I'm expecting for the Ultimate ???, since the ones in 1 and 2 were super important and ended up surviving.

Pianist girl dies in the first chapter and Hope is the protag for the rest of the game.

Don't you dare.

Pianist girl dies in the first chapter and Hope is the protag for the rest of the game, with Detective and ??? as the other Trial Point Getters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom