• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

Hmm... I think these characters are still at risk:

Seiko Kimura
Ruruka Ando -OR- Sonosuke Izayoi (possibly both, definitely one)
Kazuo Tengan
Makoto Naegi (I definitely do not think it's out of the question; it would be quite the fuckery if they killed off the main character only three episodes in, and made Asahina/Kyoko the star)
Koichi Kizakura
Juzo Sakakura

And if Makoto is killed by Munakata, Munakata can go on this list as well.

ehh I don't see Naegi dying at this point. Plus his death would go against the OP death of suicide. Unless you count Naegi telling people his NG code and location as suicide.

Fandangox

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't trust wheelchair girl whatsoever. I won't believe "I can't turn right" until we actually see her bracelet.

Its probably a standard red herring, but the fact that the talent scout suspects her means she is at least hiding something aside her forbidden action.

Eumi

Thinking about it, they basically ran back Byakuyas death in DR2 as well.

God, they really don't wanna touch the DR1 cast. Which is fucking stupid as this is the end of their arc.

Imagine if next episode just opened on Naegis head hitting the ground though. It's kinda make sense in a way. Soften up the audience with an Asahina fakeout, and then actually murder Naegi on what seems to be the most obvious fake cliffhanger ever. Although that would imply Narukami is right so I'm not sure I'd really like that beyond it being ballsy.

GoldStarz

They didn't even kill off Asahina. It's obvious they're not going to be killing off Makoto, especially not 4 episodes in.

You're assuming that the Aoi fake out wasn't specifically to make people assume this wasn't a fake out.
tbh killing makoto off here would actually be really ballsy but i don't think they're going to kill him until he has experienced despair.

Eumi

You're assuming that the Aoi fake out wasn't specifically to make people assume this wasn't a fake out.
tbh killing makoto off here would actually be really ballsy but i don't think they're going to kill him until he has experienced despair.
Ok so like, Narukami brought that up right? But Naegi totally knows despair. Dude went through an execution. Sure, he lived, but he honestly thought he was going to die. I get the point of he had his memories erased so he hasn't truly experienced the world they live in now, but the idea that he's had it any good is laughable. Maybe it's an indication that Narukami is wrong, but it kind of feels like they're trying to paint Naegi as naive when if anything he's the veteran here.

She's the same chick that did the doping drug teru used in the despair arc ep 2.
Danganronpa has plenty of exagerated effect across each game wit stylish and comedic purposes , but never when it's a key point to the plot ..

So i wouldn't think she's the traitor , she's got way too much on her plate.

Sure the murders may be somewhat grounded in reality due to the nature of the cases but outside of that really anything goes. I mean we have giant robots, craps that destroy buildings and love potions. Doesn't surprise me at all that the ultimate pharmacist would have access to some type of doping medicine.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think there'll be much of "Makoto experiencing despair" here, at least not more than he had in DR1.

He has luck AND he was cognizant that they were in a simulation when he died. If anyone will make it out of the coma its him.

Naegi, not Nagito. :p

Also, to back up a little, I think it's awful suspicious that Chisa just made Chiaki class representative, which sorta leans into her being on Team Despair. But the professor and scout are hella suspect too. All I can say is that Kyousuke and his Dragon aren't going to be antagonists in the long run; I wonder if they'll flesh out Jyuzo more in the future.

I do love that we're only three days a way from a little more getting revealed; at the very least the construction of the shows is to reveal a little bit at a time that feeds into each next episode in the other series. It's a neat concept, it's really a 24 episode series with two parallel storylines than two separate 12 episode series.

PK Gaming

5PrgaPN.png

GoldStarz

Ok so like, Narukami brought that up right? But Naegi totally knows despair. Dude went through an execution. Sure, he lived, but he honestly thought he was going to die. I get the point of he had his memories erased so he hasn't truly experienced the world they live in now, but the idea that he's had it any good is laughable. Maybe it's an indication that Narukami is wrong, but it kind of feels like they're trying to paint Naegi as naive when if anything he's the veteran here.

An execution doesn't hold water to what we've seen of the outside world, from what we know DRAE was a light-version of what happened to most of the world, are you really saying that's on par with Makoto being not-executed? Makoto is inexperienced as hell when it comes to this shit, the level of despair he's felt is below-average in the world that he lives in now.

Sapientas

Does Makoto even have "luck"? I thought it was established he was actually the Ultimate Hope, especially with Nagito's introduction. In the main plot his only display of luck was his entry into Hope's Academy by that lottery. There was also that thing in IF, but anything other than that?

Does Makoto even have "luck"? I thought it was established he was actually the Ultimate Hope, especially with Nagito's introduction. In the main plot his only display of luck was his entry into Hope's Academy by that lottery. There was also that thing in IF, but anything other than that?

he has high luck , but his hope factor got stronger.
It's nothing like nagito luck that had warping reality effect , but he's lucky enough to be considered a trait

Puruzi

Banned

Alter Ego conveniently appearing and saving his life.

well I'd say he got lucky Sayaka's plan to frame his ass failed

FluxWaveZ

There are quite a few examples of Makoto being lucky, with a couple of them listed above. The way I see it, he's both and he always was both. It's just manifested in a different way than Nagito's.

PK Gaming

There is nothing supernatural about him at all, no.

He's just lucky in the conventional sense.

That said, I'd sooner call him the Ultimate Unlucky Student, given what happened to him in his short story

"Makoto Naegi's Worst Day Ever"

There is nothing supernatural about him at all, no.

He's just lucky in the conventional sense.

That said, I'd sooner call him the Ultimate Unlucky Student, given what happened to him in his short story

"Makoto Naegi's Worst Day Ever"

Nah, he's definitely lucky, he just has unlucky things happen to him that ultimately leads to luck. It's the same with Nagito, except instead of bad things happening to others, bad things happen to him.

1. Because Makoto's door was broken, Leon created damning evidence.
2. Because he was chosen, he was entered into the and was able to confront Junko and survive the outside world.
3. Because he was chosen for execution in chapter 5, he is ultimately able to unravel Junko's plan.
4. Because he was poked by a pin thingy, he regained his memories leading to an alternate history where everyone survives.

Sapientas

Yeah it makes sense. The entire first game is filled with little examples.

I guess it's just overshadowed by Nagito's absurd luck and how better the second game used each character's Ultimate traits.

I guess it's just overshadowed by Nagito's absurd luck and how better the second game used each character's Ultimate traits.

I'd say that Makoto's Ultimate Hope is what tends to overshadow his luck. People think of him more as that after how DR1 ended. DRAE also has moments where Toko stresses him being the Ultimate Hope IIRC.

But I'll say it right now: there's 100% no way they're killing off Asahina anymore after the fake-out.

Yea, I kinda agree, although not 100%. The way they teased it with the intro and made us stew for a week makes me disinclined to believe that she'll die.

kewlmyc

Unless he can't kick or punch.

But I'll say it right now: there's 100% no way they're killing off Asahina anymore after the fake-out.

I wouldn't put anything past this series anymore. I could see them making us think Asahina's safe since they pulled one on us already, but then kill her off for real later.

If that toy knife shit with Hina is never given an interesting explanation, it will probably go down as one my number one reasons why TV as an art medium is dumb (Edit: or can be dumb sometimes I guess I should say). As of right now, that entire idea is an out of place page-turner gimmick that serves the story in no way but keeps the viewer coming back next week. A whole week we're led to believe an OG character is dead for no apparent reason.

Other than that thought, I will say I'm enjoying the show. The despair arc is appropriately wacky and the future arc has some good ideas with the bracelet restrictions. It was kinda bizarre to me though when I realized that the future arc is another Monokuma killing game. Like, the whole point of going to anime was to give the story the freedom to get away from that it seemed.

If that toy knife shit with Hina is never given an interesting explanation, it will probably go down as one my number one reasons why TV as an art medium is dumb. As of right now, that entire idea is an out of place page-turner gimmick that serves the story in no way but keeps the viewer coming back next week. A whole week we're led to believe an OG character is dead for no apparent reason.

Other than that thought, I will say I'm enjoying the show. The despair arc is appropriately wacky and the future arc has some good ideas with the bracelet restrictions. It was kinda bizarre to me though when I realized that the future arc is another Monokuma killing game. Like, the whole point of going to anime was to give the story the freedom to get away from that it seemed.

that is an incredibly ignorant thing to say, like holy crap.

Sapientas

If that toy knife shit with Hina is never given an interesting explanation, it will probably go down as one my number one reasons why TV as an art medium is dumb. As of right now, that entire idea is an out of place page-turner gimmick that serves the story in no way but keeps the viewer coming back next week. A whole week we're led to believe an OG character is dead for no apparent reason.

Pretty sure there will be some explanation, though I'm guessing it won't be that important, like maybe it was a play on Makoto from the killer.

Pretty sure there will be some explanation, though I'm guessing it won't be that important, like maybe it was a play on Makoto from the killer.

Hmm

I'm thinking that maybe it was to protect Asahina. Because if someone came across her, they would certainly not kill her, because they thought she was a corpse.

The core of Asahina being alive tells me that Kodaka ultimately has no intention of subverting any core message and moral setup that he established from previous stories.

Eg. Aoi dying would had massively undermined Sakura's sacrifice and setup of what that arc was about in DR1.

By that same token, I don't see scenarios like Remnants falling back to darkness or Naegi falling to despair happening because those would be storytelling aspects that undermine key takeaways from other games.

PK Gaming

Nah, he's definitely lucky, he just has unlucky things happen to him that ultimately leads to luck. It's the same with Nagito, except instead of bad things happening to others, bad things happen to him.

1. Because Makoto's door was broken, Leon created damning evidence.
2. Because he was chosen, he was entered into the and was able to confront Junko and survive the outside world.
3. Because he was chosen for execution in chapter 5, he is ultimately able to unravel Junko's plan.
4. Because he was poked by a pin thingy, he regained his memories leading to an alternate history where everyone survives.

That's what I mean by conventional luck.

I don't think there's a "force" affecting his fortune like with Nagito. He's really just that lucky/unlucky.

So in all we've had three students with ultimate luck - Makoto, whose luck brought him to Hope's Peak; Nagito, whose luck... well, is kinda bullshit; and the girl (whose name I forget) who lost her admission to the lottery, thereby avoiding the killing school life.

Also, it just occurred to me that my theory about "Nagito Komaeda means 'I am Makoto Naegi'" is dashed now that I think about it. Mainly because my theory was that Nagito was trying to subvert Makoto and become Ultimate Hope, and in doing so made a name that exuded his jealousy for Makoto. Now it seems that, with the Despair arc giving him his name, that doesn't make any sense. I suppose too that since he remembers his name but not his school life, that this means that he couldn't have donned a new name. Darn it.

It didn't help that Another Episode never had him say his name.

GoldStarz

So in all we've had three students with ultimate luck - Makoto, whose luck brought him to Hope's Peak; Nagito, whose luck... well, is kinda bullshit; and the girl (whose name I forget) who lost her admission to the lottery, thereby avoiding the killing school life.

I mean she's probably dead now but yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom