• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanently A

The Celeste case was the most disappointing one in the series, she couldn't have made it more obvious she did it if she tried. Before that I was dreading what kind of scheme the "ultimate gambler" would come up with.

I must be a special kind of dumb when it comes to these kinds of games because I could never tell who the murderer was before the reveal.

I'm still upset Celeste died as late as she did

Anyway, this is what I was expecting for the killers:

Episode 1: Leon (was pretty obvious early on)
Episode 2: Byakuya (for a bit)
Episode 3: Celeste (she was the only one that I could reasonably believe did it)
Episode 4: Hina
Episode 5: Monokuma

Episode 1: Mikan (don't remember why)
Episode 2: Mikan (I was apparently very suspicious of her lol)
Episode 3: Not sure; I just know that I stopped suspecting Mikan at this point, haha.
Episode 4: Nekomaru (for a time)
Episode 5: Sonia

how dare you, her motives were pure

Finally someone else who understands. Celeste was a pure girl who just wanted to live in a castle filled with manslaves who did everything she asked. She was the purest of everyone in DR1 and didn't deserve to die. Especially not in the case that she did.

I think the issue with Celeste is that she is not a good schemer, she is not a good chessmaster, she's just a good liar. Her plan's failings were due to Hifumi, who:

1. Implemented a design flaw in the outfit
2. Made an outfit that pretty clearly matched his tastes
3. Was too liberal with his application of the blood

Her plan didn't really fail where she was concerned. And it was only through Hifumi's incompetence (and his dying words) that she was cornered, causing her to become more obvious as the trial went along.

I must be a special kind of dumb when it comes to these kinds of games because I could never tell who the murderer was before the reveal.

Don't worry, I'm pretty convinced a lot of people that claim that they guessed all of the killers are fudging what warrants being called a "guess." Either having a vague suspcion of the correct character or guessing it was either x, y, z, a, b, c, and oh look, I was right! It WAS b, my definitive guess! I mean, Leon and Celeste were kinda obvious if you were really thinking in the mind of the writer, but I'm not buying that the rest were easy.

DNAbro

I think the issue with Celeste is that she is not a good schemer, she is not a good chessmaster, she's just a good liar. Her plan's failings were due to Hifumi, who:

1. Implemented a design flaw in the outfit
2. Made an outfit that pretty clearly matched his tastes
3. Was too liberal with his application of the blood

Her plan didn't really fail where she was concerned. And it was only through Hifumi's incompetence (and his dying words) that she was cornered, causing her to become more obvious as the trial went along.

Actually I thought she was a shit liar. The reason I knew it was her is because she was acting 100% out of character while the murders were happening.

I think it's funny though that Celeste is the only killer in DR1 that kills out of the basic premise of the mutual killing game. Everyone else does it out of different circumstances.

I honestly rather like Celes. To me she's a Walter White-esqe bullshit terms who gets by pretending to be uber-competent and collected (and 'European'), when really she's a marginally book smart brat who's always in over her head and gets a thrill out of the rush.

Related to the first point though, why was Hajime and his gang sympathetic to what Gundham did in case 4 of DR2? If he did what he did just so they all could escape the fun house, why did he hide the fact he did it? Unless it's some Chuuni 'you must prove you are worthy of surviving by outwitting me bwahahahahaha' sort of thing.

Related to the first point though, why was Hajime and his gang sympathetic to what Gundham did in case 4 of DR2? If he did what he did just so they all could escape the fun house, why did he hide the fact he did it? Unless it's some Chuuni 'you must prove you are worthy of surviving by outwitting me bwahahahahaha' sort of thing.
I'd say that's exactly what it is. He did it to help everyone but wanted to keep up his evilness.

gaiages

Banned
Random thought, honestly I think Chaiki is going to be the one that is influenced by Junko/turns to despair first and the rest follow because she seems to be set up as the person that binds the Remnants of Despair together.

Could also be Chiaki's suggestion for Hajime to become Izuru.

I just don't feel like Chaiki is going to come out of this as the same person we saw her as in DR2.

Nightbird

Anyway, this is what I was expecting for the killers:
Episode 5: Sonia

This is funny because that's what I did too. However in my case I accidentally spoiled myself into knowing that she was the ultimate despair (how could I've known that all of them were?).
So, convinced that she was the actual big bad, her suspicious behavior reassured me even more that I was right.

This is a huge part on why Danganronpa 2 is my favorite part of the series. Even after I spoiled myself, the game managed to blow my anticipated plot twist out of proportions and made me feel like a fool for thinking it couldn't surprise me anymore.

h0tp0ck3t

Random thought, honestly I think Chaiki is going to be the one that is influenced by Junko/turns to despair first and the rest follow because she seems to be set up as the person that binds the Remnants of Despair together.

I just don't feel like Chaiki is going to come out of this as the same person we saw her as in DR2.

This is actually my biggest fear and the reason I have moved from wanting her to survive to wanting her to die in the Student Council killing game before that happens. If she lives to the end of the Despair arc it could be a setup for her to be the mastermind of Future arc

Rich!

On first impressions... my guesses were as follows

DR1:

1. I guessed Leon as I'm not a dumbass
2. Knew it wasn't Byakuya or Toko, process of elimination drew it down to Mondo.
3. Obviously Celeste
4. Obviously a suicide.
6. Not a fucking clue. Thought it was Kyoko for a bit.

DR2 though....

1. Nagito? Nope. Wait, yes?! Oh wait, no but what the fuck this dude is insane
2. No idea.
3. No idea
4. No idea
5. What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

DR2 blew my mind

Permanently A

272.gif

Rich!

I think nagito will play the main role in persuasion, other than Junko of course

Building despair to bring hope, how beautiful

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Sweet lord, no.

Paltheos

Celeste was so disappointing

Amazing design wasted on such a basic character

Nonsense. There's allot of nuance to Celeste's character, and sometimes it's slipped in in a manner you might miss. Celeste is all about control, usually through manipulation and bullying, but if you'll recall she's actually the one who makes the suggestion about the night rule - That no one should ever wander the halls by themselves alone. As people get picked off or other problems arise due to not following it, she always bemoans that they didn't follow the night rule. The last instance IIRC is along the lines of "So another didn't follow the night rule." She's not feeling any sympathy for the victim or accused, she's upset that the rule she suggested to establish some sort of control was broken. It all fits together very well with the explanation that she later gives about why she can't stand being stuck in the academy.

Edit: I'd like to add that I really like how this development is slipped in. Celeste is usually very aggressive and very... upturning(?) in conversations. She'll often say something in direct opposition to how the others feel, but the manner in which her lines here are slipped in here and her facial expressions at first may imply she actually feels something for the victim/accused but only later it becomes perfectly clear that what these lines actually are her frustration bubbling to the surface. That she doesn't want the others to know it's her frustration is why she's not her usual, calculated, abrasive self.

GoldStarz

I think it's funny though that Celeste is the only killer in DR1 that kills out of the basic premise of the mutual killing game. Everyone else does it out of different circumstances.

I honestly rather like Celes. To me she's a Walter White-esqe bullshit terms who gets by pretending to be uber-competent and collected (and 'European'), when really she's a marginally book smart brat who's always in over her head and gets a thrill out of the rush.

Celeste's vampire motives was just a cover for her real motive, like she said, she wanted out more than anyone in the cast, she just finally got broken down to the point where she acted on it. Everyone else saw hope at the discovery of Alter Ego that they could get out, but Celeste didn't get that feeling at all.

Also, Gundam pretty much explains it, he set this all up so that everyone had a chance to get out, but his personal code prevents him from killing himself outright (which is why he challenged Nekomaru), giving himself up in a trial wouldn't be any different from that.

I think nagito will play the main role in persuasion, other than Junko of course

Building despair to bring hope, how beautiful

I kinda doubt it, outside of actual brainwashing (which Junko doesn't start until she has the First Killing Game to work as a brainwashing program), Chiaki doesn't seem to have much in terms despair going on. She says that having a talent is a limiter, but she doesn't seem to mind it all that much.

Meeting someone like Komaeda though, someone who regards normal people as on his level (on the level of trash), would be a really bad person for Hajime to meet in his current emotional state. I could definitely see that if he and Hajime bumped into each other that the resulting meeting could push him into deciding to go in the IKP.

Rich!

Celeste's vampire motives was just a cover for her real motive, like she said, she wanted out more than anyone in the cast, she just finally got broken down to the point where she acted on it. Everyone else saw hope at the discovery of Alter Ego that they could get out, but Celeste didn't get that feeling at all.

Also, Gundam pretty much explains it, he set this all up so that everyone had a chance to get out, but his personal code prevents him from killing himself outright (which is why he challenged Nekomaru), giving himself up in a trial wouldn't be any different from that.

I kinda doubt it, outside of actual brainwashing (which Junko doesn't start until she has the First Killing Game to work as a brainwashing program), Chiaki doesn't seem to have much in terms despair going on. She says that having a talent is a limiter, but she doesn't seem to mind it all that much.

Meeting someone like Komaeda though, someone who regards normal people as on his level (on the level of trash), would be a really bad person for Hajime to meet in his current emotional state. I could definitely see that if he and Hajime bumped into each other that the resulting meeting could push him into deciding to go in the IKP.

100% not happening though, they met for the first time in Chapter 0 of DR2 on the boat - it was the first time Komaeda knew of him or met him.

GoldStarz

100% not happening though, they met for the first time in Chapter 0 of DR2 on the boat - it was the first time Komaeda knew of him or met him.
He met Izuru for the first time and Izuru and Hajime look pretty distinct from each other. In a boat with no lighting, I really doubt Komaeda would be like "Hey, aren't you that one random talentless dude I met in passing like 3 to 6 years ago!" even if he looked exactly the same.

PK Gaming

Nonsense. There's allot of nuance to Celeste's character, and sometimes it's slipped in in a manner you might miss. Celeste is all about control, usually through manipulation and bullying, but if you'll recall she's actually the one who makes the suggestion about the night rule - That no one should ever wander the halls by themselves alone. As people get picked off or other problems arise due to not following it, she always bemoans that they didn't follow the night rule. The last instance IIRC is along the lines of "So another didn't follow the night rule." She's not feeling any sympathy for the victim or accused, she's upset that the rule she suggested to establish some sort of control was broken. It all fits together very well with the explanation that she later gives about why she can't stand being stuck in the academy.

Edit: I'd like to add that I really like how this development is slipped in. Celeste is usually very aggressive and very... upturning(?) in conversations. She'll often say something in direct opposition to how the others feel, but the manner in which her lines here are slipped in here and her facial expressions at first may imply she actually feels something for the victim/accused but only later it becomes perfectly clear that what these lines actually are her frustration bubbling to the surface. That she doesn't want the others to know it's her frustration is why she's not her usual, calculated, abrasive self.

I definitely wouldn't call her nuanced. Celeste is just a pastiche of gambler jokes with a vampire butler harem fantasy mixed in for good measure. You're reading way, way too much into her character when she feels deliberately designed to be simple and silly.

h0tp0ck3t

Chiaki's fate is all going to come down to one thing. Does Junko like Videogames.

*Chiaki meeting Hajime*
Chiaki: Yo outta my way.
Hajime: Hey is that Gala Omega? I beat that 5 times in a row
Chiaki: Holy shit will you go out with me?

*Chiaki meeting Junko*
Chiaki: Yo you like Videogames
Junko: No way they suck
Chiaki: Fuck you then

Look, Celeste is dressed in gothic lolita and is the Queen archtype so I was going to like her no matter what.

Also she killed Yamada and that's good.

Chiaki's fate is all going to come down to one thing. Does Junko like Videogames.

*Chiaki meeting Hajime*

*Chiaki meeting Junko*

I'm sure one of Junko's personalities likes video games

it's like a competition to find out the most despair inducing moment for chiaki so you guys wouldn't be affected when something slightly less despairy happens

What a wild ride , you all are in

Well my feeling is some sort of self-loathing at her sense of 'normalacy' (and thrill seeking, which is part of her ultimate gambler talent) is what underlies her phony 'Celeste' persona. I think her killing is partly driven by desperation to escape being average, as much as she tried to rationalize being stuck in there, at least externally, earlier.

GoldStarz

*Chiaki meeting Hajime*

*Chiaki meeting Junko*

I'm going to find every video game reference that Monokuma and Junko make a PM it to you
lol

Ponn

Banned
Why are almost all these new future arc characters assholes. How did they not fall to Despair, they embody it already.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
it's like a competition to find out the most despair inducing moment for chiaki so you guys wouldn't be affected when something slightly less despairy happens

What a wild ride , you all are in

Watch it be something really stupid like she ate a bad piece of Takoyaki.

GoldStarz

AI Junko references God of War and Bayonetta in the english translation
And Twilight Syndrome...Bringing it up since it's topical.

Why are almost all these new future arc characters assholes. How did they not fall to Despair, they embody it already.
I mean Ruruka and Jyuzo (maybe Izayoi, but he seems more like the Hifumi to Ruruka's Celeste to me) are the only one being assholes without real reason.

Also, the full version of Kamiiro Awase was apparently released.

Permanently A

Does super saiyan 2 mode actually mean anything

Taka got it and then died and Hajime got it at the end of 2 and Nidai has an electric aura like super saiyan 2

super saiyan is just personality shift

nidai's electricity is the crackling potential energy he's built up within from holding his shit for so long

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
AI Junko references God of War and Bayonetta in the english translation

Teruteru referenced Taylor Swift in the last episode. Or the first, I forget which.

He also mentioned Paris Hilton in the English version, but I do believe that something similar was in the Japanese

Teruteru referenced Taylor Swift in the last episode. Or the first, I forget which.

He also mentioned Paris Hilton in the English version, but I do believe that something similar was in the Japanese

Taylor Swift in Episode 2 of Despair, Avril Lavigne in the first case of DR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom