• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldStarz

I'm pretty sure it's the killer fucking with Makoto. They're mocking him because they pretty easily could have stuck a real blade in her chest, but they went for Gozu instead.

Of course on a meta level, Kodaka is doing the same with us, he's telling the audience pretty much the same thing because for a week, Aoi was dead. This week, she's alive again and Gozu took her place. It's a reminder that the living can die at any moment and the dead came come back as easily as the living can die.

That's just my take though.

Other than the lol Asahina fake out, I'm really happy with the show so far. The two sides have played off each other pretty well so far (two episodes a week is really nice), and I'm looking forward to that trend continuing. Getting DR3 as an anime and allowing V3 to be its own thing will probably end up having been the right decision.

UberTag

Speaking of the fakeout, do tanned girls just have permanent immunity in the DR universe or what?
Last I checked, Sakura was a tanned girl... although she may have had immunity had she not killed herself.

u6UXsYll.png

...a confirmation that they are all alive and the "dead" not comatose as we assumed? Is this a set up for the return of one of them as the mastermind?
Wouldn't one of the DR2 kids being the mastermind kind of validate all of Munakata's hostility towards Naegi for granting them amnesty against the Future Foundation's wishes?

so uh this dude is fucking suspicious

4Ycv8COl.png

did no one else notice this? which girl?!

Kyoko - Nope, she's with Tengan and Mitarai.
Hina and Miaya - Nope.
Ruruka and Seiko - Kizakura just watched them chasing eachother, it's not them.

There's no one else, considering Chisa is dead. Could it be...one of the DR2 cast, which would tie into my post above showing that they are likely all alive? Monaca?

Or am I missing the point entirely and he is literally just referring to Seiko?
I'm assuming he's referring to Miaya (whom he suspected initially and seems to be shady as fuck given Great Gozu's death and her apparent forbidden action decoy) or a still alive Chisa. Nobody else makes sense.

Also wasn't into that crazy lady's transformation. Feels very out of place in the (real) world of Danganronpa as we know it thus far. There was a similar scene in DR3: Despair, but it works a bit better there because it's just for the sake of comedy. Hopefully this wouldn't have any actual repercussions and it was just done for effect.
At least there's a consistency between both of those incidents in that both involved Seiko's pharmacology. If I can adjust to Toko's tongue and Nekomaru being turned into a robot, I can adjust to this.

But I'll say it right now: there's 100% no way they're killing off Asahina anymore after the fake-out.
I wouldn't put anything past this series anymore. I could see them making us think Asahina's safe since they pulled one on us already, but then kill her off for real later.
I can think of another more mainstream franchise involving zombies that pulled the same fake-out stunt with one of its long-standing protagonists last year. I have to wonder how safe that guy is right about now.

The core of Asahina being alive tells me that Kodaka ultimately has no intention of subverting any core message and moral setup that he established from previous stories.

Eg. Aoi dying would had massively undermined Sakura's sacrifice and setup of what that arc was about in DR1.

By that same token, I don't see scenarios like Remnants falling back to darkness or Naegi falling to despair happening because those would be storytelling aspects that undermine key takeaways from other games.
I appreciate that degree of respect for the narratives of past installments of Danganronpa so as to not tarnish them in hindsight. Something that I wish Motomu Toriyama upheld when working on his Final Fantasy XIII sequels.

So, let's see:

• Yu Narukami [FA: Very probably "Can't open doors"]: Dude got a point. Still, he is kind of a douche. He seriously needs to have a little chat with his Shadow and have a proper freakout. Therapy session is in order.

Maybe He'll call in Chie for a Galactic Punt. :p

Also wasn't into that crazy lady's transformation. Feels very out of place in the (real) world of Danganronpa as we know it thus far. There was a similar scene in DR3: Despair, but it works a bit better there because it's just for the sake of comedy. Hopefully this wouldn't have any actual repercussions and it was just done for effect.

If you've read any of the DR LNs, it's pretty clear Danganronpa's world is MGS levels of crazy.

Sapientas

Hmm

I'm thinking that maybe it was to protect Asahina. Because if someone came across her, they would certainly not kill her, because they thought she was a corpse.
I thought it was something like that, but only the killer could do that since everyone else should be sleeping and we saw the moment they were put to sleep. Who could protect Asahina like that?

Makes sense in a scenario with 2 or more killers though.

FluxWaveZ

At least there's a consistency between both of those incidents in that both involved Seiko's pharmacology. If I can adjust to Toko's tongue and Nekomaru being turned into a robot, I can adjust to this.

Well, the obvious thing to point out to Nekomaru being turned into a robot is that it was a virtual world. Same with a sheep turning into a cow. Toko's tongue as Genocide Jill is a purely aesthetic effect, while the transformation in this episode had a functional one.

Again, it doesn't really matter if it doesn't really affect anything down the road, which it might not, but it was still jarring to me. Where I'd dislike it is if it became a plot point (e.g. "Oh, she could leap over this barrier that no one else could if she transformed, which explains X").

If you've read any of the DR LNs, it's pretty clear Danganronpa's world is MGS levels of crazy.

Only Danganronpa 0, but DR1 and DR:AE already makes it clear that the world is pretty crazy. A single girl was able to make the entire world descend into chaos, there's a serial killer who changes personalities when she sneezes, there are giant robots, etc.

But there is a limit, and I do not think MGS is a good comparison. If you think someone like Psycho Mantis or Vamp would fit in Danganronpa, then I disagree and I think it would water down the mystery element of these games enormously. For there to be a proper mystery, things need to be kept within the realms of the realistic to prevent Deus Ex Machinas happening all over the place.

GoldStarz

I'm assuming he's referring to Miaya (whom he suspected initially and seems to be shady as fuck given Great Gozu's death and her apparent forbidden action decoy) or a still alive Chisa. Nobody else makes sense.
Kyoko, the daughter of his former employer and close friend?

Puruzi

Banned
I think Danganronpa is supernatural already. Toko can literally knock away a robot bigger than buildings. A teenage girl can fight in legitimate wars and never get a single scratch. Ghost possession is an actual thing that is CANON. Certain things go beyond bombastic realism imo.

I think Danganronpa is supernatural already. Toko can literally knock away a robot bigger than buildings. A teenage girl can fight in legitimate wars and never get a single scratch. Ghost possession is an actual thing that is CANON. Certain things go beyond bombastic realism imo.

To me Danganronpa is borderline Magical Realism, where the fantastic is treated as just another aspect of mundane life, again like Metal Gear Solid. I don't see how Seiko hulking out is a bridge too far compared to like, for example, all of the class trial executions.

Thud

Perfect moment to kill Makoto offscreen!

He'll probably survive because of his hope drawing out some luck.

Also Danganronpa plays with the boundaries of that media. I mean Killer Killer kills serial killers in one panel. You can do that in a manga.

But seriously how did Hagakure bullshit his way into Hope's Peak, his ability is complete baloney, dude should be the ultimate con man.

Nah, he's definitely lucky, he just has unlucky things happen to him that ultimately leads to luck. It's the same with Nagito, except instead of bad things happening to others, bad things happen to him.

1. Because Makoto's door was broken, Leon created damning evidence.
2. Because he was chosen, he was entered into the and was able to confront Junko and survive the outside world.
3. Because he was chosen for execution in chapter 5, he is ultimately able to unravel Junko's plan.
4. Because he was poked by a pin thingy, he regained his memories leading to an alternate history where everyone survives.

Is he really chosen on regarding point 3? Basically he decided to trust Kyoko and not present the evidence that would condemn her. Actually you have that choice in the game, which leads to a bad ending if you don't get it right.

The whole transformation is fine in itself, but the fact that Future Arc has taken itself far more seriously than pretty much any other Danganronpa story causes stuff that would normally be fine in Danganronpa to feel wildly out of place.

Rich!

The whole transformation is fine in itself, but the fact that Future Arc has taken itself far more seriously than pretty much any other Danganronpa story causes stuff that would normally be fine in Danganronpa to feel wildly out of place.

I feel that's exactly why the scene was such a shock. And why they did it.

Permanently A

But seriously how did Hagakure bullshit his way into Hope's Peak, his ability is complete baloney, dude should be the ultimate con man.

Hagakure is actually the Ultimate Side to Side Hopper. He can hop at speeds exceeding 800 mph allowing him to dodge even heavy duty artillery fired from a military chopper.

Luigi87

So my friend decided to look into the flowers Izuru placed on what is most certainly Chiaki's desk.

Yellow Carnation - A sign of friendship
Daisy - Innocence; Loyal Love; I'll Never Tell; Purity

GoldStarz

I mean, it makes sense. This week's Despair Arc is gonna start souring things a bit, so this week's Future Arc is bringing in some wackier elements.

Rich!

So my friend decided to look into the flowers Izuru placed on what is most certainly Chiaki's desk.

so are you saying we're getting some hajime and chiaki sexytime????

h0tp0ck3t

So maybe your idea earlier that Izuru's despair wasn't from killing Chiaki but not being able to save her isn't too far off

Edit: Original post
What if... What if Izuru actually tried to protect Chiaki? They make it to the end, but then the third last survivor ups and kills her, and Izuru loses it and brutally murders that student and that is his first and only murder but it drives him to despair?

... LET ME HOPE AGAINST THIS DESPAIR

Luigi87

So maybe your idea earlier that Izuru's despair wasn't from killing Chiaki but not being able to save her isn't too far off

Edit: Original post

I certainly hope so.
Izuru may have been an apathetic individual, but I want to believe that he still tried to keep her safe until I'm proven otherwise >_<

Danganronpa is already way steeped into Supernatural hijinks.

Nekomaru, Akane, Sakura, Pekoyama and Junko have actual superhuman strength.
Madarai is fucking Orochimaru.
Mukuro fought in hundreds of battles and never got hit once.
Gundham has actual chuuni powers.
Mondo got turned into butter.

h0tp0ck3t

The Greninja girl was obviously lying about her forbidden action... She's so sketchy.

Is it possible her forbidden action changes? She flinched when Hina went to touch her so we assume her thing is that she can't be touched and is trying to hide it. But when Makoto stuck his bracelet in her face she didn't react at all.

DNAbro

Danganronpa is already way steeped into Supernatural hijinks.

Nekomaru, Akane, Sakura, Pekoyama and Junko have actual superhuman strength.
Madarai is fucking Orochimaru.
Mukuro fought in hundreds of battles and never got hit once.
Gundham has actual chuuni powers.
Mondo got turned into butter.

Gundham doesn't actually have any powers though other than being good with animals.

Rich!

Is it possible her forbidden action changes? She flinched when Hina went to touch her so we assume her thing is that she can't be touched and is trying to hide it. But when Makoto stuck his bracelet in her face she didn't react at all.

"Do what the computer says"?

We know it can be hacked.

NeonZ

Miaya's face never seems to show any emotion in spite of Monomi's reaction, which makes it all sound fake. She's ridiculously suspicious. I guess they might pull something like revealing that someone else is the killer, which would apparently make Miaya a redherring, but then reveal that she's the one behind everything afterwards.

There's just too much pointing to her to the point that she becomes too obvious, but I don't think they can just dismiss it all.

Thud

My two cents is that Tengan is actually Nagito's grandpa and just wanted to Makoto and Munakata to clash.

Two hopes in despair leading to an even greater hope: the future. However he has a partner that actually does the killing. Who may betray him at one time. That partner is someone influenced by despair but never became a remnant of despair.

Aka Ryota Mitarai, the one the ultimate imposter portrays.

Kyoko slept with some lions if that's the case.

NeonZ

Also, by the time he appears in episode 1, the guards are already killed. So, yes, he's extremely suspicious too.

Now, here's my question - who's gonna be the wildcard survivor of the show? 1 had Yasuhiro and Toko, 2 had Kazuichi and Akane.

Personally, I think that the survivor will either be the Ultimate Boxer or the Ultimate Pharmacist. We don't really have anymore of the ridiculous asshole characters (that I can recall), so the closest I can come is one of these two, who are not team players and antagonists in their own rights.

GoldStarz

My two cents is that Tengan is actually Nagito's grandpa and just wanted to Makoto and Munakata to clash.

Two hopes in despair leading to an even greater hope: the future. However he has a partner that actually does the killing. Who may betray him at one time. That partner is someone influenced by despair but never became a remnant of despair.

Aka Ryota Mitarai, the one the ultimate imposter portrays.

Kyoko slept with some lions if that's the case.
A couple problems with that:
1) His moral beliefs are already out of line with Nagito's "There's nothing wrong with normalcy"
2) Everyone in Nagito's family is dead which is how he became wealthy at a young age.
3) Ideals aren't genetically passed down to people.

Now, here's my question - who's gonna be the wildcard survivor of the show? 1 had Yasuhiro and Toko, 2 had Kazuichi and Akane.

Personally, I think that the survivor will either be the Ultimate Boxer or the Ultimate Pharmacist. We don't really have anymore of the ridiculous asshole characters (that I can recall), so the closest I can come is one of these two, who are not team players and antagonists in their own rights.

"Wildcard Survivor" means what exactly? People who wouldn't cooperate with one another?

A couple problems with that:
1) His moral beliefs are already out of line with Nagito's "There's nothing wrong with normalcy"
2) Everyone in Nagito's family is dead which is how he became wealthy at a young age.
3) Ideals aren't genetically passed down to people.

"Wildcard Survivor" means what exactly? People who wouldn't cooperate with one another?

Essentially, the character who really defied things and survived when maybe they shouldn't.

1. Yasuhiro is incompetent and is perhaps the most accused person in the first game. He's also very cowardly and somewhat untrustworthy (even if he does make an effort sometimes).
2. Toko is kind of a weaker example of this, but she's extremely chaotic and probably one of the most prone to getting killed (ie, she could have easily been killed by the Mukuro explosion).
3. Akane, twice, was saved by Nekomaru when she stupidly defied Monokuma, and regularly did things that put her in serious risk. She was also generally an unintelligent person, and despite this, her survival was more that she got lucky and had protection than her strengths.
4. Kazuichi is smarter than Yasuhiro, but perhaps the most cowardly and selfish character in the series. He is constantly picking fights and being obnoxious, annoying, and frustrating.

Usami being the big bad wouldn't be that big of a twist to tbh.

Especially from a storytelling standpoint - very often in a story like this where you have returning characters, they have a new role (or are portrayed to have a new role):

1. Players were tricked into thinking Byakuya was now selfless (and dead)
2. The survivors of 1 are technically your enemies, and Junko technically your ally
3. Toko opens up in AE

In this show, we have a new perspective on the Ultimate Impostor, Chiaki, and Monomi, which suggests to me that we are going to see a lot of new things about those characters that perhaps changes how we view them.

For me the first two games went like -

Going to live - Makoto, Kyoko, Byakuya, Sakura, Taka or Mondo but not both

Going to die - Yamada, Yasuhiro, Celeste, Chihiro

Not gonna count Leon and Junko since I knew about them.

Going to live - Makoto, Nagito, Chiaki, Kuzuryu after Peko dies, Saionji, Sonia

Going to die - Byakuya (not on the first case though), Souda, Nidai, Akane

2 had more curveballs for me with Chiaki, Nagito and Byakuya. I was 100% sure on like case 2 Makoto, Kyoko and Byakuya would all live because they were the smartest.

The Celeste case was the most disappointing one in the series, she couldn't have made it more obvious she did it if she tried. Before that I was dreading what kind of scheme the "ultimate gambler" would come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom