• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

I'd buy Yukizome sooner than I'd buy alternating killers. How many night phases have there been so far? I feel like, if we were to calculate the amount of them there have been with the assumption that there were different killers every night phase, the math wouldn't even match up with how each person was killed.

Chisa is obviously the most suspect right now next to Yu.

Style

Banned
Is the sword next to Yu (that the camera cuts over to) meant to be the one that Izayoi was about to pick up before he chose the other weapon?

If the killer alternated, what exactly is forcing the killer to kill someone else? The implication that they will be killed if they don't murder anyone else during the night phase? But the conversation between Makoto and Yu implied that the killer could just stop at any moment and the game would end.

We are going to need clarification on that point, but maybe the mastermind is trying to create a heroic scenario and wants a certain quota of people before declaring the end? I don't really have any good ideas about why should they kill or not kill considering that scenario Munakata proposed to Makoto.

Permanently A

If the killer alternated, what exactly is forcing the killer to kill someone else? The implication that they will be killed if they don't murder anyone else during the night phase? But the conversation between Makoto and Yu implied that the killer could just stop at any moment and the game would end.

Yu's whole speech was completely bullshit because the killing game is being broadcast live. There's no way the traitor could infiltrate the FF as a hero post game because everyone in the world already knows who they are.

UberTag

I'd buy Yukizome sooner than I'd buy alternating killers. How many night phases have there been so far? I feel like, if we were to calculate the amount of them there have been with the assumption that there were different killers every night phase, the math wouldn't even match up with how each person was killed.

Chisa is obviously the most suspect right now next to Yu.
We've had three "Night Phases" thus far...

Victim #1 = Chisa Yukizome | Killer #1 = ?????????? (interior of Future Foundation HQ inexplicably altered/damaged; gouged wall in conference room inexplicably restored)
(Bandai gets killed by NG code violation due to witnessing violence)
Victim #2 = Great Gozu | Killer #2 = ?????????? (Monaca presumably orchestrates the Hina stabbing fakeout)
(Tengan gets killed by Munakata after having his throat slashed open)
Victim #3 = Seiko Kimura | Killer #3 = ?????????? (Munakata may have ingested drugs to impede the effects of being rendered unconscious during this night phase)

Yu's whole speech was completely bullshit because the killing game is being broadcast live. There's no way the traitor could infiltrate the FF as a hero post game because everyone in the world already knows who they are.
Presumably the cameras would shut down during each night phase just as they are for us.
Of course, Munakata is making an assumption about that.
It hasn't been disclosed one way or the other whether folks from outside can watch in during those.

I just wonder if Gekkogahara has killed. It could have just as easily been that, say, Kyoko was the killer in the second phase and chose not to kill, but Great Gozu died anyway. If her NG is revealing details about the mutual killing game, it would prevent her from making it clear that someone besides her was awake.

If my read of DR0 is correct, despair was considered a talent too.

Precisely! His talent scouting abilities would be able to scout their despair talent, and as such, he would have consciously allowed Ultimate Despair into Hope's Peak Academy.

Sorry this is super derpy but I haven't followed the DG anime at all, only played 1 & 2.

So from my understanding, these are two, new concurrent animes? One is Hope and one is the End? Do these have any spoilers for Danganronpa 3 the game, or is that gonna be a totally new, separate story? I'd rather not watch these if DG3 the game is just gonna retell these in game form.

Sorry this is super derpy but I haven't followed the DG anime at all, only played 1 & 2.

So from my understanding, these are two, new concurrent animes? One is Hope and one is the End? Do these have any spoilers for Danganronpa 3 the game, or is that gonna be a totally new, separate story? I'd rather not watch these if DG3 the game is just gonna retell these in game form.

DRV3 has nothing to do with DR3 - at least if the creator is to be trusted.

As for the concurrence, the two animes are essentially one, and should be watched alternatingly (starting with the first episode of Future).

UberTag

DanganRonpa 3 the anime = the conclusion of the Danganronpa trilogy featuring characters from the first two games and UDG spin-off; both arcs should be watched concurrently
DanganRonpa V3 the game = completely different beast with an entirely new cast

FStubbs

(Off topic - the other interesting thing is that Junko really is Ultimate Analyst. Ultimate Fashionista was probably just a by-product of her analyzing fashion trends.)

Permanently A

No, the Danganronpa third game is called Danganronpa v3 and is a completely different story. Danganronpa 3 is only an anime.

iU9nV4D.jpg

Jyuu ge ki sha wa i re ka wa ru

The attacker alternates.

They misread his lips he obviously says
RYUU GA WA TEKI WO KURAU

So my theory is, assuming that anyone dead is 100% dead as opposed to mostly dead:

Juzo killed Chisa
Miaya killed Great Gozu (thereby having Makoto rely more on her)
???? killed Seiko (leaning on Munakata)

FStubbs

So my theory is, assuming that anyone dead is 100% dead as opposed to mostly dead:

Juzo killed Chisa
Miaya killed Great Gozu (thereby having Makoto rely more on her)
???? killed Seiko (leaning on Munakata)

If Juzo were able to move around at that point, he would've killed Makoto, not Chisa.

UberTag

I would be downright shocked if Juzo has killed anyone during a sleep phase.

Dude has been so preoccupied with trying to end life in a variety of ways while he's been awake he's the last person I'm suspecting as getting a green light to kill with everyone knocked out and asleep.

Beyond that, we've all seen Juzo's thuggish attempts at violence. Throwing chairs at Kyoko. Brandishing lead pipes at Hina. There's no way in hell he'd be preparing these elaborate hanging presentations of these night phase victim corpses. That shit screams of effort.

His only indirect contribution to murder was triggering Bandai's NG code and I suspect that's all he'll be guilty of when this series concludes.

Shizuka

I wonder if Chisa was corrupted like the rest of her class by Junko.

Bingo. I just came here to post this, but this is the explanation I'm leaning towards. If the entire DR2 cast got corrupted by Junko, why wouldn't their teacher be corrupted as well? Far as we know, having one spy among the closest group inside the Future Foundation and the one Munakata loved be the Remnant of Despair all along makes the most sense.

Presumably the cameras would shut down during each night phase just as they are for us.
Of course, Munakata is making an assumption about that.
It hasn't been disclosed one way or the other whether folks from outside can watch in during those.

If it's alternating killers, wouldn't it defeat the purpose to turn off the cameras? Wouldn't you want to broadcast all of the hopes killing each other in a selfish attempt to preserve their own skins and not die via NG Code? That way you show that they're all "dirty" and filled with despair. Whatever the case, I think it would be silly for the Despairs not to broadcast the killer.

ftr, I didn't read his lips but I had assumed he said Juzo, Chisa or Kyosuke. If it was either of those other two it would really explain why Yu totally flipped his shit.

UberTag

iU9nV4D.jpg

Jyuu ge ki sha wa i re ka wa ru

The attacker alternates.
This was brought up on Reddit by thebakaman but I'll reiterate it here...

I'll point out that one way Tengan could have deduced that the attacker alternates between night phases WITHOUT having been on the inside of some elaborate plot or having amazing deductive abilities that would make Kyoko blush is that HE was the designated attacker during either the phase when Chisa was murdered or the phase when the Great Gozu was murdered and NOT the other one.

I mean, it would really be the logical assessment. Not only that but if Munakata was keeping tabs on how the groups were arranged during both the 1st and 2nd phases and reached the conclusion that the Gozu death in the second phase was effectively committed inside a sealed room (or one that his "not able to open doors" self was able to easily reach) that Tengan was effectively admitting to have committed Chisa's murder and reacted in the shocked and violent fashion that he did.

If Tengan did commit one of first two murders but not the other and reached the deduction alluded to by our Twitter lipreader, then I would assume he killed Chisa in a room he was present in over Gozu in a room he was not.

Iokis

Bingo. I just came here to post this, but this is the explanation I'm leaning towards. If the entire DR2 cast got corrupted by Junko, why wouldn't their teacher be corrupted as well? Far as we know, having one spy among the closest group inside the Future Foundation and the one Munakata loved be the Remnant of Despair all along makes the most sense.

Wasn't Chisa transferred to the Reserve Course at the end of Despair 4? She may not even have been present for the class being turned into Remnants.

If Tengan knew about the alternating killers rule, it stands to reason to me that he probably was the killer at one point. That does not necessarily mean he killed anyone however; it is entirely possible that he woke up on the second day, chose not to kill, and instead Miaya killed The Great Gozu.

NeonZ

Koichi is the mastermind

I've solidified my views on this

He's the Super High School-Level Scout. Therefore, his scouting talents are off the charts, right? He should be able to detect the skills of any entrant. For instance, Koichi could detect Mukuro's and Junko's Super High School-Level Despair. In which case, why would he allow them into the school?

Didn't he get put on probation or something after the Nagito incident? That could explain how Mukuro and Junko were scouted, since it'd be some replacement doing it.

I forgot about the sealed room thing in episode 2. Was it ever addressed if someone had busted in? If we go with the alternates theory, it may have been Miaya/Monaca's turn, and that could also explain the Hina fake out.

UberTag

If Tengan knew about the alternating killers rule, it stands to reason to me that he probably was the killer at one point. That does not necessarily mean he killed anyone however; it is entirely possible that he woke up on the second day, chose not to kill, and instead Miaya killed The Great Gozu.
That's most assuredly true. Monaca brings an intangible variable to this equation to keep the game going even if a chosen attacker elects not to murder.

You're absolutely correct that there's a scenario where Tengan did not kill Chisa but was awoken during the 2nd cycle, elected not to kill, deduced the killer alternates, Monaca did the killing (and the Hina fakeout) for chuckles and kept the game going. This would also make it highly likely that Monaca is indeed an accomplice to the mastermind as opposed to being an innocent bystander.

Of course, Munakata could have reached the initial interpretation that I did and violently attacked Tengan in retribution for Chisa when Tengan was actually a "designated attacker" who elected not to act during the second cycle which made no difference thanks to the Miaya/Monaca wrinkle. Love how all of these scenarios can be speculated on.

I forgot about the sealed room thing in episode 2. Was it ever addressed if someone had busted in? If we go with the alternates theory, it may have been Miaya/Monaca's turn, and that could also explain the Hina fake out.

There is a popular theory that the 16th participant is in the ceilings. There are a lot of camera shot as if someone is looking through the gaps on the ceiling.

Also when Seiko went to sleep there was a gap on the ceiling.

(Off topic - the other interesting thing is that Junko really is Ultimate Analyst. Ultimate Fashionista was probably just a by-product of her analyzing fashion trends.)

The fact that the downfall of Hope's Peak came to be because of their cherished project, the incarnation of talent himself, and the individual with the closest talent to that objective never ceases to amuse me.

It was brushed off by thinking the building has hidden paths for the traitor to use (as confirmed by this chapter), but it may come to play at some point in the game. If that's the case, there's also the possibility of Monaca protecting the closest people to Makoto from the killer in order to mess with him, for whatever her plan comprises.

That's most assuredly true. Miaya brings an intangible variable to this equation to keep the game going even if a chosen attacker elects not to murder.

You're absolutely correct that there's a scenario where Tengan did not kill Chisa but was awoken during the 2nd cycle, elected not to kill, deduced the killer alternates, Miaya did the killing (and the Hina fakeout) for chuckles and kept the game going. This would also make it highly likely that Miaya is indeed an accomplice to the mastermind as opposed to being an innocent bystander.

Of course, Munakata could have reached the initial interpretation that I did and violently attacked Tengan in retribution for Chisa when Tengan was actually a "designated attacker" who elected not to act during the second cycle which made no difference thanks to the Miaya wrinkle. Love how all of these scenarios can be speculated on.

That definitely makes sense that Munakata jumped to the conclusion that Tengan was Chisa's killer. And yeah, it's almost more fun to speculate and theorize exactly what is going on and trying to be one step ahead of the story than it is to watch the show unfold itself. :p

I feel like half the guesswork on this killing game is whether or not they're willing to repeat twists from the first two games, lol: fake deaths, 16th participants, everything was a simulation, JUNKO...

I feel like half the guesswork on this killing game is whether or not they're willing to repeat twists from the first two games, lol: fake deaths, 16th participants, everything was a simulation, JUNKO...

its why the alternating killer is getting the most traction, a twist that hasn't been done yet and only could happen thanks to the nature of this game

Great episode, bummed that Seiko bit it, but it was glaringly obvious since the last episode of Despair.

Technically no one had to die because of the old man dying right? The game would have continued?

There is a popular theory that the 16th participant is in the ceilings. There are a lot of camera shot as if someone is looking through the gaps on the ceiling.

Also when Seiko went to sleep there was a gap on the ceiling.

I prefer this to rotating traitor. I'll have to go back and look at a few scenes now.

It was brushed off by thinking the building has hidden paths for the traitor to use (as confirmed by this chapter), but it may come to play at some point in the game. If that's the case, there's also the possibility of Monaca protecting the closest people to Makoto from the killer in order to mess with him, for whatever her plan comprises.

I recall that we had thrown around the passageway thing. If there's one traitor, that definitely makes the most amount of sense for them to get around more easily.

Also, I'm not sold that Monaca did it to protect Makoto/Hina. I think Monaca or the traitor fucking with Makoto makes more sense.

To be fair... This is pretty explicitly a twist. It doesn't seem like they're counting Hiro, so that means that a 16th bracelet wearing person has to be somewhere inside the building.

Technically no one had to die because of the old man dying right? The game would have continued?
If there's no death in the night/sleep phase, the game ends. So there did need to be another kill.

UberTag

Great episode, bummed that Seiko bit it, but it was glaringly obvious since the last episode of Despair.

The rule of this killing game is that it only ends if nobody is killed during the "night phase". Tengan's death technically wouldn't have counted as it happened with one minute to spare. Hence another victim was needed during the 3rd phase that immediately followed (Seiko) or the game would have ended.

Permanently A

I wonder if Chisa being the mastermind would be viewed favorably by fans. On one hand, it could be seen as a lazy rehash. On the other hand, no one would expect it because it's a rehash.

Hmm... I don't rightly know who could be the sixteenth participant. The ones that come to mind are:

1. Haiji (but I'm convinced that he is in the helicopter)
2. Hagakure (only theoretically; I do not entertain at all that he is the killer)
3. Nagito (but Nagito has never killed or attempted to kill anyone directly before, and likely would only do so for Junko)

I mean, they couldn't just have it be "someone" - it would need to be someone we already knew, but also someone of great significance to one or more of past stories.

I wonder if Chisa being the mastermind wolf be viewed favorably by fans. On one hand, it could be seen as a lazy rehash. Ok the other hand, no one would expect it because it's a rehash.

Juzo would also be simultaneously a shock and a lazy choice, Juzo's character archetype never ends up being the mastermind, I hesitate to even call him a red herring because I've seen this kind of red herring so much it isn't a red herring to me anymore.

Maebe

On one hand I'm glad that pointless subplot is over because it was completely stupid(just make sugar free sweets christ), but on the other hand I'm sad they killed the one character from that trio that I found likeable. Really don't care for any of the new cast after this episode but I'm still curious about how plot will unfold.

To be fair about the repeating of twists, Danganronpa has shown that it can repeat twists interestingly, like how in DR2 it's the exact same set-up as the first game with the kids all having lost their memories of their time at Hope's Peak, but instead of playing it straight it's just straight up told to the audience AND the characters that that's what's happening. Amusing, making us think that it's the same exact situation from the first game to divert attention away from the fact that it was very, very different.

Thanks for this. It could be possible, as they're the same type of shot.

I mean, they couldn't just have it be "someone" - it would need to be someone we already knew, but also someone of great significance to one or more of past stories.

Well, there's still the Future Foundation 13th Branch leader. As of DR:AE, Byakuya was in the 14th branch, so unless he got a promotion over a pre-existing branch head, I'm not sure who that could be.

NeonZ

The countdown of surviving people does suggest that there's an unknown person in the game - and Monokuma's description of the number of survivors didn't match that countdown, omitting the extra person.

UberTag

The countdown of surviving people does suggest that there's an unknown person in the game - and Monokuma's description of the number of survivors didn't match that countdown, omitting the extra person.
Monokuma went explicitly out of his way to inform us that Hiro wasn't that extra person either by reinforcing that "nobody cares about him". Presumably Monaca isn't either.

I'm guessing Sakakura's forbidden action that he can't punch anyone?

He kneed Mitarai. He stopped when he was about to punch Tengan. And he always using weapons.

FluxWaveZ

I'm guessing Sakakura's forbidden action that he can't punch anyone?

He kneed Mitarai. He stopped when he was about to punch Tengan. And he always using weapons.

Tengan basically said that's what it was in the last episode. Plus, it was pretty obvious for a while now and it's been the common theory, yeah.

Same with Yu Narukami being unable to open doors or Izayoi not being able to eat his master's sweets.

UberTag

Tengan basically said that's what it was in the last episode. Plus, it was pretty obvious for a while now and it's been the common theory, yeah.
Even Hina called Juzo on his NG code trigger this week. You know it's blatantly obvious if Aoi's able to pick up on it. She's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom