• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monaca wanting Makoto to entertain her makes me fear for Komaru. In Touko we trust.

Also, Seiko was my favorite since the beginning. This hurts...

Thud

Izayoi not being able to eat his master's sweets.

I'm thinking he can't touch familiar objects he didn't make.

Ruruka's sweets are off limits. The sword in that room is off limits. The gun and the weapons against seiko are fair game. He doesn't make guns.

FluxWaveZ

I'm thinking he can't touch familiar objects he didn't make.

Ruruka's sweets are off limits. The sword in that room is off limits. The gun and the weapons against seiko are fair game. He doesn't make guns.

Wait, but you're saying that he doesn't make guns and that his forbidden action would be touching things he didn't make, but he still took the gun.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
i hope that as characters die off, segments formerly devoted to their plot threads are then replaced with more hiro benny hill shenanigans

With him getting torn up from the helicopter's mounted machine gun? Sure.

Knew Seiko was going to die, was hoping she'd take Ruruka with her.

Wait, but you're saying that he doesn't make guns and that his forbidden action would be touching things he didn't make, but he still took the gun.

Yeah, he even says something like "I know I'm a Blacksmith, so forgive me for using this" or something along those lines before he picked up that gun.

I've discovered the true identity of Nagito

Babys_day_out_poster.jpg

1. Both have rich parents
2. Both involve themselves in situations that for any normal person would cause their deaths and accomplish things that are highly improbable
3. Both inadvertently cause bad things to happen to those around them

Thud

He isn't familiar with guns. So it's fine.
He is familiar with a sword, but it's not of his own making.

Sweets thing can also be a ruse to throw Ruruka off. So it's actually simpler that he can't use swords and is ashamed to admit it.

Luigi87

goddammit Kodaka, how dare you make Seiko so friggin likable just to fill us with that much more despair when you kill her >_<

Also holy shi- during the final confontation between Munakata and Tengan o_o

h0tp0ck3t

I'm thinking the time skip is still legit and that the bookshelf only fell in correspondance with him taking the gun off the shelf. The simultaneous explosion from Hakagure getting shot it is to throw us off
It seems too much a coincidence the only shelf to fall was the one hiding that secret door

Puruzi

Banned
Man the more I think about this ep the saltier I get. Seiko literally did nothing wrong. She didn't deserve this, she just wanted to help people. Fuck Kodaka.

d1oN0EU.gif

Just T

Future Volume: 5

Sigh, well that wasn't completely surprising but what happened to Seiko still sucks, she deserved better than being around those two cunts. Also Munakata and his nonsensical bullshit needs to be stopped.

I'm willing to bet that she can not digest her treats

Feel so good to be right.
Again , the mask was not a fashion tool , but something she needed to survive.
I knew it.

--------------
Now the other stupid one knowing why she can't eat those sweet yet choose to ask the impossible is REALLY DUMB.

Can this helicopter finally hit the dumb idiot outside ? Is the helicopter controled by monaca on a second arcade stick ?
it's a joke

Naegi luck was small time compared to nagito , i won't be satisfied unless candies drop from the sky..i've seen bullshit luck , i won't be satisfied with plot armor luck anymore

FluxWaveZ

Feel so good to be right.
Again , the mask was not a fashion tool , but something she needed to survive.
I knew it.

Huh, I didn't think much of her not being able to digest the treats (I was open to the possibility), but I certainly didn't think that the face mask and her breath would be related to a health problem. Really wonder if the breath, in particular, was foreshadowing for that, since it really just seemed like a superficial flourish for Nagito interrupting her at the time. Might as well be at this point, I guess.

Naegi luck was small time compared to nagito , i won't be satisfied unless candies drop from the sky..i've seen bullshit luck , i won't be satisfied with plot armor luck anymore

I'd kinda hate to see Naegi's luck manifest itself like Nagito's. Naegi's is very much the subtle plot armor kind of luck that could be passed off as a "coincidence." Nagito's is the bullshit, OP luck which is like he controls fate itself. Different representations of the same talent is a cool thing.

SephLuis

Seiko dying was sad, I wanted them to kill Ruruka and see how the other two would react to it.

Tengan was amazing when he show what he was capable off.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Damn, RIP badass grampa. And of course Seiko died after getting backstory.

I like the theory of rotating killer. I do wonder if their NG also changed if that the case, since you need motivation to make them kill someone.
Chisa being the culprit still not off the table though.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Would would really be interesting here is if the 16th participant were someone from the Despair Arc, someone we're familiar with and learning about their past but we weren't expecting to be there, who attends the same class as the future Despairs and is proving to be a central part of that arc's presentation, and we would presumably assume didn't fall into despair... or did they?

I'm sure my BS above is exactly that, BS. There's no way Chiaki would be the 16th participant. But man that'd be a major mind-fuck eh? XD

Would would really be interesting here is if the 16th participant were someone from the Despair Arc, someone we're familiar with and learning about their past but we weren't expecting to be there, who attends the same class as the future Despairs and is proving to be a central part of that arc's presentation, and we would presumably assume didn't fall into despair... or did they?

I'm sure my BS above is exactly that, BS. There's no way Chiaki would be the 16th participant. But man that'd be a major mind-fuck eh? XD

I don't think this is BS ..just a statement full of hope

And in this franchise , you know ....

episode was hyped
the deaths were basically we all saw it coming, just a bit surprised they happened a bit differently than expected and later

all these new theories popping up after the episode just made everything all the better

i guess the trio's story is basically over, the blacksmith will probably die because he went through the door or something

i guess they could develop the scout or the animator(?) in despair now so one of them will get killed off lol

Damn, RIP badass grampa. And of course Seiko died after getting backstory.

I like the theory of rotating killer. I do wonder if their NG also changed if that the case, since you need motivation to make them kill someone.
Chisa being the culprit still not off the table though.

If the NG changes, that would then suggest that Juzo and Izayoi are not the killers (assuming Izayoi's is "not eating sweets") since both have stuck to their NGs so far.

Anyway, reiterating:

1. Koichi is the mastermind
2. Tengan woke up on the second phase, didn't kill anyone, and Miaya killed The Great Gozu. This has to be the case IMO, because the anime made a point of talking about "people dying during the phase" rather than "the killer killing someone." Someone dying during the night phase is highly unlikely unless by the hand of the killer, and thus the only one who could reasonably kill someone other than the killer is someone who is not affected by knockout drugs.

UberTag

There's no way that the pre-Despair Chiaki we only know of from a virtual AI characterization that was programmed into the Neo World Program would be the 16th participant.

We really don't know much at all about real-world Chiaki apart from the fact that Hajime was her video game buddy who she missed when he ignored her advice and decided he needed to be artificially infused with talent in order to amount to anything as a friend and contributor to society.

The overwhelming basis for the Despair arc is that we've been set up to believe she dies tragically (either during the first killing game or by Izuru's hand or both) and that drove the rest of her class and Izuru into becoming Ultimate Despairs at Junko's behest. That's merely a by design assumption. We're SUPPOSED to believe that's what occurs because that's what we've been led to believe.

And if there's one thing that's been consistent about Danganronpa over time is that what we're led to believe winds up being a lie.

Style

Banned
Would would really be interesting here is if the 16th participant were someone [snip] who attends the same class as the future Despairs [snip] and we would presumably assume didn't fall into despair... or did they?

tumblr_o4k5bnqi511ueg31jo1_250.jpg

I'm so confused about Ryota Mitarai. Some of the released information confirms that he went to the 77th class (the despair class). So far we have the Ultimate Imposter pretending to be him and the real one hasn't appeared. His whole class fell in to despair, but he somehow managed to stay clean.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Can you blame me? I just want more of
Chiaki.
;P

Here. :p

There's no way that the pre-Despair Chiaki we only know of from a virtual AI characterization that was programmed into the Neo World Program would be the 16th participant.

We really don't know much at all about real-world Chiaki apart from the fact that Hajime was her video game buddy who she missed when he ignored her advice and decided he needed to be artificially infused with talent in order to amount to anything as a friend and contributor to society.

The overwhelming basis for the Despair arc is that we've been set up to believe she dies tragically (either during the first killing game or by Izuru's hand or both) and that drove the rest of her class and Izuru into becoming Ultimate Despairs at Junko's behest. That's merely a by design assumption. We're SUPPOSED to believe that's what occurs because that's what we've been led to believe.

And if there's one thing that's been consistent about Danganronpa over time is that what we're led to believe winds up being a lie.

Yeah, I saw someone's theory that because she's the class rep , she's going to end up getting killed during the Student Council massacre; but I doubt that is going to happen.

Just realized in all the madness I totally forgot that Ruruka wanted to kill Munakata. What's that all about?

She thought that by killing him it would end the game and they could get out.

I'd like to see more about how Tengan's leadership gave way to Kyosuke over time. Tengan is clearly still a badass who's far more clever than Kyosuke so he seems like the better choice for a leader even by the time that the killing game takes place.

I'd like to see more about how Tengan's leadership gave way to Kyosuke over time. Tengan is clearly still a badass who's far more clever than Kyosuke so he seems like the better choice for a leader even by the time that the killing game takes place.

Extremism usually wins out over balance and understanding

So far I think it's Ryota. He is the only one we really have little information about.

Ryota seems like a red herring. Koichi we also know fairly little about, and he's very suspicious as far as being a talent scout goes. I think that there IS something going on with Ryota, but I don't think he's the mastermind. He may be Chisa's killer though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Well, she's off the table now actually

ohyou.jpg

If the NG changes, that would then suggest that Juzo and Izayoi are not the killers (assuming Izayoi's is "not eating sweets") since both have stuck to their NGs so far.

Anyway, reiterating:

1. Koichi is the mastermind
2. Tengan woke up on the second phase, didn't kill anyone, and Miaya killed The Great Gozu. This has to be the case IMO, because the anime made a point of talking about "people dying during the phase" rather than "the killer killing someone." Someone dying during the night phase is highly unlikely unless by the hand of the killer, and thus the only one who could reasonably kill someone other than the killer is someone who is not affected by knockout drugs.

unless the NG changes only for the killer at night

that could be one way to force someone to murder

Hmm... if it's a matter of force, it wouldn't line up with my theory that Tengan woke up, but did not kill anyone.

Let see, what if the rule for the killer is to hang dead body during extra time (he doesn't have to be the one to kill the victim). So let say Tengan got assigned as the killer, tn the first murder, he could watch Chisa 'kill' herself/got killed and then hang her on the chandelier since his NG required him to do so. But this one not really making any sense when the great gozu murdered so i don't know.

You know, with Monaca in equation, anything could happen. For one, she's using robot which mean she's immune to sleeping drug and could do whatever she want during extra time. Nothing stopping her from killing someone or pulling a prank.

Mendrox

I am in for the rotating killer:

To quote someone:

f this is true, I have a theory filling the gaps:

The game said nothing about an individual traitor, we only thought so because the rules were short and the action started immediately. They say that one person (an attacker) wakes up, and that "so basically, there's a traitor". If this is the case, it doesn't imply that just one person is a pure traitor. However the game still says that "the attacker will be given a time limit within which to kill exactly one person."

Since you have to kill one person, 3 people have done so in the 5 episodes. I assume that they are given some crucial threat when they wake up, so that they are convinced to do it. They might also be told they could kill themselves to end the game right there.

Tengan becomes the first attacker, he decides that the only way to truly motivate people is by killing Yukizome
This is why he brings it up specifically while fighting Munukata
After the second killer is waken up, he is still out cold. He figures out that this means the killer changes each time.

Aoi is the second killer, she kills Gozu
She is the one who does the fake knife trick to make people think she is innocent
In a nervous panic, the other two don't think anything of it

I'm not entirely convinced that Aoi did it, and people bring up a good point of Gozu trying to game the system in order to not have to be killed. I feel it'd be too obvious if Monaca did it though. She might just be more a person to make sure rules stay in check.

Tengan tells Munukata about the game's secret, he's stunned because he realizes that Tengan killed Yukizome then.
He decides that he needs to live longer, not letting the secret die.
He kills Seiko for the drug that saves him, tense why he uses it post credits

Mainly reposting to trigger discussion about it.

Sounds good to me.

I'm not entirely convinced that Aoi did it, and people bring up a good point of Gozu trying to game the system in order to not have to be killed. I feel it'd be too obvious if Monaca did it though. She might just be more a person to make sure rules stay in check.

Monaca doesn't strike me as someone who cares about abiding by the rules.

I assume that they are given some crucial threat when they wake up, so that they are convinced to do it. They might also be told they could kill themselves to end the game right there.

I'm going with yes, they are threatened with something but they chose to kill themselves as that's the lesser evil.
If the threat means several of them dying or just the dearest to the attacker that would mean the game continues either way. Then the attackers chose themselves as the sacrifice and the executions are carried out by whoever/whichever is lurking in the ceiling.

And we know Monokuma is going to bend the rules anyway.

Since we all seem to be guessing, chiaki survives and is the actual miaya. Makes no sense but I can see her being crippled by the end of the despair arc and she blames herself for failing to stop her class hence she no longer speaks to people. She's probably missing or dead in the future arc.

I am presently 100% convinced that Monaca killed Gozu, because if she didn't, it would not make sense as to why the wording of the rules regarding killing during the night phase talks about deaths during the night phase and does not state that the traitor must kill. If the killer doesn't kill, who does - besides the one who is immune to the drug, for obvious reasons?

That said, my current predictions are:

???? killed Chisa, and ???? was the traitor
Monaca killed Gozu, and Tengan was the traitor
Seiko killed Seiko, and Seiko was the traitor (it would make sense, since Seiko right before her death is talking about how she just wanted to save everyone - while also likely being filled with despair over Ruruka and Izayoi)

And the sixteenth student is always awake

FStubbs

tumblr_o4k5bnqi511ueg31jo1_250.jpg

I'm so confused about Ryota Mitarai. Some of the released information confirms that he went to the 77th class (the despair class). So far we have the Ultimate Imposter pretending to be him and the real one hasn't appeared. His whole class fell in to despair, but he somehow managed to stay clean.

How many people were in class 77? DR0 claims that Matsuda and Ultimate Secret Agent (forget his name) were in 77 too, but they're clearly ... not.

Though the latter was always hiding ...

h0tp0ck3t

Since we all seem to be guessing, chiaki survives and is the actual miaya. Makes no sense but I can see her being crippled by the end of the despair arc and she blames herself for failing to stop her class hence she no longer speaks to people. She's probably missing or dead in the future arc.

I still want to believe in this even after the Miaya robot reveal. What if the real Chiaki / Miaya is on Jabberwok island overseeing the recovery of the Despairs?

UberTag

I'm trying to wrap my head around Munakata's motivations for the 3rd night phase assuming the rotating attacker theory is correct and our understanding of what drives him based on his confrontation with Makoto in Future Episode 4.

Okay, so we understand that his (semi-ludicrous) motivation for wanting to kill everyone is that he's worried that a despair element will intentionally masquerade themselves as a killing game survivor along with "the hero of the masses" Ultimate Hope Makoto and use that cover to unleash an even greater despair on the world while entrenched in the Future Foundation. His theory makes sense if we assume the cameras are off during each night phase because otherwise said charade would crumble as soon as the game ended.

He's convinced himself that all of the above is true and, in order to avenge Chisa, he intends to root out the remnant of despair himself and will go through as many of his fellow FF members until he isolates them. He will not allow the game to end until he does even if it means he has to sacrifice innocent victims to get to that point. I get all of that. I can even understand why he would murder Seiko - knowing she was a harmless lamb and a trusted ally - to keep the game going because he couldn't allow the game to end with the remnant of despair unexposed. The stakes are too high.

Okay... so now here is where I'm stymied. If Tengan tells him that the attacker rotates, that he is NOT a remnant of despair AND reveals that his NG code doesn't allow him to lie then it kind of throws cold water on Munakata's ideology. I mean, I can understand him aggressively slicing Tengan's throat if he deduced that he was Chisa's killer and not Gozu's in a bout of rage... but his original thought process that he used to justify his actions up until now no longer holds weight.

Random people are being designated as attackers without being remnants of despair. Presumably only the mastermind would be but they may not even be in the game. Perhaps Munakata's gone off his gourd and just figures slaughtering everyone is the answer. I don't know how he presumes hope will blossom from this when he's trying to obliterate his entire side to isolate one possible despair remnant that may be entirely in his own mind when there's a whole island of them kicking around somewhere that he wanted to crucify Makoto for saving. Perhaps he's decided that even the very nature of the Future Foundation is too volatile to exist because he can't even allow the possibility that the forces of despair could use a conduit of hope to service their own ends.

I'm not sure it's going to be possible to redeem this guy. Ruruka probably has the right idea.

I still want to believe in this even after the Miaya robot reveal. What if the real Chiaki / Miaya is on Jabberwok island overseeing the recovery of the Despairs?
I'm more inclined to believe that the real Chisa is on Jabberwock Island overseeing the recovery of the Despairs.

Mendrox

Is Aoi strong enough to hang the great gozu? He must be very heavy

The Ultimate Despairs are class 77 B

Nya I guess he woke up and got a reason to kill someone (alternating killer) but he didn't wanted too so he faked Asahinas death with that knife and Monaka didn't thought that was cool and killed him herself and put him onto the chandalier.

Maybe she is strong enough...as pro swimmer you are very strong.

The only issue is whether miaya ever existed or was a robot from the start. I'm inclined to think she existed and is at the moment missing. Her being chiaki would make some sense of why the chiaki Ai was used. Chiaki dying is so obvious that I don't think it will be as straightforward.

UberTag

The only issue is whether miaya ever existed or was a robot from the start. I'm inclined to think she existed and is at the moment missing. Her being chiaki would make some sense of why the chiaki Ai was used. Chiaki dying is so obvious that I don't think it will be as straightforward.
Nothing in DanganRonpa is ever straightforward. They're clearly subverting expectations on this one. I think it's far more likely that Chiaki is alive and kicking as the mastermind of the Future arc killing game than for her to simply wind up getting killed off in the Despair arc as a plot device... although I do suspect they'll go that route initially (i.e. Izuru and her classmates will believe Chiaki is dead).

h0tp0ck3t

Nothing in DanganRonpa is ever straightforward. They're clearly subverting expectations on this one. I think it's far more likely that Chiaki is alive and kicking as the mastermind of the Future arc killing game than for her to simply wind up getting killed off in the Despair arc as a plot device... although I do suspect they'll go that route initially (i.e. Izuru and her classmates will believe Chiaki is dead).

Wouldn't it be great if she was but the whole point was to prove how fucked up Future Foundation's thinking really was. All the nap time killings are fake just to get all the righteous members of FF out of the way so P4 Protag and his asshole flunkys can fight each other

Edit: Yeah thinking more... this makes no sense lol

FStubbs

The problem with Chisa or Miaya on Jabberwock Island is that Makoto and Kirigiri would know they were fake.

Chiaki is possible. If so no wonder Hajime was smiling at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom