• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

If we operate on the logic that the reveals will have any weight, anyway. Right now I'm pulling for Munakata as Seiko's killer (I didn't even see the post-credits scene until now so I didn't even realize he had her medicine; good thing I saw it lol), Monaca/Miaya as the Great Gozu's killer, and a third yet unknown person responsible for Chisa's death.

Munakata was the one that helped Seiko after Hope's Peak kicked her out though. He wouldn't need to force her to handle him her drugs.

Just watched the Funimation dub.

The worst voice by far is also a holdover from the first anime, Monokuma himself. His voice feels more on the grating side of things, and not in a funny way. It's a damn shame that he's the biggest miss of all. The other DR1 anime voices (Kyoko, Hiro & Hina) are fine, but I prefer the NISA dubs.

Among the newbies Ryota and Juzo stood out as particularly good casting choices. Kyosuke did feel uneven at times, particularly the opening line. Tengan was ok, but I think he should've sounded more grizzled.

Overall, I thought it was good. Not amazing, but I liked it well enough.

MANUELF

Banned
Anyone have the pixel images that were used to example the rules? The one where some characters are talking forward and some sideways? Are all the dead characters walking sideways?

Ponn

Banned
Hmm... I dunno, I don't think that stands to reason as much. Plus, why is Makoto's hand bloodied? Why would Tengan do that? It makes more sense that Monaca was trying to troll Makoto. Plus, Monaca probably can monitor a person's vitals - at the very least, Tengan probably suspected that this could be the case.

Regardless of Tengan being part of it there is no way the Aoi fake out is just messing with Makoto. That is just not fitting with Danganronpa and small shit coming back as big pieces of evidence. Even if its some crazy shit like they don't really fall asleep at night and Monokuma makes them rehearse some some stupid play then gives them amnesia to forget the previous 8 hours every night. It's going to be something.

I'm going to vastly prefer the Despair side compared to the future side.

Only real issue with the future side was Monokuma's voice actor.

Otherwise both seem very solid compared to the DR1 anime voicings.

Anyone have the pixel images that were used to example the rules? The one where some characters are talking forward and some sideways? Are all the dead characters walking sideways?

jB4wphH.png

This one? Currently all the dead characters are walking sideways except for Tengan (and Asahina), which may indicate something special going on with him.

MANUELF

Banned

PirateKing

Just watched the Funimation dub.

The worst voice by far is also a holdover from the first anime, Monokuma himself. His voice feels more on the grating side of things, and not in a funny way. It's a damn shame that he's the biggest miss of all. The other DR1 anime voices (Kyoko, Hiro & Hina) are fine, but I prefer the NISA dubs.

Among the newbies Ryota and Juzo stood out as particularly good casting choices. Kyosuke did feel uneven at times, particularly the opening line. Tengan was ok, but I think he should've sounded more grizzled.

Overall, I thought it was good. Not amazing, but I liked it well enough.

Yep. I vastly prefer English NISA Monokuma voice actor over the Japanese. Hope V3 is back with original Monokuma.

Busaiku

Dang, Yasuhiro and Monokuma voices were really noticeable.
They don't sound anything alike.

Kyoko and Aoi were never really too notable in terms of distinguishing speech, so they don't really bother me, but I'm so taken out by Hiro and Monokuma.

Also really don't like "Super High School Level"; much prefer "Ultimate".

So is this actually set after all the events of Ultra Despair Girls and Goodbye Despair, or is that why Byakuya's not around?

h0tp0ck3t

So is this actually set after all the events of Ultra Despair Girls and Goodbye Despair, or is that why Byakuya's not around?

Yeah Future arc is after UDG and DR2 Despair arc is before DR1 (or zero if you read it). Make sure you watch it in the order they air though if your just jumping in. Future, Despair, Future...

Capndrake

Despair 5

Holy crap, best episode yet? They're really picking up the pace now.

Yuto cameo
The real Ryota
Older Hiyoko
Junko
Mukuro (Finally with her own voice!)
Makoto
Izuru
Imposter as Togami

UberTag

With Chisa positioned as the Despair arc's protagonist, I'm curious as to whether we'll see a time jump in that arc now that Chisa has been relegated to Reserve Course duty. We'll jump ahead a few months following her probation period only for her to return to the 77th class to resume her teaching duties only to discover their behaviour drastically changed and Chiaki potentially missing (and possibly replaced by Izuru).
Looks like my time jump theory proved accurate. Diving into the rest of Despair 5 now to see what chaos has ensued.

DNAbro

Good stuff, all the pieces are now in place. And we got some Ryouta development like I guessed.

I'm curious how his story is going to play out.

Also dat cameo of Ultimate Spy.(that was him right?)

UberTag

Despair 5

Holy crap, best episode yet? They're really picking up the pace now.

Yuto cameo
The real Ryota
Older Hiyoko
Junko
Mukuro (Finally with her own voice!)
Makoto
Izuru
Imposter as Togami
I wouldn't say "best episode" because this was for all intents and purposes a bridge ep but man there was no shortage of Danganronpa fan service to make a bridge ep like this one damned entertaining. Glad they decided to get it all out of the way in one fell swoop. Very smart.

Curious to see how much exposure we'll have to Ryota in Future Episode 6 now that his back story and link to the Imposter has been largely explained. That Kirigiri investigation plotline needed advancement anyhow.

And speaking of the Imposter, I'm highly curious as to why he was impersonating Byakuya pre-Hope's Peak enrollment now.

Chiaki really embraced her Class Rep duties despite Hajime's disappearance from Hope's Peak and Chisa-sensei's absence teaching the Reserve Course students. She's such a little trooper.

That was definitely him. The Hansel & Gretel pastry bag was a dead giveaway. That and the fact that they didn't arbitrarily make him blue the way they do anyone of little consequence.

DNAbro

so they're trapped in a killing game and ryota is literally on his phone watching anime the entire time. top kek

They are going to retread the whole "it's a game within a game" with "it's an anime within an anime". We will discover that everything was an anime. Everything.

h0tp0ck3t

Chiaki really embraced her Class Rep duties despite Hajime's disappearance from Hope's Peak and Chisa-sensei's absence at the Reserve School. She's such a little trooper.

That pretty much narrows out any chances of her evading the student council killing game

Finally things will start. Junko is crazy as always, but I didn't expect her to be so overtly chaotic before the Tragedy started. And Mukuro keeps her Junko-obsessed personality from Zero - I wonder if we'll see the influence that Makoto had on her (if IF is aknowledged by Kodaka here).

This episode was pretty much filling some blanks with both Hiyoko's growth spurt and the Imposter-Mitarai relationship, but I would have liked to see the intrincacies of the Kamukura Project and if Hinata knew the full extent of it, namely erasing his personality and memories.

Yes, that was Yuto Kamishiro. Good to see Kodaka won't plainly ignore Zero, but we still haven't been introduced to the other main character of the novel. But I wonder if Matsuda played a role at all in the Kamukura Project, as he wasn't involved in the scene in this episode.

They really love her.

Permanently A

I'm actually so fucking happy about seeing Mukuro animated for the first time

if they show the scene where Makoto smiles at her for the first time

blown-away.gif

Rich!

awww yes

001.png

best girl

and

001.png

craziest girl

I wonder if the page will be updated with Izuru next week....

They also added Junko, Mukuro and Ryota as seperate characters to the character index and they added Izuru to background of Mirai-hen.

wait WHAT

edit:

you sure you dont mean zetsubou-hen?

main_img4.jpg

Shufel

Junko and Mukuro's introduction was perfection. I don't think they could have introduced those two in a better way lol.

UberTag

Despair Episode 1 dub observations...

Man oh man is it great hearing Stephanie Sheh's Mikan again. Ditto for Kira Buckland's Hiyoko. The localized characterizations for the DR2 gang blow the DR1 crew out of the water so it's great that so many of them were able to be retained. Those two, in particular, were standouts in the game and they fell right back into these roles as if they never left them.

Christine Marie Cabanos' Chiaki delivery was rather unique here. It felt off... and yet I almost think that was by design. I mean, it's clearly her but she sounds like she's voicing a real kid and not an AI construct if you catch my drift. There was a distinct difference in delivery cadence here that I didn't pick up watching this episode in Japanese but I actually sort of appreciate it.

On the recast front, Aaron Dismuke's Fuyuhiko is pretty damn solid. Kid's been voice acting for 14 years now and he's only 23. That's an amazing wealth of experience and he's still tapping into an unlimited well of potential. Suspect he'll wind up making the big bucks as a mainstay in Los Angeles working on AAA games at some point.

Brina Palencia (Ibuki) and Clarine Harp (Peko) were fine recasting choices. They had very little to work with in this episode, though so the verdict is still out on them.

I'm not nearly as impressed with Morgan Garrett's Akane (it's serviceable at best) and Scott Frerichs' Gundham comes off as a bad impression. Matching Chris Tergliafera's original delivery was an unenviable task and an impossibly tall order. I'll give him points for effort at least.

Standout performance of this episode was Colleen Clinkenbeard's Chisa. I'm biased though as I adore Colleen in just about everything. She's just so damn versatile.

I'm having a really hard time with Ricco Fajardo's Munakata. I'm hoping his delivery evens out in later episodes but his delivery is inconsistent (both here and in the Future arc premiere) and it's highly distracting.

Just to add an off-hand comment not about the dub, Teruteru enjoyed himself so much getting suspended from the ceiling by Chisa you'd swear he was a Future arc murder victim.

As an episode I can't say it was amazing, but as a Danganronpa fan Despair 5 hit all the right notes. I'm very curious about the part when Chisa was narrating her time spent in the reserve course, it sounded like she was losing her mind.

Breads

Banned
It's so weird finally seeing some of these characters on screen or at the same time as others. They even got one from DR Zero in there too. Although it finally feels like it's all coming together I wonder if they were leading up to this the whole time or if they really are just making it up as they go along.

As an episode I can't say it was amazing, but as a Danganronpa fan Despair 5 hit all the right notes. I'm very curious about the part when Chisa was narrating her time spent in the reserve course, it sounded like she was losing her mind.
I agree, that was very interesting. Definitely makes her look more suspicious imho.
Also, I love Junko narrating anything. I need a spin-off of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom