• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
This episode really cemented to me that I prefer Future arc. Not that Despair arc is bad by ANY means (it's really, really funny and good), but the fact that I spent days talking about all of the tiny intricacies of the Future arc and theorizing what's up just makes Future arc that much more fun and interesting. Despair arc, for the most part, seems to be more about filling in gaps and "fan service" (more so in terms of offering enjoyable scenes for fans of characters, particularly Mukuro and Junko in the case of this episode).

Overall, it just comes down to the wait for the Despair episode being like nothing because there's so much to talk about with respect to the Future episode, and the wait for the Future episode being a bit of a drag because no matter how good the episode is, there's a lot less to hold me over.

FStubbs

Thoughts on this episode:

- Chisa is hilarious - but so, so supicious. As has been pointed out, she seemed to not care a bit about the reserve students, beyond her information gathering. She seems to almost get the Hajime=>Izuru connection but hasn't quite connected that last line yet.
- Chiaki is best girl. But she's got more death flags than Six Flags over Texas. Hajime/Izuru seems to have spent 6 months thinking about two things: Chiaki - and his encounter with Sakakura. He's going to kill her and it's going to hurt to watch because they really do love each other (as much as they can in a show like this). And that class is really only being held together by Chiaki. When she dies, they're all easy prey for Junko.
- Junko. Wow what an entrance. Though we didn't see her shift personalities so I guess this is her true personality. She really IS Monokuma Btw. Interesting how she had the end of the world planned all along and not something she just came up with on the fly. (I guess that's her Analyst coming into play). Also just casually killing people on the way to the school - there's no way they wouldn't know what type of person Junko is.
- Mukuro. She's crazy obsessed with Junko. But the odd thing is, she also comes across as ... gentle ... and I think if it weren't for Junko, Mukuro would be harmless and actually kind of a sweetheart. Despite being Ultimate Soldier.

Random:

Chiaki will probably meet Chihiro next episode. Ultimate Programmer making a game for Ultimate Gamer - and Chihiro would then make the Chiaki AI as well.

Maybe Byakuya confronts Ultimate Impostor.

Celeste and Hiyoko will probably have a tag team put down contest on poor Mikan.

Kyoko will get right into the middle of the Izuru mystery.

I like that they made Ryoko's obsession with her notebook an actual character trait of Junko's.

Good catch! That was cool. Junko IS Ultimate Analyst at the core.

Now that you mention it, Despair 5 did give me something interesting - since Junko was so brazen, there's no way that the talent scout wouldn't have known the kind of person he was inviting to the academy. I am split on Koichi being either:

1. A third Ultimate Despair that brought Mukuro and Junko in (possibly their father; he seems to have Mukuro's eyes and Junko's hair kinda)
2. An objectivist who would allow dangerous people into the academy in order to analyze their talents

I'm less inclined to believe the second to be the case, since from what I can gather, Jin Kirigiri seems to already fit that role.

- Mukuro. She's crazy obsessed with Junko. But the odd thing is, she also comes across as ... gentle ... and I think if it weren't for Junko, Mukuro would be harmless and actually kind of a sweetheart. Despite being Ultimate Soldier.

We got a hint of that from the IF novel and her free time events in DR1, one of my hopes is that she'll get a decent bit of screen time in Despair so we can find out more about her.

Just T

If you recall the fight with the Mitarai brothers, Ryoko asks Mukuro what she thinks about her sister. It was pretty much her thoughts here, made worse in second reading when knowing Ryoko is Junko.
And yes, the character design is much better this time around, just look at this:
Mukuro is very passive. Around Junko even moreso, she only wants her acceptance. She doesn't really show any emotion to anyone but Junko and Makoto.

Combat is second nature to her, but when she really needs to fight she shuts out everything and enters a battle trance. Junko's voice can still break that though.
Yeah I remember her being passive and wanting Junko's acceptance but not it coming off that dazed I guess. However, I haven't read DR Zero since around the release of DR2, so going to reread the Mitarai fight again later, thanks for that.

And yeah that's a big improvement.

FluxWaveZ

Good catch! That was cool. Junko IS Ultimate Analyst at the core.

Yeah, ultimately, it's her ability as the Ultimate Analyst that allows her to be the Ultimate Fashionista and the Ultimate Despair. Having such a deep knowledge of trends and how other people think, she's able to influence them as she sees fit. It's neat that they kept that consistent here after DR0.

I'm a bit surprised we're going into the 78th Class's year so early into the show, as well as Izuru already being a thing. Who knows what they'll do next.
Thoughts on this episode:

- Junko. Wow what an entrance. Though we didn't see her shift personalities so I guess this is her true personality. She really IS Monokuma Btw. Interesting how she had the end of the world planned all along and not something she just came up with on the fly. (I guess that's her Analyst coming into play). Also just casually killing people on the way to the school - there's no way they wouldn't know what type of person Junko is.

My current thinking is Junko has someone already on the inside at Hope's Peak that's let her in on the Izuru Project; I wonder if Tengan knew she was the Ultimate Despair but let her attend anyways to study her.

Now that you mention it, Despair 5 did give me something interesting - since Junko was so brazen, there's no way that the talent scout wouldn't have known the kind of person he was inviting to the academy. I am split on Koichi being either:

1. A third Ultimate Despair that brought Mukuro and Junko in (possibly their father; he seems to have Mukuro's eyes and Junko's hair kinda)
2. An objectivist who would allow dangerous people into the academy in order to analyze their talents

I'm less inclined to believe the second to be the case, since from what I can gather, Jin Kirigiri seems to already fit that role.

To be fair though, aren't most students at the Main Course dangerous in some way?

But yeah I do think a cover up of some kind is going on, and I bet several members of the Steering Committee are in on. BTW, do we think there's any chance Matsuda might still show up? There's been an awful lot of focus on Junko to just pass over him; he's her second most important person to her after Mukuro.

Do you suppose there's sort of a 'Batman and the Joker' thing going on with Naegi and Junko? 'An Unstoppable Force strikes an Unmovable Object' type dea.

Has there ever been a character whose only thing is Ultimate Hope or Ultimate Despair?

Makoto is Luck/Hope, Mukuro is Soldier/Despair, Junko is Fashionista/Analyst/Despair, Izuru is Everything/Hope, and Nagito wanted to be Luck/Hope

I'm a bit surprised we're going into the 78th Class's year so early into the show, as well as Izuru already being a thing. Who knows what they'll do next.

My current thinking is Junko has someone already on the inside at Hope's Peak that's let her in on the Izuru Project; I wonder if Tengan knew she was the Ultimate Despair but let her attend anyways to study her.

It's definitely Koichi if it is anyone, because it would be his job to scout for her in the first place. I could see Tengan being complicit though.

To be fair though, aren't most students at the Main Course dangerous in some way?

But yeah I do think a cover up of some kind is going on, and I bet several members of the Steering Committee are in on. BTW, do we think there's any chance Matsuda might still show up? There's been an awful lot of focus on Junko to just pass over him; he's her second most important person to her after Mukuro.

Do you suppose there's sort of a 'Batman and the Joker' thing going on with Naegi and Junko? 'An Unstoppable Force strikes an Unmovable Object' type dea.

That is true, but it's varying degrees of danger, y'know? Sakura and Nekomaru may be destructive forces of nature, but ultimately they are less willing to use it to harm than others may be. It's just like a gun - anyone with a gun is potentially dangerous, but a serial killer with a gun is likely to be dangerous. Same thing here - an ultimate talent is dangerous (as Nagito demonstrates), but an ultimate talent + ultimate despair is especially dangerous.

Matsuda I could see showing up, just because we are seeing others from Zero show up.

And yeah, I think that might be the case w/ Makoto and Junko - it really shows too with Monaca, who is trying to be Junko herself and is, as such, treating Makoto and associates differently than the rest.

Has there ever been a character whose only thing is Ultimate Hope or Ultimate Despair?

Makoto is Luck/Hope, Mukuro is Soldier/Despair, Junko is Fashionista/Analyst/Despair, Izuru is Everything/Hope, and Nagito wanted to be Luck/Hope.

Do we know if the Izuru Project actually was a success? I dunno if I'd go so far as to sa he was an Ultimate Hope. Keep in mind both Nagito and Izuru also are Ultimate Despairs.

It's definitely Koichi if it is anyone, because it would be his job to scout for her in the first place. I could see Tengan being complicit though.

I don't think Tengan is a Despair per se; I just think he was highly morally flexible in trying to achieve Hope. "THE GREATER GOOD" and all that.

FStubbs

As far as her person on the inside of the Izuru project (as opposed to getting her admitted to the academy), I think that would be Matsuda. I can't think they'd do this project and not have the Ultimate Neurologist in on it. Especially since he seems to have special privileges in DR0.

Junko does definitely have some Joker-ish traits. Mukuro's love for Makoto is obvious but from what I saw in DR0 and DR2 there's something for him in Junko too. Maybe like Yuzuha from Tenchi Movie 2: "Imagine ... the darkness in love with the light."

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The game dubs are pretty good but funi's anime dubs are baaaad

I watched the first episode of DR:TA last night and hooooooooly fuck.

I'm not one to complain about bad dubs, but it was awful. No PUHUHUHUHU from Monokuma?

MOVING ON.

...A WILD JUNKO APPEARS. And Mukuro too! \o/

Yup. Chikai is the glue holding the class together, she's going to die and everything is going to go to shit.

Breads

Banned
This episode really cemented to me that I prefer Future arc. Not that Despair arc is bad by ANY means (it's really, really funny and good), but the fact that I spent days talking about all of the tiny intricacies of the Future arc and theorizing what's up just makes Future arc that much more fun and interesting. Despair arc, for the most part, seems to be more about filling in gaps and "fan service" (more so in terms of offering enjoyable scenes for fans of characters, particularly Mukuro and Junko in the case of this episode).

Overall, it just comes down to the wait for the Despair episode being like nothing because there's so much to talk about with respect to the Future episode, and the wait for the Future episode being a bit of a drag because no matter how good the episode is, there's a lot less to hold me over.

Did you follow the Orenronen Dangan Ronpa threads that started like five-six years ago? That was the main way I experienced DR 1, DR Zero, and the first half of DR 2 for the longest time. Even though he spent a lot of time perfecting his incredible translation the fact of the matter is that the updates were drip fed over months and months and in that time I pretty much exhausted the speculation hype I had for the story and is kind of why I am so glad to see it all come together in the Despair arc. If not for that I would probably agree with you about the future arc. Instead to me, because of how much it built up in my head, I'm finding the future arc neat....but overall not as important, or day I say, interesting. I mean it IS interesting, it's just that the scale of the intrigue feels kind of limited in scope compared to the holes Despair arc is plugging up in what... 3-4 different stories? To me Despair arc is like a victory lap for a ton of old characters and I'm just sitting back and enjoying it as the main story wraps up and we move onto DR3.

I guess part of that sentiment comes from the fact that they billed Future/Despair arc as being kind of seperate from DR3 so internally I kind of partitioned future arc away from DR3 but if what goes on does indeed carry over to DR3 I think I might turnaround on the series yet. They are both half way through so it's too early to tell but yeah - that's just my two cents.

Luigi87

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

As soon as she stepped out of the taxi
"Oh shit, it's Junko!"
Then it goes back
"Oh shit, it's a bomb!"

Yessssssssssssssssss. This is the Danganronpa anime I've wanted (and I really liked that we got to see Makoto's arrival).

Also Imposter and Mitarai's story I really liked.

junkuro.gif

The_Kid

See I'm wondering why anything would happen so soon? In the first game when recalling things the first year of class 78 was generally regarded as a good year. It wasn't until their second year that things went to hell.

Or does that mean we'll see class 78 left alone and focus on the first killing game, etc.

Luigi87

See I'm wondering why anything would happen so soon? In the first game when recalling things the first year of class 78 was generally regarded as a good year. It wasn't until their second year that things went to hell.

Or does that mean we'll see class 78 left alone and focus on the first killing game, etc.

The start of the second year is when The Tragedy happens.

During the 78th's first year though (this coming year) is when the first mutual killing game (which wasn't a game but more of an ultimatum) with the Student Council happens, as well as the events of DR/0.

So as you said I think we'll see them left alone for the most part, and we'll see things focusing on what's happening elsewhere and the effects it has.

I'm sure they have other surprises for the rest of the twists.

Junko and Mukuro's introduction was perfection. I don't think they could have introduced those two in a better way lol.
That car ride lol
Did she just caught a thrown grenade with a glass of wine ? Man that's ... well

---------------
The plot is moving forward , and that time skip was certainly needed , chiaki is at the core of her class , more than ever , damn that loss is going to be something

That growth spurt:
dangan_des_05_01.gif

Man Hopefully we'll see the despair sisters at work during this arc, hopefully with more cameo from class 78

Ps: Mikan first thinking that someone will try to elope with her , then thinking she will die , then stripping because of her preconceptions was a nice moment ... Without a doubt , mikan's a great girl when she wasn't corrupted.

FluxWaveZ

If Chiaki's death is what's supposed to be the trigger fo convert the 77th class to despair, they better do a damn good job of conveying it emotionally. Fuyuhiko's sister was killed, one he no doubt cared for much more than Chiaki, and that wasn't even his boiling point.

Luigi87

Didn't expect Despair to swerve so hard into DR Zero territory, but it makes sense. DR Zero is probably required reading now if this doesn't end up being a half recap of that.

There was so much small shit in this episode reference wise that they don't dawdle on.

Also holy crap, I totally missed Yuto originally.
... which is incredibly fitting, lol

a little interesting that basically two cars got blown up and that doesn't seem to faze this world that much

i was amused by sonji and gundham suddenly being in sync, nice to see they naturally ended up like that over time

animator's story i guess was interesting to know about and his relation with imposter, i guess he's dead next

FluxWaveZ

animator's story i guess was interesting to know about and his relation with imposter, i guess he's dead next

I bet you Ryota lives. This isn't the same kind of death flag setup that Seiko had going; this one feels rather different. More like a look into his psyche as a means of foreshadowing what he might do in the future.

Future arc episode 6 preview:

r5JEjwa.gif

Nah, there's still more to develop and show with Ryota. We got more of a peak at him and what makes him tick for now, but there's more to explore before/if they off him. He's more unique than the other FF members, feels like he's going to be around for a while.

first we had real Junko, then AI Junko, now anime Junko.

yes Ryota's animator skills are so good he made a Junko anime character that gained sentience and started drawing herself so she could make plans for Future arc.

Junko is Aizen.

Permanently A

first we had real Junko, then AI Junko, now anime Junko.

yes Ryota's animator skills are so good he made a Junko anime character that gained sentience and started drawing herself so she could make plans for Future arc.

Junko is Aizen.

ALRIGHT NEW CRACK THEORY

Kodaka said DR3's story could only be told through an anime. Why? Because its an anime in an anime. Ryota drew Future arc. It would explain why Chisa watches herself dying in the movie theatre. It would explain why Ryota keeps staring at his phone - he's looking at the viewership numbers, ratings and blu-ray sales. It would explain why Juzo's knife disappeared from the wall despite them being in the same location and seemingly no timeskip. What Kirigiri noticed was an animation inconsistency.

UberTag

ALRIGHT NEW CRACK THEORY

Kodaka said DR3's story could only be told through an anime. Why? Because its an anime in an anime. Ryota drew Future arc. It would explain why Chisa watches herself dying in the movie theatre. It would explain why Ryota keeps staring at his phone - he's looking at the viewership numbers, ratings and blu-ray sales. It would explain why Juzo's knife disappeared from the wall despite them being in the same location and seemingly no timeskip. What Kirigiri noticed was an animation inconsistency.
<chuckles> I hate to entertain this idea but it could also explain why the blood is red instead of its traditional pink.

FluxWaveZ

also I love her but anime chiaki is getting seriously mary sue

Unfortunately, she has the perfect personality of artificial intelligence. They could have given Chiaki's personality more depth as a real person with some actual flaws (some of which were hinted at upon her introduction and her social reclusiveness), but they went for the same "waifu" route she had in DR2.

Perhaps we'll actually see Chiaki crack for once and not have this "it's all under control" complexion when she's forced into the killing game.

PK Gaming

If Chiaki's death is what's supposed to be the trigger fo convert the 77th class to despair, they better do a damn good job of conveying it emotionally. Fuyuhiko's sister was killed, one he no doubt cared for much more than Chiaki, and that wasn't even his boiling point.

Heh, I've pretty much given up all hope on the DR2 characters progressively succumbing to Despair as their lives get more and more fucked up at school.

Like, does the anime even remember the significance of TeruTeru's mother? The physical/mental abuse that Mikan, Soda, Gundam and Hiyoki had to deal with at home? Akane's fucked up home life (actually I doubt it would matter), Ibuki's band trouble? All of that was basically thrown out in this anime, and you can bet your ass Chiaki's death is absolutely going to make the entire class to succumb into Despair, causing me to succumb into Despair irl.

Future arc episode 6 preview:

r5JEjwa.gif

I want him to kill like at least, 2 people.

Heh, I've pretty much given up all hope on the DR2 characters progressively succumbing to Despair as their lives get more and more fucked up at school.

Like, does the anime even remember the significance of TeruTeru's mother? The physical/mental abuse that Mikan, Soda, Gundam and Hiyoki had to deal with at home? Akane's fucked up home life (actually I doubt it would matter), Ibuki's band trouble? All of that was basically thrown out in this anime, and you can bet your ass Chiaki's death is absolutely going to make the entire class to succumb into Despair, causing me to succumb into Despair irl.
i resigned myself to the fact it would likely be a fast drastic change instead of a slow descent into depravity once it was announced as 12 episodes.

Puruzi

Banned
I don't know why you expected they'd succumb to despair slowly when it was said multiple times that it only happened after they met Junko, and she wasn't there until just now.

PK Gaming

I don't know why you expected they'd succumb to despair slowly when it was said multiple times that it only happened after the met Junko, and she wasn't there until just now.

Breh

I'm not asking for full blown despair. But I think a change in characterization for characters like Fuyukiko and Mahiru would have been absolutely appreciated. The way I figured in the 2nd game, each of them slowly degraded as people until Junko came in and corrupted them at their most vulnerable state.

Permanently A

Unfortunately, she has the perfect personality of artificial intelligence. They could have given Chiaki's personality more depth as a real person with some actual flaws (some of which were hinted at upon her introduction and her social reclusiveness), but they went for the same "waifu" route she had in DR2.

Perhaps we'll actually see Chiaki crack for once and not have this "it's all under control" complexion when she's forced into the killing game.

I guess they were forced to make her a character everyone loves because otherwise they don't have a strong catalyst to kickstart everyone into despair

I don't know why you expected they'd succumb to despair slowly when it was said multiple times that it only happened after they met Junko, and she wasn't there until just now.
uh yeah she has like a whole year(I don't know how long Zero lasted), that's more than enough time for it to be portrayed as "slow"

What really should have happened is that Mahiru, Fuyuhiko, and Peko would all be a lot more withdrawn due to what happened. We already know how they would have fallen to despair, so by doing that, they could have made the focus on the other 13. Hiyoko could easily fall into despair due to Mahiru; Mikan is an easy sell; and Kazuichi will go into despair when Sonia does (and Sonia would fall into despair for Gundham, and possibly vice versa). That leaves Nekomaru, Ultimate Impostor, Akane, Ibuki, Teruteru, Nagito, and Izuru.

Unfortunately, I think that the only characters who will be focused upon in this respect will be Nagito and Izuru.

PK Gaming

What really should have happened is that Mahiru, Fuyuhiko, and Peko would all be a lot more withdrawn due to what happened. We already know how they would have fallen to despair, so by doing that, they could have made the focus on the other 13. Hiyoko could easily fall into despair due to Mahiru; Mikan is an easy sell; and Kazuichi will go into despair when Sonia does (and Sonia would fall into despair for Gundham, and possibly vice versa). That leaves Nekomaru, Ultimate Impostor, Akane, Ibuki, Teruteru, Nagito, and Izuru.

Unfortunately, I think that the only characters who will be focused upon in this respect will be Nagito and Izuru.

Bingo

Having it go down like this would have been sooooooooo good

Pics_nao

Just watched it. Man, Mukuro is so fucked up in the head. Still, glad to see her back. Was always my favorite character from DR1 for some reason.

Hope Izuru kicks Boxer's ass.

MANUELF

Banned
Isnt Junko supposed to be part of some upper class as the ultimate analyst red headed and amnesic? Or will that happen after she meets the 78 class?

UberTag

Isnt Junko supposed to be part of some upper class as the ultimate analyst red headed and amnesic? Or will that happen after she meets the 78 class?
That happens between the first killing game with Izuru and company and the 2nd one. She takes on the Ryoko Otonashi persona to test out the memory-wiping process that would be inflicted upon the 78th class prior to their game.

No memory wipe was needed for the first game. Junko just had to incite that one.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
lol, Junko appearance is full of despair. RIP unnamed taxi driver and that poor guy who accidentally got hit by a random grenade

I wonder if Chisa show her talent when teaching reserve class (as in, wearing her apron when teaching)

FStubbs

My view of class 77 from the scenes the last couple of episodes, some quick looks at their faces here and there, is that they are very, very broken even right now. Chiaki is the only thing keeping them afloat. They're pretty obviously unhealthily attached to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom