• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

NEZIsoel.png

BSNNfNbl.png

0EuSKd0l.png

Luigi87

Despair 07

Holy. Shit...

I mean we knew the first mutual killings were coming, but I was not ready to see it in full... Some of that was just savage.

Also the brainwashing anime, at first I thought it seemed, dumb, but actually it makes perfect sense. It's not so much the anime, but the way things manipulate our five senses (which is exactly why Junko was anaylzing it the second time around). That way she can use similar techniques to manipulate people toward despair.

Remember in DR/0, there are brainwashed Monokuma people who have watched the first mutual killings over 5000 times. Now we know she shows the video, but edited in a way that affects the senses that she learned from Mitarai.

That also being said, I feel this actually may take some suspicion OFF of Mitarai.

Now we know she shows the video, but edited in a way that affects the senses that she learned from Mitarai.

That also being said, I feel this actually may take some suspicion OFF of Mitarai.

I believe he was scouted to the Future Foundation by Tengan himself, and is in charge of restoring culture. I wonder if that's him trying to make amends for (maybe) being the cause of the Reserve Course suicide? Trying to brainwash people into forgetting despair?

FluxWaveZ

Also the brainwashing anime, at first I thought it seemed, dumb, but actually it makes perfect sense. It's not so much the anime, but the way things manipulate our five senses (which is exactly why Junko was anaylzing it the second time around). That way she can use similar techniques to manipulate people toward despair.

Remember in DR/0, there are brainwashed Monokuma people who have watched the first mutual killings over 5000 times. Now we know she shows the video, but edited in a way that affects the senses that she learned from Mitarai.

I don't think people disappointed at the prospect of a brainwashing anime causing the DR2 cast's downfall have that opinion because of the possibility within the Danganronpa world that such a thing could exist. It's because it would be a Diabolus ex Machina. People would react the same if the device was "Junko acquires a special mind control helmet from her neurologist buddy and uses it to spread despair." There is no depth, no real build-up, no real satisfying character development. Especially when, up until this point, we were lead to believe that Junko herself was influential and charismatic enough to spread despair on her own.

FluxWaveZ

Thats what Junko does though. Just like how she used Matsuda's neurology research.

Do you mean to influence people to despair; to her side as accomplices? She didn't use Matsuda's neurology research for that.

I mean, ultimately, it was for that goal, but it wasn't a direct result of it. There is no magical plot device machine that she had used to influence people—or so we were lead to assume—until potentially now.

Luigi87

I believe he was scouted to the Future Foundation by Tengan himself, and is in charge of restoring culture. I wonder if that's him trying to make amends for (maybe) being the cause of the Reserve Course suicide? Trying to brainwash people into forgetting despair?
I could very much see that.

I don't think people disappointed at the prospect of a brainwashing anime causing the DR2 cast's downfall have that opinion because of the possibility within the Danganronpa world that such a thing could exist. It's because it would be a Diabolus ex Machina. People would react the same if the device was "Junko acquires a special mind control helmet from her neurologist buddy and uses it to spread despair." There is no depth, no real build-up, no real satisfying character development. Especially when, up until this point, we were lead to believe that Junko herself was influential and charismatic enough to spread despair on her own.
That's a fair point.
Being said I'll take this over that despair book from Danganronpa Togami.

Of course time will tell. There's still five eps left and plenty of time for Junko to meet the rest of the 77th Class, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that for them at least there will be more than just the brainwashing.
... I hope.

Edit: Of course for the next couple of months Junko will be Ryoko so I dunno...

Eumi

Do you mean to influence people to despair; to her side as accomplices? She didn't use Matsuda's neurology research for that.
She used mind control and hypnosis on the students in 0 though. It's been established for years that that's something she'd totally do.

Matsudas stuff, maybe not? But it's not out of character for her to do so.

FluxWaveZ

She used mind control and hypnosis on the students in 0 though. It's been established for years that that's something she'd totally do.

Matsudas stuff, maybe not? But it's not out of character for her to do so.

The thing is that there's a significant difference between faceless and nameless background characters and the Danganronpa 2 main cast.

Luigi87

Btw, if we're still under the impression that the FF were moved locations in Future arc, we can say now that they're definitely at Hope's Peak ("new" East campus building), right? Since seeing it from the outside there during the start of the parade.

Eumi

The thing is that there's a significant difference between faceless and nameless background characters and the Danganronpa 2 main cast.
That's pretty much the crux I guess. It's all on how much you actually care about how they fell to despair.

Cause I couldn't care less how since I long ago abandoned any hope in the DR backstory being satisfying once they whipped out 'Local girl ruins everything' on a planetary scale, but at the same time I can definitely see how it could cheapen the characters for a lot of people.

We'll have to wait and see since this episode didn't really do anything other than draw more attention to the brainwashing stuff and it could still be unrelated to the fall of the DR2 cast, but they really don't have the time now to craft good reasons for every member so it will likely be one single thing that hits them all.

Wow...

This episode was fuull of clues and retcons

But it was savage.

Tsumiki was tied in a VERY specific way .. i can't help but think some of it was self inflicted.

But the anime ..... what a giant clue ... so meta i haven't thought enough about what this matters yet .. that's how big of a reveal this is.

Nagito plane crashed near an oasis in the middle of a desert ?? He's the only survivor ? And he somehow misses the giant mess that's happenning at hope's peak ? HOW CONVENIENT ! How lucky

Still the killing game, man , i'm actually glad it was censored.. The shovel was savage .
I need to process those events too.

Also I noticed there was another Yu Narukami in the student council, just amusing to see at this point.
So is the brainwashing the class going to be using Ryota's anime? Seems a bit disappointing was hoping to see Junko slowly convince each one to join her in despairland.

Red Frost

Banned
I really wasn't expecting them to show the first killing game, and in enough detail to require censorship. Did anything conflict what we know from DR 0?

Actually, that got me thinking that we really haven't seen any overt depictions of gore in the franchise before, only descriptions. The closest we've gotten is a robot getting decapitated. I wonder how it'll look uncensored, and how jarring it will be to see the pink blood alongside entrails and bone and whatnot.

But damn, I wanted to learn more about these guys. Their pasts, what kind of sadistic torture methods Junko used on their families, hell even their names would be nice. Though I guess that's pretty much what Battle Royale is, so ah well. Still, super chilling scene, jeez.

Anyway, I have no problem with the brainwashing anime being a tool (as in not the main reason) why the reserve course and maybe even large swaths of the outside world fell into despair, but it would be lame as hell if that was the catalyst for Class 77's fall, even lamer than Chiaki's death. We have real, tangible reasons for them to fall and boiling it down to "lol brainwashing" would be probably the biggest disappointment in the entire franchise.

I will say I'm glad we're seeing Mikan being in direct contact with Junko. Her breakdown in DR2 suggested a much more personal level of manipulation.

OH

OH

Real Chiaki will be alive, will be a part of the Future Foundation, and will be what makes Izuru finally able to cast himself aside and allow Hajime to take control.

EDIT: Also, I'm kind of thinking that Tengan might be getting suspicious again. I mean, yeah, he is dead (maybe), but there are so many flags. How he used to be opposed to the Remnants of Despair, how he is sympathetic to the cover-ups, etc. I don't want him to be the villain, but I could definitely see it being a possibility. That said, Koichi's role in this is swimming around my head. I'm really curious what is going to come up with him. I don't know that he will be an attacker or that he will be a mastermind or that he will be an agent of the mastermind, but I think he's one of those. The left hand thing, his closeness to Jin Kirigiri, him toying with Kyoko like that, etc. One thing that HAS changed though - I think that it will be that while he is indeed responsible for something about this killing game, I think that he will legitimately try to protect Kyoko as a promise to Jin.

In DR2, didn't the creepy nurse (can't remember her name) say she murdered for the person she loved, he would understand why she did it and they were a remnant of despair too?

Ryota seems kinda suspicious.

FluxWaveZ

In DR2, didn't the creepy nurse (can't remember her name) say she murdered for the person she loved, he would understand why she did it and they were a remnant of despair too?

Ryota seems kinda suspicious.

You might be confusing a lot of things. I think you're talking about Mikan? And, in DR2, she said she killed for a girl. She was talking about Junko.

Red Frost

Banned
Just rewatched the scene and took a good look at that photo of the girl's mom. Didn't notice her being strapped to a chair with dead eyes before and those torture tools right next to it.

Holy shit, that's so fucked up. And Junko did this to the families of 14 people. Fucking christ this girl. And she still had time to do similar things to the missing trustees and probably legions of other people during the tragedy itself. So easy to forget how terrifying of a villain she is.

Naegi vs. Munakata vs. Nanami vs. Kamakura

Hope hope hope hope

EDIT: I meant Munakata, you nerds are tripping me up

You might be confusing a lot of things. I think you're talking about Mikan? And, in DR2, she said she killed for a girl. She was talking about Junko.

She never used female pronouns or used Junko's name, so I'm not sure if there's any other identifying factors involved

FluxWaveZ

She never used female pronouns or used Junko's name, so I'm not sure if there's any other identifying factors involved

You're right, she just says "my beloved." I think it'd have to be Junko when DR2 was being written, but I suppose that vagueness gives them an out if they changed it to someone else, and if it was similarly nebulous in Japanese.

Red Frost

Banned
Does anyone remember the description of the killing game in DR0? I'd like to read that part again to see if they match up 1:1. I do remember some actual gore descriptions, but nothing specific.

FluxWaveZ

Does anyone remember the description of the killing game in DR0? I'd like to read that part again to see if they match up 1:1. I do remember some actual gore descriptions, but nothing specific.

There's also that messed up and bloody DR1 classroom you could check.

Luigi87

There's also that messed up and bloody DR1 classroom you could check.
I don't think it matched up entirely 1:1. I remember it mentioning a scene of a girl holding up a knife in defense, and a guy who was running (after killing two people) tripping into it and dying. But now that may be the guy who killed the lovers and then got chainsaw'd... I dunno.

I think it mentioned eight bodies in the classroom (which... I think is accurate to the anime?)

btw, forgot to mention that I loved that they display Junko sending the email to the Reserve course students in the style of a Final Argument.

I'm glad they didn't pull any punches and the massacre was brutal. It should be. After all its the most tragic despair inducing incident in history. Also I'm glad it was short. We knew what it was already and it didn't need to be dragged out. After all its just a catalyst to the events to come.

Luigi87

I'm glad they didn't pull any punches and the massacre was brutal. It should be. After all its the most tragic despair inducing incident in history. Also I'm glad it was short. We knew what it was already and it didn't need to be dragged out. After all its just a catalyst to the events to come.

That's coming later. This was biggest most awful event in Hope's Peak's history.

... Semantics, but there are two "Tragedy" situations in Danganronpa, lol

MANUELF

Banned
I still dont understand why they killed each other, was it a case of you kill me or kill each other? I didnt see any reason to do that, the hostages?, their secrets?

Red Frost

Banned
I don't think it matched up entirely 1:1. I remember it mentioning a scene of a girl holding up a knife in defense, and a guy who was running (after killing two people) tripping into it and dying. But now that may be the guy who killed the lovers and then got chainsaw'd... I dunno.

We only saw 9 deaths on screen (with 1 implied for the red hair guy getting chainsawed), so there are still blanks that DR0 could have covered.

Trying to figure out the duration of the killing game. I assume a semi-significant amount of time passed between red haired guy accidentally killing shovel girl and then shoveling the couple to death just based on his different disposition in both scenes.

Boy, this is certainly going to be something to analyze.

Luigi87

I still dont understand why they killed each other, was it a case of you kill me or kill each other? I didnt see any reason to do that, the hostages?, their secrets?

The first thing was the threat that Mukuro would start killing them if they didn't kill each other.

Then when that one girl saw what Junko had done to her mother, she became desperate to do anything with the false hope that getting out of there that she could save her.
Then things spun out of control.

What I like is at the end of DR/0 Junko thought back to this event, and even though she knew she would be using the memory erasing drugs on the 78th class, that it would be way more entertaining if, unlike this mutual killing event, she would get them to kill each other without ever killing any of them herself. This led to the creation of the school rules during the School Life of Mutual Killing, where as long as nobody broke the rules they could continue to live out their lives forever.

... Mind you she was going to blackmail Sakura to start the killings (which still would mean she herself wasn't starting them), but then Sayaka went and began everything when she attempted to kill Leon.

We only saw 9 deaths on screen (with 1 implied for the red hair guy getting chainsawed), so there are still blanks that DR0 could have covered.

Trying to figure out the duration of the killing game. I assume a semi-significant amount of time passed between red haired guy accidentally killing shovel girl and then shoveling the couple to death just based on his different disposition in both scenes.

Boy, this is certainly going to be something to analyze.

That's true.
And yeah, the time frame of the whole incident is a tad difficult to nail. I likely could have been hours.

Do despair and future have the same amount of episodes, I find it very interesting that a despair episode is apparently going to be the last one of the series.

1) Mukuro threat
2) The secret of the student concil president
3) the hostage with that student mom
4) Stress and survival instincts after the first spark made the situation explode.

Jubern

Hear me out guys: wasn't the buff guy in the student council...
Gozu?

The resemblance (build/hairstyle) is uncanny though I'm not 100% sure since Kenta Miyake isn't credited.

What do you guys think?

Red Frost

Banned
Hear me out guys: wasn't the buff guy in the student council...
Gozu?

The resemblance (build/hairstyle) is uncanny though I'm not 100% sure since Kenta Miyake isn't credited.

What do you guys think?

Gozu was 69th class, so he graduated a long time ago.

Red Frost

Banned
We've always known she wasn't a good person, but I feel like Mukuro has gotten much less sympathetic. Shouldn't be rooting for her in DR IF anymore.

I like how the imposter ends up in ultimate despair but Ryota goes to FF when right now it looks like it should be the opposite, da fuck happened.

im going to be upset if the fall of class 77 has anything to do with brainwashing, it's giving them an out instead of facing the harsh reality that they are evil horrible people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom